RIP – killed by a Leaper

Forum name: mwille
Character name: Still_Thirsty
Class: Assassin / Melee
WoC: Rare Flail/Zakarum’s Hand
Level: 57
(Way)points: (59) 177
Health: 0/670 (over 800 w/ items)

I found Zakarum’s Hand (unique rune scepter w/ 6% chance for level 5 Blizzard) just before getting to Duriel & wish that I hadn’t. Although Duriel wasn’t a problem (w/ my shadow along), I’m convinced that using it is what killed me. I was really struggling along after switching, but just thought it was because the monsters were getting harder. Then it dawned on me that my new blizzard maker only had a range of 1 instead of the 3 on my flail. With the extra range on the flail I was kicking back most of the monsters before they had a chance to touch me, but the scepter was letting them get too close. By the time I figured it out, I was around 150 life with more than halfway to go to level. I finally succumbed to a leaper that wasn’t cloaked with less than 1/3 experience to go & before I could find the Lower Kurast waypoint (I had also skipped the Great Marsh).

I really enjoyed my first tournament & would like to thank Rizzo for organizing it. I’ve created many strange character builds trying to make the game more challenging, but never thought to try “lifelessâ€. I’ll have to see how far I can get some of the other character classes using the tourney rules.

I wish the best of luck to all who are still alive.

somethingsin

Diabloii.Net Member
MW, that's just insane...
Melee char in act 3 nightmare, without healing..

boggles the mind..

speaking of boggleing, anyone ever heard of the word game called boggle?

Might be a dutch only thing

mwille

Diabloii.Net Member
somethingsin said:
MW, that's just insane...
Melee char in act 3 nightmare, without healing..
I was just as surprised. When we started the tourney, I thought NOBODY would get into nightmare. But with Cloak of Shadows, Mind Blast, & Shadow Master & Rogue, not much ever targeted ME which allowed me to kick them to death. However, there were times I probably would have been classified as a summoner since I let my shadow & rogue kill lightning bugs, any LE bosses, & blow-up dolls.

somethingsin said:
speaking of boggleing, anyone ever heard of the word game called boggle?

Might be a dutch only thing
Yes, I used to play it when I was a kid (here in the U.S.) & think they even have it as a computer game now.

TKhan

Diabloii.Net Member
LordMay said:
I've been down in philly competing in the Penn Relays so I haven't been able to play. Now that I'm back hopefully I can make some progress.
Awesome! What event(s) do you run?

[/running hijack]

Rizzo

Diabloii.Net Member
mwille said:
RIP – killed by a Leaper
RIP mwille ! :cry:
Awesome feat getting so far with a melee character. Without doubt, you will win this tourney.

I'm still in act 1 NM...

Sint Nikolaas

Diabloii.Net Member
Forum name: Sint
Character name: Rire
WoC: Rare claw + magical claw
Level: 24
(Way)points: (13) 39
Health: 236/236

I finished by leveling yesterday. I don't have any time to play again this week (vacation), but getting to 24 was something I just had to do. I so far had 5 points in fire claw, 5 in lightning claw and now 1 in colw claw.... with enough BoS to attack fast enough to charge up the three skills together I now do 150-550 dmg on a finishing move (normal attack). :shocked: Anyway, found the maggot lair but didn't enter it, I just got to the wp and shut down.

RIP mw, I probably won't make it that far, nice going.

mwille

Diabloii.Net Member
Sint Nikolaas said:
I probably won't make it that far.
Stay by your Shadow's side as much as possible, she will usually be targeted instead of you. Also, walk unless you need to retreat or dodge things. Another thing that works well, but takes a while to get use to doing is to use your right mouse button for moving as well as attacking. Just switch to your preferred attack & continue holding down the right button to move/attack. You will automatically attack the closest monster until it's dead while you can move the cursor to your next position. This way you can easily stay on the fringes of a crowd & retreat to recast CoS. The only time I would use the left button is when there is only one monster to attack, or to single out a boss. It will be a little trickier for you since you have to switch from charge-up to finishing move (I only used kick). I basically hold down the right button ALL the time & use hotkeys to switch between skills.

