Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The Oculus questions...

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by ElderDruid, Jan 29, 2004.

1. ElderDruid

ElderDruid IncGamers Member

The Oculus questions...

1. Is it annoying to be teleported 25% of the time?

2. I see on www.d2data.net that the odds of finding one rise to 2.39% for Griswold, The Smith, and the Cow King in Hell. Do you think this is accurate. Those don't see like particularly bad odds to me. My sorc is currently only in Act I Nightmare, but I do have a Necro in Act I Hell that can MF for her.

3. Have you ever found one, and who dropped it?

Thanks!!

2. m0nk

m0nk IncGamers Member

1. Yes it is annoying but you can't beat all the other mods with any other orb

2. Even if it raises the chance for drop, its still rare.

3. I found 3. Two from NM Baal and one from Hell Mephisto.

3. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

1. You teleport to where your mouse cursor is at that moment. For some it turns out nicely, like me. I always more escape danger than run into it when i get teleported away.
    No way comes to my mind in which you could control it consciously. You would have to be very fast ;)
    Apart from teh Teleport that orb is simply grand.

3. never found one, but i have 3 through trading.

4. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

That's being a teensy bit optimistic :)

The chance you've spotted there (2.39%) is the chance that said beastie will drop from weap51, the TC containing the Oculus' base item, Swirling Crystal.

The chance of a Swirling Crystal from that group is 1/23.

Then you have to check whether it drops as a Unique...

So you'll need to take a bit longer to get an Occy. It's a good idea to beat up NM Meph for it if you can since he can also drop some other good things too (which you can keep or trade whilst hunting for an Occy).

5. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Hmm, shade. An interesting thing to see would be an itemlvl list. Do you have one handy to post for some of the more imortant items, or cann it all be found at d2data?

6. ElderDruid

I thought that was too much to ask! :)

Unfortunately, the best thing I have to trade for something of that value is a near-perfect Vampire Gaze, which I don't want to give up.

7. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

Most of d2data's item information looks pretty accurate. The only obvious problem is that their drop info in NM and Hell is questionable (due to area scaling, which they haven't accounted for).

Keep in mind that although there's a link for TC90, it doesn't exist anymore and was rolled down into TC87 (their TC90 link should be deleted).

8. Tarsalith

Tarsalith IncGamers Member

I just got an occy of nm Diablo while doing a run for the forge
    personally i like tals set better than occy so mines up for trade=)

9. redsand.

redsand. IncGamers Member

The oculus teleport feature is great for non-block sorceresses in pvp. Has gotten me out of a few sticky situations (whirlwind anyone?).

10. Mr_Grimm

Mr_Grimm IncGamers Member

well that's actually incorrect, you teleport to a random location, not to where the pointer is.

11. Anaix

Anaix IncGamers Member

About your third question...I have a "story" I really enjoy saying. In 1.09 I found Oculus when I was 40 lvl, in Pandemonium Fortress, nightmare. After some cave leaper died, something golden appeared. Back then, I couldn't even use it (it requires lvl 42) and I had 100 MF on me. Just like that. I know it was dumb luck.... I did "n" Meph and Pindle runs in hell afterwards and I've never seen an Occulus since. What more can I say? I wish you good luck! :)

12. gods_pawn

gods_pawn Banned

that is incorrect. you do not teleport where your mouse cursor is currently, otherwise i would be perpetually teleporting directly into the enemies i was attacking, and that isn't the case. say you are fighting mephisto, tanking him while dropping meteors on him. your mouse is hovered RIGHT on his head. i get hit. i teleport 3/4 of a screen to the left, instead of teleporting right where i am to start with. there was a discussion on this before, and it was deduced to be entirely random.

edit: i see that someone else pointed this out too. oops, no problem reinforcing it though.

13. wangboBW

wangboBW IncGamers Member

Anyone has ever been a big fan of wizpike??? I have always used it above occulus for some reason. Since it makes hitting 63FCR rate easier, and I always seem to need more resist charms than usual. Ok if you were rich, I am sure you could get maxed resist, but with relatively untwinked gear, occulus just doesn't have enough resist.
    Has anyone else noticed that? (I have found a occulus from Andy hell, I know this post is kind of irelevent, but can anyone confirm that they too like wizardpike untwinked?)

14. prion

prion IncGamers Member

I found one once, was just plain dumb luck, it was nightmare bloody foothills and after everyone was done with the run they were in town, I opened a chest just outside of town and plop there it was.

Teleporting can be very anoying at times, it can put you in danger, screw up your timing, move your merc away from his target. I would recommend imbueing some orbs or try to find/trade for a couple of nice rares for use in certain areas of the game where teleporting is highly inconvenient--skeleton archers come to mind, if your defense rating is low.

15. amishamigo

amishamigo IncGamers Member

I'd recomment wizspike at first. Occulus has wonderful mods but wizspike is so much more obtainable. It's especially good if you're going blocking and even better if you're teleporting around (godly cast rate and a great mana bonus)

I found one while flawless gem farming in a completed hell cow game. It was just laying there. Found another from hell mephy, in one drop he dropped me an etheral lidless and etheral occulus. Those looked so cool together :D

16. ElderDruid

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a Wizard's Spike? I'm not able to find it in the online databases. Thanks.

17. mathil

mathil IncGamers Member

its a dagger. 50 fcr, 75 all res, +10% mana.

its exception or elite, i forget which. i believe the item type is bone knife.

18. m0nk

m0nk IncGamers Member

And it's main downfall is lack of +skills, which you can get +3 for a weapon slot. Thats allot of power to lose out on. Its a defensive choice good for a starting weapon or for hardcore. The orbs are much better IMO.

19. Stiertje

Stiertje IncGamers Member

You can find Wizardspike here

http://www.diabloii.net/items/uniques/weapons_daggers-elite.shtml

And as for the Occulus, yes, the teleport CAN be annoying, but I must say that it has saved me more then it has brought me into danger. You MUST however have good resistances and decent block to survive a random teleport into a mob. If you don't have both, don't use Occulus.

There is another thing about Occulus that is actually quite funny. You remember those pesky Black Souls right? Well, when they hit you with their Lightning you actually get hit 5 times. Combine this with the 25% chance on random teleport it means you WILL teleport when they hit you. Also when you teleport the Souls instantly fire at your location, while when you're running they miss a lot. So when you get hit, you'll keep getting hit until you're either dead or have a block between you and them. Most of the time you will be dead.

It's quite a sight when you teleport right into a mob of Souls with the Occulus handy. Talking about a HEFTY teleporting session :) :) :) Luckyly I have Thundergods Vigor AND Wisp Projector on my Blizzard sorc, rendering Souls harmless to me.

20. Stiertje

Stiertje IncGamers Member

You can use Wizardspike for teleporting only, and for the killing, switch over to Occulus or whatever orb you have.