Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The Nightmare: A Dream-using Meleemancer Build for Ladder

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by JanusJones, May 27, 2005.

1. JanusJones

JanusJones IncGamers Member

The Nightmare: A Dream-using Meleemancer Build for Ladder

Welcome to the Nightmare guide, an outline of a necromancer character whose style of play and . . . well, overall style is new, different, and effective! Be forewarned that this build is based around a LOT of expensive stuff, so it won’t be attainable for new players or those with limited trade “bank accounts.†It’s also based on ladder-only equipment – more’s the pity, but we don’t get the same cool toys off-ladder!

As you may have all ready guessed, the main focus of this build is the ever-popular new ladder runeword Dream. Here are it’s basic statistics:

Dream
    Helms, Shields (3 sockets): Io, Jah, Pul
    10% Chance to Cast Slvl 15 Confuse when Struck
    Slvl 15 Holy Shock Aura when Equipped
    +20-30% Faster Hit Recovery
    +30% Enhanced Defense
    +150-220 Defense
    +10 to Vitality
    Increase Maximum Life 5%
    +0.625 Mana Per Clvl
    All Resistances +5-20
    15-25% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Nice little piece of work, eh? Now here’s the trick: the Nightmare is based off of one simple idea: lowering resists.

The key to lowering resists is twofold. With regular monsters, any lowering of their resists equals a raise in the elemental (or poison – more on the difference between these two categories of damage later) damage you deal to a target. The twofold aspect of resists comes into play when dealing with immunes.

Now as any Poisonmancer can tell you, there are two parts to “breaking†(the term used for making a normally immune monster vulnerable to an attack) an immune monster. Even with a perfect (-50% to enemy resists) Death’s Web socketed with a perfect poison facet (another –5%), the three-piece Trang Oul’s set (gloves, shield, and belt, adding a set bonus of –25% to enemy poison resists to the shield), a perfect poison facet in the shield and another in a helm, you CAN NOT damage poison immunes. The secret is a little skill called Lower Resist.

If you cast Lower Resist on an immune and THEN, using your “lowers enemy resist†gear, cast Poison Nova, most Poison Immune monsters will turn green and, eventually, die (provided your poison skills are high enough to do decent damage, of course). The key is that skill damage is applied first, and can “break†the immunity – taking a monster from, say, 130% resistance to 100%. The key here is that when you break a monster, it always takes the critter to 100% - just under the immunity limit. Thus in order to damage it afterwards you need lower resist gear.

All right! Lecture’s over, so here comes the build!

THE NIGHTMARE

Since there are three different layouts I’ll detail here and the skills you use for each will depend on the equipment they use, I’ll start with equipment. I won’t go into extreme detail on the specifics of each item, as that information is easily available in a number of different places. I will try putting links to the information throughout, however.

NIGHTMARE: VISION OF THE REAPER

This variant is named for his appearance – he wields a giant scythe for mowing his enemies down. His face is masked by an emotionless skull, its hollowed eye sockets emptily staring into his victim’s souls. He is cloaked in a green mist, and the very sight of him saps his enemies will to fight, leaching the strength from their limbs, leaving them naked and helpless before the slicing arc of his blade.

This version of the Nightmare is a new take on a Meleemancer, and will require the following:

Helm: Dream
    I suggest putting this in a Bone Visage or Grim Helm – the resulting effect with a scythe-wielding necromancer can’t be beaten . . . as you’ll soon see. The Holy Shock aura will add 1-648 lightning damage to your attack, in addition to doing a small amount in a pulse to everything within 13.3 yards of the character. It also adds a handy bonus to resists, faster hit recovery, good defense, and extra life – what’s not to like?

