Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The Passion of Hex: A melee sorc guide V 1.0

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Hex, Feb 26, 2004.

1. Hex

Hex IncGamers Member

Well here is what I have typed up so far. When I get more time I will finish typing the rest of it. All that follows is the rest of the Gear Summary, Dueling Tips, and the Thanks section. Let me know how you like it so far.

As I sat, reading MongJerry's enchantress guide, and firther reading the Odyssey of Grizabella, the realistic fighter mage, I could not help but go and make an enchantress. This is my guide and as MongJerry said “This is one guys build, one character's adventure,†so this guide is not law by no means.

Skill Placement: Here is the basic setup for the placement of skill points

Fire
    20 Enchant
    20 Warmth
    20 Fire Mastery
    1 Firebolt (Pre-requisite)
    1 Fireball (Pre-requisite)

Lightning
    1 Charged Bolt
    1 Static
    1 Telekinesis
    1 Teleport
    1 Energy Shield
    1 Lightning
    1 Chain Lightning

Cold
    1 Frozen Armor*
    1 Ice Bolt
    1 Ice Blast
    1 Shiver Armor*
    *I recommend Shiver Armor over Frozen Armor because Shiver will give you more defense even if you decide to max it for more defense. If not it's still a good choice.

Now that we've laid down the basic skill point setup, with these 73 skill points it takes thus far, what to do next? Well I am currently experimenting with the Energy Shield+Telekinesis route. The idea here is to stack energy so you will have a big mana pool to absorb a lot of damage. Max Telekinesis because it reduces the damage actually taken to you and your mana pool. Max Inferno. I know what your all saying, i'm smoking crack. There are basically two types of characters. Those who use Chains of Honor and have max resistances and those who don't have max resistances. Your maxing Warmth (Synergy) and Fire Mastery as it is so why not. If your going for a bear sorceress then this might be right up your ally. Max Shiver Armor for massive defense. You could have somewhere around 10k defense if you play your cards right.

Stat Placement: Next section telling the stat point allocation

This part could be rather tough. It's best to have the gear you plan on using at your higher levels just so you know how much you will need.

Strength: As much as you need for your gear. My personel favorite is around 110 or so, just because I like nice, even numbers. If you are concerned about popping, then enough for Stormshield.

Dexterity: As much needed for max block with Stormshield. My calculations at level 85 was somewhere around 185 dexterity, but I know that is nowhere near the right number. Here is the formula for calculating how much dexterity is needed for max block:

Total Blocking = (Blocking * (Dexterity - 15)) / (Character Level * 2)

Vitality: Put as many points here unless you are going to use Energy Shield+Telekinesis route.

Energy: None here if your going vita route. Otherwise stack points here if your going the Energy Shield+Telekinesis route.

Note: Let me note that stats are my view, and I will say again that these aren't set in stone.

Gear: This can be the fun part. A downside to the melee sorceress is that it often takes quite a bit of time to get ready for combat.

Weapons:

Beast Runeword: A bit on the expensive side, but it gets the job done.
    Passion Runeword: I like this. Zeal and Beserk. What more could you ask for? Most expensive rune here is Lem. Not all that hard to obtain. Weapon of choice here is the Phase Blade.
    Baranar's Star: Good damage all around. Put a shael in it, and your good to go.
    Lightsabre: Weapon of the jedi! Decent damge. Put a shael in it to make it faster.
    Azurewrath: Kind of expensive. Level requirements don't make it all that appealing.
    Widowmaker: Bow of choice for dueling. Useful against certain classes. More on that in Dueling Strategies.
    Hexfire: Good for buffing up your Enchant. Not recommended for later on in the game. Good for leveling.
    Hand of Justice: Extremely expensive. Sur, Cham, and Lo is needed. I don't have one and probably won't for a while. Good over all though. That level 16 Holy Fire will turn into about 3 k damage with Fire Mastery.
    Robo-Phase: Ias/Ar Jewels, shael rune. Hits the 5 fpa breakpoint. Good if you want to be very fast.
    Eschuta's Temper: Good for buffing up your enchant. Get a +3 skills, +20 fire skill damage and put a 5/5 Fire Facet into it.
    Magic Orb: +3 skills, +3 Enchant, +3 Fire Mastery. If you get one of these with 2 sockets, I envy you. Put 2 5/5 fire facets in it.
    Leaf: Fairly cheap runeword. Just shop around for a +3 enchant, +3 fire mastery. They are few and far between with two sockets.

Shields:

Stormshield: Pretty basic. Best shield of choice here.
    Tiamats Rebuke: I currently use this for leveling. Good damage.
    Lidless: Use this to buff up your Enchant.
    Sigons Shield: Same as lidless.
    Spirit Ward: Behold the legend of the ethreal sorceress! Run around till you get hit and cast this.

2. jason166

jason166 IncGamers Member

If you are going melee, Max Shiver Armor, go high defense.

If you are going melee, Max Shiver Armor, go high defense.
    I can't stress how important good defense + max block is to a melee char.

3. Fable13

Fable13 IncGamers Member

I Agree Shiver Is Nice But I Value Energy Shield Over It. Thanks For The Guide Hex

4. Hex

Hex IncGamers Member

theres more later...thats not all ^_^

5. Fable13

Fable13 IncGamers Member

> < Thank You Stater Of The Obvious...Dope I Just Realized I Made It Sound As Though It Was ^ ^

6. wy4251

wy4251 IncGamers Member

looks good so far, few things

1) Hand of Justice gives level 16 holy fire. Which grants 85-97 fire damage. When you fight, fire mastery rares goes above 37. at level 37 fire mastery is + 282%.
    85x 3.82 x 3.82 = 1240
    97 x 3.82 x 3.82 = 1415
    So it adds less than 1240~1415 damage.. not very close to 3k

2) Don't list energy shield in the basic skill template. If you dont go for energy shield route.. there's no need to put points in there. If you want a lower level ES, just find a Memory Staff to save skill points.

3) Inferno is not a good idea. Pvp wise it's not an effective skill. Pvm wise, it's not very good not to mention your enchant grants good fire damage already.

4) Indicate that the Robo-phase only works after you shapeshift.

7. Fable13

Fable13 IncGamers Member

Wye I Could Have Sworn It Gave More DmgThan That Perhapes Your Looking At The Aura Dmg And Not The Dmg It Adds To Your Attack?
    Nvm...Just Checked

8. wy4251

wy4251 IncGamers Member

85-97.. according to arreat summit. hehe

Hex.. the basic is already pretty much covered in other guides..
    focus more on the dueling tips since less enchantress guides mention it

9. Hex

Hex IncGamers Member

Heh well Wy let me just say. I don't like how the other guides are written/worded and how things are stated. I'm going to continue writing my guide and hopefully we can get one stickied so people won't have to scroll forever just to look for a guide. As far as inferno goes, if you don't have max res then it WILL hurt you. And energy shield+tk route is a popular route, and I don't want everyone coming up saying "why didn't you put blah blah blah in your guide" I am simply listing all possible choices so people won't ask as many questions and can have a better understanding of the Enchantress