Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The Pit - Hell

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Baal, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Baal

Baal IncGamers Member

The Pit - Hell

ok - sorry again for my lame questions

i finally made it to hell, again, will my necromancer...

so i'm level 72 or so and i decided i'd rush through ACT I to get to THE PIT DA-DUH-DUuuhhhh... anyway... it didn't seem that great to me.

i have to play it on players 1 at the moment - because hell is damn hard. And i really didn't see any drops worth talking about... maybe one unique

my question is - does my Clvl matter? maybe at level 72 it's too soon to be running the pit? will it effect my drops? or is it solely the monsters that effect that

i'd do more searches - but to me honest, if you aren't good at math, those pages on formulas for drops and this and that, mean jack ****... i can't decypher them...

anyway - what's up with the pit... Clvl matter?

maybe i should try /players 2 also - it's not too big a step up

2. BeatMaster

BeatMaster IncGamers Member

Hi there.
    So we have yet another pit-runner in the stables eh? :uhhuh:

I´m not 100 percent sure of this, but I seem to recall on old thread/post saying that clvl doesn´t matter regarding drops. I´ts the monster level that matters.

A thing to know about the pits is, that it sometimes takes a HUGE amount of patience, waiting for something good to drop. Just keep at it, and your efforts will eventually pay off.

Also, if you feel you can handle it, you might want to set the /players setting to 3. This way, the "no-drop" possibility is overruled and you will witness an increased number of items dropping.

Hope that helps. :)

-BeatMaster

3. Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast IncGamers Member

Well i understand it didn't see very great to you at first glance :)

What u need for the pit is basicly some mf and a nice lvl and lots of patience.
    And i think that indeed you will need a few more levels, not sure about that though, but lvl's can also be easily gained in the pit.

Besides that a lot of patience is required.. do nog expect great drops in 1 run.. or in 10 or in 20 runs. The power of the pit is in running it over and over and over again
    The fact that u even found one uniq is lucky, my hammerdin plays the pit on players 8 with ~450 mf and won't find one uniq on average per run.

4. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

The idea of Pit runs:

Huge MF, as high players setting as possible and LOTS of runs

For example I have done 2k runs on p8 with about 500% MF

It is not hopeless on p1 and low MF, you just have to do much more runs to get same results

I would suggest to play further. You seem not to have some "basic" gear like Skullder's, Shaftstop, Stormshield etc so you should go and try running Hell Meph.

People run Pit mainly to get those very high-end items Meph can't drop

:thumbsup:

5. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

As he said though he hasn't got to Hell Meph yet...

It was an odd decision to make the Pit in particular the new place to MF, just because it is earlier in the game than several places you should be MFing before you should ever think about the Pit. It is more of a place to come back to once you're done.

The Pit is not good for quantity of items. The only thing it has going for it is that it can drop items (can, not will) that the big droppers simply can't. So while there might only be a 0.0001% chance of something dropping in the Pit, it is still better than the 0% chance from Hell Meph.

The right MF progression should be
    NM Meph - stay here till you have most things he can drop
    Hell Meph - stay here till you have most things he can drop
    Pit or Pindle - go back/on to these to slowly finish off the rest

6. farting bob

farting bob Banned

meph is more consistant in his drops, and is the best option by far for those in nm or early hell, as nm baal still takes a long time to reach. but pit is great for some builds, especially as the normal monsters area l either fire or cld immune, no poison, phys, magic or lightning monsters (except bosses of course.)

7. ricrestoni

ricrestoni IncGamers Member

I wonder how a javazon would fare in the pits. The word PWN comes to mind.

8. Hozze

Hozze IncGamers Member

I'd also recommend the Pit for elite socketed items, you'll find plenty of those with low MF...

9. Todd

Todd IncGamers Member

@Beatmaster - the "no drop" possibility is never, technically, overruled. And even in the sense of cutting off after diminishing returns, my understanding was that for "normal" monsters (i.e. the Pit, and not Meph) the "reasonable cutoff" was at /players 5. /players 3, as I recall, was the Meph cutoff. I could certainly be mistaken, though - while I understand the formulas involved, I haven't personally examined any MPQ's in quite a while.

@Baal - Like others have said - the Pits are tough, and without good MF and the ability to play at high players count (I'd say 3 at least, but 5 is better, 8 seems like overkill) the rewards are few. At the same time, they provide a definite step up from NM Baal in terms of experience and drop potential. Doing ten Pit runs at a decent player count will be tough, but you *will* gain serious experience and *might* get something pretty nice out of it. My untwinked clvl 75 Meteorb started Hell yesterday, rushed to the Pit like you by clvl 76, and did 8 very tough, sometimes painful, runs at /players 5 with 257% MF. For the trouble, I gained almost 3 more levels (just a hair under 79 now), a few normal uniques, and a Steelrend. The Steelrend, certainly, was luck, but that's always the way, and the exp is solid anyway. Also convenient is the fact that you should probably have no need to reroll the map from there until the Durance, so if you get yourself a good Tamoe map (maybe try for a good Marsh layout, too) you can easily throw in a couple runs here and there just keep your item greed stoked.

