The Peasants Tournament

Drystan

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: The Peasants Tournament

Haha Hans! When I saw the table, I wondered how my 'updates' would've looked if you could've worked any of them out. I'll update the table next in the near future when there are some more posts (unless Wayne updates on his Guardian post - best of luck for the final few stretches, but we all know you've got some inhuman patience and skill and can do it, :) ) and add up my score for the table as well.

'Grats on the drop too Hans! Difficult situation to choose between builds and the use of a great weapon, but I think the Ribby may be more useful on bosses, while keeping throwing skills around. Otherwise it's a build with a lot less skillpoints, and less effective.

HanShotFirst

Diabloii.Net Member

I had been planning to do an update of NM after completing Act 5 but Thud didn’t make it far . . . Thud was slain by three Ancients that were much much more effective than he. The shame was that despite very poor effectiveness through Act 3 and into Act 4 Thud finally seemed to be making good progress in Act 5. After shopping some ferocious throwing spears and a couple decent harpoons Thud had been able to defeat most of the monsters of Act 5 with few problems (the one exception was Frenzytaurs . . . Thud and Thadar could not kill unique Frenzytaurs. Period). However, except for Frenzytaurs Thud had been having decent success and even killed Nith without issue (who even dropped a harpoon turned out to be pretty decent). Thud then went to the Arreat Summit with his newly personalized Ribcracker for what he knew would be without doubt the most challenging battle of his career.

Thud had been dreading the Ancients since his last encounter that had nearly cost him his life. The biggest problem with fighting the Ancients was the very limited stack size of the throwing spears and the fact that there was of course no chance to repair the weapons. However, Thud thought he had learned from the last encounter and went into the battle well prepared . . . very well prepared. He then made one last ditch effort to bypass the impending battle, but alas, the gatekeepers could not be fooled.

As you can perhaps tell from the deeds screenshot the battle against the Ancients was very short. Only a few of the great many potions that Thud had brought to the battle were used . . . and none of the Ancients were seriously wounded or killed. The Ancients had spawned without any very terrible mods . . . but were of course deadly enough. Thadar was rapidly killed in the opening seconds of the battle. Thud had managed to use the Ribcracker to take Korlics hit points down to about 75% but after Thadar died Thud was simply always too swarmed to do anything with the Ribby. The throwing weapons were not any better. There was no room to use them and they weren’t doing any visible damage to any of the Ancients so Thud reverted to the Ribby and that was when he died. I’m not sure what Talic’s mods were but one whirlwind was enough to erase all of Thud’s 800 hit points. I attempted to use a fat purple but it wasn’t quite in time. RIP Thud.

Final Score:

Thud
NM Arreat Summit
Level 55 - 55
WPs 77 +77
Quests 51 +102
Cow King Yes +5
Normal Complete Yes +10

Final Score 139

Drystan

Diabloii.Net Member

Sorry to hear that, HanS. :( May Thud's deeds of honour be remembered.

Althyn is taking things slowly, but steadily.

Nightmare Diablo had a couple of tricks to catch a slow wolf, including a well placed bone prison. If his next attack was the lightning hose, I don't think I could've escaped too easily. He actually positioned it so that the curser moved over him, and blocked the town portal, so I was lucky to find a tiny gap where I could escape. He seemed to like trapping us.

But even a powerful wolf, capable of defeating two Prime Evils has his weaknesses. This invincible beast was neither undead, nor demon, but proved a major problem to Althyn's powers. Eventually, this power fell though, and although they arose quite often, they were all put down slowly.

Hell Blood Raven - bunch of undeads with high Poison Resistance. Kinda makes Rabies wolves look cool, even if it doesn't damage them much. Slowly, Blood Raven fell, as well as her undead hordes.

Althyn
Hell Outer Cloister
Level 67 - 67
WPs 86 +86
Quests 59 +118
Cow King N/NM +10
Normal Complete +10
Nightmare Complete +20

Total Score 177 (I think)

skoolbus

Diabloii.Net Member

Got to the NM Outer Cloister. Not much progress in a while, but I should be getting some more time to play now.

skoolbus

Diabloii.Net Member

Took down Andy. Since I have zero mf, she dropped junk. Some demonhide boots were imbued and were half decent, and I've nearly maxed all my resists. Just need to upgrade the bone shield with two diamonds in it to something a little better, and I should max them out.

