Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The Plains of Despair indeed

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by TheMaverickPoet, Feb 20, 2004.

1. TheMaverickPoet

TheMaverickPoet IncGamers Member

The Plains of Despair indeed

Allow me to share this online conversation I had with my friend concerning my gaming session last night:

The MaverickPoet: ok, so Im cruising through hell, gaining a level every half hour, its totally a breeze, right?
    Deus Excalibur: yup
    The MaverickPoet: Im playing act 4 with 6 other people in a game, no trouble
    The MaverickPoet: then I get to the Plains of Despair.
    The MaverickPoet: Im running around, casting Amp Damage as always, when out of nowhere, BAM dead
    The MaverickPoet: Burning Souls
    Deus Excalibur: lol
    The MaverickPoet: so I go to retrieve my corpse
    The MaverickPoet: BAM dead
    The MaverickPoet: Burning Souls kill naked chars in one hit
    Deus Excalibur: did you even see the lightning?
    Deus Excalibur: or the enemies?
    The MaverickPoet: lol, yeah, but about 5 streams at the same time
    The MaverickPoet: so other people start coming to the plains of despair
    The MaverickPoet: BAM dead BAM dead BAM dead
    Deus Excalibur: this is why i got bone spirit, i just spray in random directions and hope to hit them
    The MaverickPoet: literally, every person in the game died in the plains of despair and no one could retrieve their bodies
    The MaverickPoet: wont help, trust me, wait till you get there, Ill explain in a sec
    The MaverickPoet: I FINALLY get mine by spamming dim vision everywhere and running back and forth consuming full rejuvs
    The MaverickPoet: so I get my corpse and gear, go back to act 1 to raise an army while everyone is still dying trying to get their corpses
    The MaverickPoet: so I get my army, revives and everything, and come in like [CENSORED] prince arthur leading us to victory
    Deus Excalibur: onward to victory!
    The MaverickPoet: everyone gets their corpses, and we continue to advance into the Plains of Despair, destroying Burning Souls
    The MaverickPoet: until, BAM
    The MaverickPoet: dead again
    Deus Excalibur: oh mang
    The MaverickPoet: as soon as I died, everyone fell afterwards insanely fast, my spamming of +level 20 dim vision was all that was keeping everyone alive
    The MaverickPoet: so I try to get my corpse again
    The MaverickPoet: push forward, try again, fail, push forward, try again, fail, etc.
    The MaverickPoet: long story short
    The MaverickPoet: I have no more full rejuvs, and my over 1 million gold supply is completely depleted, I cant even rehire my merc
    Deus Excalibur: damn
    The MaverickPoet: by this time all the other 6 players had given up and left in frustration
    The MaverickPoet: not me though
    The MaverickPoet: I rejoined the game so my corpse spawned in town (I knew I could do this earlier, I was just too stubborn)
    The MaverickPoet: I went and reraised my army, collecting objects to sell back at town and eventually got my merc and all my skellies
    The MaverickPoet: then I went to the arcane sanctuary and got a bunch of kicka** revives
    The MaverickPoet: I went back to the Plains of Despair and spammed dim vision everywhere, being as safe as possible
    The MaverickPoet: it was really really slow going at first, but I swore to myself it would be a complete genocide and I would clear the entire level
    Deus Excalibur: haha
    The MaverickPoet: seriousely, I killed Izual without even attempting too, he was NOTHING compared to a single burning soul, they were so much of a bigger threat
    The MaverickPoet: after over 2 hours of playing that single area I finally killed them all though
    Deus Excalibur: nice
    The MaverickPoet: the entire level, double checked, was completely clear of enemies
    The MaverickPoet: [CENSORED] 6 other quitters, big babys
    The MaverickPoet: well, it was certainly a learning experience
    Deus Excalibur: im going to fear burning souls like the plague
    The MaverickPoet: before I was always like "[CENSORED] dim vision, Ive never needed that"
    The MaverickPoet: but luckily Ive been putting my points into it because I didnt have anything else to spend on and thats what people recommended

------------------------------------

Sorry for subjecting you to that tale, but this is just my way of saying a huge THANK YOU to the people who told me to put points into Dim Vision, because WOW did I underestimate it's importance.

