Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The most interesting Character Build?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Senor Bezeer, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Senor Bezeer

Senor Bezeer IncGamers Member

The most interesting Character Build?

I have been thinking about the weirdest character builds you could create, so far the best, weirdest character that I could come up with is a barbazon (a bow weilding barb), I think that a sword/sheild weilding amazon would also get quite interesting, however the barbazon is still atop my list. I was wondering if anyone else has come across, or thaught up a starnge character build, and how they would build it. I was also wondering what part of the barb skill tree that you could use for a barbazon, because after thinking up this hillarious build I have been very interested in the character an will probably attempt the build.

2. TopHatCat64

TopHatCat64 IncGamers Member

You could probably check out Aduna's Bowbarb Guide for info on a bow wielding barb. A tankazon isn't really that interesting, it's a fairly straight forward build using normal attack the entire game and you lack any of the fancy crowd control skills that a barb, commando nec, or a martial arts sin would have.

I'm currently working on my enchantress and I got to say this is an interesting build. You lack the life and def to tank like a barb or pal so you have to zip around the edges of crowds and pick off deadlier monsters using teleport. Using a passion phase blade you have access to zeal and berserk so you have a multi-hit attack and something to deal with OK's.

In a party you're sort of the covert operations to the barb's and pal's machine gun team since you need to be in and out of combat quickly, taking out high priority targets (OK's, resurrectors) while the more traditional meleers handle the grunt work.

3. Senor Bezeer

Cool, thanks for the link and after rethinking it, the tankazon isnt that interesting and it wouldnt be very fun to play either. but the barbazon is still quite intrigueing. Also, i never knew about the enchantress, i thaught that a sorceress with enchant was only useful in party play, and the fact that a sorceress can use zeal, and berserk is super interesting and would be hillarious to play with, thanks for the contribution to the thread and i hope that many more interesting builds turn up.

4. Khalim's_Nosehair

Khalim's_Nosehair IncGamers Member

Wierd Builds

I built a throwing necromancer who was able to beat Hell Baal.

I made a guide for it. Look on the necro forum somewhere.

5. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

Beast-zon is cute. Its funny to have a bear with extreme D/A/E, along with critical strike, great ar and fana aura. People sure get surpised.

6. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

singer barbs. those were hilarious but viable as well

7. Necrolestes

Necrolestes IncGamers Member

Blast from the past

Does anyone remember the days of the Magebarb? I can't remember who posted it but he also created the boxer sorceress and a warrior necro (this was about 15 months ago). Those sure made for some interesting builds.

8. Senor Bezeer

Wow, a throwing necro??? sounds interesting. What did you use throwing knives and such? PS ill be looking for your guide, later on just for curiousity sake. And a mage barb? hmm how did anyone manage that? are there staffs can be weilded by a barb, and grant certain skills? If so i may incorporate some of that into my 'barbazon'. There are sooo many builds that can be made with a little creativety, I never would have imagined the builds some of you have come up with, im gonna have to start fooling around with such builds. They might really bring back the way diablo was when I started. i mean not just trying to make an ULTIMATE character with the best possible dmg. and stuff (like most people are trying to do know) useing all of the same equipment so your character is eite. Trying out a way to use some of the unsual skills and ones that wouldnt classify your character as 'godly' might turn out to be quite fun!

9. Khalim's_Nosehair

Throwmancer

My throwmancer used Gimmershreds (throwing axes) which do physical and have fire, light, and cold elemental damage. So no monsters were immune to him. His damage was something like 2800, with the benefit of a might merc. Add Amp damage and you can see why he is a viable character. His achilles heel is attack rating, but angelic ammy + ring gives a massive boost to ar, dex, and life. To boost AR, use gear and not dex because the AR bonus to additional dex points is pretty low.

All of his gear is cheap stuff that can be bought for pgems. Nothing fancy at all.

