Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The low physical damage Dreamer

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Davidus, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Davidus

Davidus IncGamers Member

The low physical damage Dreamer

i dont have this char(yet:p i want to start one today:) so suggestions are welcomed

why a low physical damage Dreamer? i want to make a melee character who can run CS but dont need to worry about IM:)

weapon: 6 socket phase blade
    lets talk about this a little bit:) i need the lowest phs damage possible with 4fpa zeal. double Dream gives the 1337 damage and lvl25 conviction breaks the lightning immunes so i don't need phs damage to deal with immunes.
    so its have a big adventage: almost IM immune
    and a big disadventage: no life leach
    how i counter this?
    90 allresist
    redemption
    def, block, pdr

equipment

nr1 rule: avoid +dam + EDam +deadly strike and +skill items(above +5)

weapon:
    6 sock phase blade but what to put in to the sockets?:p
    we use ias gloves+cats eye so we need only 2 shaels
    4 socket left

2x shael
    4xber(80% CB hello:p)
    or
    3x ber+cham(i like to freeze:)
    or
    3xber+um(open wounds)

armor: guardian angel
    +15 to max resists
    +1 skills
    + 30% faster block rate(very important because Dream sield offer 0)
    nr1 choice!

helm: high def Dream

Shield: high def Dream

Belt: we need some PDR so Verduno'sis the best but Thundergod's is 2nd

amu:
    Cat's Eye 20 ias(-1 shael), frw, 25 dex, def

rings:
    raven frost is a must for CBF
    +
    dwarf star and you are fire immune
    or
    wisp projector for lighning immune(if you use verdungo)
    or
    carrion wind is nice too for damage taken goes to mana, ctc tornado and poison resist
    or
    just another raven frost:) 40 dex is better than 20

boots:
    Sandstorm
    or
    waterwalk
    or
    a rare/crafted with frw/resists/mf etc

gloves:
    lava gout 20%ias(-1 shael) ctc enchant and 24% fire res
    or
    a rare 20 ias with resists

charms:
    fire and cold damage charms
    resist charms(we aim for 90 allres)
    anni+torch

merc:
    i hate mercenaries:p thats why i going to make this char... i dont need an infinity wearing dumbass who kill himself 10 times/run
    but a prayer merc with insight never hurts especially for someone who cant leach:)

suggestions? ideas?

2. ProfessionalBerg

ProfessionalBerg IncGamers Member

Re: The low physical damage Dreamer

I suggest Crescent Moon in a Phaseblade. It has the all-important -light res, which will help you fight broken immunities more effectively. Besides, it's got ITD, OW, IAS and STATIC(omg omg omg!!!111oneoneone). This will help you CUT through enemies like no tomorrow. Of course, it has ED%, but it's not that high of an ED% (180-220% on a Phaseblade will end up with (86-99) to (98-112) damage - not that high. Sure, IM will hurt you 3x more, but that's still quite little, considering you have little to no hard points in Zeal/Sacrifice.

Also, a high resists paladin shield is, of course, a must for a Dreamer. Since Dream doesn't have ICB, I'd suggest a Sacred Targe. However, Guardian Angel provides 20 ICB, so you cam go with something more solid, like Sacred Rondache (beyond that, the requirements become too steep to justify the extra defense). Aim for 35+ base resists.

3. Davidus

Davidus IncGamers Member

problem is even with only 200ED 1 zeal costs 1/3 of my life:( + i need to socket GA with 15 ias jewel so thats -8%PDR not to mention the -80 CB from the phase blade:D
    but in the other hand we have -35 light res and static witch is godly
    but im only lvl11 so i have time to think about it:p

4. UberB

UberB IncGamers Member

Okay, I agree that IM is every melee fighter's nemesis and is incredibly annoying and downright lethal if you get oneshotted at level 98 with ~500k exp left for level 99. :cry: But face the fact, you can't just charge up blindly and Zeal away without care for IM. You will die even with a low damage weapon. Have a care with the OK's, charge in and let them decrepify you, and then CAREFULLY zeal them to death. It's not worth it to not use Crescent Moon because you'll die from IM because frankly, you'll die from almost any item if you get IM'ed. Stick with the Crescent, the -35 light res is godly, coupled with nice ITD and static field, all for the price of an Um.

5. Master Zap

Master Zap IncGamers Member

Just to point out that nothing prohibits you from using a good damage wep for the rest of the game other then chaos. and worldstone. It's not like your going to run into im in other places. You can thank me later for this pertinent info. Leaching even if it's via lifetap is handy with something that does phy damage. This will make you much tougher in the end.

Now about chaos?
    Make a passion wep. Use the Bezerk skill this grants you, and then you'll still deal your light but some magic damage too and not have to worry about IM (unless you get mana burned)

6. Davidus

Davidus IncGamers Member

i don't like to swap gear and i don't think i need to with 7k average lightning damage:p
    and i don't like to use dracul's or other items thats grant me non pala skills because its feels like im playing with an abomination:D

7. Master Zap

Master Zap IncGamers Member

Having played many a dreamer, auradin, rift/ vor blah blah blah, you overstate how good dream actually is. One it's not 7K avg, it's "7K" max so your going to vary here. There will still be a good number of either immunes your conviction cannot break, or immunes that when broken you then do1/5th damage. Basically what I am saying is your going to need another form of damage because dream alone will not cut the butter for everything in game.

I think it's odd that your going to avoid using common items like dracs or an os skill but you have no compunction running a setup with 4 ber runes + the runes needed to make your dreams, and you stated will be using carrion ring which has the os ctc abomination you so "abhor". Its peculiar to want to build around something that exists in only 3 spots of the entire game and handycap yourself in the other 95%. But it's your boat, whatever floats it.

For the ammy take a peak at a life everlasting with up to 25 pdr and a 2nd mod. Boot's I'd recommend goblin toes. The cb will greatly assist you in killing speed. :brainiac:

another goody to mention is Rift , when made a war scept, the actual phy damage is minimal. This makes great use of your conviction aura and will cover immunes for you.

Lawbringer in like a long sword or something similar does almost negligible physical damage, it offers some other elemental damages and then grants you decrep which means less damage taken and slow. A win win.

8. Davidus

Davidus IncGamers Member

my current "dreamer"(****ed up stats thats why i roll a new one) only got the helm but he eat CS alive. only thing that stop me is IM:p so if 3,5k is enough 7k is more than enough.
    i like to handicap myself because i play this game... since release?:p
    never liked goblin toe because of the lack of FRW but with cat's eye i give it a try(100% CB with 4 ber phase:D)

9. steveo

steveo IncGamers Member

I ran chaos with my dreamer using a 6 soc phase blade with 6 p lightning facets in it. For armour, I used a 4 socket archon lifer with 4 p lightning facets in it.
    Iron maiden was never a problem for me and I ripped through enemies like butter.

10. Stevomoo

Stevomoo IncGamers Member

a point on your first weapons cb is physical damage which means instant death if it trigers while you have im on you.

edit if you want to mele safley in cs then make a zerker its the only way you can be 100% safe

11. ProfessionalBerg

ProfessionalBerg IncGamers Member

Crushing Blow does not work with IM.