The New Seven Wonders of the World

LonghornRob

Diabloii.Net Member
The New Seven Wonders of the World

This is a great idea. It's about time the Colosseum, Easter Island and others officially became "Wonders of the World". Which seven would YOU choose? Personally I'm going for: The Great Wall of China, The Colosseum, The Pyramids of Giza, the Pyramid at Chichén Itzá, Stonehenge, Easter Island and Acropolis.

rare

Diabloii.Net Member
Hah, the statue of liberty.

after all those political threads i find it funny for some reason =)

The ones Id pick would be for sure Acropolis, Chris Redeemer, the Colosseum, Stonehenge, Taj Mahal, Chichén Itzá and the Great Wall.

MinasMorgul

Diabloii.Net Member
-Kremlin/St. Basil
-The Great Wall of China
-Acropolis
-The Colosseum
-Easter Island statues
-Pyramids of Giza
-Stonehenge

DurfBarian

Diabloii.Net Member
We're talking manmade thingies, right? In no particular order:
* Great Wall of China
* Angkor complex
* Machu Picchu
* Egypt's pyramids (not sure which would be best)
* Imam Mosque of Isfahan (there might be others more worth including)
* Manhattan (the whole dang overbuilt island)
* ???

That last one is tough to fill in. Stuff in Rome or Athens would be worth including; Stonehenge and the moai on Easter Island are sort of mysterious relics that we don't understand, rather than wondrous sights, but I can understand putting them in as well. The Taj Mahal? The Buddhas of Bamiyan, before the Taleban destroyed them?

Don't fix what ain't broken. Leave the 7 wonders alone
Six of the seven ancient wonders are gone. What in the hell are you using as a definition for "broken"? :wink2:

Stoutwood

Diabloii.Net Member
Would I have to pick from that crap they put up there? The Statue of Liberty and Sydney Opera House? Come on now.

DurfBarian

Diabloii.Net Member
Ancient wonders. So what if they're gone now, they once existed. The list is fine as it stands.
So in other words, the ANCIENT wonders are fine as they stand . . . and you don't have a problem with defining NEW wonders, like the title of this thread makes clear?
:flip:

nosignal: Ooh, Nazca could be cool too.

LorveN

D3 Off Topic Moderator
Why don't you pick the Eiffel tower? It sure was pretty mean when they built it!
I also want a special nomination for this:rolleyes:

DurfBarian

Diabloii.Net Member
I also want a special nomination for this:rolleyes:
I've never heard of that, and it's really cool.

However, some of the planets don't exist yet, and one of them is made of flowers, so it cannot be considered for inclusion in the list. Thanks for playing!

LorveN

D3 Off Topic Moderator
I've never heard of that, and it's really cool.

However, some of the planets don't exist yet, and one of them is made of flowers, so it cannot be considered for inclusion in the list. Thanks for playing!
First I was going to nominate the Globe Arena, but then I found a link at wikipedia to the other thing as well, so why not.
Yes, I live in Stockholm/Sweden, but I never heard of it before. :azn:

Did I win something?

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Don't forget Leonardo's Workshop, it auto-upgrades all your units. The only down side is that it turns your early navy into galleons which have attack strength 0...

The Colossus of Rhodes is still the only Wonder for me. He totally kicks the Statue of Liberty's French arse. Or at least he would if he was more than just a pair of feet.

P.S. There are heaps of different sets of "Wonders", just look it up. There's just only one with any lineage or dignity.

P.P.S. Heh, I didn't realize until I checked wiki, but four of the seven wonders were destroyed by earthquake... I always imagine them all being razed or sacked.

Would I have to pick from that crap they put up there? The Statue of Liberty and Sydney Opera House? Come on now.
Exactly what I thought. How about the Big Banana while we're at it?

LonghornRob

Diabloii.Net Member
I wouldn't consider the Statue of Liberty or the Sydney Opera House to be "wonders" at all, and even the Christ Redeemer and Eiffel Tower are pushing it a bit. I'd think the older and more mysterious structures are wonderous, and especially the ones that are magnificent feats of engineering, like the pyramids (both of them) and Stonehenge.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
They also should have to be impressive-looking, I mean the Panama Canal is an amazing feat of engineering but it isn't much to look at.

LonghornRob

Diabloii.Net Member
You also have to keep in mind that these finalists were voted on before becoming finalists, so there is some favoritism at work here. And I'm willing to bet most Americans will vote in the Statue, and most of France will vote in the Eiffel Tower, etc.

Savage

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm very unimpressed by that site.

In short - vote for Angkor,
because it is a great symbol of
- Beauty & Sanctity!
Err, no.

When considering calling something a wonder you only need to ask yourself "is this worthy of being compared with The Great Wall and the Pyramids?"

All of the modern architecture like the Opera House, the Eiffel Tower, the Statue of Liberty, Neuschwanstein, etc. is impressive but IMO nothing built in the last 500 years can possibly cut it as a "wonder of the world".