Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The PvM Mage paladin: a miniguide (magic finders this is for you)

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by inkanddagger, Mar 7, 2004.

1. inkanddagger

inkanddagger Banned

The PvM Mage paladin: a miniguide (magic finders this is for you)

The Mage is a Paladin who relies only on spellcasting to vanquish his enemies. He specializes is decimating the undead, casting holy bolts from his fingertips , calling down Heaven's mighty Fist to smash his foes, and pummeling all other vile followers of evil with mighty hammers blessed by the gods themselves.

The mage focuses on clearing out large numbers of undead very quickly, and considering that a majority of monsters in Diablo are of this class, his focus makes him a mighty opponent to them indeed. Though most people who play the game from a PvP perspective look at Holy Bolt as a particularly useless skill - for the PvMer and especially those geared towards magic finding in areas filled with almost nothing but undead such as the pits and the chaos sanctuary, it is one of the strongest skills in the Paladin's arsenal. While Blessed Hammers can get amazingly high damage, they can also be cumbersome to use: you can't aim them at a particular foe, and unless you rely on teleporting into hordes and spamming hammers (which can be dangerous)it takes time to goad monsters into walking into your field.

Fist of the heavens also receives a synergy from holy bolt. while the actual fist itself strikes a target with lightning damage, multiple holy bolts trail out from it to seek the undead. The damage can get quite high, and in large mobs of undead, the amount of holy bolts from 1 FoH far outweighs what you can accomplish spamming single holy bolts, and is faster than trying to position yourself to create a hammer field. One thing to note about the lighting aspect of FoH is that it ignores resistances of demons and undead(provided they arent immune to lightning) - therefore all of these monsters will take the exact amount of damage listed. The reason i mention this is because the knowledge can save you from wasting points getting the commonly used aura for FoH - conviction. While conviction helps immensely in PvP situations, it doesn't do much for a FoHer in PvM, which is what we are focusing on.

If you do find yourself mobbed by undead - surrounded, or if you must fight other monster classes such as demons or non-class specific monsters, you will have the mighty power of blessed hammers to protect you, as well as to vanquish them back to the pits of hell where they belong.

A rundown of useful skill assignments:

20 Holy bolt
    20 Fist of Heavens
    20 Blessed Hammers
    20 Concentration
    1 holy shield
    20 blessed aim - vigor could be used but note the 4 prereqs you need to get the skill.
    ____

Level of build completion: ~91

the benefit of this build is that you will never run into anything that is immune to all of your attacks - almost all undead will die in 1-2 hits of holy bolt, and anything else can be brought down with hammers.

Now, I'm not going to tell you specific gear to use, but I'll list some common stuff to be used, with a nod to magic finding but not completely focused on it as MF receives diminishing returns as you get more and speed of killing (more dmg) outweighs how much magic find you have.

Here's some gear I commonly use with my Mage:

Skulders Ire: +1 skills, good defense, lots of Magic Find per character level.

Harlequin Crest (Shako) : +2 skills, some stats, and 50% magic find. There isn't a better helm for this build in my opinion

Herald of Zakarum Shield - very good for 40 stats (str, vit) and and the godl y+2 skills and +2 more to combat

Heart of the Oak runeword for the skills and cast rate. This is probobly the best weapon for the build. Wizard spike is a cheap alternative.

i usually use trangs gloves for the cast rate and cold resists - chance guards are okay if you dont mind slow holy bolts.

boots are preference - I suggest you shop some magic find boots from gheed - I found some 30% faster run/walk with 47% magic find magical boots from him a few weeks ago. They only cost me about 7k gold - much cheaper than trading for war travelers.

Arachnid belt or thundergods are the top choice for this slot.

In my jewelry slots I use maras kaledescope, an SoJ, and a perfect nagel ring.

Getting an annihilus and 5-10 combat charms would make this build absolutely godly. Currently my ladder Mage has 5 combat charms, an annihilus, a Gheeds for magic find and the an assortment of resist all and vitality small charms.

With all my equiptment this is my damage listed:

Holy bolt: 11718-13314 (as good as a fireball and cant be resisted at all by undead!)
    Blessed Hammers: 3934-4012
    FoH: 4104-4144 per holy bolt, and 1875-1925 lightning to target

Now, a lot of you might look at that hammer damage and turn your noses up, but remember how many mosters in the game are undead, and how easy it is to take down demons with even 4k hammer damage. I solo the chaos sanctuary about 15x faster with my Mage than I ever could with my pure hammerdin.

