Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The infamous Jab nerf ..

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by Spookie, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Spookie

Spookie Diabloii.Net Member

A long time ago (version 1.09?), pre henchies, pre expansion, I had a Spearazon that I used to farm Chaos with. I would clear the sanctuary with Multi and Guided then Jab Diablo to death. It took me along time to kill Dia but I would drop him, with regularity too.

Back in those days a Zon that could totally clear Chaos and Kill Dia was somewhat of a rarity. I had more than a few Sorcs and Barbs scratching their heads going, "Huh?"

Then came patching and expansions, and the infamous Jab nerf. Suddenly Jab did not ignore weapon speed. I remember feeling my Beloved Zon was not the same anymore. I was unable to clear the Chaos anymore, and it didn't matter much since the end game had moved to the Worldstone Keep - far and beyond what I could handle, nerf or no nerf.

My rant, and it's been a long time brewing, is what was so overpowered about Jab that it had to be nerfed? Sure, I was able to kill Diablo solo in an 8 player game, but so could Sorcs and Barbs - and they were far more effecient at it than I. A couple times I was sitting there Jabbing Dia for over 5min or so and some Barb just came down and WW'd through Dia a few times to Kill Steal it from me.

I don't see how Jab was over-powered at all, and I don't understand why it was nerfed. Contrast Jab in it's original form (ignore weapon speed) to Blessed Hammers + Concentration in it's CURRENT STATE!!

Jab = single target killer far from overpowered - nerfed

Blessed Hammers + Concentration = multi target killer extremely overpowered - not nerfed

Anyway, stuff like this really pisses me off - I'm grumpy and ranting. :(

2. zallus

zallus Diabloii.Net Member

Re: The infamous Jab nerf ..

Why don't you just switch to charged strike and be the fastest boss killer in the whole game?

3. Spookie

Oh these days I'm currently playing a Light Jav, I don't yet feel like the fastest boss killer but I'm working on it. :)

I still don't understand the Jab nerf, it makes little sense to me - I probably never will. :)

4. zzzackkk

zzzackkk Diabloii.Net Member

They probably just wanted everything in the game to run off the same basis. They wanted to try to even out the skills by making them all effected by weapon speeds. I don't know, Blizzard is Blizzard...

5. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

Read this guide. It will show you the calculations on why a lit jav is one of the fastest killers int he game. These calculations do not show up on the LCS so when a lit sorc laughs at you after you tell him what it says you can feel all smug and safe in your knowledge that you do more damage.

Best info is after post 57. This is pre-1.11 however but nothing changed in 1.11/1.12 for lit zon damage.

http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127612

6. Spookie

Thanks alot Dacar, I'll check that out.

7. Spookie

After having read much of that thread all I can say is WHOA!!!

Personally I maxed out LF and CS and have been building the other synergies around them - I just have to figure out how to get +20 skills like Jek. :)

Oh and LI's, I usually just run from them if my Titan's doesn't cut them down quick enough.

Thanks again for that link - great read.

8. superdave

superdave Diabloii.Net Member

9. Arkardo

Arkardo Diabloii.Net Member

I guess the ignoring speed thing was a glitch and Blizzard decided to patch it. Also, it's a level 1 skill (right?), so maybe they wanted to tone it down for that reason. Then again, Raise Skeleton got a major boost in 1.10...

10. cmc

cmc Diabloii.Net Member

Ha, the jabazon was the very first character I played in DII. I think as a melee'r the Amazon is one of the most challenging characters to play. Where as the Barbarian and Paladin can fall back on their vitality or defensive ability respectively, the fragile and vulnerable Amazon was on the edge of death and one slip up could (and would) spell doom for our pig-tailed hero. In large fights it was a hit and run affair with me in strategic retreat, being surrounded with no where to run usually led to a deafening scream :whistling:. I would pick off at the fringes the weakest foe and one-by-one they'll fall to the mighty pointy stick. You got the satisfaction of each and every kill cause it was hard earned :smug:. Then came the patch that wrecked it entirely. I always wondered why they remove a build that actually required skill to play.

11. Spookie

I like the way you put that - perfect!