Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The Level 18 Cleg Zealot

Discussion in 'PvP' started by crawlingdeadman, May 20, 2008.

1. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman IncGamers Member

The Level 18 Cleg Zealot

Table of Contents:
    1. Introduction
    2. Stats
    3. Skill point allocation
    4. Equipment
    5. Strategies
    6. My Zealot
    7. Thanks

1. Introduction

at level 18 in duels there is one build that dominates the public dueling games. that build is the 18 zealot. there are of course variations to the build, but the standard 18 zealot is a powerhouse that is fairly cheap (to start) and really tough to beat. very little varies between zealots and equally matched (gear wise) ones will duel all day with the only difference being who gets the deadly strikes and who doesnt.

Note:
    there are casters around at level 18, but they are less common than at lvl 30. levels 9-18 are a predominately melee weight class. there are several viable ranger builds, but when i think of level 18 dueling, standing still and holding left click is what comes to mind.

2. Stats
    Strength: your highest req item should be 55 (clegclaw's sword). you'll be getting 10 from twitch and start with 25 so you'll be needing 20 more strength.

Dexterity: the dexterity you require for max block (using any rlvl 18 shield) will be granted by gear so you dont need a single point here.

Vitality: the rest.

3. Skill point allocation
    i highly recomend getting hell rushed. this build doesnt need to be, but 40 life, 10 stats, and 8 more skills are welcome. you wont really care about resists, but there's 20 more of them too. with hell rush and 18 levels you will have 29 skills to play with. there are various ways to go skill wise.

first, some skill basics; sacrifice gives you 12%ed synergy bonus per level to zeal, while zeal only gives you 6%ed per level (only with 5 skills or more invested). zeal does however give you 10%ar bonus per level. after the first skill point invested, both aura options only give you 10%ed per level so only put more into them after maxing sacrifice. after maxing sac, getting an aura, and putting the needed 4 into zeal the options arent much different raw data wise. i see a lot of people using concentration, but from a numbers standpoint might makes more sense. the chance of uninterruptible from conc isnt going to do anything for you as zeal is already uninterruptible.

Conc Build:
    18 sacrifice
    7 zeal
    1 might
    2 blessed aim
    1 concentration

the extra point into blessed aim is there because there's nowhere better to put it. you can only put one into conc and both sacrifice and zeal are maxed for their levels. with this skill allocation, you get 294% ed and 80% ar.

Might Build (variant 1):
    18 sacrifice
    7 zeal
    4 might

this skill allocation is the one i'm using now. it gives a total of 304%ed and 70%ar. i thought originally that this good mix of ed% and ar% would be useful but after doing the research for this guide, i think that with a good charmset (to make up for the ar loss) that the "best" build would be:

Might Build (variant 2):
    18 sacrifice
    4 zeal
    7 might

i've not used this one, but raw ed% numbers look good at the cost of a big chunk of ar%. 316% ed 40% ar.

No Rush Build:
    16 sacrifice
    4 zeal
    1 might

there is no better skill allocation for the non rushed build (baring use of a good scepter). this will give you 228%ed, 40% ar. because of the really low ed% per level of zeal, only go up to skill level 4 for the 5 hits. after that it's better to put as much into sac as you can for more ed%.

Note:
    for any of the above, i do not recommend wasting the two points to get charge, you can get a scepter with it or javs to use vs rangers/casters. i highly recomend using javs as charge is very mana intensive and you get zilch from your gear for it. the typical zealot will have less than 50 mana.

AR Notes:
    i fiddled around with a chance to hit calculator to help you determine which skill set you'd be better off with. i used my guy's stats as a basis in a zeal vs zeal situation (basically figuring out how much of a chance to hit himself he has). with only gear and charm AR and AR% additions i came out with a 85% chance to hit. with an additional 80%ar (conc build above) it came out to a 90% chance to hit. with only 40% more ar (might build variant 2 above) it came out as a **% chance to hit. bear in mind your mileage may vary and i also did not figure in blocking. also keep conc barbs in mind. they will be much much tougher to hit.

