Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The Passion of the Christ

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by SuggestiveName, Feb 24, 2004.

1. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

The Passion of the Christ

I saw an advanced sceening of this movie tonite, so I'm sure many of you haven't seen it yet, but I wanted to post while things were on my mind.

This movie is probably one of the most horribly graphic, violent and bloody THINGS I have ever seen. I felt sick to my stomach at least 5 times in the theatre. In addition, the film is extremely emotional,and intense, very intense.

THE POINT: How is it that the same people who are condemning a boobie on tv are telling people to take their kids to this movie?!?!?! Now I completely feel that it is a personal decision about what movies you/you kids can or cannot see, but I find the double standard between sex(boobie) and violence(torture, blood, torture and more blood, in PotC) to be completely absurd.

American morals about sex, violence and religion are so messed up. That said, the film did give me the chance to test my latin skillz, as it is entirely in latin, hebrew and arameic(sp?).

2. TurdFergusen

TurdFergusen Banned

So there weren't any boobies in it? That instantly bumps it down to a rental.

3. Smelly

Smelly IncGamers Member

How was it, SuggestiveName? On a scale of to ten? I don't think they'll ever show it in Utah, so I'll probably have to drive to freaking Nevada just to see it.

4. dantose

dantose IncGamers Member

From what I hear they were shooting for accuracy not PC.
    a documentary about WW2 may have some bloody things in it too but we don't shy away from that. speaking of, the holocaust museum is pretty graphic but you still see field trips go there.

5. th5418

th5418 Banned

I want to see it, first off it might be a good film. Second, I want to see a.... film of how they put Jesus.

6. SuggestiveName

It was a very well done film. But it is very graphic (as I said) and violent, probably worth seeing like Schindler's List was worth seeing. Also from what I hear the movie is quite biblicly accurate, if that matters to you

(No boobies, which is a shame since Monica Bellucci is Magdalen.)

7. SuggestiveName

I'm not saying that kids shouldn't see it, and perhaps after the major release, the christian activists telling parents to take their kids to the film will change their tone.

Blood is blood, torture is torture, it is disturbing in any context. Seeing it shown so brutally and realisticly really gives insight into how cruel humans can be to one another.

8. Raft Boy

Raft Boy IncGamers Member

Because this has religious overtones that a lot of people want their kids to see. And there are some folks that can excuse violence if it's done in the name of (insert your favorite religion here).

Is it hypocritical? I suppose it is a little. But then again, religion and violence go together better than religion and sex. Crusades, anyone?

-Rafty

9. TurdFergusen

TurdFergusen Banned

That's probably why some of the crew got struck by lightning.

10. Canadia142

Canadia142 Banned

I plan on seeing it when it comes out.

I hope this doesn't turn into a thread about everyone condeming the people who say "oh no a boobie but violence is ok".

11. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

they showed Schindler's List on network TV unedited before, everything is flexible I suppose

I'll be seeing it, it'll be out soon enough

12. Choogy

Choogy IncGamers Member

The real question on everyone's mind is whether it would be anti-semitic or not...Suggestive, your thoughts?

And I think it should be seen if it is such an emotional and intense movie portraying it well...

13. SuggestiveName

Yeah, they've shown boobies and man-junk on tv before too. Why are people so uppity all of a sudden?

ALSO: I was trying to figure out why tPotC seemed so familiar, and I realized that the guy who plays jesus also played the Count of Monte Christo, and he has a beard and gets tortured for half of that movie too...

EDIT: I didn't see anything as anti-semetic, I mean supposedly this is a true story. Also the part where jesus "curses" the jews who condemned him was edited out for the american release it seems. But yeah the jews don't come off as nice guys, but that's the history of it I guess.

No one should think that this movie was made with any intention of offending jewish people.

14. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

yep, Jim Caviezel, I'm looking forward to his performance

15. Smelly

Smelly IncGamers Member

I'll give it a week or two before I go see it, to hear about what people thought about it. I mean, it's a friggin' 4 hour drive back and forth to a cinema in Nevada.

16. Canadia142

Canadia142 Banned

smelly kazaa is your friend. Or if you swing the other way, bit torrent.

17. TurdFergusen

TurdFergusen Banned

But there's gambling and legalized prostitution, so i'd say it's a good trade off.

18. Smelly

Smelly IncGamers Member

New apartment, supporting myself with lack of a job at the moment = 56k modem. Kazaa = enemy.

19. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

It's a movie about one of the bloodiest religions ever to exist. Not surprised the movie is the same. Remember, boobies are horrible and evil but graphic stomach-churning violence is ok as long as it's in the name of Jesus Christ.

20. Canadia142

Canadia142 Banned

This is what I was talking about in my earlier post. Please leave that crap out of this thread because thats not what its about