Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The respec system - do you like it?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Thyiad, May 8, 2010.

1. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

The respec system - do you like it?

I was wondering how everyone was getting on with respec system now we've had 1.13a/b/c for a while and people may have had a chance to use it.

Q - Have you used it, do you plan to, what did you think of its implementation?

Before - I admit that wasn't enthused with the idea of it when I first heard of it. Yes, I play another game which has a respec system and it has been useful; as my gear improved and I understood the game more, I was able to use it to optimize. But for some reason, it didn't seem right for D2.

During - I have respec'd two characters; Cahani (for whom I can't find a Mat thread) and WarpEight.

Cahani was originally a 200% FCR Meteorber. I built her because I fancied 200% FCR and everyone seemed to think Meteorbs rock with relatively inexpensive gear.

FO, I do like. It's very pretty and I'm fond of skills which don't require aiming. :D However I admit I never really liked the build. No doubt I'll be slated for saying this, but FO always seemed weak as a back up. (I admit my gear is a LOT better than when she was first made.) Fire was nice; I enjoy dropping meteors but my aim with fireball was never going to set the mobs alight. :embarassed:

Cahani is now a 200% FCR Blizzballer. "Blizzard is timed, Thy"- so is meteor and FO and I LIKE blizzard. :p Lot of power, lot of speed and I'm glad I did it. She isn't as MF'y as my full Tals Blizzballer but she's teleports faster and does more damage. Yo ho HotO. :D

WarpEight was part of my Infinity sept. He was the dual wielding Frenzy barb using lightning gemmed phase blades. He wasn't terrible, I just have problems with the speed (take him out of run, I know!).

WarpEight is now a sword WW'er. I was mucking around with my WW goldfinders and wanted to try Death and Oath as a combo. Yeah he isn't whirling as quick as my axe guy, but I'll level him a bit and see. He may well get respec'd back to his original build because I feel a bit guilty respec'ing one of the sept.

After - The one thing I really don't like about the respec system is that it's very broad. You can take a passive zon and turn her into a full light zon. I think respec'ing only within the trees would have been and interesting idea. But probably impossible to program. Whether it would be too limiting, I'm not sure. Possibly.

I doubt I will use respec'ing as a regular thing. I certainly won't play a build one way and then count on being able to respec in a later difficulty. It wouldn't seem right to me. Which I know is odd because I have no issue twinking and melee'ing my way with sorceresses and swapping to spells later on. :D

2. inter

inter Diabloii.Net Member

Re: The respec system - do you like it?

I like a few things about the respec system; making builds that rely on high level skills or items possible without rushing and heavy low level twinking. For example it makes a wolf barb playable before reaching lvl 79.

Three 'free" respecs feels a bit much though. I think one would be enough and I would prefer the one in Hell. I like the idea of having the possibility of infinite respecs by farming essences.

I have used one respec so far, and that's my zealot Cee-Lo that got a small make over. I might use it on one or two more of my old chars, like respecing the mistake of not having max block on my hammerdin and remake my fishyzon into a full lightningzon for cow running.

3. zarirazz

zarirazz Diabloii.Net Member

i used some of my respecs just for the sake of using them, and mainly for stats optimization for my end game gear. except for my wolfbarb, since the main playing experience is only after equipping wolfhowl. prior to that, he was a sword ww-er.

apart from that wolfbarb, the skills are basically unchanged for the 3 other characters made in 1.13, even after the reset. reason being that i'd like to gain a little hands-on experience on the builds' skill sets through leveling.

4. mesmerPT

mesmerPT Diabloii.Net Member

I certainly enjoy the respec system a lot. It makes the game much more dynamic :)

5. Eric Xanthu

Eric Xanthu Diabloii.Net Member

Mixed feelings. Like most SPers I imagine, I like rebuilding and I have dozens of mats and pats floating around. With respec you really only need 7 characters for trying out every end-game build. I can't decide if that's a good thing.

