The Mystery of College Football

skihard

Banned
The Mystery of College Football

So cruising the sports websites I see that everyone is saying that USC and the Irish are playing to see who goes to the National Title game vs. Ohio State.

This makes me question the sports weenies even more than I usually do. If USC wins yes the odds are very much in favor of USC Playing against Ohio State, but IF Notre Dame wins how the hell could they possibly go to the BCS final over Michigan. Notre Dame lost horribly to Michigan yet ESPN, Fox, CBS are all saying USC or Notre Dame.

Sorry just don’t get it.

bg1256

Diabloii.Net Member
IF Notre Dame wins how the hell could they possibly go to the BCS final over Michigan. Notre Dame lost horribly to Michigan yet ESPN, Fox, CBS are all saying USC or Notre Dame.

Sorry just don’t get it.
Agreed, and I don't think it's simply because I"m a Michigan fan. Michigan won over Notre Dame 47-21, iirc. There's no way they should even be considered over Michigan.

USC, maybe. Notre Dame, no way.

Talga Vasternich

Diabloii.Net Member
The BCS is scared to death to match OSU against Michigan in the Championship game because they don't want to imagine what would happen if Michigan won.....
Boise State could claim the title :shocked:

FlimFlan

Diabloii.Net Member
Of course they can move ND over UM, it happens all the time. Maybe they think ND matches up better with OSU. Maybe they like the mascot better. Who knows with some of these meatheads.

As for me, being a Buckeye fan, I would rather see OSU play Florida and UM play USC. That way, the Big Ten (Big 2 1/2 this year) could kick the crap out of two conference champs and silence some of the "experts".

PatMaGroin

Diabloii.Net Member
It makes no sense at all to have a rematch in the NC. If that happens, expect to see some changes with the BCS next year. Actually, its not even the concept of a rematch thats bad, its the fact that OSU and UM would be playing back to back games against each other. One of the biggest arguments in support of the BCS is the claim that 'the season is the playoff.' Well how many back to back rematches do you see in the playoffs? None. OSU already beat Michigan, give someone else a chance.

Michigan already had their shot. Their game at the Horseshoe was their national championship, if they really are so much better than everyone else. They had their shot, and they lost.

Here's my top 10 at the moment.

1. Ohio State

2. Arkansas
3. Florida
4. Michigan
5. Notre Dame
6. USC
7. West Virginia
8. Wisconsin
9. Texas
10. Boise State

bg1256

Diabloii.Net Member
Here's my top 10 at the moment.

1. Ohio State

2. Arkansas
3. Florida
4. Michigan
5. Notre Dame
6. USC
7. West Virginia
8. Wisconsin
9. Texas
10. Boise State
Michigan at 4? After losing to the number 1 team by 3 points? You're crazy. You've obviously not watched them play all season. They gave OSU the best game they will get all season.

Arkansas and Florida have not shot at competing with OSU, not even remotely. They would each lost by at least two touchdowns. No one has the defense Michigan has (except OSU), and Michigan didn't even come close to stopping OSU.

I actually laughed out loud when I saw Arkansas at 2.

FlimFlan

Diabloii.Net Member
Michigan at 4? After losing to the number 1 team by 3 points? You're crazy. You've obviously not watched them play all season. They gave OSU the best game they will get all season.

Arkansas and Florida have not shot at competing with OSU, not even remotely. They would each lost by at least two touchdowns. No one has the defense Michigan has (except OSU), and Michigan didn't even come close to stopping OSU.

Just like OSU didn't have a chance against Miami a few years ago.

Right now, I really think that the only school besides Um that would give OSU trouble is Arkansas. I am stuck only seeing SEC games (unless my wife let's me venture out), and they are the only team that I see giving the Buckeyes a problem. Bring on UF or USC, because I think (but no guarantee as shown above) the Buckeyes would dismantle them.

