The Monster Name Tournament (Easy)

Liquid_Evil

Diabloii.Net Member
The Monster Name Tournament (Easy)

Unique Monster Name Tournament

Firstly, this isn’t a conventional tournament per se. Secondly, I realize that no one should ever use the term “per se” lest they sound like a pretentious gomer. Thirdly, this will take no time outside of your normal D2 play, so you should totally do it.

What’s the premise, Liq?
Every two weeks or so (but it can be dependent on how much activity this thread sees), I’ll post the names of three random unique monsters. Then, during your week of D2 play, you'll see if your characters encounter monsters with those exact names. Find a monster with that exact name and you get a point. Find all three monsters, get all three points.

What if I find a monster name that isn’t quite the same but is really, really close?
Only exact names count.

Does the monster have to be a specific type or found on a specific difficulty?
Nope. We only care about the names here.

I’m HC, can I participate?
Yes. I don’t care whether you’re HC or SC. Enter with any character. It simply doesn’t matter.

I’m SC, can I participate?
*sigh* Yes, you may participate.

What if I am MP’ing with someone and we both see the same correct monster? Can we both use it?
As long as you have your own screenshot, it works for you.

What if I find last week's monsters after the fact?
You only get awarded points based on the names of current monsters.

How long will this last? What could I win???
I think I’ll see what the level of interest is before I commit to an end date (and if there is none, then we can just let this die). The winning point scorer probably won’t win much outside of D2 street cred, but maybe I could see about a custom ‘tar or something. There’s nothing really at stake here so don’t go crazy just screenshotting every single monster in the hopes that I might pick one of those for the next week’s installment. Part of the fun and challenge is doing it on a week to week basis.

How do I host a screenshot?
I like imageshack.us, but I think other people here have used photobucket to some good effect. (I think you can host ss's through diii.net these days actually). Hit your Print Screen key, find it in your Diablo folder, and upload to a reputable image hosting website. Then, post the link here and update your point total in the table.

How will I ever remember these 3 monster names I’m supposed to be looking for?
A Post-It note on your monitor? All of the names should be somewhat straightforward, and I will always try to include one that should trigger your memory. Think Puke. One of the three names will always contain the word “Puke.” Hopefully that’s a good enough visual cue to keep you thinking about your screenshots.

Why should I do this?
Because it’s pretty simple and everyone love screenshots? This is a relatively easy “tournament” and if you’re looking at monster names, you might be more apt to pay attention to their mods and die needless deaths to monsters tougher than you. In a way, I’m helping to make you a better player. You’re welcome. Now add yourself to the table and check the edits in this first post periodically to see what the newest monster names are.

This has been going a while. Can I still enter?
Sure.

Code:
Forum Name         Points
This sessions monster names are…

Gut Drinker
Steel Spell
Sin Fist
Icehawk Riftwing (just to see who's paying attention and wants the freebie point)

Past Monster Names

Last edited:

TheReadMenace

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: The Monster Name Tournament (Easy)

I like the idea. Very little effort involved, and I need all the D2 street cred I can scrounge. :wink:

In truth, I'd hope this tournament would go on for quite a long time since not everyone (meaning: me) plays D2 from week to week.

I won't yet add my name to a table since I'm in a bit of an "off" mode (OVG have my attention), but I'd love to participate in the near future.

Cool idea. :thumbsup:

Liquid_Evil

Diabloii.Net Member

In truth, I'd hope this tournament would go on for quite a long time since not everyone (meaning: me) plays D2 from week to week.
Well, if there's a decent amount of interest in this and that sentiment is echoed, then I might just do a lone monster per week after this first installment of 3 (so that people wouldn't have to remember as much and I wouldn't deplete the supply of good ones as quickly). Something to consider. Thanks for the post.

Syntaxicide

Diabloii.Net Member

This is a tournament that looks like a nice intro into this for me. Count me in!

Code:
Syntaxicide          0

sirpoopsalot

Diabloii.Net Member

If I may suggest an idea, award a couple of bonus points to the person who finds the scariest matching monster of the week (determined subjectively by the tournament host)... stopping to take a screenshot of a Blessed-Aim aura Puke Bite is one thing, but when he spawns as a Convicted, ExtraFast Burning Soul, it's another.

Not sure if I'll participate - after all of the running in bassano's tournament I think I'm ready to take a mini-D2 break for a few days.

