Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The insightmerc?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Knigen, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Knigen

Knigen IncGamers Member

The insightmerc?

how does this work...its somekind of synergybug?

couple of questions:

1. does it still work?
    2 wich merc is it?
    3 i practically dont need manapots anymore with this?

thx

/knigen

2. IntellectSucks

IntellectSucks IncGamers Member

Re: The insightmerc?

It's not a bug, just an act 2 merc equipped with the runeword "Insight" (Ral, Tir, Tal, Sol in 4os Polearm). Insight provides a meditation aura which increases the rate at which you regain mana. Most times a sorc won't ever need to use mana potions with a meditation aura active. it also comes with some other nifty bonuses, dig it up on the Arreat Summit for the full stats. (I would link to it but I'm at work and they block that site). Oh and when making this runeword make sure that you are using a 4os POLEARM and not SPEAR. I can't tell you how many Ral, Tir, Tal, Sol sets I wasted before I figured out the difference.

3. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack IncGamers Member

If you use an act 2 combat merc from normal difficulty, then you get prayer and meditation synergized with prayer - you don't need health pots either. You will of course need rejuvs for emergencies, but you can run with no blues or reds.

4. IntellectSucks

IntellectSucks IncGamers Member

Whoa, I never knew that. No wonder my prayer merc has been so awesome!!!

5. DiabloLikesMMA

DiabloLikesMMA IncGamers Member

Also make sure you get at least an elite polearm, eth colossus voulge is always the cheapest but man does it pack a punch. beware of the 200 strength required though.

6. Knigen

Knigen IncGamers Member

hi everyone...i now decided to build this merc....but as i do alot of diabloruns i have a question about equipment

will the insightmerc be fragile with a normal voulge?...im trying to avoid ironmaiden deaths...im playing a hammerdin myself

and what about armor?...ive heard rumors that you can get a stone runeword in an ebugged armor and the defense goes over 5k....is that true?...ive done some calculating but it doesnt add up

and how does a high def stone compare to a fortitude...or should i choose something else?

7. Robobaby

Robobaby IncGamers Member

Eth bugging is pretty simple - you get a non superior ethereal armour. Lets just use Sacred Armour as an example. It can have up to 600 defense. Eth bonus = 50% more defense so a perfect Eth Sacred Armour has 900 defense.

You stick it in the cube with Tal + Thul + Ptopaz to cube socket it. The bug is that the 50% eth bonus applies again so take 50% of 900 and add it on. 900 + 450 = 1350 defense. This is your eth bugged base.

Stone runeword give you up to +290% enhanced defense + 300 defense vs. missiles so 1350 x 3.9 = 5265 defense or 5565 defense vs. missiles.

Fortitude runeword gives you +200% enhanced defense + 15 defense = (1350 x 3) + 15 = 4065 defense.

The best thing about Fortitude is not the huge defense. Its the +300% enhanced damage which is cumulative with the ed you get from an Insight or Infinity elite polearm. It turns your merc into a total killing machine.

If you want your merc to do killer damage you want to make an Insight runeword in a polearm that does high base damage and has fairly good attack speed. That narrows it down to one of a few elite polearms provided your merc can meet the strength requirements. Insight gives up to +260% enhanced damage which is cumulative with the 300% enhanced damage you get from Fortitude. Basically, Fortitude will pretty much double your mercs damage when you have it equipped and it should already be high with an Insight elite polearm.

I wouldn't use a high damage polearm or Fortitude in Chaos Sanctuary since Iron Maiden will return that damage and then some. Basically your merc will constantly one hit kill himself. Its so fast you wont even see it happening.

8. Robobaby

Robobaby IncGamers Member

Meditation aura:

Insight is a good runeword for low level 1 point warmth/0 energy sorcs and it remains decent if you don't have a large amount of +skills, even at high level. The runes are all cheap and easy to find so its an all round good choice until you find you definitely need something else. Infinity for Conviction aura is probably the most common one you will see around here though if you no longer need to rely on Meditation aura and you don't want Infinity, you may as well aim to get your merc swinging Breath of the Dying instead since outside of auras the huge IAS, damage, life leech and +stats is pretty much everything you want out of your merc.

If you have alot of +skills you will eventually find that the passive mana regen from warmth + a decent sized mana pool is enough to absorb the cost of spamming costly skills like Lightning even at 117% FCR. At that point, the meditation aura from Insight isn't really needed and the main reason for retaining Insight is for the other nice bonuses it gives you like huge damage for your merc and + MF.

All 1 point warmth/0 energy sorcs will experience massive mana problems in the early game and will continue to have mana problems spamming expensive non timered skills like Lightning/Chain Lightning until they can get enough + mana/+ x% increased maximum mana items and enough +skills in Warmth to cover the cost.

My initial transition to Infinity was somewhat difficult because my sorc came to rely on Meditation aura for mana and I needed more +skills and about 200 mana from charms and items before I could really spam Lightning without running out of energy in a couple of minutes. Now its fine and I can spam all day.

