Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The Poisonmancer

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by TheWorm, Apr 5, 2005.

1. TheWorm

TheWorm IncGamers Member

The Poisonmancer

This is just a quick guide for people in dire need of a poisonmancer guide.

Stats
    The same as any other char, enough str for gear. Personally I don't like to max block because you don't really need to block anything. Get enough str for gear and then just spam the + button beside vitality.

Skills
    1 Teeth
    1 Corpse Explosion
    20 Poison Dagger
    20 Poison Explosion
    20 Poison Nova
    4 Points for Fire Golem + prereqs if you don't use holy fire/shock/freeze
    6 Lower Resist Prereqs
    The rest Lower Resist

Before Lower Resist, all of the skills are done by level 61 (hope I calculated this right)

You can have LR maxed by 81 and the rest can go into bone armor or whatever.

Gear
    Head - Shako.
    Armor - Enigma is what I recommend but if you don't need teleport, go for bramble.
    Weapon - Death's Web of course, otherwise Hoto or Blackbog or whatever the hell.
    Shield - Homunc if you feel you need more resists and blocking, otherwise Darkforce with 3 psn&b is good.
    Gloves - Trangs obviously
    Belt - Arachnid
    Boots - Treks, Waterwalks, whatever. Just get the boots that have the stats you need. (Use treks if you want a better bone armor.)
    Jewelry - SoJs and Maras

This is a very nice setup, but another really good setup would be to use Trangs belt and shield. 3 Trang items gives the shield -25% enemy psn res which is a very nice mod, the belt also has nice mods. This is what I personally use, you can do whatever you like.

Whats nice about the Poisonmancer is that it isn't a common class found in the PvP games, and it really is a great dueller.

If you want strategy, basically keep moving and firing poison novas. Make sure the fire golem is always up so the aura can finish off people with 1 hp.

Please leave comments and suggestions here. Thanks.

2. wookie919

wookie919 IncGamers Member

Hi,

Does LR work with Poison or is it just there to help the Fire Golem or other auras?

Does 0.1 damage count as 1? i.e. If the golem does 20 damage which is 75% resisted to 5 and then penalised 1/6 due to PvP, the resulting damage will be less than 1; would this be enough to finish one off?

Cheers,
    *wookie919

3. cotton

cotton IncGamers Member

Lower Resist works with Poison.

4. HarbingersOfSkulls

HarbingersOfSkulls IncGamers Member

Guess the one in stickies don't count.

HoS

5. TheWorm

TheWorm IncGamers Member

HarbingersOfSkulls: Which one in the stickies?

wookie919: Fire Golem will always do at least 1 damage unless the person has at least 50% fire absorb. And LR lowers all resistances, including Poison.

6. wookie919

wookie919 IncGamers Member

I see.

Absorb is done after damage though. So if your opponent has 1 life left, even if he has 50% absorb (which he can't) he would still die from the pulse.

7. HarbingersOfSkulls

HarbingersOfSkulls IncGamers Member

There's 3 guides in the stickies for a poison build...though there is one that the link dont work and MM is still trying to find it.

2 are poison/skeletons hybrids...and other is a pvp max poison with 2nd skill in bone.

HoS

8. Patsy

Patsy IncGamers Member

Sickem, HoS! SICKEM! (point) So much for researching, eh? Besides, it's called a VENOMANCER build.

(insert haughty sniff here)

Here's Gvandale's.

Here's Usamah's.

Finally, here's Necrochild313's study on poison.

Egad, I mean... really! I was able to look those up in less than a minute! :rolleyes: :rant: It can't be that difficult!

SheeEEEeesh...

-Patsy
    "I cursed them with Stupid."

9. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

+absorb will...for that matter....magic damage reduction (such as on vipermagi or sanctuary) will. This is a small annoyance my venomancer has to deal with...since sanctuary seems to have gotten popular, and although SM doesn't effect pnova...it screws up your teeth and spirit. So it forces you to get creative with fire golem explosions or hitting them with another pnova. :rant:

10. Grobyc

Grobyc IncGamers Member

Rising Sun :p

11. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

That's +absorb, not %absorb. Theres a difference. 40% is the cap on %absorb, so even if you use say, 2x LS with a baba and 2x wisp rings, it'll still be effectively 40% lightning absorb.

+absorb I believe works much like the magic damage reduction mod, except it absorbs the specific element rather than just reducing it. %absorb makes the character absorb a % of that element's damage.

12. Curry-Chi

Curry-Chi IncGamers Member

One question, can you even take out poison immunes as fast when your lower resist is about lvl 35-37?? (with gcharms and such) :confused:

13. garion

garion IncGamers Member

im new to the nec but i have the same question, what do you do against poison immunes? any general strategies in hell or against bosses?

thanks

14. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

You can break a lot of immunities with that level LR, but for fast killing you'll need some more -% res gear.

Welcome Newcomer to The Darkness. Grab a brew :drink: and feel free to raise some corpses.

If LR doesn't break the immunity, you can always count on your Merc and CE to deal with the immunes. If you are very patient Teeth could also work.

15. garion

garion IncGamers Member

wow awesome...so LR can actually bypass immunities in hell too? thanks mantis

this sounds great..i think im gonna have to start saving trang pieces i come across...

thanks for the great guide!