Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The Monk's auras

Discussion in 'Monk' started by Risingred, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Risingred

Risingred IncGamers Member

The Monk's auras

From twitter:

[BLUE="http://twitter.com/Diablo/statuses/25165988893"]@soundguy_99 The monk has auras but they are more like active skills as they have instant effects as well as timed buffs.[/BLUE]

Well, that's not really an aura then, is it? :p
    May as well call it something else.

2. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

Re: The Monk's auras

So... It's a Curse/Shout hybrid? Press button, monstahs feel down, players feel upsy daisy?

Could be interesting. I imagine this means an Aura isn't something we can cast every fight then, because then it would be an annoying "always keep it up" thing so might as well turn it into an actual Aura.

3. Risingred

Risingred IncGamers Member

Yeah, it sounds just like a shout in function.

4. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

just what we need, more shouts. i hate duration buffs in these kind of games i much rather the skill be passive or if active then 1 at a time like the auras

5. The Rockman

The Rockman IncGamers Member

Hmm I think it more like a pally aura in how it works when up, but you activate it like shouts so it a shora or an auts or some thing.

But if that correct I wish they take a book out of TQ arua skills and have them consume a part of your resource maximum (Spirit for a monk) and have it permanent, until you turn off the skill.

6. Nekora

Nekora IncGamers Member

If any of you play League of Legends, I'm kind of imagining a system somewhat like Udyr's stances.

For those of you who don't, Udyr revolves around 4 different stances, each of which cause his fighting style to diverge when using it. Activating a stance gives a powerful, short-lived bonus, and a constant effect that stays on even after the bonus goes away. For example, activating Turtle Stance absorbs the next [x] damage dealt to Udyr for the next 5 seconds, and causes his attacks to leech [y]% health an mana. Phoenix stance causes a fire aura that does [x] damage per second for 5 seconds around Udyr, and constantly turns his normal attacks into AoEs with splash damage. And so on.

I have the feeling the monk's 'Auras' might be something along these lines.

7. Moonfrost

Moonfrost IncGamers Member

I imagine monk auras primarily as defensive/offensive cooldowns with minor, timed buffs. You're encouraged to change them in combat when necessary, but they're not totally useless when the main effect has worn off.

I kind of wonder how they fit within the 7 hotkey limitation, though. With only so many hotkeys available, it'll no doubt be difficult to fit both several attack skills as well as the auras.

8. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

Hmm, that is true. Out of all the classes Monk might feel the most constrained with this limitation.

On the other hand, every combo skill is 3 attacks in one, so he might be better off then the rest. Still...

2-3 Combos, 2-3 Finishers, 1-3 neither of those sounds like a decent mix. Would be a bit weird to fit in the auras when there is stuff like Impenetrable Defense.

9. sirroman

sirroman IncGamers Member

They stole my Druidic Bard Nature's Body's Chant/Verse active-skills mechanic! Damn you blizz! =p

10. AxeX

AxeX IncGamers Member

I don't see it as being a problem with the hotkey limitation, it kind of reminds me of the wizards armor spells, theres more than 1 of them and they all have their benefits, but you'll probably only want to use one or two that are relevant to the build your going with.

11. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

My question is if this is like a barb shout (foot aura look, but doesn't extend past unless he "gives" it to the player), or if it's a party-wide aura.

12. AxeX

AxeX IncGamers Member

My best guess would be party-wide, as it would seem stupid not too, but thats just me.

Another question, if it is party-wide, how close to you do they have to be to reap the benefits? Obviously across acts and whatnot it won't affect you, but if I'm in the same general area with my party, do they have to be on my screen to get my aura or can they be a little farther out? I'm thinking at least they should be visible on the minimap, but I'm hoping the range is farther than my screen.

13. In the name of Zod

In the name of Zod IncGamers Member

If they give these type of benefits to one class then all classes should get them too. There was a reason that the paladin was the most played in D2.

Buff, and aura's are real end game material imo, it keeps the game going long after the love for the game has died off. I hope there is more of this with the expansion but less earlier on or it will become the weed in the garden that takes over.

14. Flux

Flux Administrator

The only previous mention of Auras, AFAIK, came from Jay Wilson when I got to phone interview him last October.

So as of then, auras were going to be defensive and/or support abilities. Support = party shared, I assume.

As we know, things do change a bit during development, so there's no telling what Auras do now. As Bashiok said today, they're basically Warcries in their casting mechanism/duration. But since the whole point in D2 was that most auras shared to the party, or at least debuffed monsters in a way that everyone could benefit from, and since that's what Jay said they'd do last year... best bet is that they do something along those lines, still.

15. TheMythe

TheMythe Diablo: IncGamers Member

Bet we'll see that on Blizzcon 2010 s well than :)

16. Telzen

Telzen IncGamers Member

Maybe the finishers activate the auras. Spirit builds up when using combos right, and then gets used when using finishers. Maybe part of what makes finishers so good is that they activate short term buffs.

17. Leugi

Leugi IncGamers Member

Hmn... it would be awesome if auras worked either like party buffs or glyphs in DA:O

- The party buffs work pretty much like Paladin's auras but they require you to activate it first, once it is activated it lowers the energy cap (in some cases) so you'd better not have it active all the time...

- I'd love to see the Monk having something like the Glyph skills over at DA:O... You put a glyph on the ground which is a huge circle with a rune, and when someone is stepping the circle it receives the buff. Would fit him nicely IMO.

18. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

Well we've seen him with patterns at his feet, so this glyph thing can easily be done.

19. cacophony

cacophony IncGamers Member

Hopefully every class will have some sort of group synergy skill (or several), instead of stacking them all on three classes (warcries, curses and auras). Oh, and I guess druid ghosts, sort of. Anyway, if there are 25-30 active skills per class (not including runes), then at least 2 or 3 of them could be group buffs/debuffs that are helpful in a party. That's part of the fun of multiplayer; your group is more powerful than the sum of the parts. It shouldn't be limited to only a couple of classes.