The Most Versatile Necromancer

Knight Terror

Diabloii.Net Member
The Most Versatile Necromancer

Necromancer: The Most Versatile Class

Too many times, a Diablo II: Lord of Destruction player reaches hell and finds himself in a world of hurt when he realizes that his prior strategies just aren’t working due to all the immunities that monsters pick up. Lightning, poison, fire and cold immunities run rampant while physical and magic immunities are less common but equally annoying. The problem is that most character classes require synergizing in 1.10 which keeps them limited to one or two types of damage.

This is not true with the Necromancer. He has the possibility of directly attacking with four different types of damage and can add a fifth with a hireling! Let’s go over how this miracle could possibly have occurred…

1. Corpse Explosion: Bingo, two types of damage right there. This devastating attack spell turns any dead monster into a bomb that blankets the enemy with both Fire and Physical damage. The skill always does 60-100% of the corpse’s life in damage and extra points into the skill increase the radius of the blast, effectively turning the entire screen into a hazard area for a monster. It requires no synergies which means that no more than 20 skill points need to be used to give you two types of very effective damage. Even if a monster is immune to either physical or fire damage (not both), they’re still taking 30-50% of the monster’s life in damage!

2. Poison Tree: Whether you want to go with Poison Dagger or Poison Nova, the result is the same: Slow, Painful death. Poison immunities are the least frequent and can easily be dispatched. The Lower Resist curse can break the immunity of any monster of 110% resistance or lower. This means that those poison immunes that you saw wreaking havoc on your golem can now be transformed from being immune to only being resistant to your poison.

3. Bone Tree: Here comes some more damage and the more common path taken by Necromancers. The Bone Tree uses purely magic damage to attack foes. Fully synergized, this tree creates an efficient and effective means of monster destruction. Another skill that receives synergy bonuses from this tree is the widely used Bone Armor which can definitely save the life of any necromancer whose gotten himself into a corner.

4. Cold/Lightning Merc: That’s right! You can add a cold or lightning merc to your arsenal of damage types too!

Equipment necessities are quite basic. I play strictly untweaked on USEast Ladder and have taken my character to level 87. He does Hell Meph runs with limited glitches. The best advice I have is to find +skill equipment. I’ve gambled my rump into the ground finding magic items to provide these skill bonuses. All together, I get +12 poison/bone spells and +7 to all skills. Most are magical although some are unique/rare. Here is my skills placement (before +skill items.)

20 BSpirit
20 BSpear
20 PNova
20 PDagger
3 CE
1 each in PExplosion, Curses, CGolem, GMastery and SResist.

With my +skills items it looks like this.

39 BSpirit
39 BSpear
39 PNova
39 PDagger
22 CE
20 PExplosion
8 each in Curses, CGolem, GMastery and SResist

Right there, I’ve got enough power in Poison, Fire, Physical and Magic damage to pretty much tear apart any foe. THEN…

My Merc is an Act I Rogue that I brought through from level 4 up to level 83. She uses Cold Arrow attack and deals a pretty effective amount of damage (if nothing else, she is slowing down the enemy and away from melee combat so I don’t have to worry about her). Just for the fun of it, I equipped her with +3 skills items which gives her a cool lightning hose spell. Not sure if that’s entirely effective, but it’s another damage type and looks really neat.

All together, my P/B Necro does ALL SIX damage types and rolls over the monsters in hell. The only problem I have had is that my inventory is chalked full of charms (+skills and +res) and my necro’s resists are a little low. I also go through mana pots like crazy. I should have spared the 6 points to grab some revives just for tanking purposes, but Attract/Confuse has done the job 'til now. Right now I only have the almighty gumby. If I make it to lvl 92, that’s my next goal.

Myrakh-2

Diabloii.Net Member
Impressive amount of +skills for an untwinked char... my pure bonemancer uses pre-planned gear and his bonespear (highest skill...) is only lvl 38... *jealous*
It's probaby doing more damage, though. Synergies must be good for something...

Other than that, for me I hope that I don't meet too many magic/hard physical immunes --- so by definition I don't need poison, freeing up a lot of skillpoints for more magic damage and support skills.

FathomFear

Diabloii.Net Member
Pure bone necros typically don't have problems with resistences, as there are so few Magic immune monsters. Same could be said for hammerdins--you don't need multiple attack types if your main attack will have no trouble killing 99% of monsters.

Harleyquin

Diabloii.Net Member
Just for the fun of it, I equipped her with +3 skills items which gives her a cool lightning hose spell.
:scratch: I thought the patch clearly fixed the lightning hose bug, is the original poster sure of the version of the game? Also, pure bonemancers have a lot of trouble killing the first critter of a magic immune boss pack unless decked out with a good mercenary. Hammerdins have it easy since their hammers ignore undead and demon resistances.

Dancolen

Diabloii.Net Member
Wont decryp/attract, with a strong merc handle most magic immune boss packs for that first 1-2 corpses?