2. TheKbob

TheKbob IncGamers Member

I dont get the retelling of a telling to some one else. Could have just made it in easier to read paragraph format.

We all know the immense power of the summoner and dim vision.

We all know the annoying abilities of the glaoms, black souls, and such.

I am glad you lived to tell such tale.

~Kbob

3. spuddogg

spuddogg IncGamers Member

Wait til you run into a pack of champion souls.
    DV doesn't work on 'em.
    Oh Joy!

4. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

erm...champ souls...summon a golem behind them I 'spose, fire may work best because he'll attract them with Holy Fire, and let your skellies get to them and force them to do their pitiful melee attacks.

:scratch:

5. JCX

JCX IncGamers Member

Yeah, also when there's a boss among regular ones. My solution is to drink juvies, decrip, run like a maniac and say a few prayers to various deities. It also helps if my merc is being smart that day. :lol:

6. TCO

TCO IncGamers Member

75 resist [ or plus ] to lightning + thundergod's vigor belt + blackhorn's face

Dim Vision all of them and when the first dies.. Amp all then start CE chain reaction..

7. Necrochild313

And what day would that be. I wish I knew that day because I have not yet played diablo 2 then.

:rant:

TCO, where those idemz do work in saving yer arse, usually I don't have room in my stash for 'em and since I'm not HC it's not worth the trouble

:lol:

8. JCX

JCX IncGamers Member

My merc's hat is socketed with Khalim's brain so he's slightly above average in smarts. :lol:

9. TheMaverickPoet

TheMaverickPoet IncGamers Member

Haha, no way, can you really do that? I'm fairly sure you're kidding, but that would be sweet ;)

10. Necrochild313

That would make him want to become a flail.

:scratch:

I don't think thats good.

11. Jebus

Jebus IncGamers Member

good story

12. Pyromancer88

Pyromancer88 IncGamers Member

FLAIL MERC ATTACK!!! *merc starts beating his head against the burning soul and falls as he is consumed by a stream of lightning*

13. SoulTaker

SoulTaker IncGamers Member

dood i wanna socket some stuff with khalims body parts...people wouldnt know wut to think of it...unique l00k indeed...

14. Xiamet

Xiamet IncGamers Member

I had a recent run-in with Black Souls myself, during an Act 3 questing sessions. I'm not looking forward to dealing with them again in the Anya Quest or killing Izzy...fun fun I tellya. But I have developed a couple of tactics that I'd like to share, as it may help others when dealing with these dreaded killers.

1) Use the terrain - I go into Assassin/stealth mode when it comes to Black Souls and their ilk...as I hop from obstacle to obstacle, casting DV here and there. usually my minions will out these creepers and give me a direction to cast the DV's, which stops their long range death rays.

2) Bone Spirit - I can't stress how much this skill helps when dealing with BS's...especially after a good DV is cast. Unless you encounter a massed group that are DV'd (in which case I'd go with Spear), I find that BS's tend to float around on their own, angling for a better shot I suppose. They fall pretty fast to some major spamming of Spirit, and Spirit tracks these critters while they're invisible.

3) Run, don't walk - I usually run from terrain to terrain feature, for safety and to get my minions where I need them to be...scouting ahead. I run, take shelter and my minions usually scout the general area ahead. Running with Minions sems to make their scouting ahead more active. Rinse and repeat to draw out the BS's.

4) Lastly...once an area is deemed safe, cast that TP...it makes body retrieval much easier.

Hope this helps,

-X

15. Patsy

Patsy IncGamers Member

Dear TheMaverickPoet,

An interesting retelling of a similar encounter I've had on my own in solo. :clap:

One curse that I've taken a shine to recently is 'Attract', especially if it's just your typical throng o' foes. Let one of THEIRS be on the spotlight for taking hits instead. Oh, it's immune to the attack? Even better. Keep them distracted just that much longer in their vain attempts to kill one of their own, also immune to lightning attacks. May buy you just enough time to reclaim your goodies.

The only problem is the curse length.

Thundergod's Vigor, anyone? Anyone? Beuller?

-Patsy
    "Tactless, yet rude."