The "Pass It On" Tournament

zatlaren

Diabloii.Net Member
This sounds like a blast. I would like to join in. I have one other question. Do we pass along all the character files including map, key assignments or just the character file itself?

crazy_bear

Diabloii.Net Member
This looks too fun to pass up! Count me in.

One quick question about quest rewards: If you play act1 and choose not to redeem the malus reward, would the next person be allowed to go back and get it?

SuperSavage

Diabloii.Net Member
Not another awesome tourny idea skunk! :idea:

You betch ya I'm in. I'm really glad you there is someone like you who is so creative and has so many ideas for tournaments which are my favorite! Every time, something totally different and just amazing ideas you have put into it.

Already lots of people joined, I have a feeling that this one is gonna be packed with lots of laughs and fun :grin:

Quickdeath

Diabloii.Net Member
Really creative concept, entirely new ground for tournaments. Count me in, I'll try this.

And hey, Skunkbelly, c'mon over to my Scavenger Hunt #2 Tourney and sign up. It's another tourney you can be in while you're playing other tourneys like this.

Phosheez

Diabloii.Net Member
Hmm, I would like to join this tourney but im gonna be honest, i have never even played some of the classes so I may be out rather quick, and i dont wanna be the guy to kill an uber build. Aw screw it, count me in. Im gonna apologize ahead of time if I stink the place up though. Guess ill just be ridiculously slow and level up alot.

skunkbelly

Diabloii.Net Member
Oops, Another Important Rule

Thanks to Zatlaren for pointing this out. I believe it would be cumbersome to send ALL character files. Please only send the MAIN CHARACTER FILE (no maps, no backups, etc.). The new player will have to find their own way around (no big deal, since you can't go backward).

Unless there's a reason this would screw things up? Can someone more knowledgable verify, and maybe post exactly which file should be sent?

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
Count me in. This is too weird to pass up.

One suggestion, I think we should send in the map file, too. When I get a new character, I will want to get it to the next area without killing anything. That will be a lot easier if I know where the exit is.

One more thing: you wrote that we couldn´t go back to an earlier difficulty. Is that true for quest rewards, too?

skunkbelly

Diabloii.Net Member
For quests, too: so in the very rare instance where no player has redeemed a quest reward prior to killing the cow king, that reward will go forever unclaimed. Why a reward would go unclaimed is beyond me: if nothing else, for example, you could imbue an item or socket an item and then keep it in your own stash forever.

As for files: I think the feeling of disorientation from taking a WP into reasonably unknown territory fits with the spirit of the tournament, so I'd still prefer to leave the maps un-sent.

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
skunkbelly said:
For quests, too: so in the very rare instance where no player has redeemed a quest reward prior to killing the cow king, that reward will go forever unclaimed. Why a reward would go unclaimed is beyond me: if nothing else, for example, you could imbue an item or socket an item and then keep it in your own stash forever.
I want to play in a way that´s best for the character, long-term, not for me as a player. So it´s unlikely that I would want to cash in a socket reward in Normal, or to imbue anything other than an elite weapon or a class-specific item that would get an ilvl high enough for +2 class skills (if a caster). Oh well...

EDIT: I got the part about how the character switching works.

skunkbelly

Diabloii.Net Member
As for the quest-reward concern: remember, the rewards that would be most likely saved under normal conditions are item-related... but you will always send your character forward naked. Therefore, it isn't possible to do anything, item-wise, for the long-term good of any character... you can, however, save a good item that you imbue/socket/etc. with the idea that it will be helpful for a particular class in the future.

A side note: with so many contestants, this will be big fun. The likelihood of seeing your starting character again is already looking somewhat low... the winner of the tournament may very well have played 20 different characters by the time this thing wraps up!

Tom_S

Diabloii.Net Member
jiansonz read carefully. A list will be made with the chars and the players.

So if there were 3 players in the tourney: skunkbelly, you, me.

skunkbelly-->necro
you-->barb
me-->sorc

First switch skunk passes necro to you, you pass barb to me, me passes sorc to skunkbelly.
Second switch you already know you're getting a sorc, third switch a barb an so on (unless a char dies).

Hope that helps :)

jgreg7

Diabloii.Net Member
Phosheez said:
NM, cant participate cause im still using 1.10. Would have been fun though
Same here. Skunkbelly - what is your reason for limiting this to 1.11 only? (Other than the fact that it's your tournament, so you can do whatever you want!)