Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The Middle Earth Mod

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by gravitysrainbow, May 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gravitysrainbow

gravitysrainbow IncGamers Member

The Middle Earth Mod

Sorry if this is redundant. I searched around and couldn't turn anything up so here goes..

I know there's a running thread about accepting Mods but this isn't that and i'm eager to share tactics on the mod i am running. A couple weeks ago, after hearing so much about ATMA, the realm runeword enabler and others i went looking for them and similar things..kind of a general mod inquiry. In the process, i found the V & K Middle Earth mod, which also happens to be at the phrozen keep. Well, i grew up reading Tolkien and playing the Middle Earth Role Playing (MERP) sets and so i thought i would give this a whirl.

I have to say, i think it's pretty ok. meaning good. it's hard, and i'm still going through some shock of..kind of letting go of all the typical D2LOD tactics. After being annoyed for a spell, it started to grow on me.

I'm not going to go into the differences as there's a dedicated webpage but, if anyone ventures into this mod, I'd be happy to chat it up and help each other learn what and what not to do. Hmm..but i do suppose some kind of crux statement is in order..Essentially, there's far more emphasis on Rares and crafting than there is on runewords or godly sets. It's set up so that you have more of a hand tailoring your gear. Furthermore, all items like runes and gems have a greater number and strength of mods. In theory (at lower levels anyway- i JUST made it to NM) you could make some great armor out of runes and jewels and not have to rely on an exact sequence of pieces to make a good item. Oh yeah- mods to AI, monster stats, and of course, uniques, sets and many chars are lifted from Middle Earth. A few nights ago i found the Arkenstone as an example.

*Note to the moderators- i know the url is not at phrozen, but the forum for the mod is hosted at the keep and i figured that was close enough. Furthermore, while i recognize the existence of another forum, it's REALLY quiet over there and, this is a pretty wise community.*

Apologies to the mods if this is in the wrong place or annoying in some other fashion.

2. Repusz

Repusz IncGamers Member

I would have a question to you then: do you, too, keep getting one-hit kills from elemental enchanted or spectral hit monsters? That's the only thing that really annoys me about this mod: I move up to eg. a CE monster (Coldcrow) with ~170 HP (in normal act1) and get killed in a single hit... Is this a bug or a feature that kills the fun of the entire mod? :confused:

--Repusz--

3. gravitysrainbow

Well, no i don't fall to one hits too often..in fact, i'd have to say that it occurs less than in D2, at least in the difficulties through which i have played. mind you, I am only starting nightmare or whatever it's called in the mod.

I was able to find some decent Rare armors with decent resists after stumbling across a unique called the white robe. plus in act II, i picked up a merc with the defence boosting aura. I'm playing an assassin with dual claws, so i'm right in the thick of it. I'm spending 2 str, 1 dex, 2 life per level and relying on claw mastery and items to up my AR.

This isn't to say i don't die. But to me, there seems to be a greater emphasis on physical damage. I have had a bigger issue with just plain getting whomped to death that i have with say, gloam lighting (will o the wisp) or novas triggered by killing a unique monster.

What character are you playing?

4. Repusz

Repusz IncGamers Member

A zealot, aiming for high defense (I've read that is useful :cyclops: ).
    Gonna go for maxed Zeal, Fanaticism/Concentration and Holy Shield + a Defiance merc. I am still in act1 (Countess one-hit killed with IIRC 40+% FR... :( )

--Repusz--

5. gravitysrainbow

Sounds like a real beater outer :)

Well, i don't know about your one hit problem. But IMO, the fighting seems more..real in that ok, i know we're playing the role of hero, but in D2 with the right gear, you can be surrounded taking hits until you mow everyone down. but in the Mod, even if you're surrounded by orclings, you could still have a problem. this became blatant in act 5. it's almost as though every monster has the chance to land a crushing blow or something. in other words, even though the chances aren't high, they are there enough to the point where you can't just ignore weaker monsters as harmless. a very weak monster can land a substantial blow, and so it wouldn't surprise me if stronger spawns could slay you in one shot.

That said, i have only been slain in one shot by a ghostly fire dragon, but also, if i haven't set up taking out a group with traps and mind blast, my chances of success are greatly minimized, and i'll probably end up drinking most of my pots. Also, the countess almost took me out too :rolleyes: whereas typically, unless you were in hell, she probably wouldn't.

what's your ac? resists?

