The Mythos Masterchest/Masterkey system: Good for DIII? if

Yersinia Pestis

Diabloii.Net Member
The Mythos Masterchest/Masterkey system: Good for DIII?

I read a test about the Mythos beta today and was really positively surprised by one of the introduced features, the Masterchest/Masterkey system.

In the Mythos dungeons, the best loot doesn't come frome the corpse of the final boss monster, but from a Masterchest (I guess, you will have to go through the boss to get to the chest). In order to open the Masterchest, you need its Masterkey.
Now this Masterkey is somewhere in a chest in the dungeon (as in DIII, the dungeons are also randomly generated).

I think this is a really nice systems. It provides you with a radom part that makes you clear the whole dungeon and not just rush to the boss (getting the Masterkey) but still gives you that certain moment with a big loot drop (opening the Masterchest).

Let me explain that last point a little better.
One of the cool things of doing boss runs in DII was that you exactly knew when to expect the best loot. You could concentrate you anticipation on the moment you slain the boss and his loot drops on the floor.
I personally love this moment much more than just slaughtering through endless hordes of enemies and hoping for good loot (don't get me wrong, I love slaughterin through enemies, otherwise I wouldn't love Diablo, but when it comes to the item hunt, I really love the moment I described above). Ofcourse in Diablo II this had the downside that you could just skip the whole dungeon and just kill the boss.

I really think the Masterchest/Masterkey system is a pretty elegant solution and i could imagine seeing a similar system in DIII.

What do you think about this system? Would you like to see something like it in DIII?

Razor Spine

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: The Mythos Masterchest/Masterkey system: Good for DIII?

Something similar to the half key drops in RuneScape for the Dstone chest in Taverley?

Borderlands also has a system where a random boss or chest has the best items, and the hardest boss can only drop items up to level 61 instead of the game's cap of 69. That's applicable only if you have all the DLCs of course.

The devs did mention that the Baal-runs of D2X fame will become a thing of the past, so I guess we can be quite confident of seeing a solution in the offing. :)

Ashley Riot

Diabloii.Net Member

sounds good, i dont see why d3 cant implement such a system. it alleviates the tedium and really reinstates the "dungeon crawler" aspect of d3. except, this would probly hurt people who like farming, making them go kill all those monsters and slowing down the process. still.. i like it :)

Razor Spine

Diabloii.Net Member

Then make it like Dungeon Siege 2, where even a weak mob could drop something very nice that you would have liked.

If all enemies have a chance to drop everything based on level, then it makes farming that much more fun and unpredictable, which was one of the things I liked best about DS2, that and the fact that it didn't take 3000000000x runs to find everything you liked.

Yersinia Pestis

Diabloii.Net Member

Then make it like Dungeon Siege 2, where even a weak mob could drop something very nice that you would have liked.

If all enemies have a chance to drop everything based on level, then it makes farming that much more fun and unpredictable, which was one of the things I liked best about DS2, that and the fact that it didn't take 3000000000x runs to find everything you liked.
Well, isn't that how it is in DII? I mean, ofc Baal and co had a much better chance to drop good stuff than the normal mobs, but I am pretty sure there where areas where all the monster could theoretically drop everything.

I really hope this is also how it will be in DIII, nothing like only this boss, or that boss can only drop that item, that's lame.
But I have nothing against, this or that boss having a better chance at dropping certain items.

But what I meant in my OP was, that in the Mythos system, killing the boss is not enough to get the loot :)

TheMythe

Diablo: IncGamers Member

Hmmm, at first it sounds nice...

BUT:

Firstly, those keys must be UNIQUE or else folks will steal/dupe/hoard them like a kid in a candystore.
Secondly, IF key is found ALL players must receive a copy in their inventory!

A)Who's got the key?
BCD) ...
B) C'mon guys we came this far, we did it!
ACD)....
ABC) Gaw, that's it! I'm logging off...
D) ... hehehe idiots, loot is MINE!

Since the key must be unique and shared, it must also be made useless in every other game created. This will prevent the hoarding and duping (if at all possible).

Instead of a rant-only thread, here is another way:

Give the chest a 3 value set of numbers.
1st set is amount of items
2nd set is quality of items
3rd set is a random number

Explanation:
IF chest is opened 3 D100 will roll.
1st set is 1st D100, the closer to 100 the higher the maximum amount of items that chest would give.
2nd set is 2nd D100, the closer to 100 the higher the higher the quality all items are the chest will drop.
3rd set is D100, since this number is completely not attached to anything, the higher this number is, the closer to the general max that the chest will give out you'll get.

E.G.

Chest opens: 100 2 15 <--- a truckload of crappy items
Chest opens: 3 100 45 <--- 1 SoJ
Chest opens: 100 100 100 <--- 1 Grandfather

If you have a D100 lying about, try getting 3x100 in a row. It's possible but very RARE.

Next to that, make several types of chests. A=begin. B=middle. C=throneroom, if any C-type chests at all in area X.

E.G.

A type chest 100 100 100 will still only have a max of SoJ is best or so...
C type chest 100 100 100 is abandon quests and book a trip to Hawaii

Sidenote: I took D2 names for items, to be more understandable to most.
Sidenote²: Instead of chests you can also put mob-leaders, bosses, etc.

Monster

Diabloii.Net Member

I think this would be cool at first, but annoying in the long run.

Yersinia Pestis

Diabloii.Net Member

Hmmm, at first it sounds nice...

BUT:

Firstly, those keys must be UNIQUE or else folks will steal/dupe/hoard them like a kid in a candystore.
Secondly, IF key is found ALL players must receive a copy in their inventory!