He doesn't have any area spells, so he uses bonewall for crowd control. You have to use tactics and the curse tree effectively to make it work, since he won't be mowing down baddies like a hammerdin. You will be making use of Amp damage, life tap, iron maiden, dim vision, confuse, and lower resist.

Fun build.

10. Elgar

Elgar IncGamers Member

He also had the Necro turned pacifist. He built a bone necro, lvled him through NM, then for the first run through hell, he could only kill the monsters that were necesary.

11. Elgar

Elgar IncGamers Member

Magebarb uses warcrys and parts of trang's set for fireball/firewall. I presently (or more accuratly, when i have the time) am having fun with a Hunter (Bow weilding Druid Summoner) So far hes through mid Act 5 NM with lvl in the high 50's.

12. Senor Bezeer

ic.... sounds like it would bring out the best diablo players in all of us :p! I could see that taking some skill. And wow! I'm amazed 2.8k dmg for a throwing necro! Now im really impressed with this build! My first character (obvioulsly gonna be less than perfect) only did 1k! but I can still be affective in party games, but to be able to handle hell baal with that build, I am really, really impressed! congrats

13. Khalim's_Nosehair

Looks like my guide is gone from the necro forum

So here it is:

Hi, my name is Khalim’s_Nosehair and I play on USEast.

I have been a lurker for a while, not really posting much. This is my first attempt at a guide.

First, a few abbreviations, I think you already know, but just in case:
    AR – Attack rating
    CB – Crushing Blow
    CBF – Cannot Be Frozen
    DS – Deadly Strike
    IAS – Increased Attack Speed
    OW – Open Wounds

I have just beaten Hell Baal with my Level 83 Throwmancer. This character is primarily a melee-mancer, however he borrows some techniques from the Jailkeeper and the Artymancer. The goal was to create a melee-mancer who can survive and kill things in Hell. Since throwing is slightly different from other melee techniques, I thought it may deserve its own guide.

This is a somewhat challenging build. He is able to deal reasonable damage and survive, but he is not going to mow down baddies like a sorc or trapsin. However, he can handle every monster thrown at him. He can help in parties but he is not going to be the lead guy in dealing damage. His party role will be more curse support and defense from bone wall. Finally, he needs to run back to town a lot for repairs. It is the sort of build for someone who is bored with cookie-cutter builds which can kill everything effortlessly. If you like playing tactically and relying on different techniques for different monsters then this build is for you.

This is definitely not a PVP build, though you may be able to get in some cheap shots as your opponent blows coffee through their nose laughing at a throwing necro. He is reasonably sturdy and I was tempted to duel some sucky barb I was tanking for in the Arcane Sanctuary after he kept asking me for free stuff.

This character does not summon or use bone spear / bone spirit. For physical immunes, he relies on elemental damage from equipment and the use of amp damage or decrepify. In certain instances, he will use corpse explosion and IM / bonewall to kill things, but the majority of the time he simply throws.

The main advantages of the build include:

You can kill everything in the game – nothing is immune.
    You will need to develop tactics in order to handle different situations, so it is more interesting.
    The Throwmancer is not really equipment-dependent and doesn’t require godly gear.

The shortcomings include:

The throwmancer is not a one-shot-one-kill character
    You don’t really have any area-killing skills.
    You will need to run back to town for repairs a lot
    Throwing weapons cannot be socketed, so you lack the ability to add as many mods.
    Not the best party character.

As a ranged attacker, the necromancer has some serious shortcomings that have to be addressed. First and foremost is AR. The AR bonus from adding dexterity is extremely low. He will get the majority of his AR boost from equipment and charms. Second, the hit recovery for Necros is weak as well. As a result, he has to make use of tactics (ie not getting hit) as opposed to using equipment. He also doesn’t really need much damage reduction. Bone Armor takes care of that. You don’t need a lot of faster r/w simply because you won’t want to stir up too many baddies at a time.

On the other hand, necros have curses that are extremely helpful as a meleer. Aside from amp damage, which is obvious, he has no need for leech because the build is not mana-dependent and life tap is better than any leech you could get from equipment. With life tap, your throwmancer can refill his red bulb in two or three hits.

