"The Pond of Death" ... Exploding Toads

llad12

Diabloii.Net Member
"The Pond of Death" ... Exploding Toads

Strange and bizarre news:

Mystery of German exploding toads

Toads in an area of northern Germany are being killed off by a mysterious disease - they are exploding.

Thousands of the amphibians have died in recent days in a pond in Hamburg's Altona district, with their bodies swelling to bursting point.

The toads' entrails are propelled for up to a metre (3.2ft), in scenes that have been likened to science fiction.

Scientists are baffled. Possible explanations include a unknown virus or a fungus in the pond.

"You see the animals crawling on the ground, swelling and then exploding," German conservationist Werner Smolnik told AFP news agency.

The bodies of the toads expanded to three and a half times their normal size, he said.

"I have never seen such a thing," AFP quotes veterinarian Otto Horst as saying. The site - which has been dubbed "the pond of death" - has been closed to the public.
BBC

So what's your take on this event?

Is this a new secret government weapon?

Have aliens landed and infected our amphibian cousins?

Are these toads eating too much sauerkraut, gassing-up, and detonating?

Tell me ... the world needs to know. Why are our croaking, fly-eating friends exploding?

:eek:

jmervyn

Diabloii.Net Member
maccool said:
Probably something to do with Lebanon.
I started down the road towards a tired homosexuality joke, then thought better of it.

Something in the water = something natural? I wouldn't be surprised if it is due to industrial waste...

Stoutwood

Diabloii.Net Member
I'll bet jmerv and Ilad will debate over whether this is the Bush Administration's fault, just out of habit.

kernelpops

Diabloii.Net Member
On the local radio show a caller said this is a heavy drugs region, and it is common to dipose of unwanted chemicals in the local water ways.

Maybe this is a reason?

Usufruct

Diabloii.Net Member
I seem to remember toads mysteriously exploding around my parents house when I brought home that box of fire crackers.

Biological warfare has gone too far.

I am also suddenly reminded of a certain game by a certain company, the game name sounds like SkarCroft.

Spawn of God

Diabloii.Net Member
brg on the conspirancies!!!

number 1: OMG its WW3!!!
number 2: lol nice, crackly rock candy and soda always a possibility in explosions
number 3: some1 dumped nuclear waste into a pond
number 4: aliens? no aliens, just toad hate groups
number 5: OH NO north korea has unleashed its secret weapon!

neway my science teacher said it was prolly from some sort of wacked out disease

jmervyn

Diabloii.Net Member
llad12 said:
Do you believe that story? I mean really ... c'mon ... crows peck them and then the toads subsequently detonate like an M-80?

We have lots of crows and toads in the US. Why doesn't the same thing happen here?

Bah ...

I liked the alien explanation better ... :lol:
That's my'man, why accept a rational explanation when we can go for a tinfoil-hatted one? :-D

It's Bush's fault...

Edit - I posted this prior to reading your Chalabi thread, honest to God.

llad12

Diabloii.Net Member
jmervyn said:
That's my'man, why accept a rational explanation when we can go for a tinfoil-hatted one? :-D
So let's be rational ...

According to the hypothesis from your site, Wounds caused by some birds make a certain type of amphibian explode. Not just one or two of these fellas ... thousands of them.

Now these birds only seem to do these specific pecking wounds in one area of the world --> a pond in Germany.

The bird is apparently the common Crow.

The amphibians are common toads.

Although such creatures are abundant in many parts of the world, this type of event is quite uncommon. In fact, it seems very rare.

If such purported wounds can inflate toads to the bursting, why then would such a phenomena be restricted in its areal extent? Why shouldn't there be exploding toad guts flying as we speak in Kansas or Illinois or Colorado or Paris or Madrid?

Why can't French, Spanish, or American crows blow up toads?

Is there something wrong with our crows ... or it it just because they have/are bad peckers?

:p

nrabbit

Diabloii.Net Member
i really don't believe that birds can make a toad enlarge three times its size and after that explode :confused:
my guess: x-men :lol: