Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The Passive Zon

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by Anidem, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Anidem

Anidem Banned

The Passive Zon

Check out Passive\Valk based zon.

Champion Zon Priestess
    Lev: 60
    Str: 100
    Dex: base
    Vit: 225 = 893 life
    Eng: Base = 110 mana

The Idea of this char is to just kill with the Valk and use Decoy to tank for you or Valk whichever you need. Admittedly, this is a kinda creeping death rate of killing but with the total cheezeball gear I got my Valk is lev 28 has over 4k life and just biatch-slaaaped Hell Andy while barerly being dented!
    And can solo a small herd (about 10 or so) of Hell Cows. even the Decoy at lev 22 can take about 30 seconds of pounding from a pack of Tainted before needing recast, Not bad for the 3.2 Mana cost to cast.

My Cheezeball Gear:
    Skin of the Vipermagi armor-nice caster armor
    Howltusk helm- If i need mana for some reason I just take a hit or 2 and the mana is refilled!
    Gymnastic Gauntlets of Thawing- +3 passive skills 1/2 freeze.
    Sigons Shield and boots- +1 skills 10%leech (not sure if the Valk gets this or not, but the way she recovers life I think she does. Info PLZ!
    Ocher Heavy belt of the Squid- 20 LR +70 life
    Ring of Dim Vision - 24 charges
    rare ring from NM Ormus- resists at least 10 for all elem, DR by 2, 5% mana leech. Ok this not soooo cheezy!
    Athletic ammy +2 passive skills
    Maidens glaive +1 zon skills

SOOOO SAD, BUT SOOO GOOD FOR ME! This might possibly be the worst gear ever for someone to try to solo hell with!

I'm a caster that actually gets something for the VIT investment. ALL future points go here so by the time im 99 ill have 420 in VIT. I'm not sure what that equals, but I bet its a little over 2k life. Not bad for a non melee that only gotta worry about resists and there are a lot a ways to take care of that! 2k life+Max res.+Minimal melee Dam+Slow Missles = who said those lightning casting thingamajigs in act IV were tough? Not many can say that!

This is backed by a thorns merc. a Decoy with thorns Rules! But i have troble keeping merc alive due to low resists so this I gotta work on. if I could manage a bramble I'd switch to the Freeze merc. My kingdom for a wand of Amp to really set the thorns alive! does this Exist?

Skills- Simple, Max: Valk,Decoy,Critical Strike,Penetrate,Inner Sight (not the greatest but you got points to blow). 1 in Slow Missles, actually a usefull skill tat gets ignored. this leaves you 9 to divide to between Dodge Avoid and Evade( I went with 5,3,1 ratio). The only trick here is to save some and lean hard on penetrate at first to keep up your AR to get you to your Valk at 30.

And best of all..... The Sheer HORROR of the party in cows when they find out that what appears to be the mighty Javazon, Dosen't attack anything!

2. jim_harold10

jim_harold10 IncGamers Member

Never tried a build like this but my thoughts are that valk is a distraction and not a one man army.

I honestly think you will run into big trouble when you get to higher acts and fight tougher monsters.

good luck though.

regards

JIm

3. Anidem

Anidem Banned

well, like I said she bulldozed hell andy and can take packs of hell cows so im not sure what she will find so difficult that a couple of recasts wolnt handle. along with my merc.
    And I estimate that wlii get to about lev 35 untill I start needing real gear. so she now is only at 2/3 power.
    Honestly, even if she peters out in the chaos sanctuary thiat is still way beyond most other alterna-builds.

4. LuckyDwarf

LuckyDwarf IncGamers Member

Congrats on playing a fun and corky build. :)
    It sounds like you're having a ball.

Lucky

5. lextalionis

lextalionis IncGamers Member

Have you leveled your thorns merc and given him some leech gear?

A wisp projector might be fun to give you some more damage back or a Oak Sage to increase everythings life total.

Not that you have the equipment to do it, but it might be funny to make a build with enormous life and lots of damage back stuff. And just see where it went.

6. slayer37

slayer37 IncGamers Member

Hmmmm... big tough monsters are no problem for this build. What I think will be the problem are those many, small and fast monsters that swarm you the first chance they get (flayers come into mind). The valk may have long life, packs a wallop (the physical damage) and is easily recastable but she attacks way too slow. Another problem for this build are those monsters with revive capabilities (shamans and the like) because the valk will keep on killing the revived ones instead of going after the shaman.

I still think it's a fun build regardless of the difficulties... have fun! :yep:

7. Anidem

Anidem Banned

Yea Shamans make me have to lead my merc to them but once the crowd is occupied by valk and decoy it not so bad. espically considering my life and resists.

8. superdave

superdave IncGamers Member

cool and unusal build....just a couple of quick questions....

i see she is currently level 60.....approx how many playing hours have you invested in this zon?

when and if she finally "hits the wall" and can't advance further do you have any plans to modify the build...add a bow? i know that your dext is at base but i'm sure your penetrate is up there so the a/r wouldn't be too bad.....anyone here of a low dex bow that you can plink away strays with? how about rune word "venom"....pmh, monster flee and ignores target defense....some mana steal and a few hundred poison damage too.....anyone ever make one of these(if you can on a bow) or see one in action

saw a merc the other day using bramble and delerium....guy should have charged for admission.....quite a sight

9. DaemonX

DaemonX IncGamers Member

You should get all your passive evasion skills to 20 (with gear), as VALK AND DECOY BOTH INHERIT THEM!

10. royalesse

royalesse IncGamers Member

If you can afford bramble then you can afford a Reaper's Toll. The Decrepify will increase the thorns damage as well. If you're bent on Amp Damage then you can always throw Lacerators.

I was thinking about making a Tankazon using Beast... maybe beast would do well for this build. It would definately add to your Valk speed and Damage. Also the extra life from the WereBear and Lycanthropy is nice.

Lastly, Bramble is way better than the thorns merc. Thorns merc's can only only be bought in NM, and NM mercs usually have level caps at around lvl 15 or so. Since, Bramble has lvl 21 thorns so it'll do more damage... If you're doing a lot of damage from Thorns you may not want a Holy Freeze Merc. I have found that Prayer mercs & Might mercs work well with Bramble + Summons.

11. amphreded

amphreded IncGamers Member

sounds like a fun fun build!

i'm not sure whether a high lvl thorn merc would have better thorn damage than bramble or not. but i suggest if u have bramble, dont use HF merc since you probably want monsters to hit your decoy/valk fast for the thorn effect.
    i suggest using a might/prayer mercernary (or maybe even with blessed aim merc!) with bramble less u will still use thorn merc.
    basically u want monster to have fast attack speed (pretty weird) so they can hit your minions more frequently. oak sage would be nice as lextalionis suggested.
    you dont want to max dodge and evade since that means your valk get hit less, hence less damage from thorn.
    for your amazon, use witchwild's string for %chance to cast amplify damage. u will probably have hard time hitting monster so use guided arrow. or if u can afford high attack rating (hence, use atma's scarab and heart of wolverine from wisp for help) then u can use witchwild's string with multiple arrow with razor's tail and some pierce (for 100% pierce). you spam multiple arrow (with full piercing) until everything on screen get amplified damage by either your witchwild or atma's scarab. u can also use strafe but strafe lock means u cant spam strafe like u can with multiple shots. make sure u have good mana leeches.

So:

1 Inner Sight (helps reducing enemy defense too)
    1 Slow Missle
    1 Criticle Strike and 1 Penetrate (as prereq for pierce, u dont really need criticle strike and penetrate for this build if u are depending on thorn damage more than your valk's damage)
    20 Valk
    20 Decoy
    1 magic arrow (although witchwild grants u free magic arrow anyway)
    1 guided arrow (ITD, spam it on a single/small group of monster until it gets amp damage)
    1-5 multiple shots (with enough +skills, or 1 in strafe)
    1 Dogde (not 20, since u want your valk to get hit)
    1 Evade (same reason)
    20 Avoid (your valk avoid missles. thorn doesnt go with missle)
    8-9 Pierce (for 100% pierce with razor's tail)

These skills combine to around 80 skill points and leave much space for skills u dont really need but good to have:

20 Penetrate (helps valk hit better, but more importantly, make u hit better with your multiple shot/strafe for amplify damage on witchwild's string/atma)
    5-10 Multiple Shots/Strafe although u dont want so high for multiple shots for its high mana cost

and this still left u quite a lot of skill points for hybrid purposes :)

things to do or look at:
    -dont forget to upgrade your razor's tail for more potion slots if u gonna use it
    you may also want to upgrade your witchwild for higher damage but if u gonna depend on thorn damage, then it's not neccessary.
    -if u r able to play with a thorn paladin in your team, then that's the best choice for this build.
    -try getting some more minions via equipment. for example, metalgrid for iron golem, or cheaper charged summoning stuffs for more melee minions, hence more targets for monsters to recieve thorn damage.
    -you will need IAS for more chance to cast amp damage on striking. socket your bow with shael (or eth/ith for better chance to hit). i recommend getting a magic glove that grants you +amazon skill with +30-40 IAS (would be pretty hard to find though). use m'avina's diadem for +40% IAS or other rare circlet types for IAS and other great mods.

basically your gear will look like:
    Weapon: Witchwild with shael/ith/eth
    Armor: IAS like twitchthroe or crow caw, or bramble if u want your merc to use other armor. enigma for faster run/walk and teleport. armor is not vital for u since you will probably be in a safe rear place most of the time, so i recommend u using bramble while have your merc wear something else.
    Glove: IAS, +Amazon Skill (Bow). but mainly for IAS. Lava Gout also nice for lvl 10 enchant on striking and +20% IAS. if you plan to use lots of multiple shot and strafe with pierce, then hellmount is nice for its % to cast firestorm and meteor.
    Boots: Faster Run/Walk boots. gorefeet is one of the earliest unique boot and has 2% mana leech and 20% runwalk.
    Belt: Upgraded Razor's Tail for potion slots and piercing. or other belt if u dont want to use it
    Rings: Mana Leech rings, Charged summon melee minions rings. SOJs or manald heals. or best: carrion winds for twister and wisp projector for lighting and summons. try not to use ravenfrost for u dont want to slow enemies.
    Amulet: Atma's Scarab for AR and more amp damage chance. metalgrid for iron golem. or Cat's Eye for IAS and runwalk.

Merc Gear:
    Weapon: leech and/or big damage to kill more monsters. tomb reaver is nice. reaper's troll is ok. crescent moon runeword is great if affordable. breath of dying is also, if affordable.
    Armor: if your amazon use bramble on herself, i suggest using stoned runeword/chain of honor. even though u want monsters to hit your minions a lot, you still want to keep your merc alive. maybe grisworld's armor if it helps your merc's aura (i dont know whether it helps or not though). or use armor that benifits you when your merc got hit: Hwanin's Refuge for static field.
    Helm: something to keep your merc alive or benefit him if he gets struck. not delirium though since u dont want monsters to run away or amplify damage got overidden by other curse. kira's guardian is great but expensive.

Tactics when dealing with group of monsters:

(auto: thorn from bramble, other aura from merc, valk summoned, other possible minions such as HoW or oaksage summoned, passive skills such as avoid and pierce)
    1. Summon decoy and maybe dim vision/slow missles
    2. Spam strafe/guided arrow/multi shots to curse monsters with amp damage
    3. once desirable amp damage cursed monsters on screen, relax and let monsters kill themselves. be sure to still fire arrows at monsters so they consistantly get cursed.
    4. recast decoy/valk/other minions if needed. help your merc alive, help killing monsters those swarming him/feed him potions.

Problems:
    1. Group of Ranged monsters will prevent them getting thorn damage. use slow missles to keep your minions alive until they reach them. if your valk is high enough in level, your merc have good weapon, and you upgrade your witchwild string and use strafe/guided arrow on them, then ranged monsters wouldnt be too bad to deal with.
    2. Shaman and their minions. since now you have a bow with reasonable damage to deal, using multi shots or strafe will easily kill those little creatures. or just guided arrow at the shaman to death.
    3. End bosses. andy and duriel wont be too hard since they'll get thorn damage from hitting your minions. but diablo, meph, and baal will cause u troubles. u have to be patient and kill them with your bow/merc/valk. guided arrow comes in handy for end bosses. for nithalak, a nice unique ring called 'nature's peace' will help u out.
    4. Killing speed. should be a lot better now if you make this passivezon to become more of a hybrid with her bow.
    5. Stat Points readjustments. u'll probably have to invest lots more into dex to be able to equip witchwild. if u upgrade witchwild to diamond bow then the strenght requirement would be 89 while dex will be 132. you'll probably have to invest some strength to be able to equip it. but with help of charms, or other equipment, strength requirement wouldnt be too bad. for 132 dex requirement, you are likely to already have to put hit dex points for AR. this means you will have lower vitality though but since you have quite a lot of tanks and with fast run/walk and avoid, you are probably safe enough. just get good resist.

Afternotes:
    you wouldnt want your equipment to have anything to slow monster down or other curse rather than amplify damage. so no chills, no freeze, no slow target, no other curse on striking/struck. also no monster fleeing, no knockback is ideal. this is just to keep monsters hitting your minions fast while they're cursed with amp damage for higher thorn damage. beside amp damage helps breaking monster's physical immunity/lower physical immunity also.
    of course, i never try this build like u myself, but i have these ideas because currently i'm playing a bladefury sin who use act I roque to help amplify damage with her witchwild's string for better corpe explosion damage from Death Sentry. so it kinds of relate to this build, just that now you are the one, not your hireling, who deals with amplify damage to aid thorn.
    hopes this give lots of idea and variation to this cool and funky Passive Amazon build.

12. Anidem

Anidem Banned

wow amp you really took the idea of this to its max!

I really saw some great gear ideas but this char has trully ghetto gear and Mf runs are really slow so the chance to get good gear is basically praying with crossed fingers.

i figured I'd outgrow the thorns merc and i planned on using the freeze aura when i could scrap togeather a bramble.

i didn't plan on using a bow just for the purity of the build , but I agree that the idea Is quite good although my first instinct would be to use just freeze arrow. I'm not sure how much damage a bow I could use without taking 1/2 my life would now work post-Nerf so I figure any gutter low class hawkeye bow with frozen arrow and a cold merc would slow even the most frantic tainted pack down to Valk speed.

Thankx for the Great Info! Happy Killing!

13. Anidem

Anidem Banned

kinda got put-off this week (Major Overtime at work) hope to get back leveling soon! i figure my dimise will probably come when I get to areas that are maxed with mages or archers in the wide open ( hell Bloody foothills).

this build likes the action kept in the close confines.

14. amphreded

amphreded IncGamers Member

i see your point. you're trying to rely more of your valk's damage more than the thorn damage. that is fine. what i suggested above is to shift this build from relying only your valk damage to rely on thorn damage. since valk and decoy are great tanks, thorn will be really nice.
    i dont think if u gonna need a bramble if u r going to use HF merc and freezing arrow. what's the point of getting bramble if you are trying to slow your opponents down?
    i also dont think you'll be needing that much life if you are basically running around and recast stuffs. so why not use bow to assist your minions? well if u intend to be 'pure' passivezon then it's your style, cant argue with that.

15. Anidem

Anidem Banned

Why is it that everytime i put on a white shirt i gotta spill the coffe on it?

The freeze idea was for when i got to the big hitters that my merc will have a hard time with. (hell cows, bartuc and crew, M.O.D's) if i lose thorns there goes my crowd control with monsters with any leech. I just playing it safe.

I can tell you know more about the innerds of this game than I do so I am already thinking of the next mod. of this build. (I need a name for it, If one doesn't exist already) I think a javazon might give me more +'s to skill( jav and shield vs just a bow. and that is my bread and butter . mabye max fend for when i get overun. what you think?

16. Anidem

Anidem Banned

Is Tankazon thename of this build?

17. royalesse

royalesse IncGamers Member

Nah... The Tankazon was all Dodge/Avoid/Evade and Critical Strike. The idea was to make someone who was really hard to kill. As you can see that's not very many points so before synergies came out people went D/A/E, Pierce, and LF and viola the Javazon was born.

Back in tha day I got laughed at for using Javas then I started shooting and the laughter stopped. Then they asked to duel and the crying started... :lol: (FYI I'm not taking credit for starting Javas... just being one of the first on the bandwagon)... after that they changed the graphics of LF and it just seemed puny to the old graphics and then everybody started making them so they can skewer a few spits on the Moo Moo Farm and I lost interest.

This build is really something different though... it is all Valk. Valkzon... I don't like. Summonerzon will probably stick but seemes misleading since it's a Valk and a Decoy. Passivezon overlaps with Tankazon. A few people refer to the Valk as the Blonde Golem... so you can go BlondeGolemzon or Blondiezon.

Hope you weren't looking for a cool bada$$ name. I usually like humorous over 'cool' names.

Edit: Amphred... if he really wants amp damage shouldn't he just throw a lacerator? 33% chance... odds don't get much better than that. Also, you can save some coin and just swing it.

Edit2: With enough +skills you can turn this into a modified Javazon

+6 Amazon / all skills (2 in helm, 2 in Java, 2 in ammy)
    +2-3 Passive skills on gloves (you can craft hit power gloves until you get it).

Then you can go with this skill distribution
    20 Valk
    20 Decoy
    4 Dodge
    1 Avoid
    4 Evade
    11 Critical Strike
    1 Pierce (100% pierce with Razortail and + skills)
    20 Charged Strike
    20 Lightning Fury

Lightning as your main damage and the Valk as your 2ndary damage. The Valk synergies doesn't need hard skill points so with the +skills it has 50% D/A/E. If you include all the prereqs it's 109 skill points. You'll be classified as a Java though.

If you go bow I'd do the same skill distribution (except for the java & spear tree)but use a Buriza or a Hand of Justice (runeword) bow/xbow. I'd max multishot and get a Holy Freeze merc with a Reapers on it. All the baddies will be as slow as glaciers.

18. Deepfriedspam

Deepfriedspam IncGamers Member

There IS an answer to that problem, the ring Nature's Peace. Of course, if you wear it with a necro around, you will most likely annoy that necro to no end... ;O)

Nature's Peace
    Required Level: 69
    Slain Monsters Rest In Peace*
    Prevent Monster Heal
    Poison Resist +20-30% (varies)
    Damage Reduced by 7-11 (varies)
    Level 5 Oak Sage (27 charges)
    (Ladder Only)
    (Only Spawns In Patch 1.10 or later)
    "Slain Monsters Rest in Peace" means that the bodies can't be resurrected or they can't be used to raise skeletons (Necromancer). They can't be used for Corpse Explosion either. It will work only if you kill the enemy with a physical damage and not magical damage.

19. Anidem

Anidem Banned

Total Brainfart! of all the weapons I should be carrying BLOODRAVENS CHARGE! I can't believe this escaped me. It would be verry cool to add Revives to my tanks. How do the revive charges work? If I recall the skill lev is 5 so do I max at 5 revives despite my charges?

Also I had my first trouble spots today. RADIMENT and his damn Physical Immunity. Will a wand with LR charges drop this like elemental Immunities?

Second was the Arcane Sanctum. Just a freakin unreal amount of PI Ghosties. I ended up parking them on 1 side of the board.

P.S. to deal with rads revived I was using the "Cold Valk" which melted away about 1/2 the bodies and just did the fighting retreat to seperate them from the Chief

20. Anidem

Anidem Banned

BlondieZon...I like it! This works for me.