Weapon: Infinity (Giant Thresher)
    Though this runeword is commonly used as a mercenary weapon for elemental-damage based characters, this version of the Nightmare uses it as a primary weapon. Some of you may complain that the build will be more effective if this item is on a mercernary, allowing the Necro himself to equip skills boosting gear. This is true, but part of this build is style – he looks awesome! Also, I have included two versions of the Nightmare build which use this item on a mercenary – this is a build specifically designed for the Necro himself wielding it.
    Anyway, on to the description: this is a NASTY weapon! It will activate around your necromancer a level 12 Conviction aura, lowering your enemies resists by 85% and their defense by 83%. This will make all your enemies INCREDIBLY vulnerable to the lv. 15 Holy Shock aura from the Dream helm, especially as the polearm carries another –55% to enemy lightning resists above and beyond the aura! Further, it will up your hit rate as a Necromancer – especially important as Necros, as often noted, have very few good ways of gaining enough attack rating to hit enemies with weapons. It also has 40% Crushing Blow – a premium modifier for any melee weapon, a bonus to Vitality based on character level, and, last but not least, charges of level 21 Cyclone Armor (which, in combination with Bone Armor, makes for a very well-defended Necro!). I recommend building it in a Giant Thresher for two reasons: first, it’s one of the fastest polearms around, and second (and more importantly, in my opinion), it makes you look like the Grim Reaper!

Boots: Marrowwalks
    Another must-have. The reason is twofold – first, the bonus to Skeleton Mastery, and second, the charge bug. The charge bug means that with a single skill point investment in Bone Armor your character, without ANY +skills equipment, has a 515 point damage shield between him and any melee opponents. This is the best choice you can make - period.

Armor: Enigma
    This is up for debate, but I chose it for several reasons. First and foremost, Teleport is an indispensible skill for a necromancer. It allows for quick movement, for both getting where you want to go and escaping in a hurry. Furthermore, when you have summons, it provides an amazing benefit – something commonly known as “summon stacking.†Summon stacking refers to an effect that occurs when you teleport with a character who has a number of summoned creatures, and is a quality commonly exploited by dueling “windy druidsâ€: when you port, your summons are all teleported with you, ending up in a group surrounding you. This means that whatever hits you right after a “bamf†will hit your summons first. This seemingly insignificant bonus can make the difference between life and death when you’re fleeing at low health from a nasty Hell boss pack. Finally, there’s the strength bonus Enigma offers, which, if in an appropriate armor (dusk shroud anyone?), can easily take care of all your stat point worries. Marrowwalks, the boots of choice for any necro, require 110 strength to wear, and Enigma can get you there without breaking a sweat. +2 skills and the other mods are just icing on the proverbial cake.

Belt:
    Here we have some leeway. One of the top choices, as always, will have to be the ever popular Arachnid’s Mesh, the only belt in the game that offers a plus to skills. Another top choice which might surprise some is Siggard’s Stealth/Nosferatu’s Coil, the handy belt which ups IAS, gives life leech, a bonus of 15 points to strength, and slows the target of your attacks. I like this one best, personally; especially since you can hit 13 fps with a total of +50% IAS (20 from gloves, 20 from Highlords, 10 from Nos’s Coil). Other options include Goldwrap (IAS again), Trang Oul’s Girth, T-Gods (for the lightning absorb and stat boosts), Verdungoes (if you go toe-to-toe a lot!), String of Ears . . . the list goes on. Use what you have here – it’s one of the few places this build won’t demand a certain item to the exclusion of all others.

Amulet and Rings:
    These slots are slightly more open to debate. Due to their sheer skill bonus handiness, I recommend a Bul Katho’s, a Ravensfrost, and a Highlord’s. The BK adds life, life leech, and skills, and the Ravensfrost adds much-needed AR, Dex, and the all-important “Cannot Be Frozen†modifier. Mara’s is also an option, but the IAS from the Highlord’s (in addition to the lightning damage – deadly on a character wielding Infinity!) makes it an excellent choice for a Meleemancer. The effect will be quite nice! Of course, you can always swap stuff out for nice rares with +resist all, +skills – whatever.

Gloves:
    Once again, there are options here. My top choice is Lavagouts, for the IAS and the chance to cast lv. 10 Enchant (upping your character’s AR and damage nicely – especially with how vulnerable to elemental damage your enemies will be). Of course, there are many other viable options – if you don’t mind a slower swing and want to cast more Poison Novas, you can always go with Trang Oul’s Claws (good in combo with the belt!).