Will continue on to Radament and Duriel! (is anyone else still playing this tourny?)

Drystan

Diabloii.Net Member

It is slowing down a bit, but Althyn is still in. He's gotten stuck though, and needs to shop an insanely hard item to find.

Fool's [fast sword type] of Alacrity or something. +1000 AR (x per level,) with fastest attack speed. He just isn't hitting enough, and the merc is using a Cruel Pike - ie, very substandard (even for untwinked) gear at the moment, and the going is almost unbearably slow, especially verse PI or P resistants.
Also, since he's holding a grailer in the form of Cow King's armour, I wouldn't really like to lose it. :)
I think Wayne's still in, but he's almost Guardian.

HanShotFirst

Diabloii.Net Member

I started a Plague/Ice Arrow Amazon right after Thud died and ran her through Act 1 of Normal but didn't post anything as interesting in the tournament seemed to be dwindling rapidly. Perhaps I'll pick her back up now that I know there's at least a few people still going.

Kyrandia

Diabloii.Net Member

I'm still in too. Haven't played this character much lately, since playing time is spread thin between several fun builds at the moment, but I wil certainly continue. Greetje is parked in Act 5 NM, not looking forward to the ancients with such crappy gear but we'll see....

skoolbus

Diabloii.Net Member

Level 61 and just killed Meph. Been getting a lot of uniques, but I'm saving the unique linked mail for my anya quest, probably give it to the merc.

Kyrandia

Diabloii.Net Member

That was a close shave!

I decided to do the Ancients on p1. For some reason I had a bad feeling about it, and the feeling proved correct. The short facts:

1. I forgot to put down any potions :doh:
2. My merc went down before any of the Ancients did. :shocked:
3. One of them had mana burn :\

In the end the only strategy left for me was running around in circles, being chased by the whirlwinder, waiting for my mana to regenerate....

....but I was victorious!!

The one mana potion you see in my belt is the very last potion I had. :whistling: Finds since last update: Berserker's Hauberk, Ist rune, Buriza.

Greetje, lvl 71 FB/GS sorceress, WSK level 2 (NM)

Drystan

Diabloii.Net Member

Well, I'm no longer competing with Althyn. His progress in A2 H (Rabies Druid) was way too slow, the merc had a shocking weapon, and my attack lacked AR and speed. It was too much for me to persist at. I twinked him (and went from 300(?) merc damage to 5000,) and shot through to A5 H. I imagine he'll be Guardianed in the next few days, as his merc now kills everything quickly. I'll retire from this tourney with the only Guardian so far.

Tables updated.

Code:
Forum Name     Character        Class       Location          Level    Points
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Drystan         *GUARDIAN Yu*   Necromancer   *GUARDIAN*      78     276
HanShotFirst   Ulquiorra  [RIP] Necromancer HE Frozen Tundra  79     232
Insane Wayne   Valen            Necromancer HE Frigid Highlnd 86     214
HanShotFirst   Megara     [RIP] Sorceress   HE Upper Kurast   71     209
HanShotFirst   Mara       [RIP] Assassin    HE Black Marsh    56     181
HanShotFirst   Scampers   [RIP] Druid       HE Rogue Camp     59     168
Kyrandia       Greetje          Sorceress   NM WSK Level 2    71     126
HanShotFirst   Thud       [RIP] Barbarian   NM Arreat Summit  55     108
OldSoldier     Serfa      [RIP] Sorceress   NM Arreat Plateau 69     113
skoolbus       Phoenix          Sorceress   NM Pandem Fortr   61      ??
Mursilis       Calypso    [RIP] Sorceress   NM Travincal      61     105
newco          Kyoko            Assassin    NM Spider Forest  59      95
ILikeRocks     CreamDream [RIP] Necromancer NM Far Oasis      44      91
Ipsilantee     GotALight  [RIP] Sorceress   NM CanOfTheMagi   58      **
krovak         Edric            Paladin     NM Cold Plains    45      67
Cope           Miluda	        Amazon      NM Rogue Camp     42      66
Morathi        Laila            Amazon      NM Rogue Camp     48      60
ILikeRocks     SpikeSpiegel     Barbarian   [WP 39]           45      58
JayeM          MaggieMae  [RIP] Amazon      Frigid Highland   29      49
azn_apocalypse Collateral [RIP] Paladin     NM Chaos Sanc     ??      ??
crazy_bear     Dunigan          Paladin     Crystaline Pass?  43      ??
Johnny Butt    Proletariat[RIP] Paladin     Chaos Sanctuary   27      44
thalidamide    FridgidMidget    Paladin     River of Flame    30      40
TheReadMenace  General_Horrify  Paladin     Pandemon Fortress 24      40
Morathi        Gorm       [RIP] Necromancer Crystaline Passge 44      ??
theBanger      Lowly_Peasant    Paladin     Great Marsh       21      26
sveinbjorn     Ikeelya          Assassin    Kurast Docks      26      16
Frenzyone      ZealFren   [RIP] Paladin     Arcane Sanc?      24      14
gCG            Pobrecita        Amazon      Far Oasis         24       4
Mooreyx        LowlyPeasant     Druid       Lut Gholein       19       4
Kanonfutter    Wotan            Druid       Lut Gholein       20       3
inNtonic       Helot            Paladin     Inner Cloister    16       0
iomanip        Smacks           Sorceress   Rogue Camp         1       0
ironbarb       Ikaldus          Paladin     Rogue Camp         1       0
20MuleTeam     Dr_Rock          Barbarian   Rogue Camp         1       0
Bondball7      Gorash           Barbarian   Rogue Camp         1       0
Raskah         Smulderrot       Druid       Rogue Camp         1       0
Legend         marek            Druid       Rogue Camp         1       0
Whommy         Plebe            Druid       Rogue Camp         1       0
linkato1       Lalli      [RIP] Barbarian   Jail Level 3      18      -1
EmperorMoo     WatTyler         Druid       Cold Plain         6      -2
Leoner         Faye             Assassin    Outer cloister    17      -3
xxnothing      Sylvia           Amazon      Tamoe             12      -3
Jetman         Giselle          Amazon      Black Marsh       15      -3
newco          Fenris           Druid       Cold Plains        7      -3
Culicidae      Vrresto          Druid       Outer Cloister    18      -4
Nogan          CrySomeMore      Barbarian   Stony Field       11      -5
jdkerr         Martin           Barbarian   Dark Wood         15      -5

Raskah

Diabloii.Net Member

Wow, I totally forgot that I entered this tourney...

It's been a while since I played D2 (a few months) so maybe I'll give a try to this tourney to "spice the addiction" a bit...

I'll beggin in this weekend.

Raskah

Diabloii.Net Member

Ok, Smulderrot finally started his journey, after months standing by the bonefire in the rogue camp.

Right now he's standing in Outer Cloister WP. The progress has been slow because I don't want the mess up with the tourney rules. Also it's my first try in Hardcore that gives me a itch everytime I play...

Anyway the journey has been smooth without much trouble with just a few exceptions: Blood Raven was a bit annoying with all the zombies and the chasing around the graveyard; the cave in cold plains gave me a warning sign that I was playing hardcore, besides Coldcrow which is always hard, a LE archer pack was located right by the entrance and I had a hard time to kill them. The rest didn't pose any trouble. A lonely Spirit Wolf has been a reliable tank.
The skills points have been spended in pre-requisites skills. Right now Smulderrot is lvl 17 so just one more level to get the two main skills: Fire Claws and Rabies. I still didn't decide if I max Fire Claws & 1 Synergie first or if I max Fire Claws and Rabies and then work on synergies...

About the gear, Smulderrot is using what is getting from the wilderness: a large axe with 3 sockets filled with 3 chipped topazes and a 2 sockets armor and helm filled with topazes. With just 36% MF he got a Rixon Keen short sword, Hand of Broc leather gloves and Hsarus Buckler. Also chippies have been dropping a lot, the inventory is already full!