jrlafrance

Diabloii.Net Member
DEEDS

Forum name: jrlafrance
Character name : TrapperJane_ll
Character Class : trapper, caster
Character Level : 23
Character health: 0/303
Unspent skill points: 4
Unspent stat points: 35 (Coulda used these!) :sad2:
Farthest Location: Arcane Sanctuary
(Way)points: 17 (17)
WoC: Charged Bolt Sentry along with:

Static Short Bow of Quality
Two-Hand Damage: 1 to 6
Required Dexterity: 15
Required Level: 18
Bow Class - Normal Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 25
Fingerprint: 0xecccb6cf
+2 to Maximum Damage
Adds 1-106 lightning damage

Another careless mistake killed me. I was in the second quadrant of the AS (the portal one). I didn't look ahead to see if there were any monsters at the next portal before I clicked on it. Sure enough, there were about 8 Hell Clan, 4 Ghoul Lords, and 6-8 Apparitions right at the other portal. I tried to click to get back, but somehow I was blocked, so I ran ahead into uncharted territory which turned out to not be any better. So I ran back, and decided to make a stand. Terrible choice. My 270 or so life went down quickly, and before I could try another run away tactic, I was DEEDS.

Fun tourney Rizzo. I'm disappointed I didn't go further, because I know I could have. Oh well, there is always next time. Thanks for hosting!! :thumbsup:

I did find 3 unique items, my first HC items ever: Hotspur, Gorefoot, and Skewer of Krintiz. Gotta start a grail somewhere, right?

Rizzo

Diabloii.Net Member
Sorry to hear about those deeds jrla

I haven't progressed a thing. Javelina's still hanging out in nm act 1, and she will be for some time now (exams). I hope to get further some time in june

Sint Nikolaas

Diabloii.Net Member
RIP

I was crusing along nicely, untill I got overconfident and almost got myself killed. With 10 hp left I was facing the palace levels (act 2) to find the arcane's and about half a level. I maybe could have pulled it off if I didn't fight myself but left my shadow and merc handle everything. That's not the point of a melee char I thought and walked up to one of those tall guys in palace cellar level 2... He WAS focussing on my shadow untill I walked up to him and started attacking... sigh.

Forum name: Sint
Character name: Rire
WoC: Rare claw + magical claw
Level: 25
(Way)points: (15) 45 (or is palace cellar level 1 #16? Then I'm at 48)
Health: 0/???

Sidhe

Diabloii.Net Member
Is this tourney still running?
I've been on sort of a D2-break (as in, no active play/questing/leveling/tourneying, etc), but would still like to continue with Isore if this is still up and going...

jrlafrance

Diabloii.Net Member
Sidhe said:
Is this tourney still running?
I've been on sort of a D2-break (as in, no active play/questing/leveling/tourneying, etc), but would still like to continue with Isore if this is still up and going...
I know Rizzo has been very busy with RL (school) lately, but I 99.9% sure the tourney didn't stop. Rizzo himiself stopped when he got to NM, but that doesn't mean that anyone else has to stop. I also think a lot of the contestants have died, so no new posts.

Rizzo

Diabloii.Net Member
Sorry for me being not around. I am very busy irl (exams and such).
The tourney is not closed, although I'll close it if no news have come up in 5 days from now.
I think Javelina will stop where she is now, I won't get a chance to take her further.

So, any news from the people still participating? :smiley:

Rizzo

Diabloii.Net Member
- GAME OVER -

Ok, I think that's it.
No doubt about the winner, it is of course mwille:

Forum name: mwille
Character name: Still_Thirsty
WoC: Rare Flail/Zakarum’s Hand
Level: 57
(Way)points: (59) 177
Health: 0/670 (over 800 w/ items)

Congratulations on that awesome feat! :thumbsup:

This tournament is now over.
Thanks to everyone who participated.
It was fun while it lasted, and there might be a successor during the holidays (not from me tho, but someone else....). I sure hope so, since this kind of tourney is probably the sickest and most nerving I myself have ever tried.
Javelina never got out of NM, but she is now retired, and I doubt she'll ever see the light again :smiley:

Have a great holiday to all of you!

Best wishes
Rizzo

mwille

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks for the great tourney Rizzo, I really enjoyed it.

I too, hope to see this one again (when I'm not as busy as I am now).