Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The Lion's Toes #8

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Flux, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Flux

Flux Administrator

The Lion's Toes #8

http://diabloii.net/columnists/lions-toes08.shtml

Leon's 8th column talks about World of Warcraft, World of Diablo, and the sorts of fun we'll all have playing this real game, and potential future game. My favorite quote:

"You know those guys who spam the public channels with their “I hate gays/Goths/Blizzard†monologues? You know those guys who justify the use of Maphack and Chickenhack by stating in no uncertain terms that “Hardcore is too difficult� You know those level 5 guys who follow you around begging for items, or failing that smear your monitor with cries of “TP†and “PP�

Say hi to your adventuring companions. And may I welcome you to the World of Warcraft. Monsters to your left, cyanide to your right."

2. Jugalator

Jugalator IncGamers Member

Hmm, this was a kind of funny article, since I assume it's meant to be funny and not to be taken seriously. Because, if we speak seriously about WoW and Blizzard fans, a whole lot of "low life" will of course go away when they can't just jump onto a game and play for free after a one-time fee. People playing WoW will *want* to play WoW and not spend their own money while spamming in channels. Maybe some will still do that, but most likely very few when compared to in Battle.net games. I doubt the fans of WoW will play much different than fans of other MMORPG's at least.

I find it surprising that this never occured to the author, and why I just assume it's written as a funny article about spammers. Not that we have never seen *that* before.

Anyway, that is the curse and blessing of having free multiplayer services. Very accessible. Too accessible in some cases. It is absolutely no coincidence Battle.net has become what it has.

3. Codename_Snake

Codename_Snake IncGamers Member

In the end this is really just another article about morons infesting the realms with their immaturity and disrespect through the anonymity of the internet.

The writing is ho-hum. Seems like too much is trying to get said. No need to throw in a 'quip' EVERY OTHER LINE...

4. Nword

Nword Banned

I think that was an unfortunate low for his columns.

Kind of like reading most science textbooks, that = :sleep: and/or :scratch:

5. Aerin

Aerin IncGamers Member

Response time!

Jugalator: To be honest, the thought never occurred to me. What did occur to me was the issue of 'brand loyalty'; that fans of Everquest will wait for Everquest 2, while fans of Warcraft will embrace WoW. I can't claim this as truth though - it's just speculation. I've seen a lot of people state how excited they are about WoW, and most (if not all) were Warcraft III players looking for something new to move on to. The same way many moved on from Starcraft to Warcraft III (purely because it happens to be the newest thing on the block. And I have no right to criticise, as I was one of them).

And obviously it wasn't a serious article. Except for me not being able to afford WoW. That much is true.

Codename_Snake: I'd quip every line if I could. I love my petty quibbles.

Nword: Wonder if it has anything to do with the intensive IT study I was doing at the time of writing? Something to ponder, certainly. Perhaps an indication of my derivative tendencies? (you asleep yet?)

And as always, I'll claim to try harder in future. I aim to please and annoy in equal doses, after all.

Next column I'll be discussing extensively why Frozen Orb needs a ten point damage nerf.

-Leon

6. Moal

Moal IncGamers Member

redsf

Even the artice didnt come with anything new, i found it quite funny.
    I loved this : "
    Say hi to your adventuring companions. And may I welcome you to the World of Warcraft. Monsters to your left, cyanide to your right."

Sadly the begging, spamming and and being "l33t" are not limited to bliz games.

Take cs, since cs isnt made by a company the anti blizz is replaced by anti "insert most recent version number" or ultima online (pay pr month game on top) loads of ppl "macro"(=botting on d2) , buy items and finds ways to cheat(they have/had duping as well)

7. Vladicus

Vladicus IncGamers Member

Please don't.
    *tear*

8. Jugalator

Jugalator IncGamers Member

I'm member of another Diablo II community (among other games) with hundreds of active members, and a lot are excited about WoW over there, many being pure D2 players. This includes me, and if I didn't pay attention to WoW, I would personally feel that I'd risk missing out a wonderful game. I think it's as simple as: game is good and get lots of nice publicity? Many people will play it if they can. Or put another way; making the question the opposite, why would players not want to play WoW if it's good? I don't think I can find as many reasons to this, as that can explain why they'd want to pay attention to the game.

Actually, WoW might fit better for D2 players since it isn't an RTS game after all, but more like an large scale RPG where you can do a whole lot more than in Diablo II in a giant world. WoW should improve upon D2 in almost all fields, but the same can't be said about Warcraft III. If you liked Warcraft III, nothing is saying you'll like a MMORPG really, since it's not the same kind of game. However, there's a good chance you'll find it exciting if you're a D2 player that like computer RPG's with character development/planning, monster bashing in cooperative games, item crafting, questing, etc. Since that's exactly what WoW will let you do, and much much more. Yes, I'm aware of custom "RPG maps" in Warcraft III, but not really counting those since they are extremely "light" versions of RPG's. I find them still being much like regular scenario maps and not really role playing games.

