The No Vitality Tournament

azn_apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: The No Vitality Tournament

I have not forgotten about Sidd_Finch. The quest to have one Guardian of each class in this tourney is still alive.

Sidd started out at /players 5 in Hell, clearing the Blood Moor and the Den. On the first boss pack of Fallen, Sidd forgot to put on his MF helm when the merc killed the boss, and the boss dropped a RARE flying axe. Gah! :steam: What might have been...

When Sidd got up to Blood Raven, he quickly discovered that Ghouls, Skeletons, and Zombies are a lot tougher than Fallen and Quill Rats at /players 5, so he scaled back to a more manageable /players 3. (Blood Raven still took forever to kill.) The Crypt and Mausoleum were cleared out. Something in one of the tombs dropped a nice helm for Sidd.

After rescuing Cain, Sidd turned to the Countess quest. In the Tower, physical immune ghosts were a problem. I parked a couple of boss packs of these because Sidd's only method of dealing with PIs is a humble throwing knife of amp damage. That works in most situations, but not for big packs of ghosts. Other than ghosts Sidd didn't have too much trouble fighting his way down the Tower and slaying the Countess. She dropped a Lum rune, Sidd's second.

Sidd got a lucky roll in the Pit and didn't have to deal with any dark stalkers, just archers, fallen, and bone warriors. No problem. The taunt skill dealt with the archers quite nicely. I placed several extra skillpoints in taunt because most other useful skills for Sidd are maxed out. In the Pit Sidd found a 2 os Stygian Pike, which was socketed with a "Strength" runeword to make a poor man's Hone Sundan for the merc. The CB from this weapon enabled me to get up to /players 5 again.

In the monastery, a combat shrine spawned next to the Malus area, causing the Smith to be completely owned. Sidd's LCS with the shrine on: check out that attack rating! I had another narrow miss at a great item in the Jail when this dropped. Gah, again! If only that had dropped gold...

Smooth sailing down to Andariel's chamber. I had to take care of a scary zombie boss before I opened up Andy's room. Andariel was actually pretty easy and Sidd relied almost entirely on the merc. Because of Battle Orders, the merc had enough life so that he was able to get in some good CB hits before his health got too low, and when it did I would just TP out, heal us up, and repeat. It took many trips to town, but it was effective; my merc only died once. Unfortunately Andy decided to drop 3 worthless uniques. The IK belt wasn't bad, but I had already found one.

Sidd started to acquire some more interesting items in Act 2. First, Goblin Toe from the Sewers, another source of CB. Then, I did some crafting. I had the materials to craft five Blood Axes, so I followed jiansonz's advice from earlier in the thread and shopped Fara for some Winged Axes. With a <2% chance for Fara to have an elite upgrade on a given item, it took a long time to shop five of them. My first two results were disappointing, but then on the third try I scored this, then this on the fifth try. The last one - :thumbsup:

For the next update, Sidd will do some field testing of these weapons in the desert...

azn_apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member

What happened to Sidd?

Ulla
He's still alive, though no progress since the last update. I haven't had time to play for awhile - only Diablo I have had time for lately is the D2 thread "MS Paint Diablo", heh heh.

I anticipate having some more D2 time starting in January. Then I'll make a final push for Guardian with Sidd and some of my other idle tourney characters.

Thanks for asking!

UllaV

Diabloii.Net Member

He's still alive, though no progress since the last update. I haven't had time to play for awhile - only Diablo I have had time for lately is the D2 thread "MS Paint Diablo", heh heh.

I anticipate having some more D2 time starting in January. Then I'll make a final push for Guardian with Sidd and some of my other idle tourney characters.

Thanks for asking!
You're welcome.

The reason i was asking is that to have seven guardians on all diffrent classes is in this tourney is your responsibility now.

With all the love: Ulla

wakiki

Diabloii.Net Member

Well, since it's on the first page again I guess I won't feel bad about bumping it. azn, it will be awesome if you complete the sept for this tournament. :) Ulla, your bump made me laugh. Love it. :)

Looking back at the table, how odd it is that no one died in Hell Acts III, IV, or V, but four died in Act II.

UllaV

Diabloii.Net Member

This is definately one of the best tourney threads there are and if it is true that this would be the first tourney having seven guardians with all different classes I support the idea getting a barbarian to guardian. If azn won't manage it I might take a shot at it.

Ulla

azn_apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member

This is definately one of the best tourney threads there are and if it is true that this would be the first tourney having seven guardians with all different classes I support the idea getting a barbarian to guardian. If azn won't manage it I might take a shot at it.

Ulla
You should give it a shot. :thumbup:

It will probably be a month or so before I have time to play again...RL obligations, sigh. But that is prolly enough time to get from Lvl 1 to Guardian.

azn_apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member

In memory of UllaV I'm going to put my other characters on hold and do my best to get Sidd-Finch to Guardian (See Ulla's post above this one).

Brief update: I made some progress and got Sidd up to the Palace so far. He really likes his new throwing weapons! Players 5 all the way with the exception of some really dangerous/annoying areas such as Maggot Lair and Claw Viper Temple Level 2. There were a couple of scary moments but no real NDEs.