Crushing blow / Deadly Strike / Open Wounds are important stats for this build. Open wounds helps stop monster hp regeneration, and CB allows you to take large bites out of hp when you first attack. However, you will be able to deal enough damage by yourself that you are not dependent on CB.

Weapons: Spears vs Javs vs knives and axes

While throwing spears and harpoons have higher base damage, they have lower stack sizes. This can create problems especially when fighting the Ancients because if you run out of ammo, you are forced to melee and that is difficult with this character unless you have a lot of FHR.

In order to take out physical immunes, you will need a large elemental damage boost on your equipment. Gimmershreds are a natural choice, however you can find nice elemental damage mods on rares.

Stats:
    Strength: Enough to use your equipment
    Dex: Since dex affects your damage, it makes sense to put some points here. You probably want anywhere from 180 – 200 points in dex.
    Energy: nothing
    Vit: Everything else.

Skills:
    Bone Wall: 20
    Bone Prison: 20
    Iron Maiden: 20
    Dim Vision: 5 or 10+
    Decrepify: 5 or so. That should give you enough radius and duration to be effective.
    Amp Damage: 2 or so.
    Clay Golem: 1 (good for a diversion early in game)
    Lower Resist: 2 – 5
    Corpse Explosion: 1
    Attract: 1
    Rest of curse tree: 1
    Bone Armor: Whatever is left if you don’t build DV

Dim Vision is a great skill at high levels and it pretty much neutralizes ranged attackers. Bone wall will neutralize most ranged attackers, but not all. In this build, you will probably find you have extra skill points and have a choice to build either dim vision or bone armor. DV needs to be 10+ points to be useful as a main skill. If you choose to rely on bone wall and not allocate points to dim vision, you will be vulnerable to gloams, bone-spear casting serpents, and bone spirits from oblivion knights.

Life tap: This is your leech. When you are facing tough monsters, cast life tap and you can take a lot of abuse provided you don’t get locked up in hit recovery.

Decrepify vs Amp Damage. Amp damage boosts your damage more than decrepify does, however decrepify also slows and weakens monsters. Both decrepify and amp damage lower physical resistance enough that you can deal damage to phys immunes. If you include +elemental damage from equipment you can take out stone skin phys immunes.

Corpse Explosion: Your safety valve. When you are overrun, you can either take your chances with terror or get a corpse and CE your way out. Also, it is the only way to get through the maggot lair, halls of the dead, and Tal Rasha’s tomb. If you throw to get your first kill and then CE your way through the rest, you are

Equipment:
    Surprisingly, you don’t need to be rich for this build.

Helm: Um’d Guillaume’s Face. Rockstopper w/ perfect diamond is also good.
    Armor: Lionheart, though this new runeword Fortitude looks pretty boss.
    Boots: Goreriders
    Shield: Tiamet’s Rebuke with perfect diamond (lots of + elemental damage); Rhyme in a good necro shield.
    Gloves: Crafted blood gloves with high crushing blow % and resists
    Belt: Crafted Blood belt with high open wounds % and resists. Razortail might be good for the piercing attack.
    Note the bonuses from IK gloves + belt are pretty good so that is another option
    Rings: 2 angelic halos if getting CBF from armor / shield, otherwise angelic halo + ravenfrost
    Ammy: Angelic Wings.
    Weapon: Gimmershreds (best), Warshrike (piercing attack), Rares are good early and mid-game.
    Charms: AR and resists. +skill equipment / charms are a low priority.

Notice that you don’t need to bother with leech.

The bonuses to Angelic Wings + angelic halo are +10 to dex and a massive boost to AR which increases with character level. At high levels, it can be 1000 pts per ring.

Mercenary: Act 2 might merc or blessed aim merc. I use the might merc. Blessed Aim helps with AR, might helps with damage.

