Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The OTF chat

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Freet, Nov 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Freet

Freet IncGamers Member

The OTF chat

I just witnessed a pretty bad thing in chat. I was chatting with Amra when MT came in blurting obsenities. The bad thing is, MT is the owner of the room. Anyone that knows me can attest that I am about as far from a prude as you can get and yet I was offended by this. This behavour is not what I would expect from a chat room that carries our banner.

I would suggest that anyone with any sensibilities about such things not visit that chat.

I have stickied this thread to make certain that everyone has the opportunity to view it.

2. masterazn

masterazn Banned

They were song lyrics. And also, most of the people that come into chat have already agreed that we're a seperate entity, just a room for people to chat in. Just because I quote Tenacious D and their amazing new album doesn't make the room an unholy hell.

And by this, it's not "The OTF Chat", it's just a chat room that I took the time and effort to make because a few of us here wanted to chat instead of post every minute in threads as though it were live chat.

There are much worse things that happen in life than quoting lyrics about the devil in Tenacious D in the Pick of Destiny. As founder of the chat room, my behaviour does not accurately reflect anything about the chat room, you can ask all the regulars, I never say anything in there. Good Amra is usually the one to take care of things. Given that I was being obscene and crude, I don't think I was out of line. This is the internet. I've always been for an open chat room. I don't think being a tyrannical moderator is the way to go with anything. I don't frown upon anyone's opinion or the way they chat online. You are free to say anything in that chat room. If you don't like it, then perhaps it is not your place. But on behalf of all those that do regularly visit #otfchat, I can confidently say we're just a bunch of people that chat randomly about random things.

Do what you will based on this, I'll gladly PM anyone who's curious about what it is I said. It's Tenacious D lyrics, come on.

3. Freet

Freet IncGamers Member

As long as you feel that this type of behavour is ok, I would hope that our name doesn't have to be soiled by your actions.

Please consider changing the name of the chat.

4. TonoTheHero

TonoTheHero IncGamers Member

It's a chat created for us. It's not this forum, I don't see the problem. Especially now since there's a thread stating there's a difference, I, personally, can enjoy both without getting pissy at this place for playing by rules that the chat doesn't :smiley:

5. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

What the hell, a new sticky?

Well, if it was song lyrics I don't see the big deal.

6. Freet

Freet IncGamers Member

I had no idea they were song lyrics. But whatever the source, they were, well, I can't begin to explain how profane they were. Why would the source matter anyway?

I'm becoming quite concerned that people seem ready to judge my actions without knowing the words I was objecting to.

7. LonghornRob

LonghornRob IncGamers Member

I'm pretty sure I saw him quoting the same song earlier, and I have nothiing against it. They're actually pretty funny lyrics. I think you're going just a tad overboard here and judging too harshly based on a singular experience. The name of the room is OTFchat b/c people from OTF go there to chat, and it should stay that way.

8. Freet

Freet IncGamers Member

Ok, fine. I'm overreacting again.

Maybe I just need a break.

9. Elly

Elly Administrator

Freet's concern, and mine too, is that because it carries the same name as this forum, was created by members of this forum newer and future members might think it's a chat room set up by this site. He wanted to make it clear that it's not and that way you can continue to recite whatever lyrics you want because now there will be no confusion. He's quite right to be clarifying that.

10. FirsTimer

FirsTimer IncGamers Member

Dibs as backup mod while Freet takes a break :flowers: Have no fear Freet, there should be at least one thread not in a unrecoverable state of chaos when you return...should be =\

11. FirsTimer

Speaking of the chat channel, what is the server? I thought I saw it somewhere just a day or two ago, but my search results have been futile. Would someone be so kind as to enlighten me? I'm using mIRC...

12. ModeratelyConfused

ModeratelyConfused Banned

Starchat is the server.

13. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

the IRC channel is still alive? wow last time i checked.. there were only like 3 ppl. i guess ppl come and go a lot then.

14. FirsTimer

Thank you! I'm still having issues (kinda new to mIRC)...check your PM's

15. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

We're not supposed to be profane in chat? Oh :censored: I'm in deep :censored: :censored: trouble. :censored:

16. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Well, it's not like he was flaming or anything, is what I mean.

Well, I would've asked what the lyrics were but of course you wouldn't allow them to be posted or linked to here.

It does seem like you've been a bit on edge lately.

17. Gertlex

Gertlex Banned

It might not hurt and might please the admins here if it were changed to "The Unofficial DiabloII Off-Topic Forum Chat"?

18. ModeratelyConfused

ModeratelyConfused Banned

The thing is, it doesn't say Official. It doesn't even say Diabloii.net, it says DiabloII.

19. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Well, in that case I can't see what the fuss is all about.

20. Elly

Elly Administrator

Now the situation with the OTF chat room has been clarified I'm going to lock this thread. I'll leave it up to Freet how long he feels it needs to be stickied for newcomers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.