Cenerae

Diabloii.Net Member
Forum name: Cenerae
Character name: Fatalis
Class: Summoner
WoC: Wand
Level: 1
(Way)points: 1

Your description of summoner applies to necros who choose to just use a golem + curses to kill, I believe? :smiley:

Rizzo

Diabloii.Net Member
Cenerae said:
Your description of summoner applies to necros who choose to just use a golem + curses to kill, I believe?
That really depends.

If you have one golem and no other summons, and you let your merc and golem do all the killing, then yes - you're a summoner. If you yourself engage i battle, you can be melee or ranged. You can have a bow and shoot monsters from afar and be ranged like that. U see? One summoned helper is allowed as a utility. As long as you kill yourself as ranged, and not just stand passively by, you can be a ranged class.

Cenerae

Diabloii.Net Member
hm, wouldn't that be cheating?

Sure I'll happily pick up a bow and plink away between curses, if it would get me extra points for virtually no change in playstyle...

Rizzo

Diabloii.Net Member
Cenerae said:
hm, wouldn't that be cheating?
As with most other things, it depends on your own point of view. If you decide that you actually are doing most of the killings with your bow, then you be the ranger. If your helpers are doing the most killings, then u be teh summoner. :smiley: I leave it to you.

Cenerae

Diabloii.Net Member
Use your own judgement: what's going to kill more often, a golem + IM combo, or a necromancer archer-wannabe? :tongue:

Rizzo

Diabloii.Net Member
lol. I see your point. But u could be a melee and use poisondagger.
A single summoned helper + merc can be a utility. It depends on your style of play. If you actively play a part in the slaying of monster with a poisoned dagger and stay in hand-to-hand combat, then you should imho be considered melee. I don't know how much damage a necro can do with a bow but I guess it's minimum, and as such you wouldn't play a part in the killing process.

Cenerae

Diabloii.Net Member
Well I guess I will see how it goes. Using pdagger might work, so I'll give that a shot and update accordingly when I start, if that's ok.

I still figure hiding in a corner whimpering and letting my golem kill everything is most likely, however :grin:

Rizzo

Diabloii.Net Member
Cenerae said:
I still figure hiding in a corner whimpering and letting my golem kill everything is most likely, however :grin:
rofl :wink3:

Forum name: Rizzo
Character name: Javelina
Class: Ranged
WoC: Composite bow of Worth
Level: 13
(Way)points: 3
Health: 115 / 142

From now on please post your health and WoC, like above. :smiley:

Bloodfire

Diabloii.Net Member
Forum name: Bloodfire
Character name: Mandy
Class: melee
WoC: 2 chipped topaz katar, katar of flame
Level: 10
(Way)points: 2
Health: 0 / 122

I thought about going after Coldcrow for a very long time before I decided I was close enough to lvling to lvl half way through the fight... I drew Coldcrow away from her minions with psy hammer, and pulled her to a part of the cave I had already cleared. I put on Burst of Speed and took her down with a full charged Tiger Strike plus Dragon Claw to finish. Her cold blast took me down to 9. This is when I start to panic, my only way to heal would be to enter back into the fray. With 9 life I take down 2 of her minions, a sliver is left before I lvl up, before I know it one of her minions snipes me from across the screen and I'm down to 2. I run, she shoots. I die. :sad2:

I'm re-starting... just not sure if I want to go melee again or not...

Rizzo

Diabloii.Net Member
Bloodfire said:
I run, she shoots. I die. :sad2:
Melee certainly is tough. Good thing that you are allowed a restart. I hope you'll enter again. You have to be very careful...

I'm slowly progressing thru act 1:

WoC: Triumphant Composite bow of Flame
Level: 15
(Way)points: 5
Health: 179 / 179

Nightfish

Diabloii.Net Member
Damn you Rizzo I just read past the "RWM is allowed" part to realise using the runewords is forbidden XD. So much for my edge bow...

Bloodfire

Diabloii.Net Member
This time I'm going for a melee necromancer, with one summon and bone armour and poison dagger.

