Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The Quest for Zod

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by jjscud, Oct 6, 2008.

1. jjscud

jjscud Diabloii.Net Member

The Quest for Zod

What is the The Quest for Zod?
    Well, we have grail threads and 99 threads and yet runes are one of the most popular items, and the high onse are some of the rarest items in the game. So this is a Zod hunting quest. This isn't exactly a tournament, like the grail and 99 chars, it ongoing (well for a while at least).

The Basics

Who can enter?
    Any member of the SPF, its that simple.

How do I keep track?
    All ranking will be done based on how much of a Zod you have. ATMA/goMule + Flavie will give you a list of runes cubed* as much as possible. *Yes, cubing counts.

How do I get a Percent of a Zod
    Percent of Zod Calculator

How long will this last
    I plan to run this until Diablo 3 arrives.

How do I find runes
    However you want without changing the drop mechanics of the game. This includes area running, countess (good luck), Lk/Special Chest running, and, yes, Hell Forge rushing.

Staying on The List Part 1
    If you've visited the 99 and grail threads you'll know they're a bit bloated. Iwill do everything I can to avoid bloat in this thread. This means 2 realatively drastic measures. I will remove anyone who is not actively making progress. I don't need daily updates but monthly updates, yes. I'll PM anyone before removing them but if there's no response, you're off.

Staying on The List Part 2
    There will be minimum progress of a Lo a month. The will be a soft rule, someone making progress but just off a Lo a month will be left alone but a couple Puls a month simply won't get you to Zod this century, let alone before D3. A Lo a month gives us 32 months, which I suspect is a bit generous.

How often should I update
    As often as you want, however, I don't think we should use points of a percent. A Vex is roughly 1% of a Zod so there's no real point in updating for anything less, unless its in quantity.

Anything else
    Not really, SPF tradable mods only (RRM, RWM, CRM, or Vanilla of course). You may use the runes as you find them, botd is nice and all but a list of high RWs is can be even nicer. Only runes found after joining this count.

How should I add myself to/update current tables?
    The code tables editing is tricky sometimes. Hit the reply button at the last post with tables, remove quote tags and comment of the previous poster. Edit the appropriate table and add your own comment. Use the Preview post button and check if the table is right. Then submit your post.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  2. jjscud

Re: The Quest for Zod

Progress Table
    Code:
    Player             Primary Area                     %Zod            Last Update
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    jjscud             Act 5 Special Chests               0%            Oct 6, 2008

3. Darkoooo

Darkoooo Diabloii.Net Member

How is someone who doesn't want or isn't able to do HF rushes manage to get one Lo per month? Without HFR'ing it's all about luck, you may get Zod in the first day and you can get only Gul worth of runes in couple of months.

4. Marvel

Marvel Diabloii.Net Member

Progress Table
    Code:
    Marvel             Chests, Areas                      0%            Oct 6, 2008

Been looking forward to this thread but i have already started this quest a few weeks ago after talking to jjscud about a zod hunt.

Im up to almost a cham in spare runes atm so im getting that last cham now.

5. nepeta

nepeta Diabloii.Net Member

Progress Table
    Code:
    nepeta             Cows, Chests                       0%            Oct 6, 2008

Call me crazy, one more time :p

6. jjscud

I still have final say and I try to be fair. Like I said, someone doing a few countess runs a day will technically be making progress but just won't get there in time. On the other hand, someone doing tons of LK runs and having bad luck is still doing something that has a chance to make some serious progress.

Mostly I'm just covering my bases so that there's no question about cleaning up the table a while down the road.

7. skiffcz

skiffcz Diabloii.Net Member

Im in, but my goal is much more humble .. just 0,125 Zod. In fact, I DONT want a Zod, because I dont melee ... Im a caster person .. but 3 Jah 2 Ber equivalent comes in handy for sure :p
    And since Im after that second Ber and want to try HFR anyways ...
    Just dont expect any progress from me asap, coz I need to build a 1.09 taxisorc first ;)
    Code:
    skiff              LK, HF                             0%            Oct 6, 2008

8. nubikoen

nubikoen Diabloii.Net Member

There's something wrong with the zodcalc.

[​IMG]

9. Stax

Stax Diabloii.Net Member

delete please

10. Paradigmshift

Paradigmshift Diabloii.Net Member

I have never entered a tourney here. I've been lurking these forums for years and just keep to myself solo'ing along. But this could motivate me to build my rune stock, I only have an Ohm as my highest self found rune. I can't HF rush so I sure hope I'm lucky in my finds.