4. Equipment
    Gear:
    ~ 3os crown (15% superior prefered)
    ~ angelic ammy
    ~ clegclaws sword
    ~ twitchthroe (60 def is perfect)
    ~ 60%+ ed/110+ ar 4os shield (aerin is prefered, but as long as it's not putting in more strength than the rest of the listed gear any will do)
    ~ deaths gloves
    ~ angelic rings
    ~ deaths belt
    ~ cow king's boots

you need the 50 ias from twitch and deaths partial set to hit the best zeal break point at this level so there are no other options for those 3 slots. you could use partial sig for it's 30% ias, but it's a far weaker option as you'd lose out somewhere in the rest of your gear to make up for it.

Switch:
    ~ eth/repair war javelins or 5os scepter with + charge on it
    ~ 60%+ ed/110+ ar 4os shield

Inventory:
    the only charms available at this level that will help you increase your damage are fine grand charms (i lied, large charms also can have max damage/ar/life, but on a per space basis, grand charms are better). when looking for charms the best for this level would be a 6max damage/48 ar/20 life grand charm. if you're having a hard time finding these grand charms you can start out with all 15 lifer small charms. this dramatically increases your life. an alternative to both is to use 5x grand charms and then fill the rest of your space with plain 15 lifers (this is what i do). it's a fairly good balance between all out damage and max life.

normally for duelers (at any level) you dont want to have stats on charms. this is because you can get more life on a charm than you can stats that would be saved to put into life. as an example, you can have 2 str (i'll use strength as the example as we dont need dex at all) on a small charm which in turn translates to 6 life (3 life per vitality on a paladin) in that same space you could have a 15 lifer. as you can see 15 > 6 so you'll put those 2 hard points into str and get yourself a 15 lifer. the exception to this is if you're having a hard time finding grand charms with 19-20 life (if you're using them that is). in this case you can use 3x 6max/ar/6str grand charms. these charms are the equivalent of an 18 life grand charm (6 saved stats = 18 life for a pally). in other words you should use 6max/ar/6 strength or 6max/ar/19life (or more) grands. anything less than 19 life would you actually would be better off with strength over life (until you hit your gear reqs then you're back to life being better even if it is lower than 18).

Stash:
    ~ 45 res 4os sheild with a 1 pdiamond and 3xmax jewels (i usually use this on my switch so that i avoid going to stash vs elemental damage dealers)
    ~ another pair of eth/repair javs or a non eth pair of repair javs so you dont have to wait while your main ones repair
    ~ duskdeep (for smiters/kickers if you want. i have one, but never use it as they dont really pose a problem)
    ~ 15 max/xx ar socketed cleg for when you feel you need a bit more ar
    ~ amethyst socketed cleg for when you really need some more ar (this is where the conc build would be better than the might build. if you are really not able to hit the opponent, you can switch to using blessed aim for a very large ar boost)

Jewels:
    jewels start out at 15 max (you can use less, but you'll replace them with pretty easy to find 15's so just start there instead). fill every socket with them (9 of them not counting switch gear). replace them as you can with jewels up to 20 max damage.

5. Strategies
    Vs. Melee
    1) say "go" wait for oponent to say "go"
    2) left click on them with zeal while having the aura of your choice up
    3) when one of you dies say "gd"

Vs. Caster/Ranger
    run around trying to not get hit (walk if vs charger) throw javs from range. if you get close enough switch to zeal (with cleg) real fast and hit them.

6. My Zealot
    this isnt about bragging, i know that my dude isnt even near the best, but i wanted to show people what i had and what to shoot for.

Screen shot:
    here's a collage of Lock-Ree's stats and the important gear.

Stats:
    life: 904
    attack rating: 2160 (2460 with amethyst cleg)
    damage: 40-1016 (40-932 with amethyst cleg)

7.Thanks
    thanks goes especially to ATOMICMAN for his cleg zealot guide as that's what i started with. also to chrono trigger and elusive for the great duels last ladder. thanks also to queen mebd and the other members of the Low Level Dueling group for taking a look at my rough draft. thank you U_M for your mod skills lastly a very special thanks to all the pubs i've smashed over the years. without you dying horribly i'd have been bored with losing to my betters within minutes.

now go out there and make something other than this build :thumbsup: no really, please.

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  2. sweetalmonds

sweetalmonds IncGamers Member

Re: The Level 18 Cleg Zealot

Looks good thanks, I'll finsish reading later

3. Queen Mebd

Queen Mebd IncGamers Member

I got a huge kick out of this. Speaking of melee strategies, what classes seem to give you the most trouble; conc barbs with their def, do smiters' uninterruptible attacks present a challenge?

