Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The MFL

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by DougTheHead2, Mar 18, 2005.

1. DougTheHead2

DougTheHead2 IncGamers Member

The MFL

Hello, and welcome to todays broadcast of the inaugural thread of the MFL.

WHAT IS IT: Well, its a tourney of sorts, where SPF'ers can enter characters that will have weekly matchups in swiss-style play. It is unnecessary to create new chars, or do anything you dont already do. This would be for bragging rights, and some fun competition. This is still in the general design phase, and I am leaning towards letting SPF'ers enter up to 3 chars, but be warned, it is required the char MF 2 hours a week solely for the MFL.

HOW DOES IT WORK: Well, lets get everybody to enter some chars, I'll whip up a swiss tourney, and each week we will have a head to head, best-item-in-only-2-hours wins matchup. I am unsure how uber rares/charms/runes should work, I am leaning towards a more friendly happy-go-lucky format where the competitors can agree who won for the week. After a week is up, a results thread is created, and everyone posts their 1 best item from their 0-2 hour max MFing. With such a limited time frame, results should be very fun to watch, and no one should be dominant forever.

WHO IS GOING TO DO ALL THE WORK?: I will. I love stats and numbers. I'll keep the W-L board updated and use swiss pairings to match everyone for the new week.

WHERE WOULD WE RUN?: Well, anywhere that character can. We don't need to restrict areas. I think it would create interesting dynamics, as someone could fit in 20 baal runs, or 200 pindle runs, or 50 pit runs, who knows. The focus would be on the character vs character lucky streak.

WHY THE HELL WOULD I DO THIS?: Because it sounds like loads of fun, and is more RPG'ish in the fact that it isn't just our forum names. It is our beloved characters, going head to head in a fun quick matchup with our fellow members. Unless we get a huge turnout, tourneys shouldn't last much longer than 2 months apiece, as we would set up a top 4 or top 8 bracket single elimination to decide winner.

WHAT WOULD THE WINNER GET?: Well, I am up for suggestions. I am really against MFO style winner takes items. I am leaning towards an entry fee of crafting/cubing supplies and the top 1-2 split them up.

So, what I am unsure about. Well, it doesn't have to be swiss style. The prizes could change. We could have a set place to run for each ~2 month tourney. We could change the amount of time each match can take, but I want this to be a fairly quick shot so everyone can join, and no free time bandits can dominate. We could stop match play for any real MFO's, but its probably not necessary, just start and stop a watch during your 5000 runs and those 2 hours would be qualified for the weeks match. What happens when you no longer have a chance to make the top X? Forced drop to save me time, or just keep playing for pride?

PROS: Hey, its only 2 hours! You can take your favorite char and make a name for him/herself, going up against the best of the best here, and even have a shot at winning! It only takes one drop, or crap luck. Best part, there really isn't any reason to get mad about losing, as we would just be talking jewels/pgems (though loads of them). We could concievably get LOTS of people in here, and really have some fun.

CONS: Maybe this wouldn't stand out enough, maybe the prizes or allure won't draw people in. There might not be a good way to determine the outcome, though I bet we could arbitrate a panel of judges to deem whos drop was better if its in rares/runes/charms category.

I'm up for suggestions, guys, this is a pet idea of mine, I would like to see it grow into something. I mean, its only 2 hours a week if you want in, and you can play against other people's monster characters and still have fun.

EDIT: ah yes, the MFL would stand for the Magic Find League. ;)

2. DougTheHead2

I am not sure I got my whole idea across. What I envision is just a tournament, where you enter a character, and proceed to play other forummers characters until a winner is decided. The key here is an equal playing field, as people can MF Meph in NM, cows, Andy, Pindle, anything, and the 2 hour limit will keep people from getting too crazy in their run number. It would even allow us to break from tc charts, say for example "my biggins bonnet beats your harpoonists charm", or "my Ist trumps your rare balrog blade."

