Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The Iraqi Mosque attack

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by jimmyboy, Apr 8, 2004.

1. jimmyboy

jimmyboy IncGamers Member

The Iraqi Mosque attack

Did we make a HUGE mistake in attacking out the mosque? Albeit I don't doubt that Iraqi gurillas were baracading the building, did we make one HUMONGOUS political blunder?

2. BooblestheDorf

BooblestheDorf Banned

Well, it's not the first one. But I bet we'd all be feeling a bit worse if they decided to crash a 747 into a church around here. Unfortunatly, we'd probably bomb canada.

3. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

eh I doubt it, even the Iraqis know that if you're using a mosque as a military base during conflict with the U.S military you're going to have your **** blown up. They'll act pissed, but it'll be more showcasing than anything else. IMO of course.

4. mysnistaken

mysnistaken Banned

well....it probably was a bad idea...but if all mosques became safe havens then US would be fighting for quite a while...if we aren't already

5. dantose

dantose IncGamers Member

Well they are safe havens till you go trying to shoot people from them. After that get ready for your 72 virginians

6. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Just add it to the list and go about your business.

7. cypresskicks

cypresskicks IncGamers Member

Be assured that the clearance of fires process over there is very labored. When I was there to, fire on a mosque you need clearance from a brigade level commander (for you non-military savvy people, its very high up there). If they fired at the mosque it was most likely a life or death scenario Its unfortunate that a place of worship was destroyed, but I think that the innocence of the people within said mosque is in question. I doubt that a mosque was indiscriminately fired on, the coalition command walks on hot coals around that issue, but the local fighters know that and use that to their advantage, it sends a good message that those who oppose coalition forces can't hide behind a shield of political correctness. The people who favor coalition forces had been ,in my experience, very understanding regarding collateral damage incurred in order to neutralize people causing instability in Iraq. The idea that destroying a mosque makes it a religious war is silly. The people who oppose coalition forces are fighting for Allah already.

8. jimmyboy

jimmyboy IncGamers Member

I don't doubt the tactical correctness nor the fact that gurillas were using it as a giant holy bunker. But still, I can't help but think that this may be the turning point in the war, for the worst. While we think that it's silly for grounds for a holy war, I have no doubts that this attack is run on Arabic TV, and taped for propaganda/recruiting purposes.

9. Freemason

Freemason Banned

So what if Al-Jazeera shows us attacking the mosque. Terrorists holed up in there after firing on us. We made no distinction in WWII when there were Germans in a church. Any building or structure that the enemy fires on you from becomes a legitimate military target. We showed great restraint in not simply putting a bigger bomb right in the middle of the mosque.

Remember, terrorists hide in amongst civilians, knowing we won't attack with our usual fereocity. What they failed to comprehend is how good our men really are. They died for that error.

10. Jackalofdoom

Jackalofdoom IncGamers Member

I think its a pathetic decision to label any and all resistance as terrorists, in iraq.

Its obviously resistance to the takeover, and reason the "terrorists hide among the civilians" is because they are civilians. Get used to it, its an unjust war. Civilians armed with 47's verses well trained army boys, its obvious who is going to win. Its also obvious the point of the take-over was unjust and illconcieved.

As for the attack which lead to several army boy's dead, I think its a tad convenient for making this war more justworthy. Rather than searching for "weapons of mass destruction" which were never found nor had evidence they have ever existed, they should try and COMPLETE their first goal, killin bin laden.

11. Freemason

Freemason Banned

Yup, another doom-and-gloomer. :cheesy:

12. SirKnightmare

SirKnightmare IncGamers Member

The attack on the mosque could be interpreted as an attack on the religion. If it is Iraq is going to become another Vietnam as Islamics from all over will join the fight against America.

Don't call me a "doom-and-gloomer" Freemason because I'm not. The 600 mark was recently passed in US soldiers dead, HELL YEAH!!!! Lets celebrate with a party at Arlington, not like they had families or anything.

13. Freemason

Freemason Banned

By whom? The terrorists that already hate us? I don't care if they see it as an attack on Islam. To them it's already a jihad.

14. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

Smeg,

Perhaps it just an impression, but lately ... rather than debating the facts, you seem to simply brand people with convenient labels if they somehow disagree with your gung-ho, war hawk political views.

Perhaps this is a carryover from your idea that everyone in Iraq who resists our colonial occupation is a "terrorist".

This article may illuminate you on what is happening in Iraq:

more ... http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/08/international/middleeast/08SHIA.html?hp

You started a thread today with a scenario that the Chinese invaded America. Lets play your game here and assume they did so. Let's even go further and assume they soundly defeat us and occupy our country.

Would you consider any young American men who subsequently attacked these occupying Chinese military (and utilitized guerrilla-style tactics) to be terrorists.... or patriots?

Think about it.

15. mysnistaken

mysnistaken Banned

hmm...that article really made me wonder...first they celebrate..then they go and begin an insurgency...Bush really should've just left these people alone

16. swami

swami Banned

No, it's the resistance movement, not terrorists, that will be bolstered by mightily ticked off muslims. The americans screwed up (surprise, surprise!:uhhuh: ).

Hopefully the resistance gathers greater pace and gives Captin America hell :thumbsup:

17. Der Gamer

Der Gamer IncGamers Member

A little off topic, but if anyone is a war buff here..than you know how similiar it is to the Vietnam conflict. Sure, they've been talking about it on the news too, but if you compare and contrast..you will find a lot of similarities between the two

18. Freemason

Freemason Banned

How broad based is three towns that have been hotbeds of Baathist leftovers and foreign terrorists? If it were broad based it'd be as far away as Basra.
    Maybe you're thinking this is their version of the Tet Offensive. Might I remind you that we kicked the crap out of the VC during Tet?

If not him, then who? He's the one leading this pissant uprising. He has what? A majority of three towns? All of which are surrounded and are being reclaimed by men who've spent years training for exactly this. This article makes it sound like this is something terrible.

Do you believe that such a tiny portion of the Iraqi population represents the whole country? These guys have been oppressed for decades. They're trying for a power grab.

Three towns. This isn't large.

What have I been saying? Iran and Syria have been doing everything possible to create a civil war. Support two factions, then get them to fight everybody. Divide and conquer. It's been the MO for millenia. Iran and Syria (and Saudia Arabia as well) fear a free and democratic Iraq. The strings being pulled are so obvious.

No, it's one track. Foreign nations are trying to rip Iraq apart. Despite what you'd like to see happen, we're not going to let that happen.

And left them under Saddam? Is this what the left has come to? That oppression, random killings, **** rooms, toruture chambers, fear, hate, etc. is better than freedom? Is that what you'd like to see? For us to run away and let something like or worse than Saddam to come back?

That would only encourage them to attack us. All it'd take is kill some of our men brutally and we'll roll over and give up. That's the cowards way and only leads to death and slavery.

19. mysnistaken

mysnistaken Banned

Well look at the mess we've gotten ourselves into..the Iraqis are not gonna let themselves be controlled by "inferior" people such as us...besides it was their problem..they should have dealt with it and its not like they asked for help.

20. Shug_Ninx

Shug_Ninx IncGamers Member

Further down the road, thats going to include more British, Polish, Japanese and Korean dead. I'd hate to say it but I think the only logical goal we can accomplish now is to defeat the insurrection and pull out, with the hope that the UN gets involved somehow and helps police Iraq. We may have to accept that Democracy will never happen to Iraq, and that we might be better off with a [somewhat] antagonistic Islamic republic then an endless civil war.

It was foolish of us to think that we could go in there and liberate them, and them welcome us with open arms and accept a future democratic government under our occupation.