The Necromancer Forum Needs Some More Guides!

gorf

Diabloii.Net Member
The Necromancer Forum Needs Some More Guides!

Hi all,

Having been around a couple of years, I'm starting to think that it's time that permanent stock answers to the frequently asked questions would be very helpful around here. The guides are great, but if the same questions keep coming up again and again, people must not be getting what they need.

90% of those I would say deal with summoners and what to do once skele/mastery have been maxed.

What say the other forum members? It would fall to us to have a meaningful discussion about the various FAQs, then when possible have linked guides for the variants being discussed.

Questions to be addressed include:

- Are Mages Worth It?
- I'm a lvl 65 summoner, and I've maxed skele/mastery/CE, what next?
- Do summon/boners work without Marrowalk bug?
- What should my merc use, Infinity or Pride?

Other suggestions?

Who else would be willing to contribute? I would be happy to convene such a project, but I'm in no way qualified to do it all myself, as I've never maxed mages, haven't yet playtested Pride vs. Infinity, etc.

What say you?

Gorf

Zarniwoop

Diabloii.Net Member
I'll donate the mini-guide I recently wrote in response to Mio in another thread. If it's not up to snuff, no sweat. Or, I'd be happy to revise it. But, I agree that it would be a good idea.

Edit - my guide is solely for the MF necro. The well-built uber necro is another beast all together in certain respects. I could flesh mine out to include pride and infinity after I set my current build's last few skillpoints if it's deemed worth bothering.

I also could add a section on how to PLAY the thing. It seems a lot of people just let em run all over and have trouble with kill speed. Might be useful for someone to do. Let me know.

DaemonAkuma

Diabloii.Net Member
I'd be more than happy to give a Pure Summoner guide. I'd also be delighted to include not only my own build, but several alterations I know about (the little twerks you know). I have to concede that I never have personally tested Pride vx Infinity past the point of simple calculations and logical sense making in my own littlehead, so someone else might want to take that one up. I could only provide an argument and explanation as to why I chose Infinity. I've already gave out my advice to dozens of people who play in a game with me and then want to know how I made my Summoner. Of course I would provide ample explanation for my decisions in sps, stat points, and equipment options as well as how to effectively play it and use it.

Let me know if everyone is okay with this and I'll start work on it at...well... at work :smiley:

bogie

Diabloii.Net Member
Nice idea Gorf :jig: !

Too many threads come up with Mages, worth it or not these days, if we just wrote up a little miniguide/had ONE finaly discussion, im sure we could resolve it and put those questions to rest..... as for the summoner/bone hybrid... I feel that calling to me. Ive been working on a summoner/bone hybrid over the last few weeks and ive finally think I have it.

Daemon: Are you thinking of a PUUURE Summoner or a summoner with curses Ce etc? I think this forum actually needs a Pure summoner for once.

Bogie,

KavikKang

Diabloii.Net Member
Nice idea Gorf :jig: !

Too many threads come up with Mages, worth it or not these days, if we just wrote up a little miniguide/had ONE finaly discussion, im sure we could resolve it and put those questions to rest..... as for the summoner/bone hybrid... I feel that calling to me. Ive been working on a summoner/bone hybrid over the last few weeks and ive finally think I have it.

Daemon: Are you thinking of a PUUURE Summoner or a summoner with curses Ce etc? I think this forum actually needs a Pure summoner for once.

Bogie,
For Summoner/Bone Hybrid that works just see my "Pure Summoner" thread, he is mostly summoner with a bone spear that actually makes a difference. As for "Pure" Summoner, a "Pure" Summoner would have curses. "Pure" Summoner does not mean that only Summon Tree skills are used, at least not too me, too me it means that he is focused on the Summoning tree and that all of his abilities are to enhance or help his Summons in some way. This is why I called my Summon/Curse/Bone/MF Necromancer a "Pure Summoner". Although he uses skills from all three trees, all of his abilities are solely focused on enhancing his Summoned army in some way.

DaemonAkuma

Diabloii.Net Member
I have never heard of a Pure Summoner being referred to as just that; I mean, does ANY build use only one tree? Do people make bonecursemancers? Lol. No my Pure Summoner uses CE and (optionally) Bone Armor (if one chooses to not boost dex and use armor as a substitude for the occasional sneaky arrow or whatnot). I wrote a guide alread (very bored at a family function) so all I need is for people to say they'd accept it.

Mad Mantis

D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator
The guides are great, but if the same questions keep coming up again and again, people must not be getting what they need.
The fastest way to make sure that something doesn't get read is to make it a sticky. We literally have no less than 12 different threads for any one subject. The info is out there and it always has been in the guides. People are just too lazy/stupid to read it. It has always been this way. Even when the Fishy guide was just stickied, every day I would wade through at least 20 threads on how to make a Skelliemancer. I still haven't found a way to force people to read and use the search function.

I'm not saying I dislike the idea of more guides. Hell, almost all of them could do with at least a new gear section. This game is still being changed and views on skills and gear change every few weeks. I'd welcome more input from some of you who have been hanging around a while, just don’t think it’ll change a lot.

HarbingersOfSkulls

Diabloii.Net Member
The fastest way to make sure that something doesn't get read is to make it a sticky. We literally have no less than 12 different threads for any one subject. The info is out there and it always has been in the guides. People are just too lazy/stupid to read it. It has always been this way. Even when the Fishy guide was just stickied, every day I would wade through at least 20 threads on how to make a Skelliemancer. I still haven't found a way to force people to read and use the search function.