I mean, a weekly MF competition that is fun and only takes 2 hours? Where the hammerdins and LFzons have a blood feud, whle the blizz's and the strafers have a lovechild! :scratches head: I think the dynamics of forummers interaction in this quick hit weekly dose would be a nice thing, a good activity.

3. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

Count me in.

I like crafting supplies for prizes, but maybe others will want to bet and win more than some perfects.

I also don't know what is the swiss tourney type? Well I didn't hear about that in my country.

EDIT: also we need to specify clearly who will be the winner (what are the values of items, which items can be included etc.).

4. DougTheHead2

Swiss style is basically winners playing winners and losers playing losers, it really sets up the 3-0 guys together, the 2-1 guys together, etc. You basically play someone who has had as much success as you have.

As far as clear winners, i want it to be more of a general item competition. Say, a perfect pair of war travs is worth more than another dam IK Maul, but in the MFO the IK maul wins. I think, with nothing but fun on the line, we could agree whose 1 item wins. I mean, if I see a +1 cold skills +40 life GC, I think I should win over the guy who just found his 8th lightsabre. TC lists would be the basis, but the wiggle room is very important.

It would really be more about BEST ITEM WINS, not RAREST ITEM WINS. I hope I have conveyed my intent with my examples, it will really make people pickmore things up!

5. Shadolupin

Shadolupin IncGamers Member

I like it. Count me in if i dont have to MP.
    I have 3 chars theat could do it, my lvl 78 hammerin, he can do hell meph of andy runs,
    My lvl 72 lit trapper, she can do anythin in Nightmare(no hell for her)
    And my lvl 61 zelot(uhhh cows or nm meph or andy :p )
    And yes all my chars have their own mf gear(from the days before atma)(its like armor with ptopazes and helms and goldwraps and ect...) :D

6. sunbearie

sunbearie IncGamers Member

Cool, I like the idea of winning crafting supplies :)

7. JihadJesus

JihadJesus IncGamers Member

A tounrament that only takes 2 hours a week, doesn'rtrequire a new character, and isn't insanely restrictive? What a great chance to interact with the forum members! My javazon ElectricLady will pwn you newbs!

Sidenote: I don't pick up a ton of crafting supplies, so I don't have many for an entry fee. What other options might there be?

8. Masas

Masas IncGamers Member

2 Hours? Not enough time IMHO, it would rely(sp?) on 1 uber drop too much.

9. Cormallon

Cormallon IncGamers Member

I don't think so. Since we'll have pairs of competitors, both would just start MFing and finally compare what you found. Sure, an uber drop would win this one match, but in the long run a single won week wouldn't count much.

10. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

This sounds fun. (I need motivation to do any MF. Guess how many runs I've done since the MFO? Yup, a big ol' zero. Of course, a lot of that is my tournament addiction. :D )

I also like the idea of being able to run any area you want. Do you run NM Andy a zillion times or do a few Baal runs where anything can drop? (I am biased since I don't have any Hell Meph/Pindle/Baal runners. :) )

As far as deciding who wins, I think the idea of a panel of judges would work best. Maybe find 5 people willing to do it. (That way, you will always have at least 3 people not involved in a particular matchup since obviously you don't want someone judging their own items.)

Anala is definately in. Those monsters in the Pit have had it much too easy lately.

Pheonix wants in on the fun too. She will most likely have to run in NM, but she's ready to take on all of those Hell Baal runners with their magic find and such. ;)

11. mad.as.a.meataxe

mad.as.a.meataxe IncGamers Member

I'd certainly be a starter for a tourney along these lines. I enjoy a competition and feel that bragging rights is as good a prize as any (even knowing they're just temporary) and the fun of interacting with others as you win/lose/destroy your computer in a fit of pique is what it's all about. Crafting supplies aren't of any great interest to me though I'm happy to supply them. Any winnings on my part would just be donated back for the next prize pool. I'd also be happy to be a judge (though there's certainly members here with more knowledge than I). If you have a pool of judges then you could just assign an odd number (probably three or five) randomly picked from the pool to judge each match-up making sure of course that no one is judging their own match.

