Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The original classic - Diablo I

Discussion in 'Classic' started by CheckMyPecs, May 19, 2005.

1. CheckMyPecs

CheckMyPecs IncGamers Member

The original classic - Diablo I

Browsing this forum has made me really nostalgic for the first Diablo game. You know, when Wirt was more than just a leg and rogues ruled. There are some really solid memories of playing it on my roommate's computer and being totally consumed. *sniff*

So I've been looking for a copy online somewhere, but even ebay doesn't seem to have it. Any ideas where I might be able to grab it for a stroll down memory lane?

2. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

It comes in the D2 Battlechest. That package includes the original, D2 and LOD. It also comes with the published Strategy Guide, which walks thru all the D2 and LOD quests. That package retails for about US$25-$30.

I have it and have played it a few times. But D2 kept calling me back...

Youy might also be able to find it at used shops.

3. Murrogh

Murrogh IncGamers Member

4. SwampBox

SwampBox IncGamers Member

D1 has better grahics than D2. Why? No clue.

5. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

Good thinking. But if you don't have a credit card or don't want to buy online, you can find it at places like EB Games or Gamestop. Personally, I like to pay cash.

6. superdave

superdave IncGamers Member

and you can still play online....i always liked the sound

7. WNxZerker

WNxZerker IncGamers Member

yeah D1 rules.
    I love going back and playing it, if you are going to play online you will come across alot of hackers as after the last D1 patch blizz stopped updating hack protection and people made hacks around their loose security. if you join a game someone will probably drop you some gear and it will be way beyond what you can find and buy, some one sropped me a gothic plate for my warrior and it had better stats than the valor that i got from the quest.

$20.00 to $30.00? its like $100.00 (NZ$) I payed far too much for my Diablo battlechest.

Zerker

8. arcso001

arcso001 IncGamers Member

Is there people still playing D1 online??? Thats pretty Cool :)

9. Great_Evils

Great_Evils IncGamers Member

I tried playing D1 again a while ago, I gave up before even getting to the butcher cause my character couldn't run...ugh lol.

10. leumas

leumas IncGamers Member

I didn't know the battle chest I bought include diablo 1 till i read this thread. Install it today, and someone drop me four +20 all attribute, +60 mana ring, along with 2 increase all spells 1 level items at my first game. :( Everything at the first few level drop like flies after that. I got bored soon, and quit afterward. Moral of this story, don't pick up hacked item.

As for no run, it's ok because diablo 1 map are much smaller then d2.

11. Great_Evils

Great_Evils IncGamers Member

True, but in D1 there's no such thing as "a quick run to the town for potions". The NPCs that sell things are nicely placed as far away from each other as possible and since its town you can't tele...lol. Running has to be one of the best benefits of D2 from D1.

12. leumas

leumas IncGamers Member

I agree. Futhermore, there's 3 merc that sell 3 different kind of goods. Meaning you can't bought health potion from the merchant that sell mana potion, can't sell charge staff to the merchant that sell armour and weapon, etc...The trading interface are cumbersome as well which what you would expect from a over 10 years old game.

13. Quezi

Quezi IncGamers Member

The D1 legit community was nice and happy... then D2 came and it just kinda disbanded =/ I saw it coming tho~ I remember sitting there in the DSF forum thinking "This will all end with D2 comes out" and sure enough it did.

The best part of D1 was it was so easy.. provided you knew what you where doing that is...

What i mean to say is, if you knew how to deal with the certain monster types you could just breeze through it... Thats why it was fun tho...

No, not because you 'could' play through hell/hell like nothing... but because it allowed... or forced... you to get creative.

Variants where what made d1 so fun ^^

From the not so hard but still cool LAW (low ac warrior, relies totaly on blocking and proper movement to kinda 'dance' around the mobs.. d1 had 100% blocking=P But because of block animation if you got swarmed you died... the thing is the higher level the warrior got the less ac it needed to get good armor protection too... so verry high level warriors where kinda automaticly LAW, which is why i dont consider it a true variant)

To the BNM (beyond naked mage.. cursed items only... the more they hurt your character the better they where=P) ... To the.. gopher 0_0 *play only zoomed in=P*

Also, playing dark was fun. In d1 your light radious was not only for you to see, but also for things to see you. If you got enough negative light radius gear the screen would be totaly black... but use a nifty infravision scroll and bam! You can see everything but they cant see you ^^. Ofcorse you also couldnt see where you where going... but thats where townportal came in=p It light up the dungeon floor with out giving you away~

Also, the focus on magic items over uniques was good. People always used to complain that uniques sucked too much, that was a lie tho.. there where uses for the royal circlet, helm of sprites(or wasit spirits.. people always used to say one and get corrected... i cant remember which was the correction) gotterdammerung, gibbous moon, the uh.. 75% all resist ring.. Dont forget windforce and eaglehorn=p The bloodslayer axe and civerbs cudgel where also verry usefull. As was najis(?) lightplate and the thinking cap.

But it was magic items that really counted. A kings bastard sword of haste was one of the the best weapons. How did you get it? You picked up every single blue bastard sword and identified it... drooling over the possibilities! You didint automaticly know what you got when it dropped.

D1 was a much better game than D2, d2 is just newer and people where getting tired of d1.

Most of the community that surrounded d1 has just dissapeared, d2 killed it. They either just got absorbed by b.net or left long ago.

Did i mention you could kill diablo with holy bolts? =d

I miss d1 =/ Everyone would just drop their items in town by the fountain that they didint need. THey wouldnt sell them like people on d2 do.

Also playing ironman.. where you start out from town and just keep going down, no returning.

Or even living off the land which is kinda like iron man but you dont have to do it in one go and can trade with other people doing the same as you.

Even the crappy hellfire expansion was worth some laughs =P

14. Jek

Jek IncGamers Member

Blasphemy! The monk singlehanded made Hellfire twice as good as D1 and about three times as good as D2. :-D

I almost cried when I saw no martial artist in D2, and when I heard about the "martial artist" assassin in expansion I was over joyed, then I saw she was just using claws and laying traps, BAAAAAH. I want a cool barefisted warrior that uses combos and stuff.

Monk4LYFE! :clap:

15. Quezi

Quezi IncGamers Member

who walks funny and has big flat feet? =P

The hellfire areas all looked like they where made out of playdough=p

That bow that shot fireballs was kinda neat tho =D

NOthen stoppen you from playing a no weapon warrior =P Aslong as you had max blocking anything was possible with enough patience and room to manuver.

Could pretend your one of those.. whats that one martial art that focuses around just fighting with only a shield?