Code:
    Paradigmshift      LK, WSK                            0%            Oct 6, 2008

11. jjscud

You have to keep in mind it is not a cubing calc. If you were cubing it would make sense that that should equal exactly 1. This calc is saying you have 3/4758934752 Zods + 2/7543857234 Zods + 2/78945739334 Zods... (made up the numbers) in which case the rounding error is really quite minor. If it displeases you still, feel free to do the math yourself.

12. CDRToast

CDRToast Diabloii.Net Member

Code:
    CDRToast           Chests, Countess                   0%            Oct 6, 2008

I've been away for quite a while, after an "unplanned reset" aka hard drive failure...

I'm up for seeing how far I can get.
    (wish I had my old atma stash back and/or my old sorc...)

13. Bluechip

Bluechip Diabloii.Net Member

Code:
    Bluechip           Undecided                           0%            Oct 6, 2008

That's it, I'm finding a Zod for some reason.

14. Maivia

Maivia Diabloii.Net Member

So if I understand this right, the idea isn't to cube/find a zod so much as cube/find a zod worth of runes/runewords? I do have a small love affair for collecting runes, but I will abstain from adding myself. Not sure if I will manage to be that dedicated/lucky. Just hope I don't find anything big and then decide to add myself after it won't count anymore. =p

15. Neksja

Neksja Diabloii.Net Member

Good luck everyone! I'd really love to join too, but atm, I have way too much characters to build, so I have to finish them first. If I'm fast with them, I might rebuild my hammerdin and start some RoF chest running/Baal running if I had some runeluck :)

jjscud, did anyone mentioned that you're a lunatic? two 99ers and self-found grail and now Zod hunting?! You really must love this game :yes: [/joking]

16. Cygnus

Cygnus Diabloii.Net Member

Hmm, always wanted to do some serious LK running. Let's see ... 11000 p3 runs on average for Ber + Sur + Lo (although at this point there isn't sufficient confirmation of Ber and Sur, IMO) That's 7 Lo runes, or about 1500 LK runs a month. Every month, for 32 months. Ack. Good luck everyone :whistling:

EDIT: Who wants to bet a fiver half the names in the table will be kicked out in a month's time?

17. jrlafrance

jrlafrance Diabloii.Net Member

So, all the runes I have thus far wouldn't count toward the Zod? According to your calculator, with Ber and Ohm as my highest right now, it says I'm 19% there!

I'm undecided right now, I'll re-evaluate it after the Meph tourney.

18. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

Interesting, still thinking about joining.

Where are the A5 special chests BTW? Are we talking golden, not super chests?

19. TheReadMenace

TheReadMenace Diabloii.Net Member

Good question. I feel like someone said that there may be super chests in the outdoor areas with fortress-like walls, but I don't think this was ever confirmed.

Good luck to all who are crazy enough to devote their time; no doubt you're all gonna need it!

20. jjscud

I will, though that's not exactly fair. I plan to be soft at first, it probably won't be until the end of the year that I start cleaning up.

So far, all of the chests I've investigated in act 5 that sparkle appear to actually be Special Chests.

Now for some technical info I dug up last night.

I wanted to cover my bases before I went nuts on the Act 5 Special Chests so I dug up some facts from Jarulf about the special chests. All Act 1 - Act 4 Special chests are object type 580 or 579? (mostly 580). While most objects have descriptions in the objects.txt file, objects 573+ (including 580) are hardcoded somewhere.

No other objects appear to have this limited seed so it appears that its this hardcoded function that has the 16 bit seed for drops. I finally found an old post by Jarulf where he confirmed that all chests have a 16 seed BUT he later states that the drops appear to be governed by the game seed. This doesn't appear to be the case for the hardcoded object 580 drops and so we get the 2^16 (65536) limited drops.

So last night, I dug up a d2 map editor and a mpq extractor and started examining some maps. First I checked LK to make sure I was looking at the right thing, found the campfire area and sure enough there were the type 580 objects.

Then i dug up some of the outdoor act 5 map areas and found one of the chests there that sparkle. It turns out its type 455. A quick check in the objects.txt file and sure enough, type 455 is a special chests. So that's confirmed, at least some of the sparkling chests in act 5 are actually special chests.

Here's the catch, type 455 is well defined in the objects.txt file and uses standard initialization and operation functions. All evidence points to these functions drawing from a proper 32 bit seed and so, no limited drops and no unusual drop odds on HRs. Its not a guarantee, but that's how it appears.

So now I'm deciding between RoF and LK at p3.