PS. You might also want to mention that people can configure their Screenshot key in the 'Configure Controls' submenu of the game.

essojay

Diabloii.Net Member

Poops, taking a break from D2? Yeah, right. :p

This sounds pretty fun. I'd join if I weren't swamped with work. Maybe next week or so when I'm less busy.

jamesixgun

Diabloii.Net Member

I'll join in!

But I guess you know what that means:

1)Puke Bite
2)Seethe Fang
3)Devil Hack

If I run across any of those interesting fellows, I'll surely join in proper.

Justa

Diabloii.Net Member

Ok count me in, never done a tourny before and this will make pit runs less boring.

Code:
Syntaxicide          0
Justa                0

Zelator

Diabloii.Net Member

Code:
Syntaxicide          0
Justa                0
Zelator            0
Good idea! I'll join in, I don't really play a lot of D2 atm, but it can't hurt looking some names. :)

Neksja

Diabloii.Net Member

Code:
Syntaxicide          0
Justa                0
Zelator              0
Neksja		     0
Why not, I should be playing a little bit anyways, so why not running around trying to find those bosses.

LODjunkie

Diabloii.Net Member

Awesomeness, I'm killin mobs anyway, might as well look for a certain 1 anyway
Code:
Syntaxicide          0
Justa                0
Zelator              0
Neksja	              0
Bones                0

wikkid

Diabloii.Net Member

Code:
Syntaxicide          0
Justa                0
Zelator              0
Neksja	             0
Bones                0
Wikkid               0
Sounds reasonably entertaining as normally screen shot all uniques for my own amusement later on or to remember what a pain they were.

nualum

Diabloii.Net Member

Code:
Syntaxicide          0
Justa                0
Zelator              0
Neksja	             0
Bones                0
Wikkid               0 
nualum               0
Sounds like my kind of challenge.

stierkampf

Diabloii.Net Member

Code:
Syntaxicide        0
Justa                0
Zelator              0
Neksja	       0
Bones               0
Wikkid               0 
nualum              0
stierkampf         0
Sounds like my kind of challenge.
Me too...didn't wanna figure out the table thingie, but quoting works well.

bojddo

Diabloii.Net Member

I'll be on the lookout too!

Code:
Syntaxicide          0
Justa                0
Zelator              0
Neksja	             0
Bones                0
Wikkid               0
nualum               0
stierkampf           0
bojddo               0
btw, is there an easier way to line up the code brackets than counting spaces?

Fabian

Diabloii.Net Member

Code:
Syntaxicide          0
Justa                0
Zelator              0
Neksja	             0
Bones                0
Wikkid               0
nualum               0
stierkampf           0
bojddo               0
Fabian               0

Thyiad

Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

* Idiot proof rules? Check
* Doesn't require much effort? Check
* Not upgainst 80hr insane barbarian runners? Check

I'm in.

Code:
Syntaxicide          0
Justa                0
Zelator              0
Neksja	             0
Bones                0
Wikkid               0
nualum               0
stierkampf           0
bojddo               0
Fabian               0
Thyiad               0
Interestingly I was reading Atil's Art Competition the day before you posted this. Great minds or stop sharing the brain-cell. You decide. :)

Oh rule question: it doesn't matter which char I use does it? (I'll probably do this while running Pindle.)

sirpoopsalot

Diabloii.Net Member

(I'll probably do this while running Pindle.)
My guess is you won't have much luck there. :whistling:

@essojay, I do these little 3-5 day breaks pretty often - they help keep me almost sane. Sometimes they'll last a week or three.

Liquid_Evil

Diabloii.Net Member

Oh rule question: it doesn't matter which char I use does it? (I'll probably do this while running Pindle.)
Nope. It doesn't matter which char or chars you use; it's all based on the player rather than the assorted characters that populate their stables. That way you could do this "tourney" in tandem with other tournaments that require specific or hindered chars (or just as easily participate in this if you played any d2 at all).

Quick question to the participants. Would you guys rather just have 1 unique character a week so you had less to remember or are you more in favor of the 3 so there's a few more opportunities to net some points? If the majority seems not to care either way, then I'll probably just keep it at the three monster names per week ratio.

nualum

Diabloii.Net Member

I like three at a time - better chance of finding one of the buggers and keeps us on our toes. I did just have to come back for a reminder on the third one... not a bad thing.

Targets found: 1
Favorite name so far: Sin Skin

EDIT: FOUND ONE! (twinking/questing new druid through act II)

Code:
nualum               1
Syntaxicide          0
Justa                0
Zelator              0
Neksja	             0
Bones                0
Wikkid               0
stierkampf           0
bojddo               0
Fabian               0