Smulderrot
Normal Outer Cloister

Level 17 = -17
WPs 6 = +6
Quests - 4 = +8

Total Score = -3

crazy_bear

Diabloii.Net Member

Great to see all the progress since I've last dropped in.
I've been kindof off D2 for a while, as I got very busy with work and home repair and didn't have the time. However, things are slowing down again and Dunigan is still alive, so I'm happy to see this tourney still going.

I took Dunigan through Nilly's temple today, which added two levels and some gold, but there were no notable drops. Nilly went down pretty easy, I just dragged the ice boars out then ran around them to attack him directly while the merc engaged the rest. The few CE's that Dunigan took didn't seem to do too much.

So now he will be able to continue on to the ancients, and hopefully start his NM journey before too long. Still holding out on Anya's quest and the socketing to see if something even better than Goblin Toe shows up by the time he kills Baal.

CB

Dunigan, lvl 45 Frost Zealot, Act 5 NM pts ??

Kyrandia

Diabloii.Net Member

A short update to announce that Greetje has reached the status of "Conqueror". :D

On players setting 1, finishing NM wasn't too difficult, although the 3th minion wave consisting of fanatic Venom Lords was kinda tricky. Baal went down rather quickly, without summoning a clone or too many of those annoying tentacle thingies. His drop was useless, and so was that of the Cow King.

Finds since last update: String Of Ears(U)
Anya's quest was used on: Spectral Shard(U)

Larzuk's quest was used to put a perfect diamond in my crafted shield, which now looks like this:
Code:
Viper Rock
Small Shield
Defense: 8
Chance to Block:  32%
Durability: 16 of 16
Required Strength: 22
Required Level: 53
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 62
Fingerprint: 0xb19f259f
+12 to Mana
+7% Increased Chance of Blocking
Regenerate Mana 10%
Magic Damage Reduced by 1
Fire Resist +64%
Lightning Resist +35%
Cold Resist +48%
Poison Resist +35%
Socketed (1: 1 used)
The score below shows that I still have a long way to go before becoming the highest ranked non-necro participant, which is my goal. ;)

Code:
normal completed     108
nightmare completed  118
level                -71
------------------------
total                155
Conqueror Greetje, FB/GS Sorceress lvl 71, Hell Rogue Encampment

crazy_bear

Diabloii.Net Member

Dunigan has completed normal, clearing out the rest of the act 5 without too much trouble. One close call was caused by overconfidence, a cursed minotaur pack in the infernal pit surrounded him, and quickly knocked back his life. A few rejuvs later Dunigan was able to get clear, TP to restock potions and then return in order to position better, at which point they were no problem.

There were a few interesting finds, but nothing to compare to Goblin Toe for personalizing. It was hard to pick something to put a hole into, nothing had been found by the time Baal was dead so I spent all Dunigan's available cash gambling leather armors and flails. First leather armor gambled: Blinkbat's Form. Exciting to see gold on a gamble... if only that had been a Vipermagi it would have been even more amazing. Best option was this one:

Shadow Mantle
Serpentskin Armor
Defense: 162
Durability: 24 of 24
Required Strength: 43
Required Level: 24
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 48
Fingerprint: 0x70cd8900
+3 to Dexterity
+28% Enhanced Defense
Damage Reduced by 2
Lightning Resist +26%
Poison Resist +10%
Socketed (1: 0 used)

His resists aren't too bad in NM, so I'm going to hold off on filling the socket until it becomes clear what would help most.

The cow king dropped a vidala's ambush leather... must have been Dunigan's day for S/U leather armors! Other than that, the cow level basically just contributed to Dunigan's gem stash, which is always good.

Looking forward to NM now, it always gets a bit more interesting with the extra difficulty.

CB

Dunigan, lvl 48 Frost Zealot, NM Rogue Encampment, 60 pts

crazy_bear

Diabloii.Net Member

Slowly (due to amount of playing time) but surely Dunigan is continuing on his quest. Today he finished Act 1 NM with a surpisingly nasty fight vs Andariel. She hit much harder than I thought she would, and at one point the life bulb had just a sliver left before I hit the rejuv! In any case, many potions later Dunigan brought her down, to no appreciable drops.

