The "It Takes All Kinds" Tournament

skunkbelly

Diabloii.Net Member
All Hail The Locust Who Is Purple!

It is my great pleasure to announce that purplelocust is the official winner of the tournament! Congrats, and terrific work to you and all of your competition.

purplelocust

Diabloii.Net Member
skunkbelly said:
It is my great pleasure to announce that purplelocust is the official winner of the tournament! Congrats, and terrific work to you and all of your competition.
Thanks, it was quite fun! Thank you for coming up with the idea and running the tourney. And thanks to everyone for an engaging competition! I am a big fan of the Frost Zealot as a safe, good HC build with poor gear but I underestimated how hard a low-life melee character is to play in Hell. To be honest, I didn't think too hard about how the "all stats within 10" meant that life and blocking would be much worse than normal. I just thought about it in terms of how much of a waste of energy it was...

I think the druids had a big advantage with their life increase, and to be fair, I think the 10 point penalty for the overpowered builds (skelemancer, hammerdin, etc.) which seemed reasonable at the beginning was probably not enough. That is, if I had to do it again, I think it would be much easier to get 5 more quests/10 more waypoints (or some combination) with a skelemancer or hammerdin than it was to do it with the zealot.

Another thing I realized after well into the tourney is that melee characters have a disadvantage with the -1 point/level scoring system. Because of the "to hit" formula dependance upon the level difference, it's quite hard for a melee character to do ok in Hell without being level 70+ or having massive AR bonuses or ITD, whereas for a caster, causing damage doesn't really depend upon the level difference as much. A blessed aim merc would have helped a ton, but I wanted the might merc to help with life leech.

Take care, thanks again, and now I'm looking forward to getting going on your "99 items" tourney! I think that one won't take as much patience, but we'll see!