/shrug

and yes.. hammerdins have it way too easy..

Their hammers work on demons and undead...
So this leaves animals

How many magic resistant or magic immune animals are there in the game?

basketball

Diabloii.Net Member

what about ur stats? how much mana u have? i assume u didnt add any points to ene.
r u usin Blackbog's Sharp? it got great +skill...
i wanted 2 start a poisenecro but always thinkin what will happen in hell, immunes and high res... what do u suggest?
10x.

Knight Terror

Diabloii.Net Member
Masas said:
+19 to PnB with an untweaked char!? Could you list your gear?
boneflame
venomous wand \
venomous circlet |------> (All Gambled)
venomous amulet/
CoH
2x SOJ

Like I said... Many hours gambling...

grimsleeper

Diabloii.Net Member
Knight Terror said:
boneflame
venomous wand \
venomous circlet |------> (All Gambled)
venomous amulet/
CoH
2x SOJ

Like I said... Many hours gambling...
Still only makes +16 (3+3+3+3+2+2).
Rest +3 from charms?

Isn't CoH an expensive armour for an untweaked character? Did you find all the runes yourself?

~GrimSleeper

Generator Of Chaos

Diabloii.Net Member
So, let me get this straight, you found 1 boneflame, the runes for CoH (Dol + Um + Ber + Ist), 2 sojs, and gambled all that with that very char, during the time you played it?

Call me ceptic, but, how long have you played to find that boneflame, Ber, Um, Ist and 2 Sojs with that char?

Maybe it's cause after all the months I've played this game, I've found 3 sojs, with 2 diferent chars, and seen 1 ber drop....*shrugs*..

Pherdnut

Diabloii.Net Member
Untwinked means only stuff you find as you go. CoH is one of the two most high end armors in the game and your odds getting a SoJ while playing through the game just once are miniscule.

Knight Terror

Diabloii.Net Member
Generator Of Chaos said:
Call me ceptic, but, how long have you played to find that boneflame, Ber, Um, Ist and 2 Sojs with that char?
It feels like years. It was the first character I made for the first ladder season. Was that a year ago or so? I can't remember...

Have they started a new season yet? Have they even scheduled a new season?

Either way, I understand the scepticism, just know that this is by no means a "grab and go" player. I've put the time and effort into it to find this gear. Still looking for the Web to put on switch for increased psn dmg, but I'm not setting my hopes on it.

Knight Terror

Diabloii.Net Member
grimsleeper said:
Still only makes +16 (3+3+3+3+2+2).
Rest +3 from charms?
Yes, I forgot to mention those specifically. Along with the billions of small charms, I pretty much have no room in my inventory (6 spaces or so empty).

I was also mistaken, I didn't gamble the wand. I believe I found that while making a baal run.

Knight Terror said:
How so? Pure Bone typically has no poison, cold or lightning damage effectively...
The bone necro can use an army of skeletons given from + skills as meat shields, high magic damage from his "real" skills, and extreme physical damage from corpse explosion. He uses the monsters powers against themself if he want (1 point wonder revive) and can slow them extreme without chilling (1 point wonder clay golem). I really can't see what monsters whould be a problem? Even dclone falls for his decrep. + cg. combo after what I know.

Dancolen said:
How many magic resistant or magic immune animals are there in the game?
One after what I know, in act3 hell at the kurast temples. I think it's those thorned hulks... or some sort of it.

Generator Of Chaos

Diabloii.Net Member
MonsterSlayer said:
One after what I know, in act3 hell at the kurast temples. I think it's those thorned hulks... or some sort of it.
Walling Beasts.

And sorry to the thread starter, but, by far, the most versatile build PvM (and one of the most versatile build PvP with enough exp) is a hammerdin.
As mentioned above, 1 monster in the entire game is imune to hammers, and with a naturaly high lvl concentration and holy shield, and 1 point pre-req in smite, he'll quickly become nothing more than a bump in your path...
As of now, in 1.10, Hammerdins are the supreme rullers of PvM.

vendrox

Diabloii.Net Member
a necromancer would rule as well as a hammerdin. I've seen it. There is no monster in the game that's immune to a nec, we can do everything. Hammerdins are strong but so are necs, we are even stronger than hammerdins. :)

Pherdnut

Diabloii.Net Member
I beg to differ Generator. Poison/Skelli is not only a lot more interesting to play but it also kills just as fast and from behind a wall of skeletons. Poison immune enemies aren't very common and rarely in places where there won't be plenty of other fodder to blow up with CE. The only place I get slowed down is taking on Baal's Venom Lords. Hammerdins have the undeniable edge on bosses but hammerfields don't slay everything in a radius the way poison and CE do. Furthermore Hammerdins suck in cramped quarters whereas poisonmancers have no problem at all.

Hammerdins have the advantage of a nearly unresistable attack and great damage but the attack itself is awkward and has its limits in certain situations. I'll bet my poisonmancer could slay everything in the pits a lot faster than a well-played hammerdin.