the pit vs act bosses/countess/cows

Deaths Jaws

Diabloii.Net Member
the pit vs act bosses/countess/cows

ok im trying to compare the pit to all other hell act bosses (andy/meph/baal) and cows in regards to Rune and Item drops in a single player ladder game (players 1).

can somone help me out with it.

im running a hammerdin with enigma and can do hell meph in under 1:30 and hell andy in under 1:30 easy..usually under a minute if its a good map. hell baal takes a lot longer due to the minions and i really cant be stuffed doing those runs as im personally sick of them and all that 3-6 mins for a single drop i dont see as being worth it (ive NEVER got anything good off minions even with over 500 mf in hell).

now i can clear the pit on average in 6-8 mins (if there arnt any archers it much easyer and take a lot less time) im not sure on the average amount of rune drops in players 1 but i know that you can get all items in the pits and its alot more fun than constantly running bosses.

the cow level i really dont like as they kinda annoy me and its never a chalange to me, but my merc seems to like getting eaten by em so it cost me about 50k per 4-5 runs...replacable i know but still....

now has anyone compared the drop rate of bosses/cow vs the pits?

any stats would be apprecated and PLEASE dont like the the pits guide as i have it next to me right now and i know it pretty well already :)

thanks in advance guys

Jaws...

sangfagel

Diabloii.Net Member
Meph gives me 2 - 3 times more uniques/sets than Pit. Pit runs are popular not because many uniqes drops there but because items from even highest TCs can be dropped - even valuable grays must be concidered.
If you need highest tc items - you have a little choice - it must be lvl 85 area and Pit is one of them. If you need just uniques/sets - run iteMshop.
Andy is preatty worthless imo. May be in NM - if you are hunting SoJs...

Mammel248

Banned
Well, for MF definitively go for Act Bosses. Andy is good for rings, Mephi for speed and Baal for experience and high end items.

And eh, the minions can drop good stuff you know, I got a Griffon off the Venom Lord boss.

If you want socketables you should go to the pit. Every run you get 20+ elite items, sometimes good ones. But if you have MF the chance to get socketables is really really low. Just the golden chest is nice is you have good MF. If you want high elite uniques go for Baal.

sangfagel

Diabloii.Net Member
Mammel248 said:
Just the golden chest is nice is you have good MF.
It´s a common missconception. Chest´s tc doesn´t depend on area lvl, it´s act specific. So - chests in Pit drops lower tcs as any chests in A2. Golden or not - does not matter.

Masas

Diabloii.Net Member
Actually the most reliable source for high TC uniques is Pindleskin. Pits, and other such alvl85 areas are very good for both highend uniques, and socketables. Baal himself isn't good for anything but normal and exceptional items, though WSK is just as good as for item drops as Pit, just harder and more time consuming. In short: Meph is the main source for Low to Mid end Uniques and Sets, Pit (and other alvl85 areas) is for socketed items and High end Uniques and Sets, Pindle is for High end Uniques and Sets. Baal is for exp, and a few good drops if spend a huge time running him.

Myrakh-2

Diabloii.Net Member
You can't beat act bosses for higher quality items --- after all, monsters in the Pits are just regular monsters, not little baby mephistos.

*I* like to combine both, even though it's also a necessity for me to combine them since none of my chars has teleport: instead of the pits I prefer RoF/CS and WSK/Baal, at least for the Skelemancer (bowazon and bonemancer can't handle these): these are lvl 85 like the pits, *and* they have an act boss at the end dropping *much* better than the crappy pit chest.

Even Durance isn't that bad --- it's lvl 83.

As for runes --- I don't know how act bosses drop runes (normal Diablo gave me an ORT recently, so they can drop runes, apparently), but consider this: if you need 1:30 to kill ONE monster, you also need 1:30 to get a single runedrop chance. Killing regular monsters means lots more chances...

Also, runes are NOT affected by magic find, so I dare conclude that act bosses (when they decide to drop a rune) don't have a better chance for higher runes just because they drop higher quality items. Runes are still a matter of getting top position in the most wanted list of monster town because of the death count.

As for cows vs. pits --- recently I needed a 4 socket elite polearm of some sort to make Insight, and I noticed that cows drop a lot more items than the pits did (2 player pits even compared to 1 player cows). This could be (I never counted...) because the cow packs might be larger --- I'd say cows has a lot more monsters than the pits, but I also get the *impression* that there are fewer bosses. Which wasn't a problem here, since I was looking for a white/grey item, not uniques/sets :)

In any case, if uniques/sets is what you want to find, nothing beats act bosses, especially with the classic teleport and maphack setup.
I still wonder why the stairs to Durance 3 are still stairs; with millions of people passing through there every day they should be a perfect slide by now. In fact, Durance 2 probably shouldn't even exist anymore, since it should have collapsed already...

Hrus

Diabloii.Net Member
Well I guess it's on BNet where you can easily trade high runes for high uniques or you can do hell-forge rushes so I will give an advice for uniques / sets.

The easiest target is Meph, he drop u/s items like mad from TC6-TC75. He can drop from TC78 and TC3 too, but with much less odds. If you have enough items from Meph, you probably need high-end items including TC87.