2. JanusJones

SKILLS: Here we go!

Poison and Bone:

Teeth: 1 point – prerequisite.
    Corpse Explosion: The one point wonder! Only a single point and you can start corpse explosion chains which decimate packs of monsters – especially since part of the damage is fire damage, which will be amped by curses and Conviction!

Bone Armor: 1 point. This should never be raised – if you do decide to go with a heavier bone armor than the one provided by Marrowwalk’s charge bug, you should invest in Bone Wall, which adds 15 damage soak to the Armor per level (as compared to Bone Armor’s 10).

Bone Wall: 0 +. Check the previous skill’s description for an explanation.

Bone Spear, Bone Spirit: 0. But why, I hear you asking. Isn’t the magic damage from these indispensible,especially since almost nothing in the game (barring that [email protected] Achmel!) is immune to it? Well, on a boney necro yes. However this is a Meleemancer variant, so no go. Moreover, Conviction won’t synergize this. Now, if you decide to go for a Boneflame/Boneshade combo on switch, you *might* consider putting a single point in each for dealing with the occasional obnoxious ranged baddy. But I don’t suggest it.

Corpse Explosion: 1 pt. The best single point skill IN THE GAME. With a one point investment your Nightmare will eat his enemies for breakfast. Kill one nasty and blow his corpse up – suddenly there will be a heap of bodies in front of you and you’ll be laughing like a madman. The best thing about this skill for the Nightmare is that half the damage done from the explosion is FIRE damage – which will be nicely ramped up by both Lower Resist and Conviction for some serious damage!

Poison Dagger: 1 +. Wait, some of you are saying. Aren’t we using a Polearm? Yes, but those in the know will tell you that if you put Poison Dagger on left-click as an active skill while wielding another weapon, even though you don’t get the poison damage you DO get the bonus to AR. Thus, one point can be handy, and more if you want an even higher AR. Keep in mind, however, that the Conviction aura from Infinity will help out your chances of hitting the baddies very nicely.

Poison Nova: 1+. This one is really a skill of choice. I personally believe you can do without, despite any points in Poison Dagger which might synergize it. Why, you ask? Because without maxed synergies and poison resistance-lowering gear, Poison Nova simply doesn’t do enough damage. Now if the duration went up with higher levels it might be worth it; this would be a handy way of keeping monsters from healing. But as it is I can’t recommend it for a Reaper – if you’re looking for a Poisonmancer Nightmare variant, look later on for the description of the “Black Breath†variant.

Curses:

1 point each in every prerequisite for Lower Resist. Many of these curses can be used effectively, but don’t require anything more than a single point to be useful. Amplify Damage will actually NOT be that handy for this build – Infinity won’t do good physical damage and Immunes will be broken by the Conviction + Lower Resist combo. Life Tap can be a lifesaver for leeching back some life when your red globe is low, and Decrepify is always nice for hobbling enemies who are giving chase.

Lower Resist: 1+. This skill is one of this build’s main strong points, and what’s even better, it only takes a couple of points to work! Shoot for at least level 5 or six, and if you feel you need greater coverage or slightly more of a resist killer pump it to 9 or 10. I’ll describe it’s use in more detail in the strategy section.

Summoning:

Skeleton Mastery: 20 points. This will make your skeletal followers and revived monsters MUCH tougher, which is a good thing!

Raise Skeleton: 1+. Not too many here! I know, you’re thinking I’m crazy – Skeletons are the best summon the necro gets! However it pays to remember your Nightmare is going to be surrounded by a stormy green vortex – not a Fanaticism or Might aura. In other words, Mages baby, Mages!

Raise Skeletal Mage: 20. One of the central skills for this build. Once critters have their resists lowered, an army of fire, ice, and lightning hurling Mages is a VERY good thing! Poison skellies, however, should be watched out for – it’s been pointed out before, but they do lousy damage. Don’t get obsessed with making sure you summon only others, though; if you have a few too many, however, feel free to unsummon them and get yourself a different buddy.