9. Ferrous

Ferrous IncGamers Member

As always, I enjoy your article for some light reading, when I need something to cheer me up. This time though, there seemed to be a bit of lack of focus, perhaps hidden by some of the jokes you made.

10. TmrwsDream

TmrwsDream IncGamers Member

I've read every article so far, and each time I manage to find something to laugh about. While some people will complain about the way you go about things, the "non-chalant" way you go about making fun of something that some people obviously take too seriously. I personally love that. I look forward to seeing more from you. Despite what some might say about your writing "ability" I love it. It's exactly what it needs to be. Short, to the point, and so full of small jokes that most people will laugh just about that, if they have any sense of humor.

11. Xecras

Xecras IncGamers Member

I love your articles. They never fail to be funny.

'Nuff said

12. Beatboxer

Beatboxer Member

Your article inspires anger in mean. Anger at your redundance and ignorance.:grrr:
    Since the topic is in no way serious, who cares right? I'll get over it.... :evil:

And what is your articel but another "let's hate on Blizzard" monologue?

Why write an article and make statements about something you openly admit you know nothing about?! Why not just hold your tounge?

Your thought could have matured abit before you published it...this is more like a draft you should have re-written, the way I see it...I would have thought more about my content before releasing such-ness as this.

But hey who's perfect...even guest Authors hit the "submit" button too quick sometimes I'd think.

Your not a pony. Please NEVER neigh at me, or anybody, ever again. :scared:

Thanks you.:bow:

13. Aerin

Aerin IncGamers Member

Jugalator: You make plenty of good points. Perhaps I'm a little blinded since I'm a fan of all of Blizzard's games. I'm always clamouring for the next one to be released. I'm always marginally disappointed as well (for instance, even though I love D2, I was expecting something much less linear).

I guess we'll find out soon enough, anyway. Though I wait with dread more than anticipation.

Beatboxer: You think I honestly haven't been following WoW? I mean granted, I've hardly been refreshing the battle.net homepage nine times an hour in some sort of vainglorious hope to be the first to stumble across new info, but I have been keeping tabs on what's going on. It's my duty as a Blizzard fan (or something to that effect).

I lie a lot. I also take a lot of liberties with my subjects of choice. Live with it eh. :flip:

Vladicus: The next article is about Frozen Orb needing a nerf, but not in the way you might imagine.

-Leon

14. Beatboxer

Beatboxer Member

Ok have fun. Nice avi. :drink:

15. DI-Thanatos

DI-Thanatos Banned

pls do not say FFX-2 is a bad sequal cause it absolutely isn't a bad sequal if you ask me. i really enjoy playing it. the only thing i think is that it could've been a bit longer, more like the time FFX took me. for the rest its just another great ff game.

16. Vladicus

Vladicus IncGamers Member

Sequel, dude... Say it with me: SEEE-KWW-EL!

17. simplyLost

simplyLost IncGamers Member

.. you're forgetting one small thing with this point.. you're forgetting all the lil kiddies who just have to blink an eye and their parents will fork over money for them to do what ever they please.. if you have dsl.. and you're paying to play.. but you're in school.. why does it matter if you leave the game running with your character sitting in a channel.. spamming with a spam bot.. which.. more than likely will appear shortly after the game's release..

-Lost

18. Jgohan86

Jgohan86 IncGamers Member

Bah screw WoW.... even if i had the comp id choose Everquest 2 over it anytime... simply because the EQ story is amazing and the company that did it PROVED that they can make a large scale game and improve it over time, with a NICE service at that... i think d2 was the last game i ever bought from Blizzard.. and i don't regret it.. no i don't!

19. Beatboxer

Beatboxer Member

You should gohan...regret it I mean...Blizzard games are very cool, no matter their various short comings. The everquest game/story I've heard mainly bad things about.

Maybe because I haven't checked any sony (that the company right?) sites....Or maybe because Everquest is not really that good anymore. :evil:

WoW looks realy great from the info released so far. The comp requirements are looking to be much lower than EQ2 as well btw, without much difference in quality it seems....

Blizzard has done some really, really games....Why is there so many detractors? Just because they take long with their projects? Or don't want to waste money fighting loser e-bayers?

Really. Why be all neg on Blizzard? If I was among the design team over there I would flame this type of content furiously!:grrr: (Or, at least, I'd want too. :drink: )