Countess dropped a Ral, and he used his imbue quest on a rondache to try to improve his shield. Turned out Ok, but not special. 14 res all, 42 lit res, +47% dmg +92 ar, +41% def, 3 DR, and 10%FHR. It's a small hit on resists compared to the socketed shield, and the extra dmg doesn't make much difference, but it's the best he has for now. His resists are all about 50 with this, which is fine for now.

He has also been crafting. He has a safety demonhide sash, blood belt, safety amulet, blood ammy and hitpower knout. The blood ammy turned out Ok, the rest was so so. The knout is his best weapon so far though.

Skill wise he is currently working on sacrifice to try and get the phys dmg better. Now that he is in act 2 he will also hire a might merc. That should improve the overall killing speed, and help a lot vs the cold immunes.

So now on to Act 2 NM,
CB

Dunigan, lvl 53 frostzealot, NM Lut Gholein, 77 pts (I think)

Klonki

Diabloii.Net Member

I will try this tournament. My first. I'm playing 1.12.. HC.

Code:
Forum Name     Character        Class       Location          Level    Points
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Drystan         *GUARDIAN Yu*   Necromancer   *GUARDIAN*      78     276
HanShotFirst   Ulquiorra  [RIP] Necromancer HE Frozen Tundra  79     232
Insane Wayne   Valen            Necromancer HE Frigid Highlnd 86     214
HanShotFirst   Megara     [RIP] Sorceress   HE Upper Kurast   71     209
HanShotFirst   Mara       [RIP] Assassin    HE Black Marsh    56     181
HanShotFirst   Scampers   [RIP] Druid       HE Rogue Camp     59     168
Kyrandia       Greetje          Sorceress   NM WSK Level 2    71     126
HanShotFirst   Thud       [RIP] Barbarian   NM Arreat Summit  55     108
OldSoldier     Serfa      [RIP] Sorceress   NM Arreat Plateau 69     113
skoolbus       Phoenix          Sorceress   NM Pandem Fortr   61      ??
Mursilis       Calypso    [RIP] Sorceress   NM Travincal      61     105
newco          Kyoko            Assassin    NM Spider Forest  59      95
ILikeRocks     CreamDream [RIP] Necromancer NM Far Oasis      44      91
Ipsilantee     GotALight  [RIP] Sorceress   NM CanOfTheMagi   58      **
krovak         Edric            Paladin     NM Cold Plains    45      67
Cope           Miluda            Amazon      NM Rogue Camp     42      66
Morathi        Laila            Amazon      NM Rogue Camp     48      60
ILikeRocks     SpikeSpiegel     Barbarian   [WP 39]           45      58
JayeM          MaggieMae  [RIP] Amazon      Frigid Highland   29      49
azn_apocalypse Collateral [RIP] Paladin     NM Chaos Sanc     ??      ??
crazy_bear     Dunigan          Paladin     Crystaline Pass?  43      ??
Johnny Butt    Proletariat[RIP] Paladin     Chaos Sanctuary   27      44
thalidamide    FridgidMidget    Paladin     River of Flame    30      40
TheReadMenace  General_Horrify  Paladin     Pandemon Fortress 24      40
Morathi        Gorm       [RIP] Necromancer Crystaline Passge 44      ??
theBanger      Lowly_Peasant    Paladin     Great Marsh       21      26
sveinbjorn     Ikeelya          Assassin    Kurast Docks      26      16
Frenzyone      ZealFren   [RIP] Paladin     Arcane Sanc?      24      14
gCG            Pobrecita        Amazon      Far Oasis         24       4
Mooreyx        LowlyPeasant     Druid       Lut Gholein       19       4
Kanonfutter    Wotan            Druid       Lut Gholein       20       3
inNtonic       Helot            Paladin     Inner Cloister    16       0
iomanip        Smacks           Sorceress   Rogue Camp         1       0
ironbarb       Ikaldus          Paladin     Rogue Camp         1       0
20MuleTeam     Dr_Rock          Barbarian   Rogue Camp         1       0
Bondball7      Gorash           Barbarian   Rogue Camp         1       0
Raskah         Smulderrot       Druid       Rogue Camp         1       0