Revives: 1+. This skill can be maxed without any real worries. Some folks don’t like revives due to their time-dependent lifespan; however, this is MORE than made up for, in my humble opinion, by their ridiculous POWER! The great thing here is you can go find some of the nastier elemental damage monsters in the game (Gloams, anyone?) and resurrect them as menacing killing machines! Coupled with Lower Resist and Conviction, the council in Travincal, Fallen Shamans, Skeleton Archers – almost anything becomes a deadly assasin under your direct command. Groovy, eh?

Summon Resist: 1+. This works fine boosted by +skills equipment, but if your summoned allies seem to be getting aced quickly by elemental damage you may want to drop a few more points here.

Golem Mastery: 1+. Likewise this is generally a one-point wonder, but if your favorite Golem pal is croaking a bunch, slap a couple of points here.

Iron Golem: 1 pt. Only as a prereq. This golem can be nice if made from an expensive item though – say a Famine runeword item or something like that.

Blood Golem: 1 pt. Prerequisite – this one has lost the coolness it once had.

Golems:
    There are different possibilities for enterprising Necros here. The Clay Golem is great for slowing bosses down. The Fire Golem does measly fire damage, but his death explosion, coupled with the Lower Resist/Conviction double-whammy can be deadly. Then again, Iron Golems can be crafted from handy items like Baranar’s Star or another good elemental damage item (those throw-away swords you find with 1-346 lightning damage, for instance) and thus prove nasty support melee damage. Heck, if you’re ridiculously rich, you can even build one out of a Dream helm or shield! The only golem who loses out is Blood, which is less useful since the nerf in 1.09.

Final Breakdown:

Curses: One each in the main tree for a total of 7 points.
    Teeth: 1 pt.
    Poison Dagger: 1 pt.
    Corpse Explosion: 1 pt.
    Bone Armor: 1 pt.
    Summon Resist: 1 pt.
    Golem Mastery: 1 pt.
    Clay Golem: 1 pt.
    Iron Golem: 1 pt.
    Blood Golem: 1 pt.
    Skeleton Mastery: 20 pts.
    Raise Skeleton: 1 pt.
    Raise Skeletal Mage: 20 pts.
    Revive: 10 pts.

This gives us a total of 65 points, easily achievable by early levels. All extra points should be sunk into Bone Wall (more melee armor), Poison Dagger (more AR), Revive (more meat shields), Raise Skeleton (same reason as Revive!), or Golem Mastery (if your golem is weak). Your personal choices should reflect whatever seems an issue for you in gameplay; if you’re a great teleporter and have no worries about being hit, you may want more AR from Poison Dagger. If you’re having trouble getting mobbed, more skellies or Revives might help. If you like being as tough as possible, you could max Bone Wall to make yourself rough and tumble in melee.

Mercenary:

I used to try to play all my characters without them. While this does make you feel like a [email protected], it also takes away a LOT of power. Since power seems the main focus of Lord of Destruction, I highly suggest you get one of these guys. But now the next big question – which one? You have a couple of options here:

Act 2:
    Here you’re going to want to go with a Holy Freeze mercenary for the aura, which will both slow things down and lay even more elemntal damage onto packs. As for equip, there are a number of great choices: Obediance, Destruction, Crescent Moon, Pride (for the extra physical damage from the aura), Rift, or Doom (this one you can take if you want a Might merc instead). As for Helms, Dream is always a nice addition! Body armor is also open for choices – the best would probably be Fortitude for the damage, but if your REALLY want more elemental damage you can go for Dragon (though it means your merc will have lousy resists).

Act 3:
    No one seems to use these guys anymore. However, they DO deal elemental damage, and if you get a cold-based one they can freeze your enemies for you. Also, you can do something you can’t with the other merc options: put on 4 aura casting pieces of gear! Throw on a Dream helm and shield, a Dragon sword and Body Armor and you’ve got a pretty nice aura-killer (coupled, of course, with your Lower Resist and Conviction).

Act 1:
    Ah, the Rogues – a throwback to the first game. Ice bow (for the Holy Freeze aura), Chains of Honor, and a Crown of Ages and they’ll get the “lightning hose†attack from the +3 to skills and a nice slowing elemental aura. Choice!