6. Artagas

Artagas IncGamers Member

hey, i have a question to all of you. I am in the process of picking the right mod for my taste, so i was reading the website of this one which talks about increased stash size (a very good thing, since i figure i can't use atma for these characters...or can I?), but also an increased inventory size. Isn't the latter very unbalancing charm vise? Or are the affixes/suffixes lowered proportionally?
    Also I wonder whether you guys find playing hell with the mod more or less difficult as compared to LoD.

7. DX-Crawler

DX-Crawler Banned

Well I think you can open your character with ATMA, not sure though, but you wont see all your items with ATMA so I suggest not to use ATMA if you want to continue playing that mod.

DX

8. Twoflower

Twoflower Banned

the 3 mods i tried so far, you can t use atma whit it

as for the larger inventory and charms :

1st u ll have to start out new so you won t have these charms en masse for the moment :) 2nd most mods i played are much harder than LoD, so it is only fair :) last one i tried for example you start whit -20 resis allready in normal !

9. Gabriel74

Gabriel74 IncGamers Member

This mod has always interested me the most. Is it very hard to install? Do I need to know more about computers than "unzip and press icon x"

10. gravitysrainbow

I want to cover a couple things-

as far as ATMA goes: i don't run ATMA. but i am using this thing called PlugY, also distributed via Phrozen. So, perhaps you can't run ATMA but there is an alternative. Besides, someone in another post recommended making alternative directories for each mod you run- this is a good idea. So you could copy your D2 directory to another, start fresh in the ME mod, and run PlugY as opposed to ATMA, though from what i have read, ATMA is more advanced in terms of the data it provides on items.

In the context of difficulty installing the ME mod. I didn't find it difficult. Essentially, you unzip into the diablo directory, create a short cut and modify the target of the shortcut with the -text -whatever (i can't remember it but it's on the Mod's homepage). This process overwrites some of the original D2 files, but the instructions tell you which, and you can back those up if you ever want out of the mod and back into VanillaD2. Rule of thumb for this: read directions, read the readme.txt files.

Charms/Inventory space: Yeah- the inventory space is HUGE but to tell you the truth, i'm still getting beat and progress is slow. there's no p8 with the gear i'm wearing, that's for sure. most of the time i'm at p3. and the charms are not as good, AND most of them you find are grand, so i wouldn't be put off thinking that V&K made this too easy. Furthermore, all the one's i've found are like..4-10 Cold Dmg...a great boon at first but mostly worthless at higher levels.

The ME mod is refreshing to me. it's different but not so much to where you have to toss your accrued D2 logic in the can. it's got more rares that are useful, and you can make some great armor from all the pieces you find. plus, you know..it's middle earth suff and there are some new monsters in the game.

me likey. :clap:

11. gravitysrainbow

oh yeah and Artagas- i haven't made it to hell yet, but based on what i have experienced it will not be easy.

looking forward to the drops, however. lets see..i think i found a page at somepoint where the guy was posting some of his drops on a website..let me look...

12. gravitysrainbow

13. TenYearsGone

TenYearsGone IncGamers Member

gravitysrainbow - the site didn't come up

I've always been interested in this mod. One day, maybe...

14. Toppo

Toppo IncGamers Member

15. gravitysrainbow

Hm..yeah the link isn't launching..well, just copy it off the page and paste it into the browser. that should take you there. :thumbsup:

well, i'm hoping to maybe foster a group on this site that would want to join in some open games. so let me know!

16. gravitysrainbow

thanks, Toppo. :)

17. Gabriel74

Gabriel74 IncGamers Member

Just installed this mod, and wow, I like it a lot. I am not very far, but I think this will be really refreshing.

18. gravitysrainbow

Yeah- i didn't want to go peddling it too hard but frankly, i find a lot of the tweeks enhance the gameplay. Did you grab the PlugY inventory expander?

Soon, you'll have inventory issues so you're gonna want something. :)

19. OpethAZ

OpethAZ IncGamers Member

Well after all the talk I decided to give this mod a while and shelve Valhalla. Holy cow Batman... I had to go back to town and get healed a few times from just an undead. I decided to take a swipe at taking a Fishymancer through.

One thing I like is the + attributes on items... I was able to equip some decent rares fairly quick and get moving... the Blood Raven equivalent was actually not too bad and so far I have 2 skellies and Gumby. Still waiting to see a unique/set.

20. gravitysrainbow

Gumby's always handy. :thumbsup:

Yeah- the attributes thing and the additional power ascribed to gems and jewels is a real life saver. That what i was referring to when i said that you can create a variety of "good" or useful items without having to wait for that one or two uniques or sets that mesh with your build and char level at any given moment.

if you haven't you should read the cubes and runes page on the V&K ME Mod wepage. I'd link to it but i gotta split.

:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.