Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The joy of a reset

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by dulson, Jun 25, 2008.

1. dulson

dulson IncGamers Member

The joy of a reset

I have played this game for years although I have been taking a break for the last nine months. I have done everything that there is to do with this game, played every character, made cookie cutters, obscure builds, item farming, PvP, key running etc etc. But the only thing that I haven’t done is played after a ladder reset which I cannot do now as I have too much to do and I cannot afford to lose six hours a day for the next three months.

Could anyone let me know what it is like running around in an eight player hell game when everyone is wearing blues only? It must be a slaughter when you meet Diablo and everyone has massively negative resists or when doing a Baal run and your all desperately trying to contain each group of monsters. All I can think of is that you have a Fishymancer up front and a number of Sorcs behind blasting away while gulping down blues at a prestigious rate while the melee men do what they can.

Oh yes and Hell ancients must be a huge sticking point that takes forever to get past.

Let me know your experiences so I can play vicariously through you

Thanks

Dulson

2. chenw

chenw IncGamers Member

Re: The joy of a reset

I didn't even bother try tackling hell levels before I mf'ed the **** out of Nightmare Mephisto, and got myself some decent gear for my hammerdin (duo spirit, Vipermagi, ravenfrost and Dwarf Star are the primary ones). I knew that if I had tried to play in hell, even act one would prove extreme difficulty for me.

But when I actually did it, yes, it was difficult, we couldn't get past the Venom Lord bunch in one of the games in chaos sanctuary, it was frustrating, but still extremely fun, for the game was hard for once (Been a veteran of 1.09d for nearly a year and 1.10 briefly, enough to know about Arach and Enigma anyway :p). But yes, I recommend getting some starting gear (absorb and resistance gear, and + skills if you can get them without compromising resistance to a major extent), that can make life a lot easier.

3. Spookie

Spookie IncGamers Member

Before the reset well geared Baal Bots were the norm and tearing through Baal was to be expected.

Now, Baal Bot games are not so common - People actually have to work for the exp/drops! :) The open games I've joined often time don't make it past the Venom Lords.

I suspect as more and more quality Runewords are re-introduced things will slowly go back to the way they were before.

4. chenw

chenw IncGamers Member

That is to be expected though, even with the runewords we have at the moment, the ladder games will get progressively easier as time goes by, because more people will be appropriately gear later stages.

I never ever regret playing in the start of the ladder, because it is the only time where I actually have to work hard for the character. I was partly lucky in that i Discovered ladder reset only a week ago :p which started my interested in D2 again (before it was just Cow till you drop). But how long would my interest last i am not sure, but i certainly aint stopping until i get some really good gear for my hammerdin :p

5. theasdfman

theasdfman IncGamers Member

i was teleing world stone keep at level 70 and hardly ever dying for my team with my sorc on the 3rd day

the key is maxed resists, a bo barb, and lots of fcr, and the things in hell wsk don't even touch you

here was my gear:

20 fcr circlet
    wizspike (borrowed from a friend) - resists and fcr
    gothic shield with 3 pdiamonds for resists
    stealth mage plage (cheap tal eth rune for 25 fcr and 25 fhr)
    bladebuckle plated belt - 30 fhr
    rings and ammy were those that added mana
    boots and gloves were random blues/rares

key to successful wsk was always 1 good tele-er (me), 1 bo barb, 1 good necromancer with corpse. the other 5 ppl can be whoever. whenever we had these on our team baal runs were quick and efficient.

6. AgentMarth

AgentMarth IncGamers Member

Reset was awesomely fun for me.

A 17 hour straight shot with an awesome group meant we beat the game in around 12 hours, then started to hell Baal after that. As a result, we held the top spots on each individual ladder, and over half of the overall top 15.

The teamwork is what made is so fun, since without our team working hand in hand so well, it would have been alot harder.

Now, its just back into the same old Baal/MF mode, with the flow of dupes slowly coming back in. With the patch not changing much, it will be back to "normal" soon enough.

7. dulson

dulson IncGamers Member

That all sounds great. finally having to work for a living. i had an infinity sorc last season and top rate equipment and i realised that i could go anywhere do anything and nothing was a challange. this period seems to me to be the best part of the ladder season when Hell is as tough as you like unless you are in a dedicated group with friends and even then its hard. if anyone has seen anyone with an enigma then perhaps the dupes really have arrived. i think that if you are a lone player just looking to join a group made up of everything then Hell may be a distant consideration or at the very least ACT1 Hell is a constant battle.