On the other hand, it's been fun going back and re-specing some of my old mats/pats where I made mistakes or realized later that I should have done something differently. This part I like.

I refuse to respec Mihana before she finishes 99 even though she should probably max Blast instead of Spike. That's just me being stubborn. But I do like the idea of using respecs on her to test out "99 builds." If I had the gear I'd make a 99 dream sorc. Might also try a few other goofy ideas. Having max points to redistribute will be novel (for a bit).

6. LongingForDeath

LongingForDeath Diabloii.Net Member

I've used it a few times and I like it. But I only use it to optimize characters, so it's mainly a stat points thing. I haven't and won't use it to change the build itself, because then I'd feel like I never really played the new build.

7. BabyLink

BabyLink Diabloii.Net Member

I have not used it yet in SP, but did it online. It's pretty cool. I will use it on my blizzballer later to turn her into a pure blizzard sorc.

8. frozzzen

frozzzen Diabloii.Net Member

Optimizing characters is what I love. I don't have mixed up feelings about respecing. I love it and I will abuse it shamelessly.

That said I hunted those essences from all act bosses and have 40 Tokens for various experiments with builds. I love my old characters and I want to give them chance again. My first ever sorceress will become PvP sorc, she will not root somewhere and not be used at all. It's for the better I think.

As for "Only 7 characters is enough to play game" and similar - yes, but I still like making new characters. Why I didn't respeced my poison necro to play PvP games with Bone nec instead?

9. Arkardo

Arkardo Diabloii.Net Member

I like the respec, but I think it's made a bit too easy. I think it would've been better if you could only respec, say, one attribute or one skill tree at a time. Or have the essences be more rare.

I've used it a couple of times now. The first respec was to change a fail titan barb whilrler to a win whirler. The second was to optimize the attributes of a zealot. The third time was to optimize an untwinked trapper. The last time was to optimize the same zealot once more.

10. tavaritz

tavaritz Banned

I haven't used it, but my characters do not save stat points anymore. If I need more strength for an item and I cannot get it from anywhere else I will promptly respec.

All my characters know how to spent skill points, so I cannot see me using respec for that, but one never knows. I might eventually try respecing my meteorb for pure blizzard, but on the other hand...

11. ron

ron Diabloii.Net Member

I like that I have the option to respec now. Would have been a godsend at the very end of 1.09d when I was learning how to play. I didn't read guides or anything so it was all trial and error. I remember my first sorc. I destroyed thru norm and NM, but couldn't get out of cold plains in act 1 hell. I gimped my sorc out by having points in all 3 trees. The only solution was to rebuild.

That doesn't happen anymore, I now know how many points I will have in each skill before I begin most times. However it is still nice to be able to respec stat points to compensate for gear changes.

12. nebux

nebux Diabloii.Net Member

i don't use it atm, just started playing 1.13. but maybe i'll use it to improve some finished builds that i have (better charms with stats, better socketed gear etc.).

13. o1d_dude

o1d_dude Diabloii.Net Member

I have used it once to correct a misplaced skill point. Beyond that, not a big fan but I can see where folks could use it to build a cookie cutter build to get to Hell where they respec to something out of the ordinary. Cheesy? Mebbe. Mebbe not.

14. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy Diabloii.Net Member

[rant]I'm staying away from 1.13 for two reasons: re-spec and increased rune drops.

Re-spec really bugs me because it takes away PvM and pushes toward two stages of optimization - early leveling and then end-game instead of just the latter. I have made two Wolfbarbs. With the respec system, I would essentially run the character up to clvl 30, pump WW, and then re-spec into the build I wanted. Or something similar for other characters. Did I mention I really like playing through the game, even if my characters are super-twinked?

I also don't like re-spec because of the current way I get most of my high-runes - I have mat/pat'd 50+ (or more?) characters - do it enough and the mals/ists/guls drop for you in sufficient quantities (my last three characters went gul, ist, mal, um from NM/Hell helforge).