Act 4:
    Barbs are basically (in my humble opinion) Golems in disguise. Sure they can hit a little harder and last a little longer than Act 2 mercs, but without the auras they just can’t compare. If you absolutely love the lunks, though, be my guest – Dream helm, Fortitude, and Destruction in a sword, methinks.

STRATEGY:
    Simplicity itself! The first thing you’ll want to do is head out of town to kill some monsters to ressurect – easily done with a nice casting of Lower Resist and your merc to help out. Build yourself an army of mages – if one of them happens to show up as a Poisoner, dismiss him and have him replaced by another summon. Once your army is sufficiently large, start summoning Revives. The momentum should keep carrying you forward.

NIGHTMARE: SILENT STING OF DEATH

This is another version of the Nightmare, and a relatively straightforward one. Instead of equipping the Infinity polearm on the Necromancer himself, you put it on an Act 2 mercenary (preferably the Holy Freeze variety). The Necromancer himself is a Poison Dagger melee variant, wielding Blackbog’s Sharp and – you guessed it – another Dream for a shield. He’ll be more effective than the Reaper, but he won’t look as cool. Without further ado, here we go!

Weapon: Venom, Blackbog’s Sharp
    This depends on your play style. There are two main options here, each of which will allow for a very different skill point allocation. Venom, a 1.09 runeword, comes with charges of both Poison Explosion and Poison Nova. This means that without having to max either skill you can gain a very nice synergy bonus to Poison Dagger itself. Plug it into a Fanged Knife – or even the exceptional version of it (to make it easier to wield) – and you’ve got a great Poison Dagger attack with very little skill point investment! This allows you to invest more in Skeletal Mages, making you a nasty crowd killer.
    The other option is Blackbog’s Sharp – upped, of course. This will require you to max both Poison Explosion and Poison Nova, however, in order to get enough of a synergy bonus to make Poison Dagger really shine. This will, however, cost a bunch of skill points – 40 to be exact.

See the previous build’s description for reasons why.

Ditto here.

Gloves: Trang Oul’s
    These will pump your Poison Dagger damage through the roof! Good stuff!

Belt: Arachnid’s Mesh or Trang Oul’s.
    Trang Oul’s will offer you a big bonus in the form of a Fireball attack – a nice advantage. Arachnid’s Mesh has +skills. Another possible is, like for the Reaper, a Nosferatu’s Coil – both for the slow enemy effect and the IAS.

Shield: Dream
    Here’s where things get even more fun. Dream can be built into a Necro shield! Get ahold of a sexy +3 to Poison Dagger and Lower Resist shield and go nuts! You’ll have a lvl 30 Holy Shock to mow your enemies down – great crowd control.

Rings & Ammy:
    These should be the same as the Vision of the Reaper’s, since this is a melee-fighting build.

SKILLS:

Poison Dagger: 20 pts. This is the central skill of this build – blow the bank on it.

Poison Explosion & Poison Nova: 0~20 pts. This depends on whether you choose to use Venom or Blackbog’s – see the equipment section for details.

Bone Armor: 1 pt. Check out the Reaper section for whys.

Bone Wall: 0+ pts. Check out the Reaper section for whys.

Skeleton Mastery: 1+ pts.

Skeletal Mage: 1~20 pts. If you’ve decided on Venom, you’ll have enough to max this – which will be handy when your Merc’s Conviction and your Lower Resist go into effect.

Revive: 1~20 pts. This is another which can really have an effect when you resurrect a ton of nasty elemental damage monsters – Ghoul Lords, Death Beetles, Gloams . . . the list goes on and on.

Summon Resist: 1+ pts. Check out the Reaper section for whys.

Golem Mastery: 1+ pts. Check out the Reaper section for whys.

Clay Golem: 1+ pts. Check out the Reaper section for whys.

Fire Golem: 1 pt. Check out the Reaper section for whys.

Iron Golem: 1+ pts. Check out the Reaper section for whys.

Raise Skeleton: 1+ pts. Check out the Reaper section for whys.

Curses: 1 pt each in all the curses in the main tree. Check out the Reaper section for whys.