A)Who's got the key?
BCD) ...
B) C'mon guys we came this far, we did it!
ACD)....
ABC) Gaw, that's it! I'm logging off...
D) ... hehehe idiots, loot is MINE!

Since the key must be unique and shared, it must also be made useless in every other game created. This will prevent the hoarding and duping (if at all possible).
In Mythos every player gets his own drop, so everybody will get the key.
And I am pretty sure those keys are unique so that they can online be used this one time that you are in that dungeon.

Instead of a rant-only thread, here is another way:

Give the chest a 3 value set of numbers.
1st set is amount of items
2nd set is quality of items
3rd set is a random number

Explanation:
IF chest is opened 3 D100 will roll.
1st set is 1st D100, the closer to 100 the higher the maximum amount of items that chest would give.
2nd set is 2nd D100, the closer to 100 the higher the higher the quality all items are the chest will drop.
3rd set is D100, since this number is completely not attached to anything, the higher this number is, the closer to the general max that the chest will give out you'll get.

E.G.

Chest opens: 100 2 15 <--- a truckload of crappy items
Chest opens: 3 100 45 <--- 1 SoJ
Chest opens: 100 100 100 <--- 1 Grandfather

If you have a D100 lying about, try getting 3x100 in a row. It's possible but very RARE.

Next to that, make several types of chests. A=begin. B=middle. C=throneroom, if any C-type chests at all in area X.

E.G.

A type chest 100 100 100 will still only have a max of SoJ is best or so...
C type chest 100 100 100 is abandon quests and book a trip to Hawaii
To me it looks, using you examples, that these Masterchests maybe function not like 0-100 0-100 0-100 but like 0-100 70-100 70-100.
So you know you have a really good chance that something good dropes (I mean, thats the point of them).

Sidenote²: Instead of chests you can also put mob-leaders, bosses, etc.
I think you miss the point.
It is not important, that it is a chest, it is important that you only get the loot if you already have another item (or whatever) that drops randomly in the dungeon.
Maybe the Masterkey doesn't unlock a Masterchest but one door in the dungeon und behind that door is some sick boss that drops the crazy loot.

I think this would be cool at first, but annoying in the long run.
I think this would really depend on how easy the key can be optained.
Maybe if there are several random location in the dungeon where the key can drop (and most importand, atleast one location per dungeon level), it would still enourage cleaning the dungeon (atleast until you have the key ;) ).
If it turns out that the Masterkey become the nex "1 Monster left" of the Den of Evil ... then it surely will become frustrating soon.

ael

Diabloii.Net Member

With any master loot system comes the ninja problem.

Personally I like the current d3 system.

Monster

Diabloii.Net Member

Oh yeah. The key would have to drop for everone in the party, or you open the door for major grief potential.

"haha I got the key suckerz! Bye!" *log out*

MrFrye

Diabloii.Net Member

This idea is easy enough to implement in SP, but MP introduces some problems that could be addressed like this:

In one of the chests in the dungeon, is the key. When the chest is opened, everyone in the party gets a BoP copy. It works kind of like a quest item, you can't drop it, lose it, copy it, or dupe it. If you leave the dungeon, the key disappears. If you leave the game, the key disappears. If you find and open the masterchest, everyone who's still in the game and still has a key, gets a share of the masterloot.

The important point is that the key isn't an actual object that takes up room in your inventory. It's more of a symbolic key, and it's only purpose is to make sure that you find the random chest it's in before you can open the masterchest.

Turnip

Diabloii.Net Member

I think what diablo players want is to not get their l33t items stolen by others, I say we eliminate items all together in order to eliminate all griefing that goes on between them, its much too competitive as it is.

Ashley Riot

Diabloii.Net Member

I think what diablo players want is to not get their l33t items stolen by others, I say we eliminate items all together in order to eliminate all griefing that goes on between them, its much too competitive as it is.
lol srsly? no loot?

Yersinia Pestis

Diabloii.Net Member

This idea is easy enough to implement in SP, but MP introduces some problems that could be addressed like this:

In one of the chests in the dungeon, is the key. When the chest is opened, everyone in the party gets a BoP copy. It works kind of like a quest item, you can't drop it, lose it, copy it, or dupe it. If you leave the dungeon, the key disappears. If you leave the game, the key disappears. If you find and open the masterchest, everyone who's still in the game and still has a key, gets a share of the masterloot.

The important point is that the key isn't an actual object that takes up room in your inventory. It's more of a symbolic key, and it's only purpose is to make sure that you find the random chest it's in before you can open the masterchest.
Sounds very good to me, especially since inventory space was allways a very limited resource in DII (let's see how it will be in DIII).

I am really not sure, do we get special slots for quest items in DIII (I think i heard it somewhere)?

Because why not just introduce the master-key/chest in some random quests?
You find a worried mother who's daughter ha been captured by demons.
The girl is imprisoned in a cell in a dungeon. So you head into the dungeon search for the key to her cell, free her and collect the loot that is lieing in the cell :)

MrFrye

Diabloii.Net Member

I am really not sure, do we get special slots for quest items in DIII (I think i heard it somewhere)?
Indeed, quest items will not take up space in the inventory; that's what put the idea in my head of treating master-keys the same way.

Because why not just introduce the master-key/chest in some random quests?
You find a worried mother who's daughter ha been captured by demons.
The girl is imprisoned in a cell in a dungeon. So you head into the dungeon search for the key to her cell, free her and collect the loot that is lieing in the cell :)
I'm really starting to like this idea.