Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The Length of the Game

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Filo, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Filo

Filo Diabloii.Net Member

The Length of the Game

Hi guys, I've been lurking around these forums for a while and decided to finally start posting.

There has been one thing eating at me for a while now that I've been unsure of, that being the length of the game. I recall someone said that the length would be as long as or a little longer then d2. I'm not sure of that means size or how long it would take, but to me d2 didn't seem like it was all that long in the first place. I'm not necessarily talking about playing from normal to hell, just the amount of content. Maybe I'm just being demanding of the development team, but I expected that after all this time it would be longer.

Sorry if this has already been talked about, I didn't see another thread about it.

2. Glass

Glass Diabloii.Net Member

3. fnwc

fnwc Diabloii.Net Member

Re: The Length of the Game

I'm sort of disappointed by Blizzard's response at the Q&A panel. While it's true that the RNG can change the length, they certainly have an average playtime, as well as what they are targeting for overall length.

My guess is that it will be about the same size as D2, but that's purely speculation.

Edit: found something that Jay said about this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhz3611u1rQ&list=QL&playnext=2#t=2m52s.

4. Mackan

Mackan Diabloii.Net Member

There will be 4 Acts, and the size of the Acts will be similar to those in D2. I had hoped for a longer game, but I think they spent too much time on, for example, their art style, instead of making game content... So when they are out of their "discovery" mode, they realize that - "crap, years have passed, we gotta get the game out before we retire".

For example, they had to take out Ureh from the game as well to get the game out sooner. There are a number of these remarks in various interviews and comments from Blizzard.

5. Apocalypse

Apocalypse Diabloii.Net Member

i think the length of the game should be fine. if they are aiming for a game the size of D2 (roughly) then it will work well. i mean everyone rushed D2 anyway so why bother making it even longer? run the risk of it being too long and losing some of the fun factor.

6. The Rockman

The Rockman Diabloii.Net Member

I agree Apoc; if there's no boring stuff and no rushing D2 length will be fine. D2 sucks because you could be rushed straight to hell baal in ~5 secs flat and the crappy maps made it a pain if your not rushed (really only checks is kill the act boss to move on, apart from Act 2 when you need the Staff).

7. Filo

Filo Diabloii.Net Member

Crap double post >< my bad.

8. Filo

Filo Diabloii.Net Member

I guess it's not really a problem. With random events and dungeons, the game will have more going on then it did in D2. I've got a feeling that the static outdoors are meant to complement the idea of constant action as well. So they can set everything up in a way that you are always fighting or doing something.

9. UpZiDown

UpZiDown Diabloii.Net Member

Same length as D2 will be fine, definitely not any short though.

I agree with The Rockman, without rushing D2 is actually a reasonable length.

Plus, with D3 they have already said they're looking at releasing "multiple" expansions. So with those in mind the over all game will probally take quite a bit longer than D2 once expanded.

10. lone_wolf

lone_wolf Diablo: IncGamers Member

i found diablo 2 to be a very short game and i only play single player. Hopefully there will be enough side quests and stuff to do in diablo 3 so it at least feels a bit longer.