My next post will have a full update of Act 2 with details and screenies.

azn_apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member

A funny thing happened in Act 2. Sidd's main attack is Double Throw but when it's safe he also wails on the monsters with low-level Frenzy in order to save on repair trips to town. In the Arcane Sanctuary noticed that Sidd's Frenzy attack was doing just as much, if not more, than his Double Throw attack. That didn't appear to match what the LCS said. Look at this picture showing Sidd's damage output and the %ED of his skills (note: the actual dmg on the weapons is almost identical for throwing and melee). The Frenzy should be higher but on the LCS it's about half of the Double Throw damage. Strange...

A monster in the Arcane Sanctuary dropped a Tiamat's Rebuke. I used this throughout the rest of the Act for its elemental damage against phys immunes, like this guy. (That boss has also had his physical immunity broken thanks to amp from the merc's weapon. See below for my discussion of merc weapons.)

Found the Summoner on the second wing I tried. He fell easily to Sidd's throwing weapons. I would have completed the Act quickly after that but I actually took the time to run all the false tombs. These were tough and took me several sessions to run, b/c t seemed like a lot of monsters there were either physical resistant or physical immune. I was forced to knock the players down from 5 to 3. I didn't find anything good in the false tombs, but in the true tomb right at the entrance a monster dropped a 4 OS Colossus Voulge. I had installed RW mod a couple of months back so I checked the rules to make sure it was OK then made a hurty stick for my merc.

This gave my merc some stability after trying a few different weapons on him in Act 2, and disliking all the choices. Coming into the Act he had been using the "Strength" Stygian Pike, but its minimum damage was terrible. I tried a regular Pike of Amplify Damage and used that for a good portion of the Act- it was needed for ghosts and non-phys immune amped monsters fell unbelievably quickly to Sidd's attacks - but its damage output was also not enough. The Insight Colossus Voulge is much better than either of these two options. The only problem is the enormous strength requirement: 210!! I had put Hwanin's armor on the merc (the ctc Static is excellent against groups) but he needs to wear armor socketed with some amethysts just to wield this weapon. The ctc Static is greatly missed. If I find another 4 OS weapon with a lower str requirement I will probably just make another Insight, since Sidd has the runes to do so.

At this point my merc was just mowing down monsters so I kicked the players back up to 5. I found Duriel's chamber quickly and took him down. The fight was easy as BO+Battle Cry+Thawing Potions made Duriel's attacks useless against the merc. Well, OK, Duriel still dished out a ton of damage against the merc, but only enough so that we were still able to get in a lot of good hits against him before each trip back to town. Duriel's drop had several sets in there but I had already found every single one.

Act 3 is next! Time to max out that Lightning Resist!

azn_apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member

Sidd was prepared to face Gloams in A3 Hell. As soon as he entered the Great Marsh he used the Angelic Set and Tiamat's Rebuke to get his lightning resistance up to 75 on switch, and walked very slowly through the level, expecting lightning bolts to shoot onscreen at any moment. But he got lucky: the Great Marsh only had fetishes and two types of swamp monsters, no gloams.

Monsters in the jungle were easy to kill. Sidd's high-level taunt dealt with the blowgun flayers nicely. Sidd went through a lot of axes though. When Sidd needed to repair, he used the Kurast WP to go to the Rogue Encampment and visit Charsi - the Rogue Encampment WP happens to be right next to her, so it's a lot a shorter than running all the way through Kurast to visit Halbu!

Check out Ormus's "gift". One of the worst ever!

Stormtree was a tough challenge. I screwed up at the start of the fight. I tried to use the Kurast bridge as a bottleneck to prevent Stormtree from getting across while I killed his minions, but somehow Sidd and the merc ended up in the middle of the pack. Stormtree was also Holy Freeze enchanted, a tough combination with his strong fast attack. Eventually we killed the pack, but not before the merc had fallen twice.

Check out what Sidd horked in the sewer. A rare find indeed! Not sure how useful it is for the current build, though.

Sidd currently sits at the Upper Kurast WP. Next he will enter the Durance and take on Mephisto.

azn_apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member

A4 Hell. This act was hard! Sidd started the act at players 5 but found the monster regeneration to be too high and adjusted the players setting back down to 3. The first area of A4 was completed with a monster mix of corpse spitters, leapers, and grotesques. A 5-OS Thresher dropped in this area. Sidd made an Honor out of it and replaced the merc's Insight so he could wear Hwanin's Refuge (for the ctc static).

Another stroke of luck in Plains of Despair - once again gloams did not spawn in an area they could have. Sidd dealt with bats and balrogs instead.

A pretty good rune was horked in the River of Flame. The drop from Hellforge was much worse...so disappointing.

With Iron Maiden gone, I found the Chaos Sanctuary to be much easier than before. Sidd wouldn't really have IM concerns anyway since he is long range, but the lack of merc deaths was nice. I forgot to up the players setting before spawning Diablo so he was killed at players 3 when Sidd easily could have handled a higher setting. His drop was underwhelming. (BTW, looking at that shot, interesting how Diablo's Bone Prison stays up even after he has expired. Does it also work like that for player characters, e.g. Necromancers?)

One more Act to go!

wakiki

Diabloii.Net Member

Nice progress, Apoc! Good luck in the last act. So close to completing a sept for this tournament...