Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The OTF Debate (29.03)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by My_Immortal6, Mar 29, 2004.

1. My_Immortal6

My_Immortal6 IncGamers Member

The OTF Debate (29.03)

I am going to make a debate like this every now and then. The idea is to debate the topic i present, whether positive or negative. Feel free to debate with each other, but don't flame.

This week's topic is:

"That there is no such thing as a meaningless relationship"

2. th5418

th5418 Banned

People who marry/date others for only money is very meaningless. Do you mean meaningless emotionally?

3. London

London IncGamers Member

I do think you need to specify things more clearly.

But, onto the debate... I don't think any relationship is meaningless. If you date someone and it goes sour, you learned from it on what to and not to do in the next time around.

You said, marrying/dating people for money is meaningless. Maybe meaningless to the person who has all the money, but not to the person who wants it.

4. GIR

GIR Banned

Interesting.

Ok, I'll bite.

I think that there can easily be relationships where there's no emotions involved, but I think that no matter what, there's always some sort of meaning, be it money, or companionship, or booty, or whatever. When you're in a relationship of any type, be it friend, lover, etc., you always have some meaning, point or purpose.

Humorous story... my previous relationship, I was only in it for the sex.

Turned out to be the longest relationship I've ever been in. (4 years)

5. London

London IncGamers Member

Not really to hi-jack this thread... But, that is an interesting concept, well atleast to me. You say that you were only in it for sex, and you probably didn't care much for the girl. I think this is just one more point that goes to show, if you treat a girl like dirt, she'll stick to you like mud.

Back to the debate!

6. Croup

Croup IncGamers Member

It really does matter what you mean when you say "meaningless." Everything has some sort of meaning. If you're only in a relationship for sex, the meaning is sex.

But if you mean that no feelings are involved, it's hard to get a true meaningless relationship, but easy to get a one-sided one. I've been in them. I had fun while it was going on and didn't care when it ended. It really didn't mean anything to me in the grand scheme of things. The girl might have felt differently, although I don't know that for sure.

And one last question to the Europeans out there:

Why do you guys call September 11th "9-11" when you describe the dates as date-month, rather than month-date like we in the states do? That's always made me wonder.

7. GIR

GIR Banned

I wouldn't say that I didn't care for her, persay... we were together a long time, and after a while, one gets... attached, I guess.

To say that I treated her like dirt though is inaccurate. Back when I was working 60 hour weeks and making good money, I'd get her anything she wanted, and we went out all the time and did stuff. (Within reason, that is.) Hell, even after I wasnt making as much we still did, but that's just how I am.

Allow me to share what I've found to be very true in... romantic relationships, for lack of a better definition off the top of my head.

While it's good to be a sweet, caring guy and to your girl and all, which I certainly enjoy doing, it's good only to a point. After that point, said girl starts to think that you'd be better off as friends.

It's all about finding that balance between showing her that you care, and being self-assured and confident in yourself, with just the occasional little tiny bit of that "I can always find someone else" attitude that sparks that little bit of jealousy that keeps them attached. Girls don't like needy guys, plain and simple. They don't want to feel like someones mother.

While it's great to be a nice guy, it's the "too nice" guys that really finish last.

8. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

I think a relationship by definition has to have meaning to the people involved. Otherwise it's just interaction.

9. My_Immortal6

I think there is a very fine line between interaction and relationship, a line which can be blurred and grey. I think it all depends what you believe meaning to be.

10. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

I'd like to announce a brief hijack to place bets on when the next hijack will occur

what exactly is the meaning of meaning?

11. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

So then what's the definition of relationship?

Argh, so many questions!

12. My_Immortal6

Well if i defined everything there wouldnt be as much to debate. :p

Personally I think a relationship is just one step above interaction.

13. Ash Housewares

how about we define relationship as a meaningful interaction? :bonk:

14. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Well is it relationship in the romantic sense, or just my relationship to you, instead of with you? Is friendship a relationship or is it friendship?

15. asdf

asdf IncGamers Member

the best part of any debate is the misinterpretation of the topic.

"relationship" could mean anything between business relations, sexual relations, romantic, etc. etc. which all carry different... standards (can't think of a better word). i'll have to assume it encompasses all types of relationships. "meaningless" is subjective.

from a lawyer's perspective all relationships are meaningful because they can help with the case. =P

16. Ash Housewares

I thought the topic was intentionally vague, how do you know what's been missinterpreted? did you divine the meaning of relationship in this context?

17. gaoneng

gaoneng IncGamers Member

How can interaction ever be different from relationship? By sitting down in a chair I am interacting with the form of the chair and having a relationship with it. By shaking hands with a stanger I am sending out a message of recognition and thereby having a relationship with him.

I thought the question "what is the meaning of meaning?" was more urgent. That needs an answer. NOW.

Of course, being a Taoist, I believe there is no meaning in anything. There is no value.

18. Ash Housewares

they are two different words, there is no reason they can't have two different meanings

19. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Ah, but technically I have a relationship to strangers in that we are strangers... :cheesy:

20. GIR

GIR Banned

Which meaning of the word meaning do you mean?