The Jedi Master

Phalmos

Diabloii.Net Member
The Jedi Master

Here's one for those looking for something less common, I don't know if a build like this exists, but here goes my first attempt at a guide! I am open to suggestions, having never played a sin, I just went with theory based on information from Arreat Summit. I have never, ever, played this character type, but this sounded like a fun build idea!

The Jedi Master (Assassin)
(Mwa ha ha!)

Allright, as you may have guessed, this 'sin uses skills primarily from the Shadow Discipline Tree. While I personally have no idea how she may hold her own, I think it would be a lot of fun to play this complete build! A freakin' JEDI!!!!

After a test run my a good friend, Pendraig, I have concluded that, while a good player can hold their own with this character, she is definitely a team player, and not one for the front lines. A support Assassin, if you will. The idea here was to mess with the enemies so the rest of the team and plow though them.

Skills:

Cloak of Shadows - Max this, lowering enemy def and all the other goodies that come with it are what this build is centred around.
Burst of Speed - 5 points here, after that, it's not really worth it. However, aside form being very Jedi-like, it will be an important and helpful skill.
Fade - 5, for the same reasons as above.
Shadow Master - Maxed. You need a tank. 'Nuff said.
Dragon Flight - Max this. Another Jedi must-have.
Phoenix Strike - Max this too. This is only to give Dragon Flight more damage. Use whichever Charge-up you like, I just fancied this one

Stats:

Strength: As always, put whatever you need to use your gear.
Dexterity: Keep max block. Very important in the higher levels! Also put anything required for the gear you use here.
Vitality: Everything else (Shocker!)
Energy: Base

No surprises there.

Equipment:

Ah, the ever-controvertial subject... I will be posting reasonably affordable gear here, so don't expect uber-godly sabu-you-through-the-wall gear here. Smoke 'em if you got 'em though.

Weapon 1: There can only be 1 weapon worthy of this slot for the Jedi...

Lightsabre! (Oh come on, you knew it was coming!)
One-Hand Damage: (87-103) To (117-135) (102-119 Avg)
Required Level: 58
Required Strength: 25
Required Dexterity: 136
Base Weapon Speed: [-30]
+150-200% Enhanced Damage (varies)
Adds 10-30 Damage
Adds 60-120 Magic Damage
Adds 1-200 Lightning Damage
5-7% Mana Stolen Per Hit (varies)
5% Chance To Cast Level 14-20 Chain Lightning On Attack (varies)
20% Increased Attack Speed
Ignore Target's Defense
Lightning Absorb 25%
+7 To Light Radius

Shield 1:

Spirit Shield (Tal+Thul+Ort+Amn; Best in a Moarch)

+2 To All Skills
+25-35% Faster Cast Rate (varies)
+55% Faster Hit Recovery
+250 Defense Vs. Missile
+22 To Vitality
+89-112 To Mana (varies)
Cold Resist +35%
Lightning Resist +35%
Poison Resist +35%
+3-8 Magic Absorb (varies)
Attacker Takes Damage of 14

Here is a switch solution should you find yourself in need of a different, and perhaps more defensive strategy:

Weapon 2:

Jade Talon (Wrist Sword)
Damage: (98-115) To (130-153) (114-134 Avg)
Required Level: 66
Required Strength: 105
Required Dexterity: 105
Durability: 56
Weapon Speed: [-10]
(Assassin Only)
+190-240% Enhanced Damage (varies)
+1-2 To Martial Arts (Assassin Only) (varies)
+1-2 To Shadow Disciplines (Assassin Only) (varies)
+30% Faster Hit Recovery
10-15% Mana Stolen Per Hit (varies)
All Resistances +40-50 (varies)

Shield 2:

Ancients Pledge Runeword (RalOrtTal)
+50% Enhanced Defense
Cold Resist +43%
Fire Resist +48%
Lightning Resist +48%
Poison Resist +48%
10% Damage Goes To Mana

Armor: I will list a few options I feel would work well for this kind of build.

