The most consistently powerful skill over the entire history of D2.

Merick

Diabloii.Net Member
The most consistently powerful skill over the entire history of D2.

It has to be frozen orb. It was totally awesome all the way back in day 1. It's never been nerfed other than adding a timer to it. It's always been a powerhouse that can hit everything on the screen.

Zeal used hit 20 targets, and if could be interupted, making you miss for the rest of the zeal.
Fanat used to only add speed.
Skeletons used to be really weak, and you couldn't walk through them.
Bows used to all do horrible damage.
Javs used to only come in white.

Lots of skills became useable with the creation of synergies in 1.10. Lots of skills did more damage in 1.08 than in 1.06.

The only skill that can come close is whirlwind. It's been nerfed about 4 times, but it's still quite good. It doesn't spray slowing, resisting piercing ice bolts everywhere on the screen though.

ogogo on ice

Diabloii.Net Member
I'd have to say that concentration (the pally aura) is up there too. It used to be used quite often for the damage bonus, plus being uninteruptable was always nice, plus people even used it on old hammerdins (even though they weren't NEARLY as good). I'd have to agree, frozen orb definetly wins out.

IntelligentX

Diabloii.Net Member
Normal attack have my vote.
If you don't have that skill you won't be able to attack at all, not even level your character and learn other skills.

kavehtabriaz

Diabloii.Net Member
most of paladin offensive auras are the best when it coms to party ,salvation , convition ,concentration ....

Bri

Diabloii.Net Member
Corpse Explosion...and if you played classic then Static Field...
Those were quick cow games :)

Pom Shadd

Diabloii.Net Member
I'd say WW is up there too. Has it ever been nerfed?

I remember when I made my first ever barb back in 1.00. I didn't have a clue what i was doing, and got some of every combat skill, a few weapons masteries, all the wcs, etc. But when I saw WW was negative %damage, I thought: "ewww," and didnt bother putting a point in it. That is, until I saw a barb on the outer steppes using ww with a giant axe, decimating corpulents. From thence forth, I was sold. Ahh, the days of iceblink pike barbs... so many fond memories.

Merick

Diabloii.Net Member
Normal attack have my vote.
If you don't have that skill you won't be able to attack at all, not even level your character and learn other skills.
You could still throw javelins :prop:

Pom Shadd said:
I'd say WW is up there too. Has it ever been nerfed?
As I alluded to earlier, it's probably been nerfed more times than any other skill, and yet it remains the second most popular barb skill (BO).

Eilo Rytyj

Diabloii.Net Member
Teleport
Dim Vision
Pierce (esp w/ razortail)
Decoy
just to name a few.

Oh, and back in v1.0 Fanaticism increased speed and AR.
Lightning Mastery just reduced the mana cost of lightning skills too.

Frosty_The_Snowman

Diabloii.Net Member
Corpse Explosion...and if you played classic then Static Field...
Those were quick cow games :)
That's exactly the 2 skills I was going to vote for.

Nothing beats Static Field in terms of damage done per second. It's not a killing skill, but reducing Baal's life by half in a 8-players game, in less than a second, is totally awesome.

And nothing beats CE when you have a room full of monsters and a body to start the chain reaction :grin: ! This skill also wins by far the prize of most GORE skill of the game :badteeth: !

Zeek

Diabloii.Net Member
Corpse Explosion is my vote. That thing has been a consistent killer since day 1 and it kills on a massive scale. Even when it was nerfed a bit, it still maintained its dominance.

Merick

Diabloii.Net Member
CE isn't so hot in 8 player games though. Early, early on it scaled with players though and was completely riduculously strong.

Wacken

Diabloii.Net Member
WW is a grossly overestimated skill. It's just so appealing to some kinds of players. I think its the worst of the end skills for the barb.

zodwizard

Diabloii.Net Member
Corpse Explosion gets my vote.

Through all the patches, it has remained consistantly powerful, especially with the chain reaction possiblities (which I've used to clear tight areas so my skellies can advance). The damage is good, it kills fast, and can affect most of the screen when maxed.

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator
WW is a grossly overestimated skill. It's just so appealing to some kinds of players. I think its the worst of the end skills for the barb.
I disagree. My IK barb (WW) has far less problems on solo Baal runs than my Frenzy barb with BotD+Death eth BAs and CoH which cost perhaps 5 times more than the IK set+dual leech ring+Raven+Metalgrid+crap charms (ladder Europe). It might be a matter of playing style, however. Anyway, frenzy is the barb skill which is the most fun. WW is like mowing the lawn and conc is just boring.

Most powerful skill IMO: Teleport.