And with that, I'm headed back to the Pits. Cheers!

10. Lacerta

Lacerta IncGamers Member

I had a similar introduction to my first 1.10 Hell character last week. My Wind Druid's only got about 150 MF, and is about level 80 (now). I did the first few pit runs on players1, and found one low level set item. I raised it to players3, and have now done about 15 runs, and haven't found a single set or unique since. Not one! NADA! Seems to me that must mean I'm due for a run of better luck. I need to work him up through Act 3 so I can do Mephisto runs. So far, he hasn't gone past the Outer Cloister Waypoint. Maybe next week, this week is devoted to my Amazon in the Skillz Tourney.

11. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

I use my lf / plague javazon (lvl86) as a pitrunner. Abysmal mf. I've had stretches days at a time of getting nothing worth raising an eyebrow over, and then found wf and Valor in almost consecutive games, so I keep going back. I've also gone from level 78 to 86 - the experience has lessened somewhat, but still adds up.

12. sunbearie

sunbearie IncGamers Member

Like everyone else has said, the pit is popular only because it has the possibility of dropping any item in the game, and then it depends on your luck or WF. I run the pit at players 1 with 250 mf and sometimes all I get are a lot of rares.

I can understand why pple run the pit before others.
    1) it comes earlier.
    2) you can run countess along with it.
    3) there are no worrisome elemental monsters in the pit (impt cos you often have low resists when first starting in Hell)
    4) some builds simply find meph harder etc
    and the main reason, Durance lvl 3 is sooo hard to find!

I actually start running the pit with my spearazon once I've reached act 1. She's got crap equipment but at players 1-4, she's finishes it in like 10min. Bit long but I pick all the gold and rares to sell. Only problem are the lightning immunes which take a little longer.

13. Milamber

Milamber Banned

Yes I have also ‘camped’ my now lvl 86 Meteorb sorc in A1 the pits. I play on player4-6 and clear it in about 10 mins. Run with about 500 MF and 600MF on the switch.

I am in no hurry to Mat as I like the character I am using.

14. My_Immortal6

My_Immortal6 IncGamers Member

Meteorb rocks :thumbsup:

15. Milamber

Milamber Banned

Yes it does, doesn't it?

16. PetroPanko

PetroPanko IncGamers Member

Yes, but not in the Pit. Pindle and Meph are her huntinggrounds. For the Pit I'v found my pure bovazon much better, even if she can wear only 400 Mf.

17. Milamber

Milamber Banned

I agree and disagree. It does take me a little longer to do these runs (I am building up my Hammerdin) but I can generally get through these in 5-10 minutes, and fairly safely as well – unless a boss pack spawns with very nasty mods.

My merc can tank quite well while I fry and ice away!

18. Vajar

Vajar IncGamers Member

Ancient Tunnels is better for a Meteorb sorc - MUCH less dangerous, the monsters move pretty slow and no CIs (only 1 FI). Too many FI/CI mixed crowds in the pits.

19. Milamber

Milamber Banned

I didn't like the Ancient Tunnels as my merc couldn't leech :(

20. noneerror

noneerror IncGamers Member

I also recently made it Hell for the first time. I went straight to the Mausoleum (Pits seemed a bit far for a first foray) to get the good items and xp everyone's talking about. After cleaning it out, I found 1 single rare item... that's it. I also found about 2 dozen (blue) magic items, all of which were possible in normal, and all sucky. I most drops were arrows, bolts, gold (under 250gp) and nothing... lots of no drops. I routinely take everything I can fit back to town, and go back only when needing a repair. After the gold I got and selling everything, I didn't make enough to cover maintenance.

I didn't level, and I didn't get a single useful item, not even a gem. I guess I'm in an item rut. I'm still using the same gloves, boots, and belt that I gambled for in Act 4 of normal. (Then I was mid 20th level.)

Ever since Act 4 of Nightmare the monsters aren't dropping much. And by "not dropping much" I mean I have been returning to town to repair faster than I my inventory has been filling up... and I've been taking even the arrows back! What gives? Kurast and earlier wasn't like that. I actually found stuff, and in large enough quantities that most of it got left behind.

BTW: I'm not playing with LoD. My Barb is 56th level with a MF of 180%. I've been playing with players =1 except when doing Andy and Meph runs (which was after killing Diablo on Nightmare). I know I could up that to reduce the no drop%, (and I know I can handle it) but the damage I'm dealing is to low and makes it just too slow to play. I did notice that there was a huge change in the quantities dropped from Plains of Despair to City of the Damned and after (nighmare). Is the no drop% supposed to increase drastically at that point?

What irriates me the most is that I lost my maps to nightmare. <sigh>