I'm not saying I dislike the idea of more guides. Hell, almost all of them could do with at least a new gear section. This game is still being changed and views on skills and gear change every few weeks. I'd welcome more input from some of you who have been hanging around a while, just don’t think it’ll change a lot.

You need to have a neon sign with arrows points to it in order to get their attention...until that happens your still going to have the same thing happen that's been happening since the forums was started: people who are too lazy to read for themselves that must make their first few posts stupid questions that could be answered easy enough by actually reading it for themselves.

Besides MM...you wouldn't have your post count the way it is if it wasn't for those old beer greetings...and answering the stupid questions over and over and over again now would ya?

HoS

bogie

Diabloii.Net Member
Kavikang, yes... I could abide by your guide, its just that Ive already read/commented on it and I disagree with most/all of your equipment choices and even with your point spread, your choice to go with Spear for example, even though spear doesnt pass spirit in damage unless your a bonemancer with quite a few +skills.

Mantis, I know what you mean, I think theres been at least 3-4 threads about infinity vs pride this week alone, not to mention the 10s of hundreds of help my summoner threads hanging around :tongue: .

gorf

Diabloii.Net Member
Perhaps we could just make all other links on the page dead until the used has read the guides?

BTW, I'm done work after today, back to vacation, so my intent is to make a post to seriously get this thing going next week.

Gorf

bogie

Diabloii.Net Member
I might make a post to finally finalize the pride vs infinity debate, people need to get over their pride (hehe I made a pun :laugh: ) and face the cold hard facts.

Thrandir

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm new here, but I think I have an idea. The reason I sometimes don't look through the guides for something is because I have no idea where to look. For example, I want to know what it would take for a bonemancer to beat UberTrist. But that answer is not in the bonemancer guide. Maybe, if we put up one great big uber FAQ thread that links to the various guides, people would be more able to navigate to the info they want? You could arrange it into:

Skill strategy FAQ (ie. Are mages worth it? How many points in CE?)

Skill effects FAQ (aren't teeth supposed to pierce? Does LR work for poison?)

Merc FAQ (Infinity or Pride?)

Gear strategy FAQ (Wizspike for 125 FCR, or Hoto for Skills?)

Gear bug FAQ (What's up with the Hoto ravens, anyways? What's the Marrowalk bug?)

Resources (Breakpoints, calculators, formulae)

Miscellanious FAQ (coudn't think of any, I'm sure they exist)

And maybe have the categories arranged alphabetically, or something like that. Does anyone think that would help?

DaemonAkuma

Diabloii.Net Member
I can explain the mystery of the non-search epidemic in one word: Laziness.

It is simply easier to make a quick thread with your question and then wait for a reply. How to break this? Simply make ever reply to repeat threads the way many of done so now: tell them go here (although I wouldn't even go through the effort of pasting a hyperlink).

it is true that it is hard to pick-put some info. I am guilty of posting questions about subjects in the FAQs, but only after i searched for them to no avail. I would also try to ask it in another Q thread just for the sake of not clogging the threads with my nonsensical ignorance.

That's my two cents. I do have a Pure Summoner guide written already. It includes:

Skill Choices (20 skellies, mage, skel mastery, etc)
Skill Alternatives (How many pts CE, Bone Armor or not?)
Stat Points (no energy, just enough str for Enigma, rest vitality)
Stat Alternatives (Dexterity for 75 block)
Equipment (both weapon switch for +summon boosts then for reg play)
Best MF Gear
PvP Gear
PvP Strategy
And more I believe?

I also provide ample explanation for all of my choices on each of the above headers. If anyone would like to see it i can post it in a thread first and then it can simply be moved or whatnot at a later date. Or not. *shrugs*

bogie

Diabloii.Net Member
We just need to ignore all of those requests, Ill post the hyperlinks, if only for the hope that they will one day learn to search.......*cries at the futility and runs off to druid forum*

KavikKang

Diabloii.Net Member
Kavikang, yes... I could abide by your guide, its just that Ive already read/commented on it and I disagree with most/all of your equipment choices and even with your point spread, your choice to go with Spear for example, even though spear doesnt pass spirit in damage unless your a bonemancer with quite a few +skills.
The gear choices are essentially forced upon you if you want to have 333+ MF, it is an MF nec. The abilities he has, such as Bone Spear, the result of a few years of actually using a summon nec for MF (back when pretty much everyone would ask all confused "You use a summon nec for MF" because it was essentially unheard of). That Bone Spear is vital to how that specific MF build operates... and is far more powerful than the "300 points" you kept insisting it is maxed out at. His bone spear is about 750-800 points and is used for about half-a-dozen very different things.

I never said it was the most powerful build possible. I said he was increadibly versitile, could go anywhere, and do anything. And that is all true. It is a very, very useful guy to have around:)

garion

Diabloii.Net Member
i think sometimes it that catch 22 issues of...not know what you don't know...

in anycase a revision to the exisiting guides wouldn't hurt....and a few additions...but really i think revisions should be able to take care of most things...

and redoing the sticky so that it looks more like this:

The Mouldy Tome: Necromancer Guides, Tips and Tests

lol...can't hurt to try...