Forum name: Bloodfire
Character name: Nick
WoC: dagger
Level: 1
(Way)points: 1
Health: 45/45

Cenerae

Diabloii.Net Member
Forum name: Cenerae
Character name: Fatalis
Class: Summoner/Melee
WoC: Azure Dirk of Quality
Level: 11
(Way)points: 3
Health: 106/106

I'll leave the scoring up to you, as I'm just not sure. Clay golem is lvl 5 and pdagger lvl 3. Strategy is to let the golem engage, circle round and stab the weaker enemies in the back and retreat, stab, retreat. vs ranged opponents my rogue usually downs them before I can actually reach them. Currently, my rogue is dropping things far faster than I can (she has a 3 socket short bow, 2 chip topaz/1 chip sapphire), but that's normal for this part of the game.

Engaging the shaman is interesting - I found out quickly that their fireballs didn't hurt much but they did add up. And they usually shot one in my face if I dodged and ran up to them. New tactic: kill a fallen, the shaman will revive it. While it's reviving, run up and melee it, it will then use it's dagger not it's firebolt attack.

Blood raven was...interesting. Despite having a 40 point bone armor (thanks to a skill shrine), it didn't help as blood raven had a poison bow. Came out of that with very little hp remaining, but levelled through the crypt easily. Ironically, she dropped me death's gloves.

Rizzo

Diabloii.Net Member
Cenerae said:
Ironically, she dropped me death's gloves.
Nice :thumbsup:
If you continue to backstab your enemies throughout the game I think you should qualify as melee.

Updates from Javelina:

WoC: Beryl Composite bow of Slaying
Level: 17
(Way)points: 6
Health: 202 / 217

No NDE's so far. And not really much to report. The most feared enemy at this stage is the skeleton archer, since they can stand a certain amount of pain before succombing. The rest is pretty straightforward... so far...

Nightfish said:
So much for my edge bow...
edge bow? Already??! Or is "edge" a runeword?

salvo

Diabloii.Net Member
Forum name: salvo
Character name: bang
WoC: shield
Level: 15
(Way)points: 9 x 3
Health: 195/195

one point on Defiance, charge and rest on smite.
I disagree about rerunning area is limited to five times, it should be unlimited since we need to rerun certain 'save' area to level up (heal). Five times is ok for normal difficulty but it's gonna hard be starting from NM.

quoted from 1st post:
A melee champion is a character that engages in hand-to-hand combat with any monster he or she makes contact with. He or she does not stand back while awaiting the destruction of foes by hired mercenaries or summoned helpers, though may very well retreat and organize battle with strategic planning.
I'm certain we all know how a melee fighter works.

the bolded part are IMO are impossible to do, you can't survive against elemental & ranged attack without relying on the merc.

---

Returned the molus to charsi but the reward was a crap, then a rare spiked dropped to compensate.
got two great charms, really helps for andy:

Viridian Small Charm of Strength
Keep in Inventory to Gain Bonus
Required Level: 10
Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
Item Level: 5
Fingerprint: 0x35916399
+1 to Strength
Poison Resist +7%

Beryl Large Charm of Shock
Keep in Inventory to Gain Bonus
Required Level: 5
Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
Item Level: 11
Fingerprint: 0x94f2f4f7
Poison Resist +6%
Adds 1-5 lightning damage

rerunning catacombs to level up before facing Andariel.

Rizzo

Diabloii.Net Member
salvo said:
the bolded part are IMO are impossible to do, you can't survive against elemental & ranged attack without relying on the merc.
Good luck against Andy Salvo. I hope you make it.
I know that it's impossible to run head-first into the fray in this tournament. I was just to give an idea of it. I think we all know what a melee character is.

Vang

Diabloii.Net Member
Just got back home, and was about to start my necromancer, but I have to clarify one last thing before I decide to start.

Effectively a Melee Character that completes normal wins? Just seems a little odd. If so I may have to decide against a necromancer.

Rizzo

Diabloii.Net Member
Vang said:
Effectively a Melee Character that completes normal wins? Just seems a little odd. If so I may have to decide against a necromancer.
No. A ranged character can get the same amount of points thru half of NM.