9. McCain123

McCain123 IncGamers Member

I have some good and some bad news for you. The good news is that mercs survive even with a Voulge in their hands and my sorc´s mercs don´t kill themseves if they get cursed and I tele out. The bad news is, that you on the other hand play a Hammerdin and the Concentration aura will increase the damage, so that your merc will sometimes still onehit himself. If you plan to do CS-runs with a Hammerdin, I would go with an act3 merc with a Lawbringer runeword.

10. Knarlfist

Knarlfist IncGamers Member

11. TheBigClown

TheBigClown IncGamers Member

Could someone explain what this is all about? "prayer and meditation synergized with prayer"? Does it have to be a merc from normal instead of hell?

12. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

He's saying the Meditation aura from Insight synergizes the Prayer aura from the merc (or vise versa :p)- creating a very decent amount of regeneration (about +60 life per second later on, on top of the great mana regeneration).

Prayer+Insight is one of my favourite merc setups, because as mentioned, you barely need potions at all.

As for hiring in Hell vs. Normal... the mercs stats, skills, hitpoints, resists, & whatever are slightly better if hired in Normal. Basically every 'useful' stat is slightly better. So it does make sense to hire your mercs as early as possible. Otherwise Hell mercs will work just fine, but you're settling for a slightly crappier merc by choosing them.

13. McCain123

Some fact´s about the Insight-Prayer-Merc.

If you pick a merc from normal ( wich makes sense, because he has better stats than his pendant in hell ) he will have reached the highest Prayer aura at level 75. At level 75 he has a Prayer aura of level 18, which means you regenerate 21 life / 2 seconds. If you give that merc an Insight, the Meditaion aura will get synergized by his prayer level and regenerate 21 life / 2 seconds aswell. So now you are regenerating 21 life / second. If you give that merc +skill items, those will increase the benefit of both auras. +2 skills is max on the haed gear and +2 is max on his bodyarmor, so you can increase his aura to level 22, wich would result in 29 life / second. For low life builds ( like high level e-shield sorcs ) this is crazy fast, for all others´this is a decent life regeneration that often cancels the effect of poison.

14. guface

guface IncGamers Member

I was under the impression that the latest 2 patches made mercs the same base whenever you hire them. Ie if you hire normal merc when youre level 1 or level 90 makes no difference, they all end up the same. (except through different difficulties ofc)

15. TheBigClown

So at lvl 75 with + 2 skills Prayer will regenerate 25 life / second.

I accually do have a (hell) Prayer merc with insight. I did discover that the life regeneration is good, but I didn't know that Meditation synergized with Prayer - I just thought the Prayer lvl was very high. Before choosing the Prayer merc I checked The Arreat Summit, but it didn't say anything about Prayer being capped at lvl 18. Neither anything about Meditation nor + to skills items.

I've been wanting to upgrade my merc's items for some time, but I have been too lazy as the merc do okay. I guess this is a good time (hoping to get some advise).

I'm doing destruns exclusively (plz keep that in mind).

Weapon: Insight Scythe. I don't want my merc to kill anything. I just want Meditation and Prayer. It works fine. This is just my playingstyle, which I like and don't feel like changing (I do keep a Reaper's Toll in my cube, that I put on, when the bastard is cold and lightning immune - I run a light/cold soso).

Helm: 3 x sol'ed elite helm. I'll change this to a Shako (with a ral rune). For my playingstyle Shako would be better than Andariel's Visage (don't want the ias nor the -fire resist). The DR on Shako is nice as well.

Armour (read: ?????): Ebugged nef_lum armour. I don't know what this should be. I can't afford a +2 skill armour (and therefore I can't afford Fortitude either). I've been thinking about an upped Shaftstop, G-Bane, Ebugged Stone or a Ebugged Gloom (I have no experience with lv 3 Dim Vision - would this make any difference?). Have I forgotten some options? I like the DR on a Shaftstop.

Edit: Perhaps a +2 Valor would make a nice armour? Will he benefit from the + to vitality?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  16. McCain123

Yes to the first.

If your merc is from hell difficulty his prayer aura is always level 16, no matter what your or his level is. So with +2 you are back at 21 life / second.

17. sirpoopsalot

The act/difficulty where you hire them still matters for their stats. That's what I was trying to say by "early".

Your character level does not have any effect beyond the mercs level.

18. TheBigClown

I just bought me a normal one. And I don't even have to lvl him (lvl **) for him to be better than my former lvl 92 from hell.

Any ideas about the armour situation?

19. sirpoopsalot

Insight + Prayer mercs are a little more fragile than most of their Act2 counterparts. To combat that, I like to boost offense as much as I can, meaning either Fortitude for area runs, or Duress for boss runs. Since this leaves you without leech, it means you'll probably want leech on your helm. VampGaze, Andy's Visage and Tal's Mask are my favourites, with Crown of Thieves being a good choice if your merc needs +dex.

If I had CoH armour I'd consider pairing it with a Guillaume's Face for the nice boost to CB too.

20. Garisdacar

Garisdacar IncGamers Member

mercs do not benefit from +vitality, iirc.