4. Uncle_Mike

Uncle_Mike D2 PvP Moderator

Yes, the melee strategy gave me a chuckle too :smiley:

I think I will give this build a try once I find some decent charms :thumbsup:

Looks good :flowers: Time to update your sig?

5. uptoolayte

uptoolayte IncGamers Member

I have recently had some great experience with this build. I went the charge variant route with more in might than sac. I tested both out and to me, being able to charge is SO much more valuable than meeting that one or two pure zealers that will barely beat you by just walking up and zealing.

My max charge does over 1.4k and my zeal is around 950 max
    Going all sac and zeal would have my zeal dmg around 990 and charge below that.

Charge is just SO useful for catching sorcs, zons, Sins, Necros, any class where they just hurl their high damage projectiles at you while you're running after them. I've killed VERY high levels with this build and 75% of these kills started out with a well placed charge.

I was lucky enough to use 15 max/50+ ar jewels so my zeal AR is 2.6k, and charge is 2.9k, which helps against the players at lvl 30 (which is about 75% of the duels I'm in)

So far this build has been VERY successful:
    Vs other lvl 18's: Only lost to ONE other zeal pally because he was pure zeal with almost equal gear. Lvl 21, 24, and 30 zealers will just out-do you if they are similiarly built for their level

LvL 30's:
    I consistantly win vs: All Druids, Zons, Sorcs, and sins. Well Geared necros, hammerdins, WW barbs, and godly Sorcs will beat you if they are lvl 30.

Otherwise, enjoy killing about 65% of the lvl 30's out there and up to lvl 70's sometimes with this build. Great Guide!

6. crawlingdeadman

i'm not sure what you mean by "one or two zealers" as well over half of the melee duels at 18 are zeal vs zeal.

high levels that crash games arent worth dueling. sure they're fun to kill at first, but once you have some good duels with a real dueler, you'll never go back.

if you "consistently win" vs level 30s (no matter the class), they're not duelers or if they are, they're poorly equipped. no level 30 will ever lose to a lvl 18.

7. mystified

mystified IncGamers Member

...how come i didn't notice this guide before? :shocked:
    nice one, so far best one i've read with very much detailed explanation.

dunno about charge tho...i guess this is very debatable, but yeah sceprtre would be better no doubt. although I am not sure how much range matters vs zealots (the ones that usually go cleg).
    which also brings about points about +3 zeal.other mods 5 sox sceptre or sup military picks..

mayeb CDM's answer for this? :smiley:

by drus you mean which? my windy (who isn't even close to goldy) will never get beaten due to range > melee and lv30 > lv 18 thingie. that and summons. :p
    dunno about fury but those guys do like twice lv 18 dmg, with a lot more ar and faster attack with a lot more life.
    zons, dunno but bowas were pretty powerful too to a point where you can't chase them anyway....

i have to agree with CDM on this. only exception i could thing is....lv 30 war crier? XD

8. Uncle_Mike

Uncle_Mike D2 PvP Moderator

Added to guides sticky :pancake:

9. jakotaco

jakotaco IncGamers Member

I guess the charge/pure question depends alot on what you duel. If you only do pubs to impress/pwn the non-lld chars that think they can stand a chance against a lowbie then charge is definately a good choice. (and there are few things that feels as good as teaching a potting, duelcrashing lowhoster a lesson in manners)

However, if you plan to duel against other real llds of your lvl. Then you will need every little edge out of your main attack you can get. This guide above is obviously for the second option, but can probably kick some higher level asses aswell if the need should arise...

10. janmaxim

janmaxim IncGamers Member

I have a lvl 18 cleg's zealot myself and here is my experiences:

Any melee-build which faces you at level 18 or lower = instant win 95% of the times. I even regulary win over lvl 29s in pubbies.

The real trouble is casters with high FRW. They can be a pain in the ***.

For pubbie dueling the charge-route is definately the way to go, charge is SO useful for catching the runners.. and when you first get them into a charge-chain they're either dead, you run out of mana or charge-lock :p

11. uptoolayte

I mean the 1 or 2 GOOD zealers that have everything into sac instead of might. I've run across very few of these (only in tournaments, really) and having charge is more useful in pub games

I consistantly win vs pub game lvl 30's and I mentioned the ones that I will always lose to. I'm just talking about mid equipped lvl 30's.