I see re-spec as really useful for characters that have a life after their they kill Baal in hell. These are your runners, MF'ers, PvP'ers, etc. Or characters that need a stupidly high clvl to use some vital piece of equipment (read: Arachnid's Mesh @ clvl 81, Tomb Reaver @ clvl 84, +2 skill Amulets @ clvl 89, etc.) Most of my characters finish the game between clvl 78 and 81 - unless I'm doing something else with them, they're stopping there, getting stripped of their gear and something new starts. I only keep a few characters all-together (or mostly) at the same time. They are:

clvl 97 blizzballer
    clvl 93 CS-running hammerdin
    200 FCR LK runner (soon to be replaced by 200 FCR barb)
    MF sorc (full tal's)
    Mavina magezon (seriously...she just sits there - she's old and her charms are crap, but whatever)
    WF zon pit runner
    Gold find barb
    probably one or two more

But above this, I have no use for the respec system.

That all said, I have never been happy with the skill/stat distribution on my clvl 97 blizzballer (mostly b/c I was significantly invested in her when I dl'd RWM and went /w Spirit) and if I go with it, she's the first one to hit the respec button.

(And the rune drops just bother the hell out of me.)

[/rant]

15. Low Key

Low Key Diabloii.Net Member

I'm perfectly fine with it, and have used it pretty often. Pretty much the first thing I did was that I optimized a few of my older running characters to my modern equipment standards, reset a couple of failed character concepts, and then later on rebuild one character entirely so I'd get a sword WW barb fast.

If I'm given a tool, I'll use it.

16. ron

ron Diabloii.Net Member

I understand your point of view CRG, even though I don't feel the same way. I am glad they upped the rune drops though. This gives me a chance to play with all the cool runewords previously only available to cheaters, or the totally insanely lucky few who managed to score the runes legitimately.

Diablo 2 kinda going out with a bang is the way I see it. By the time I have all the Infinity, ebotd, griefs, forts etc that I want to try out D3 should be along soonish after. With how often I find high runes now, I should have most of the cool stuff I want to try by next christmas. Maybe sooner if I get good lucky streaks. Currently I still havent seen a jah or ber but plenty of other high runes.

As it has always been with SP, different folks will put whatever restrictions on themselves that they need to to tailor the enjoyment to their playstyle. I personally get no satisfaction from saving Cain, avenging the rogues by slaying Bloodraven or even ridding the world of Sanctuary from the evil clutches of the Prime Evils for the umpteenth time.

I am content to try out some new builds I havent tried, messing with overpowered gear and plugging holes in my most likely never to be completed grail. But thats just me. :D

17. tavaritz

tavaritz Banned

I see. I'm quit sure if I ever get any barbs into ninties I'd like to check between various weapons by respecing the mastery.

18. sequana

sequana Diabloii.Net Member

I just ignore it. It doesn't fit to my playing style. But I don't mind this feature or anything, it's good to have a choice wheather to use it or not.

19. Sparks

Sparks Diabloii.Net Member

It's nice to be able to use low level skills properly without worrying about how it effects your end build. On my Barb I used Double Swing with a pumped Bash synergy until level 24. He then respecced to Frenzy and is likely to stay that way now.

If I wanted to try a Double Throw Barb, for instance, I would make a new char not respec. It wouldn't feel like I'd really played it otherwise.

20. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy Diabloii.Net Member

Can't blame them for that.

The part that really bugs me is that high runes always have been rare (maybe too rare, but rare nonetheless). The idea is that the better an item is (or that which can be made from it) the harder it is to get it. Right now, the best items in the game i.e. those that take characters from great to godly, are now runewords. I'll point specifically to Grief, Beast, Infinity, Fortitude and Faith. With the exception of maybe Windforce v. Faith, there is nothing that can compare to these items and what they do for all sorts of characters. I'm fine with these items being around if they are as rare as they have been, but not if they are easier to make than say finding a comparable item.

And no, I haven't run statistics, but the sheer number of runes posted in the ITF compared to similar items that can be made with said runes just makes me want to throw up in my hands.