Baal drop quite nicely, but he drops much less frequently from TC87 than from TC6-TC84.
Level 85 areas will bring you less uniques than Baal, but it can be more efficient for TC87 items The only thing that matter for u/s are bosses. Other monsters' drops are gold and potions often and even if they drop an item, it is much less probable to be a unique/set So you can make your runs more efficient if you kill only boss/champions packs and teleport along other monsters. Regular monsters can't drop some uniques too. Pindleskin is very easy to kill (hmm probably not with hammerdin, I don't have a clue) and give you 2 drops. But he can't drop azurewrath,Tyrael's might and Arachnid mesh.
Cows are good for jewels, charms, gems and runes, but not for S/U items. They have only lvl 81 (they can't drop lot of uniques) and have very small chance to drop from TC87.

odds for 500 MF, players 1

Windforce (TC87)
regular pit boss 1:38658
Pindleskin 1:19426
Baal 1:14004
Lister 1:97742

Stormlash (TC78, special rarity)
regular pit boss 1:141876
Pindleskin 1:71303
Baal 1:5921
Mephisto 1:44702

Schaefer's hammer (TC84, special rarity)
Baal 1:5563
Pindleskin 1:48378

So basically you have to count your time per run and combine with these odds.
For TC87 items the best target is Pindleskin, because Baal drop almost as bad as him :( , or you have to kill at least 2 regular bosses from lvl 85 area at the same time as Pindle.
As the TC goes lower, the odds are better for Baal than for Pindle.

I hope this helps

EDIT: and I forgot to mention Chaos Sanctuary - it's a lvl 85 area, monsters there are dangerous to most chars but not to hammerdin, stranglers with their high-rune drop probability are there and there are 3 superuniques and Diablo there. 3 superuniques and Diablo can't drop from TC87, but still I think it's a decent option for Enigma MF hammerdin.

Frosty_The_Snowman

Diabloii.Net Member
I do agree that cows drop more than the pit in 1 or 2 players games, but before entering the cow level, you have to get Wirt's leg, and open the portal. Problem is : this is time consuming. What's more, in the cow level, there ain't as much bosses/champions as in the pit.
I usually clear the pit during baalruns. I join a baalrun game and I follow it. So I'm sure to play in an 8-players game. My sorc begins to clear the pit less than 20 seconds after joining the baalgame (just the time that the other baalrunners come in). Then, I begin to kill the champions/bosses only (higher chance to drop uniques/sets). If the baalrun hasn't ended yet, I kill regular monsters and/or Andy/Meph, then next :thumbsup: !
In 8-players games, the pit drops *TONS* of items, and a lot of them are elite. So if you don't drop uniques/sets, you have a very good chance to drop socketables. But then again, you need an ultra-fast killer sorc to do that. If you spend too much time killing a single monster in 8-players game, then forget about this strategy. Remember the key in MFing is first and foremost, killing speed and good crowd control. Boosting your MF comes *after* that.

Just my two cents,
- Frosty

Decebal

Diabloii.Net Member
Frosty_The_Snowman said:
I do agree that cows drop more than the pit in 1 or 2 players games, but before entering the cow level, you have to get Wirt's leg, and open the portal. Problem is : this is time consuming. What's more, in the cow level, there ain't as much bosses/champions as in the pit.
I usually clear the pit during baalruns. I join a baalrun game and I follow it. So I'm sure to play in an 8-players game. My sorc begins to clear the pit less than 20 seconds after joining the baalgame (just the time that the other baalrunners come in). Then, I begin to kill the champions/bosses only (higher chance to drop uniques/sets). If the baalrun hasn't ended yet, I kill regular monsters and/or Andy/Meph, then next :thumbsup: !
In 8-players games, the pit drops *TONS* of items, and a lot of them are elite. So if you don't drop uniques/sets, you have a very good chance to drop socketables. But then again, you need an ultra-fast killer sorc to do that. If you spend too much time killing a single monster in 8-players game, then forget about this strategy. Remember the key in MFing is first and foremost, killing speed and good crowd control. Boosting your MF comes *after* that.

Just my two cents,
- Frosty

How about a MF hammerdin doing pit runs in 8 player games! Should not that be faster?

/Dec

Deaths Jaws

Diabloii.Net Member
mf hammerdins can do it very easily but really it comes down to patience and i dont have it with 8 player games at the best of time.

mind u the time i did do a 8 player game (mfed in a baal walk game :D ) i got a tyrials might (not the uber rare scared armour but the more 'common' unqiue one) and a 4/5 fire die charm and a load of other cool socketables..

by about half way thjough the pit i had to leave for a great reason: stocked up with great items :D

it just takes a little longer so i dont see it as being very efficient in mf terms as ur trying to do it asap and as many as possable in as short a time frame as possable.

helvete

Diabloii.Net Member
Deaths Jaws said:
i got a tyrials might (not the uber rare scared armour but the more 'common' unqiue one) and a 4/5 fire die charm and a load of other cool socketables.
Huh? Typos aside, I can see two serious errors here...

Deaths Jaws

Diabloii.Net Member
ok i must correct m,yself it seems even hough its obvious what i was meaning:

a -4/+5 Fire Die Rainbow Facet

Templar's Might
Sacred Armor

there we go