If you are in need of resists, Smoke is always a viable option

Smoke Runeword (Nef+Lum)

+75% Enhanced Defense
+280 Defense Vs. Missile
All Resistances +50
20% Faster Hit Recovery
Level 6 Weaken (18 Charges)
+10 To Energy
-1 To Light Radius

For higher defense, Stone works, but is a bit more expensive

Stone Runeword (ShaelUmPulLum)

+60% Faster Hit Recovery
+250-290% Enhanced Defense (varies)
+300 Defense Vs. Missile
+16 To Strength
+16 To Vitality
+10 To Energy
All Resistances +15
Level 16 Molten Boulder (80 Charges)
Level 16 Clay Golem (16 Charges)

Skulldur's Ire is fairly easy to aquire with another character, just do a couple nightmare rushes to earn yourself a Pul

Skulldur's Ire

Defense: 634-732 (varies)(Base Defense: 225-243)
Required Level: 42
Required Strength: 97
Durability: 90
+160-200% Enhanced Defense (varies)
Repairs 1 Durability In 5 Seconds
+ (1.25 Per Character Level) 1-123 % Better Chance Of Getting Magic Items (Based On Character Level)
+1 To All Skill Levels
Magic Damage Reduced By 10

Belt:

I can't really think of any cheap belt that would work incredibly well, however I suggest the following:

Tal Rasha's Fine-Spun Cloth (Great for keeping the Mana up)

Defense: 35-40 (varies)
Defense: 95-100 (varies) (Base Defense: 35-40)
Required Level: 53
Required Strength: 47
Durability: 16
16 boxes
Requirements -20%
37% Damage Taken Goes To Mana
+30 To Mana
+20 To Dexterity
10-15% Better Chance Of Magic Items (varies)

Helm:

Peasant Crown is not a bad choice

Peasent Crown

Defense: 108 (Base Defense: 45-53)
Required Level: 28
Required Strength: 20
Durability: 12
+100% Enhanced Defense
+1 To All Skills
15% Faster Run/Walk
Replenish Life +6-12 (varies)
+20 To Energy
+20 To Vitality

Cheap and effective, Lore can also provide a quick boost to skills

Lore Runeword (OrtSol)

+1 To All Skill Levels
+10 To Energy
+2 To Mana After Each Kill
Lightning Resist +30%
Damage Reduced By 7
+2 To Light Radius

Gloves:

Venom Grip (for some leech)

Defense: 97-118 (varies)(Base Defense: 28-35)
Required Level: 29
Required Strength: 20
Durability: 12
+130-160% Enhanced Defense (varies)
+15-25 Defense (varies)
5% Chance of Crushing Blow
+60 Poison Damage Over 4 Seconds
5% Life Stolen Per Hit
5% To Maximum Poison Resist
Poison Resist +30%

Boots:

If you can get Shadow Dancers, that would be ideal. But for the rest of us middle-class characters, War Travelers will do nicely.

War Traveler

Defense: 120-139 (varies)(Base Defense: 39-47)
Required Level: 42
Required Strength: 95
Durability: 48
Assassin Kick Damage: 37-64
+150-190% Enhanced Defense (varies)
25% Faster Run/Walk
+10 To Vitality
+10 To Strength
Adds 15-25 Damage
40% Slower Stamina Drain
Attacker Takes Damage Of 5-10 (varies)
30-50% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items(varies)

Rings:

A soj or Ravenfrost would be excellent, but for budget builds, just go for FHR and other useful bonuses

Amulet:

If you can find an ammy with + to SD tree, it would be the optimal choice. But depending on your rings, you may want to opt for things like "Cannot be Frozen," perhaps some MF, anything you want to complete your helpful bonuses that your rings don't cover.

That's it for now. Bear with me, again, this is my first attempt at creating a guide. I'm sure there's probably someone else out there with this build name or build, but it was just too much fun to pass up!

Quietus

Diabloii.Net Member
What about mind blast??? And psychic hammer??? They're very jedi-like, but you simple dont mention them....
Agreed. These are staples of any assassin build I would accept as being Jedi-like. Also, it's worth noting that you didn't mention any strategies in your guide. No suggested theoretical combat techniques, or anything like that. You suggest investing both in burst of speed and fade, when should you use one or the other? ... And why would you need burst of speed (aside from the whole "Jedi-like" thing)? Your main attack, as best as I can see, is Dragon Flight, which is not only weak on it's own, but also doesn't rely on anything to increase it's speed.

Also, have you actually played this build? Or is this just an idea/theory you have? It looks like an idea or theory.