With this equipment setup and my might merc, my damage is 760 – 2850 without the benefit of curses or +elemental damage charms. This damage includes elemental damage, so Amp damage won’t double all of your damage, just the physical damage.

With decent charms, you should be able to max your resists as well.

With the equipment setup above, you should have:
    AR around 2600 (55% - 60% chance to hit in Act 5 hell)
    60% chance of crushing blow
    30% DS
    16% OW.

Tactics:
    Bone Wall is your best means of crowd control. It stops most ranged attacks with the exception of bone spears from serpents, bone spirits from oblivion knights, and lightning from gloams. Since you kill one monster at a time, you need to keep everyone busy while you pick them off. Using bone wall with iron maiden helps soften up the crowd while you take them apart. While you typically won’t kill monsters this way (you kill much faster) it does help move things along. It also will be your only way to deal damage when you have to do a naked body retrieval. Other methods of crowd control include attract and confuse.

When in enclosed spaces, use bone wall to seal off open doors so you don’t get outflanked and to prevent ranged attackers from hitting you in another direction. When facing ranged attackers, cast bone wall in front of you, take out the guys behind it, then recast bone wall ahead of you and move forward. In open areas where you are facing a lot of attackers, cast bone wall and IM the crows and run off-screen. The crowd that follows you will be a lot more manageable. In addition, your bonewall doesn’t seem to lose life when you are off-screen. Then you can sneak back and start picking off the rest. Use the terrain to augment bone wall.

Bone Prison is another option, however your throwing range is just about ½ - 2/3 of a screen. Therefore you might find that you can’t hit monsters standing behind your prison.

Early in the game, gamble a lot. You can get some pretty high elemental damage bonuses on low-level weapons. I found myself building str/dex more than vit early. Good early stuff includes Biggin’s Bonnet, armor with rubies in it, rhyme shield, angelic stuff, bloodfist and rares. Since you need repairs, you’ll find yourself pretty much selling everything you come across. Surprisingly, you will find that the early going is pretty easy. Nightmare becomes a struggle unless you find a good +elemental damage weapon.

The act bosses are not bad at all. Duriel is probably one of the hardest if you want to be a purist and avoid the use of jailkeeper techniques. Baal and Diablo are somewhat easier, and Andy and Meph are very easy. Behind your bonewall you are safe.

There are only a few situations that will give you conniptions: You step into the arcane sanctuary and are attacked by a pack of extra-fast fanaticism specters and you haven’t had a chance to clear out some room to work with yet. Bone Wall is useless in this situation and decrepify doesn’t slow them enough. Plus you keep losing mana as you get hit. Try to tough it out with attract / life tap or bravely run away and restart.

Gloams are a pain, but they are for everyone. Cast attract to give them something to do besides target you and then cast life tap. You will be able to take them out and your merc will survive. You might find that your party members give you grief for not blindly running around and casting amp damage / lower resist like a good little necro should.

Since this is my first guide, I sort of guessed as to how it should be laid out. If it is merely redundant because it has already been covered in the meleemancer guide (which is excellent, by the way) I apologize. Any comments are welcome. Thanks.

Khalim’s Nosehair

14. atrusunbound

atrusunbound IncGamers Member

I am a vary anti build persion. Im not going to sit at the computer like a calculator or a "how to create a good character in diablo 2" paper, Im more prone to doing what i feel like doing at that time

15. TopHatCat64

This is generally how most of us started in D2, testing the effectiveness of all the skills. What tends to happen though if you're "doing what you feel like doing at that time" is that your character becomes a jack of all trades (master of none) as use skillpoints to respond to specific situations that you're facing at the time and end up underpowered when you get to hell diff since you're so spread out.

16. atrusunbound

atrusunbound IncGamers Member

this guy wanted me to build up an all lightning sorc... well when i got to nightmare act three all that would ever show it would seem are lightning immune monsters

17. TopHatCat64

This is why planning is key, you have to factor in at least one other kind of element when building a character otherwise you'll have a difficult time in higher difficultly levels.