12. uptoolayte

I mean any kind of caster druid if they are not equipped well I will just charge lock them and they die. Even vs well equipped windies and fire druids I do very well. A pure zealer has no chance against them without high lvl might with charge.

edited, use PM

13. Deuterium

Deuterium IncGamers Member

Well this is working a treat so far!

With my current gear (a bit ghetto):

Full Isenhart's
    Death's sash
    Angelic rings & Ammy
    Treads of Cthon unique chain boots
    And a few random (mostly bad :D) +small res, +dex/str, +life/mana charms

Killed a 19 Hammer, 22 Zealer and 31(!) Meteorb - yes in a duel game, no not by surprise - though it shocked me! I just closed the range and zeal did a lot more damage than I thought. This was with my level 16 char :whistling:

I can see this will be a lot of fun:alright:

14. Deuterium

Sorry for the double post (even thought there doesn't seem to be much activity in this thread) but to those who are placing skills in smite and charge with this build:

1. Are you being Hell rushed for the extra 'buffer' skills?
    2. Regardless, roughly how many points are you placing in Charge? My damage seems very low with just a +2 from a Scepter - are hard points more effective?

Just wondering :scratchchin:
    To anyone who's interested my LLD Zealot is going really well still, using:

Death's Guard and Hand
    Angelic Jewelry
    Treads of Cthon - still haha, might go with rares until I get Cow King's to try
    15 Max'd Cleg's
    15 Max'd Twitch
    A sweet 4soc 56ed/100ish AR Crown Shield with 2 Maxers so far
    And Duskeep (Until I have enough maxers for a 36def Crown)

Got 500~ life and doing 500 max damage with Zeal (still working on the charms and maxers ;))

Edit: May start a thread just about this if there's enough interest but I've started trying to make a regular LLD room - creatively enough called "Low Level Duels". I try to get some new players into LLDing (even though I'm pretty new myself) and lay out the basic ground rules of no gold stealing, no bad manners/being excessively rude or health potting mid duel.

It seemed to go well, especially because I created the room with a +10 level limit (8 to 28 for my 18 Zealot). No more bored 86 Hammerdins aggroing everyone causing 6 odd people to just stand around the Blood Moor bridge :crazyeyes:.

The guys that joined so far said they had fun - which is what matters I guess :alright:. Tried explaining that on GBR-1 and just got ripped by people saying "But level 8s can't duel you retard lolol". Ah well, I'd like to see some of you guys on there sometime, teach me a trick or two!

Cheers anyway :thumbup:,
    *Deuterium

15. uptoolayte

Too bad you aren't on West NL
    This is a fun build and I was surprised as you were when I first played it as well. I've been slowly working on this guy for a few months. Now, he's got about 830 life, does 1120 max zeal dmg and 1750 max charge damage with 3k AR. Its fun to surprise higher levels with instant kills.
    Good Luck!

16. Deuterium

Hey uptoolayte,

Out of interest is that character Hell rushed? Either way how many points did you put in charge?

Cheers and GL yourself ;]
    *Deuterium

17. uptoolayte

It IS hell rushed. 1 pt in charge. I went max might, 4 zeal and rest into sac. My tournament zealer does more dmg with none in charge, max sac, 4 zeal and rest into might. Charge is valuable for public duels especially for sorcs, druids, trappers, zons, etc...

18. hypper

hypper IncGamers Member

I finished the build, but Im going to use this char mostly for pking, rarely joining duel games.
    I have a question... I want to use a mercenary to help me pking my victims, is it a good idea??? If yes, which one should I use? Defensive or Might?

Thanks!

19. crawlingdeadman

no experience w/ mercs at all.

if it's a pk build you may want to make a charger instead.

20. uptoolayte

depending on your gear, just 1 pt into charge should be enough for pking. You should have at least 1500 charge dmg with this setup. You don't want to miss a charge (being the most buggy skill in the game) and be stuck in front of the person you charged with no powerful backup skill. A strong charge+zeal is perfect, catch them before they can do much, then zeal to death.