Phalmos

Diabloii.Net Member
Agreed. These are staples of any assassin build I would accept as being Jedi-like. Also, it's worth noting that you didn't mention any strategies in your guide. No suggested theoretical combat techniques, or anything like that. You suggest investing both in burst of speed and fade, when should you use one or the other? ... And why would you need burst of speed (aside from the whole "Jedi-like" thing)? Your main attack, as best as I can see, is Dragon Flight, which is not only weak on it's own, but also doesn't rely on anything to increase it's speed.

Also, have you actually played this build? Or is this just an idea/theory you have? It looks like an idea or theory.
Actually, I specifically said that I have NOT played this build, and in fact have NEVER played an assassin. I never said it was a very efficient build, I never even once recommended it for actual use! I did, however, say that it was a fun idea. Nothing more. And I leave the judgment in skills to those more experienced than I in the Assassin dept. As for combat techniques... I told you all in the beginning of the thread, I am not the sin expert, I know jack about sins. You honestly can't figure out how to use her and play her role in the team? Then don't use her. The skills were not anything strategically planned, they were just suggestions of what could be for a Jedi. To answer the final question, yes, this was just an idea/theory. This was one of those ideas for people who ran out of other things to do on D2.

jakotaco

Diabloii.Net Member
Hmm, sorry to say but your build seems a bit flawed even as a funbuild. And most important of all - you missed the real JEDI skills.

Psychic Hammer aka "Force Push" and Mind Blast aka "Jedi Mind Tricks"

and why Phoenix Strike and Dragon Flight, where does that fit in? I've never seen a Jedi make a flying kick sending meteors/sparks/ice bolts flying all over. I'm not even sure you can use that skill wielding Light Sabre, at least you can't with the other elemental charge-ups. Other things is the gear section: don't expect to get max block with a spirit Shield. And I won't even discuss your FHR rings and CBF amulets.

I am not the sin expert, I know jack about sins.
I'm no sin expert either, but I would expect a little bit more research before trying to write a guide. It seems the correct level to put the "guide" at would be something like "hey, I just had this great idea to make a jedi-style assasin wielding Lightsabre, any thoughts on it?" I love theory craft, but you went too far into the land of theories, sorry if I sounded harsh, I certainly meatn no harm.

Phalmos

Diabloii.Net Member
Well as I said, I honestly don't know the first basics about sins. It was just a concept I was putting out there, and this guide was written for a "fun idea" thread on my guild's forum, I just decided I'd put it here and see what people thought. Now that it's here, if anyone has better ideas for it, perhaps they could speak up and fill the holes they're tearing in it? I can take criticism, but seriously people, you could tell me what I can fix about the wrong things, not just tell me the wrong things, IMHO.

zarirazz

Diabloii.Net Member
hehe..how bout a jedi barb?same lightsabre,warcries as mind tricks n leap/leap attk as dat jedi jumpin thing...=P

tismevader

Diabloii.Net Member
if you want a jedi assa why not try a sith assa too
max lightning sentry and place them where you stand (therefore FORCE LIGHTNING)

Jackson

Diabloii.Net Member
Actually... wouldn't a red/blue/green sword of some kind have a better visual appeal than the Lightsaber?

Phalmos

Diabloii.Net Member
if you want a jedi assa why not try a sith assa too
max lightning sentry and place them where you stand (therefore FORCE LIGHTNING)
I had thought of that, but the original idea came form a sorc build over on the Sorc section about a Sith sorc

SSoG

Diabloii.Net Member
Actually... wouldn't a red/blue/green sword of some kind have a better visual appeal than the Lightsaber?
Socketing PGems is frequently enough to make a sword look pretty and colorful, although I'm not expert on jedi builds. There's a whole subsect of D2 that walks around making Jedizons and Jedisins that I'm sure will have some good lightsabre-y weapon recommendations.

Sir Dante

Diabloii.Net Member
You don't make Jedi's you make Sith.

Here is a real Sith build. It is a theme build and you will do things that make you less powerful to stick to the theme.

Here Is the skill layout of a Sith master.