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm confused as to why the winner of the SEC title game would lose out to Notre Dame. I know Notre Dame had a tough schedule this year, but whoever wins the SEC also had a very tough schedule, and they didn't lose to a team OSU has already beaten.

skihard

Banned
I'm confused as to why the winner of the SEC title game would lose out to Notre Dame. I know Notre Dame had a tough schedule this year, but whoever wins the SEC also had a very tough schedule, and they didn't lose to a team OSU has already beaten.
Ohio State has played Notre Dame 6 times in the history of the 2 schools, it happens about once every 15 years ish , and last year. Anyhow there are many people that wish these 2 schools would play more often. I think I heard once that many, many moons ago Ohio State said they will never go to South Bend again because of something between the coaches at the time. Well since OSU won’t go to Indiana, ND won’t go to Columbus so they only meet in bowls. Well if there is a chance to get those 2 schools to meet they can charge more for advertising rights, they can have a “bigger†story and like last year they can have a crappy uneven game with OSU winning.

I don’t care if Michigan goes but I just don’t think Notre Dame should, I’d rather an SEC team (which there are non I like) over ND.

PatMaGroin

Diabloii.Net Member

I think Michigan is the second best team in the nation, I just refuse to give them the #2 spot, because as I said, they already had their chance and lost. They were at #4 because its my belief that the winner of the SEC should play OSU. Arkansas has been the hottest team in the nation since they made some changes after the USC loss, if anyone deserves a chance, its them.

Aside from Michigan, in my opinion the only team in the nation that can play with OSU is a healthy Texas. They lost by 17 points before the offensive coordinator knew that McCoy could seriously play, and they were missing a DB, which allowed Gonzales to tear them up while Ross was on Ginn, who only had one big play.

I would love to see Texas get a rematch, they're a lot better than they were the second week of the season (yeah I know they just lost to K-State, the secondary was seriously beat up, which is why I have them way down at #9.

And about ND, you can't make the argument that 'they lost to Michigan, who lost to OSU.' Football doesn't work like that. While in math, it may be true that if A > B, and B > C, then A > C, it doesn't work like that in sports. That's why they play the games.

Gibbzilla

Diabloii.Net Member

I think it's ridiculous that a team that had just lost wouldn't drop atleast a couple of spots. Absolutely unbelievable. If an SEC team was number 2 and then lost to Ohio State by 3, I guarantee they wouldn't have remained number 2.

skihard

Banned
The reason they didn't drop is because both OSU and Michigan were so far above everyone else in the poles, and then for Michigan to lose by only 3 points (which many say a team gets for home field advantage alone) makes a tough choice not to still be ranked high.

Again I just don't think ND will be any challenge at all, I don't want the BCS game to be a crappy one sided game, and I feel that if ND gets ranked number 2 that OSU should just be given the damn trophy now and call it done. Of course I feel that way if any of the top 8 face OSU other than maybe USC and Michigan.

Ash Housewares

Diabloii.Net Member
I can pretty much guarantee I won't watch the National Title game

it seems the only two choices are Ohio State vs. USC, or a rematch of last week and both sound positively dreary

Florida will probably get screwed again (SEC screwed again) even if they beat Florida State and win the SEC, and Notre Dame isn't even getting a shot

yawn and a half

and hell yes Michigan should've dropped, they LOST

Texas dropped six spots, when ND lost they dropped ten

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member
Just because you lose doesn't mean you should drop. The ranking reflect opinions on how good the teams are. If you have a heap of one loss teams and 2 undefeateds lose, if you think the team that just lost is still better than the other one loss teams, then they should be second.

Ash Housewares

Diabloii.Net Member
when Louisville and West Virginia joined the ranks of one loss teams, they didn't stay put, they went down like rocks

I don't think Michigan should plummet, but it seems decidedly wrong for them to remain above Florida or USC, they gave up eleventy billion yards

remember when Oklahoma lost and didn't drop?

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member
That's why we have computer polls. If there is supposed to be some sort of mathematical formula about how far down a team should drop after losing, we can get rid of human polling all together and plug it into a computer.

I bet no other team in college football could put up 39 on the Buckeyes (formerly, and maybe still currently, the top scoring defense in the country).