In parties you can also play as a cleric with that high level holy bolt, and Gloams and Burning Souls FEAR YOU above all others.

I hope this guide serves you guys well, and I'm open to suggestions on stats, equiptment, etc.

2. joepublic

joepublic IncGamers Member

OH, great!! Another char I'll have to make! Thx for sharing! :rant:

jk :lol:

3. inkanddagger

inkanddagger Banned

bumped for the guys who don't know how to use the search engine.

4. Cod

Cod IncGamers Member

not a bad build idea, i might give it a try. i assume the stat point allocation is typical? (enough strength to use your gear, dex for max block, rest into vit, no energy)?

5. might

might IncGamers Member

Nice, I need a good MFer and this build seems perfect for it. Well done :).

6. Pent

Pent IncGamers Member

omg teh sexay!!!!!!!!!!*(~^!!!!

ok, this is on my list to build!
    right after I finish:
    holy freezer
    throw/frenzy barb
    lightning sorc
    trapper
    ts/dt assassin
    poisonmancer
    rabid druid
    frenzy/bserk barb
    -this build here-

:D

7. -Ferro-

-Ferro- IncGamers Member

Pindleskin wont agree with you all at all !!!

Nice draft mate.

8. bobthegod

bobthegod IncGamers Member

uhh, nice guide but i got a question.
    can i poorer person play this build. i got/can get wizspike/que-hegans.
    thx.
    p.s.
    thx for makin a guide on this, i always wanted to try somethin like it.

9. inkanddagger

inkanddagger Banned

having + skills is always a good thing for damage, but yes this guy is plenty viable even with mid level stuff. The only thing I might do differetly in this case is to put a few extra points into the other hammer synergy and less into fist of the heavens.

if yr playing east ladder i can give you some stuff for a paladin to help.

and yes the assumtion about stats is acurate - if you don't have enigma i recommend about 90 - 100 base strength (be sure to figure in charms and +strength items first) enough dexterity for max block with holy shield on, and the rest gets pumped into vita. You really dont have to tweak this build a whole lot to make it effective.

to the guy who said a sorc is probobly better - if you run pindleskin often you'll notice that he spawns with random resistances. He might be immune to cold, lighting or fire on any given run. Most sorcs aren't prepared to deal with this, but the Mage doesn't have any worries about pindle being immune.

10. inkanddagger

inkanddagger Banned

a note on item choices:

hand of blessed light hands down wins over almost anything else, and is a little cheaper than a HoTO.

heavens light can work, and i recommend you socket it with jewels that have resistances you may need.

you might not be a super fast caster with these itmes, but sometimes it isn't really necessary. Especially if you run the chaos sanctuary a lot, you'll be using fist of the heavens, which is hardly affected by cast rate at all.

11. bobthegod

bobthegod IncGamers Member

thx a lot. my acct name is *bobthegod im startin the build tommorrow =) whisper me if u want to help me out.

12. inkanddagger

inkanddagger Banned

two things:

1)this is bumped for sim

2)if that picture next to username: might is actually the person using that username, HAWT.

3)off topic? me?

13. xnick

xnick IncGamers Member

Add Sanctuary to this build (Try before you buy: get a mace with the skill).

That will make the kills slow down, but it´s the only chance that lame aura has to get some use.

14. Great_Evils

Great_Evils IncGamers Member

What would be a good merc to use with this build?

15. rummy

rummy IncGamers Member

inkanddagger could you tell me what the base levels of all your skills are? Points are TIGHT with this build :).

16. Kitriara

Kitriara IncGamers Member

Awesome!

This is a great idea! I would actually expand this a little with a few more gameplay suggestions and gear for poorer players and make it a full-fledged guide... talk to a mod about getting it added to the Guides Sticky.

Awesome idea, and very well written. I might have to try one of these!

17. lextalionis

lextalionis IncGamers Member

Kudos,

Great guide. What a hybrid. I like the idea a lot. Not using HS? I guess the BH damage is more important since it can kill almost everything in the game. Do you even use FoH? are there situations where it helps? Is there an aura that will help with HB and FoH damage? I also notice you didn't put points into Prayer, like a normal cleric. I've notice healing really isn't that helpful too. But I've never played with a fully maxed out cleric either. What about HShield? with one point with that good gear is it at a pretty good level?

18. LordDrift

LordDrift IncGamers Member

Got a PVP build for this?