Kiara and Jezebel would certainly be starters and possibly one other (probably Bob the Builder or the imaginatively named Skellimancer).

12. ron

ron IncGamers Member

I love the idea, and will definately participate.

I have an idea for judging winners. I agree with the idea that best item, not just rarest(as in the MFO) wins. If the players cannot agree who is the winner between themselves, maybe just pm three random competitors a list of the items, and let them decide which set of finds is better. It would require all who enter to CLEARLY understand this before the competition starts. I recall some crying about rules after the last MFO. I would love to see a friendly fast competition.

Great idea and I hope this kicks off soon!

13. Sint Nikolaas

Sint Nikolaas IncGamers Member

Sure I'll play. lvl 95 meteorb can run anything.

However, I would like to play in this without winning prizes. If I get matched up and for some reason I get a better item then him/her I would like my name to stand on top of his/hers and be happy with it. Further more, I don't accept stashes anymore, so handing me one is somewhat silly :)

''Mil & Sam''

ps. I don't get why people need prizes anyway.. you play this game for fun right? .. Maybe I'm alone on that one.

14. Cauthon

Cauthon IncGamers Member

I like Sint's idea on the no prizes idea; I play the game for fun and to find some gear for myself, so this would just be an additional way of adding some fun to my life.

I'm potentially interested, but would like some clarification on whether or not HC/SC matters; if the 2 hour run would have to occur at a set time, or if we could just be provided with the matchup and have a period of days in which to submit our results, etc. The whole system depends on our honour, so I think allowing 3-4 days or a week for the run to be completed would be workable. The only reason I ask about this is that I'm finding my play time somewhat limited and unpredictable these days.

Failing all else, I would be willing to sit on a panel of judges to review match results if we decide that is the way to go.

15. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

Some people like prizes, some not, some play HC, some not.

I personally like to go with my self-found items. But I like prizes too, so I like the original "crafting supplies prize" idea very much (I can then use them for cubing, actually making my items...). I am short of skillers and good jewels too, so some Pgems are needed....

Going without prizes has one advantage. Hardcore characters can compete with softcore characters without difficulties.

Or we can have some voluntary entry prizes. Some players can join without giving a prize. They can take the honor for being the first, but the prize stash will go to the first players who paid the entry prize.

I have one more idea. When the new round begins, each two of duelants can set the rules for their own challenges. (for example no time limit,only specific area...)

These are only my ideas; if you see them good, let me know (otherwise, let me know too :))

16. Cauthon

Cauthon IncGamers Member

That was mainly my thinking - no prizes eliminates any worry on that score. Or else we need a separate HC and SC competition.

But using the "crafting supplies prize" makes a good deal of sense; I collect a bunch of that stuff anyways. And Pgems aren't really all that expensive or tough to get, so people won't be going crazy competing for them.

We could always leave it up to the winner as to whether or not they want to accept the prize - if not, it just stays in the stash.

17. Cauthon

Cauthon IncGamers Member

whoops. double post. My bad.

18. Sint Nikolaas

Sint Nikolaas IncGamers Member

IMO there's no need to set a specific time to get runs done, if I have to compete against someone in Australia, he'd have to get up really early :D Just find a day within one week where you can do two hours of constructive running. Post a message in a seperate thread let's say at 1pm. Start running for 2 hours, Post your finding(s) at 3 pm. That way everyone knows what time you've run and what item(s) you found.

''Mil & Sam''

19. Gabriel74

Gabriel74 IncGamers Member

I am also uninterested in any prizes. What interests me the most about this is the fact that it might interest me. That sounds weird, but I am almost done with playing, so anything would be cool.

20. Fafner

Fafner IncGamers Member

Great idea Doug. I can't play for frau reasons (she'd kill me if I played D2 for 2 hours when I'm leaving for a year in about 5 weeks).

As for prizes, maybe random richer players could donate a decent high TC, or skiller. I'd be willing to throw something in. But I like the wager system, that way you know what's on the table.