MERCENARY:
    Simple here – only one choice will do. An Act 2 merc with Infinity in an ethereal polearm – a Giant Thresher being the best choice. Now, it’s up to you whether to go with a Holy Freeze merc – great for slowing down nasty melee enemies and making them easier to hit – or a Might merc to pump your Revives and Skeletons.

NIGHTMARE: BLACK BREATH OF ANUBIS
    A third version – this one’s a straight up Poison Nova Necromancer. It looks like a normal Poisonmancer, but with a few quick changes – namely a Dream shield instead of the standard choice of Trang Oul’s for the “minus to enemy poison resists†modifier.

Gloves: Trang Oul’s

Belt: Arachnid’s Mesh or Trang Oul’s.

Shield: Dream
    This time in a Necro shield with +3 to Poison Nova and Lower Resists.

Rings & Ammy:
    Also, if you don’t have “cannot be frozen†on another piece of equipment (for instance, Trang Oul’s Girth), you might consider a Ravenfrost; however, since teleport and spell casting in general are not affected by being frozen, it’s less of an issue than with most characters.

SKILLS:

Poison Dagger, Poison Explosion, & Poison Nova: 20 pts. The reason’s simple – you need all of ‘em maxed to make your Nova as nasty as can be.

The rest of the skills are up to you – check the earlier sections for a discussion of the plusses and minuses of each.

MERC & STRATEGY:
    I’m going to make this quick, since I’m running out of steam. The merc’s gotta be an Act 2 with Infinity. As for strategy, it doesn’t take much – cast Lower Resist, nuke the monsters with a nice nova, then watch the next Holy Shock pulse kill them off. Enjoy!

3. Dad Daniel

Dad Daniel IncGamers Member

DREAMing for nothing

I would say - a big imagination, but nothing as a outcome!
    So many good runes for nothing! In all those 3 builds, the necro will join to the army of the dead before to make his first step in Hell (if he is hardcore), or will die in evry two minutes in sc.

Besides there are not 3 socetable necro heads - that means no DREAM runeword is possible in them. So dual DREAM combo using necro head is NOT POSSIBLE!

And i prefer to cut my left leg, than to equip a Rouge merc of such crappy build with a COH, ICE BOW and so on --- blaaaaah!!

Total score of the builds:
    -10 / 10

4. kellsa

kellsa IncGamers Member

that was the biggest thread i've ever seen!

5. sequoia

sequoia IncGamers Member

cool build, and really creative

however, i dont think the damage will be very good, even with all the -res% you have on.

sure is cool though, i'd try it if i werent so poor

6. JanusJones

Wow . . .

Thanks a ton for all the constructive comments . . .

Anyhoo, good to know about the Dream shield - I thought I had seen 3 socketed heads, but I guess I was wrong.

Only the second two builds require it, anyhow.

The point, of course, was to make a character who was both different and had style. A scythe-wielding, bone helmeted melee necromancer. Also, I think with all the -rez, an entire pack of mages, and some Revives it'll be more than a reasonable build.

Manners, friend - play nice! If you don't like it, there's no need to be unpleasant about it.

7. Bigrob

Bigrob Banned

sry, but ur "dream" does not come true. (no offense)

8. #endgame

#endgame IncGamers Member

PDagger bug is a display glitch. Someone did some pretty thorough testing of it.

9. dkay

dkay IncGamers Member

creative build, what damage output are we looking at?

10. Tom123

Tom123 IncGamers Member

I like it, shame the items are so expensive - one of those builds to "dream" about.......:p

Anyway, I'm impressed by the imagination - the naming is cool. I would be interested in an idea of damage output too.

I would like a screenie if you have it, I wanna see this grim reaper!

11. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Pdagger Bug - Test Results

If you plan on hitting things with your scythe try using Angelic combo.

12. JanusJones

If you plan on hitting things with your scythe try using Angelic combo.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for all the info guys!

Hmmm . . . no PDagger bug - sigh. The Angelic combo is one option, but I'm curious to see whether or not Conviction and a reasonable Dex won't cover the problem.

13. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

The AR from Dex is not a mainstay way of getting good AR. With 200 Dex you'll have a base AR of 955. If you couple this with Conviction it can be enough depending on the monster.

14. rickcarson

rickcarson IncGamers Member

Thanks for all the info guys!

Hmmm . . . no PDagger bug - sigh. The Angelic combo is one option, but I'm curious to see whether or not Conviction and a reasonable Dex won't cover the problem.[/QUOTE]

A lot of people have chimed in with things that were 'wrong'. Most of them had obviously never played a LoM. Some were technical details you'd overlooked (eg Lightning Hose does not work in 1.10).

I was surprised not to see any whining about Revives. Maybe its starting to sink in that they are decent in themselves. Or even that they also make a very good combo with Mages.

Even if you're going for broke with elemental attacks it helps to have a few melee Revives to back up the golem. If you choose an Act 2 Merc you need a lot more melee Revives (say... at least half a dozen) otherwise your Merc will die too often. Thats a big plus for Rogues and (my Favourite) Ice Iron Wolves over the Desert Rats.

But... if I was to join the ranks of people speculating about problems I'd say that actually... the biggest potential problem is whether your movement as a meleemancer will stuff up the Mages. I tend to play LoM as a slow and steady advance. Rushing into combat isn't a good movement pattern for Mages.

15. JanusJones

I personally love Revives. I have a level 86 Poisonmancer who has only 1 point in Revive and they make up the bulk of his army. They quickly slaughter nearly everything I run across and keep all attention off of me. Especially with a Might merc, those critters can't be beaten!

Ahhhh - but you forget the Nigma. Normally I'd agree, but I've found Teleport plus a big crowd of summons makes for near invulnerability when charging into combat. Usually I port next to the edge of a crowd, where I can hit one or two monsters. My minions sometimes hang around for a bit, which is fine - more armor for me. When I move they usually disperse slightly, fanning out into an attack pattern - the mages move back and the bruisers move up. It seems to work pretty well, in fact!

Thanks for some positive input! :thumbsup:

16. nickedoff

nickedoff IncGamers Member

You could equip a one handed Oath weapon and max out your bone synergies, AND use a dream shield =)

17. Noumenon

Noumenon IncGamers Member

Well to keep the cool Reaper image.

Use Infinity. Max the poison skills, use lower resist...and nova away! Don't forget the Corpse explosion (Since it does part fire) and the biggest mage army you can manage to get (Don't forget the point in Revive!)

Delirium in a bone (Elite version, forgot name) helm would help keep the cool image and give you +2 all skills.

Trang gloves, obviously. Enigma would be a good idea. Maybe Trang belt for the lesser effective but definately cool +18 to fireball (Who know how the damage will pan out with all that -resist)

Since the build isn't really melee, SoJs would be fitting. And some kind of +skills amulet (Maras maybe, since the resist is lacking)

I'd love making one of these. But I don't play ladder, and if I were to start it'd take years (For me) to get the runes.

Bleh

18. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

Problem with your infinity idea here is that it doesn't lower poison resist, so it's only helpful as a bonus to your mages.

19. JanusJones

That's always bothered me too. I've figured you could do really well with a double-Dream Nightmare with an Inifinity merc, however. To heck with P-Nova and P-Dagger, though - then it's just a variant build. Instead, max them mages and revives, throw in a golem and watch your pets tear the opposition apart. It's easy as pie to get that first corpse, too - the pulse damage with Lower Resist and Infinity is just plain ol' silly, and if you throw ANOTHER Dream on the merc he'll tear things apart.

But I do wish the scythe/bone visage thing were more viable - it's such a sexy look! :lol:

20. nickedoff

nickedoff IncGamers Member

Mmkay, making my PvM nightmare, no infinity merc - but I do have dual dreams; and four weapon choices:

Passionfor zeal
    Silencefor skills 'n res 'n stuff.
    Robophase I dunno which I like more...this or the passion :\
    Suicide Stickfor screwing around in PVP.
    'Famine' leg malletBecause lower res works on all elemental damage
    'Crescent Moon' serkerLower res, open wounds, static and chain lightning.