Dragon Talon 20 (All Jedi and Sith use kicks at precise moments.)
Physic Hammer 20 (Force Push) Maxed for theme.
Mind Blast 20 (Mind Trick) Maxed for theme.
Fade 20 (Gives you that mysterious Sith Palpatine feel and is very useful.)
Shadow Warrior 20 (Warrior not Shadow Master because you are the master and the Warrior is your apprentice. Plus the Master uses skills that don't stick to the theme.)

No Merc. You can't make him look like a Stromtrooper and it destroys the theme.

These 5 skills and regular attack are the only skills you will ever use.

Weapon: Lightsabre socketed with a Red Ruby. Obviously the Red Ruby is used to make the Sabre Red just as Siths use.

Option 2: Crescent Moon Phase Blade. Since the chance to cast effects mirror Sith Lighting. The Problem is it will be Blue and not Red.

No Shield. You sacrifice this for theme. Maxed Fade will help you to make up those resists.

Harlequin Crest or Peasant Crown socketed with a Perfect Skull to make it Black. Now Caps are usually ugly but this is the easiest way to mirror the Black Hooded look.

Gladiator's Bane is the best armor available to mirror the Black Robe look.

The build has extreme survivabilty but slow killing. But Dragon Talon is good enough with a little crushing Blow and Gores or Shadow Dancers to allow you to kill.

To stick to the Theme try to lower monsters life to a sliver using Kicks then finish them with your Lightsabre with a regular attack.

This is to mirror physical Kicks and Punches being used in Duels to set up for the killing Blow.

Example Darth Maul before he killed Qui Gon. Or when the Emperor told Luke "Good use your aggressive feelings boy let the hate flow trough you." Or when Obi Won kicked off Anakin and Anakin said "You hesitate the flaw of compassion."

Try to fight things one at a time using Physic Hammer to seperate monsters. Just as Darth Maul seperated Obi Won from Qui Gon.

To really stick to the Theme get a good rare ring with Charged Bolt charges on it. This is not used in combat or to kill but used after you kill things.

Example stand over Baal's body and type "Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side" Then let those Charged Bolts fly.

I can't remember if you can get Telekenis Charges or not but if you can they are also good for the Theme of the build.

All your other gear should be the best stuff possible as well as charms. As they don't mess with you appearance on screen or destroy the theme.

If you are going to play Darth Vader then wear Vampire Gaze with a Perfect Skull and Corpsemourn.

stephan

Diabloii.Net Member
Somehow I feel the weapon should be two-handed. A one-handed sabre doesn't look very good to me...

Eilo Rytyj

Diabloii.Net Member
@ Sir Dante: Socketing Uniques doesn't change their colour, only normal items. You'd need to use a normal Cap, War Hat or Shako and socket it with Skulls for it to work.

Crystal Swords, Dimensional Blades and Phase Blades (i.e. Lightsabre) will only have their handles changed colour. You can see this by casting Enchant/Venom on yourself to make your weapon red/green. The blade always stays blue.

Why not socket a 2-handed sword with gems, or use a good 2-handed sword while Enchanted? That would look more like a Lightsabre to me.

Sir Dante

Diabloii.Net Member
@ Sir Dante: Socketing Uniques doesn't change their colour, only normal items. You'd need to use a normal Cap, War Hat or Shako and socket it with Skulls for it to work.

Are you sure. I recall a slight change. Now probably not the desired change as one would only socket such Gems for theme. If so a Jewelers/Mechanics Shako of the Whale with one Perfect Skull placed in first with another useful Jewel/Rune would be best.

One can keep Gladiator's Bane as it is already Black.

Why not socket a 2-handed sword with gems, or use a good 2-handed sword while Enchanted? That would look more like a Lightsabre to me.

Agreed. Lightsabre does not look as good but it has the name. A rare Legend Sword that has massive fire damage or leech would be best. Not sure which mod makes the rare sword red but one of those mods does.

zeskelnec

Diabloii.Net Member
This Jedi is as powerful as this one:

You put one point in each skill and apply this strategy.
Drag Flight then Phoenix then FB then MB then CoS then ....hum......oups already dead.

Frankly, how can you expect people to give you positive feedback and a constructive criticism on a built you did not even tested. Even if it was done with a bit of humor... but sorry.....you do not even mention Treachery!

one can estimate the load of work and we all congratulate you for the time you spent. Next time, you 'll get a better mark.