Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The importance of resistances in Classic.

Discussion in 'Classic' started by liekki, Jun 30, 2008.

1. liekki

liekki IncGamers Member

The importance of resistances in Classic.

Hey,

I know resistances are probably the most important stat a character can have (with health), atleast on hardcore and up until recently, I've been under the impression that one should stack Lightning, Cold and Fire resistances and somewhat ignore poison unless it comes as an extra. But after reading some guides on this site, I noticed people are ignoring cold and getting poison resists instead.

Is cold resistance really that useless? Is poison that useful? What are your thoughts?

2. EagleEntek

EagleEntek IncGamers Member

Re: The importance of resistances in Classic.

Ive built a barb with maxed natural res and worn max res gear, with not much life - who dies a fair bit from light+fire enchanted monsters and takes a fair old wack from lightning enchanted monsters period.

However, a barb with 3000 life and virtually no res (another test build of mine) has run areas packed with lightning enchanted monsters in hell and took little to no damage - probably i suspect due to the large amount of life and the damage done appearing to remove so little health.

From my experience - lots of life and res = no die (duh)
    BUT - lots of life and little res = also no die.
    Ergo - little life and stacked res = still take dmg = die more often.

In answer to the cold/poisen thing - im sure many would say the same as i - stack for the area your questing in - act 2 generaly needs more poisen res - due to corpses that puff green clouds when dead, unravellers that blast you with death breath that makes all your health dissapear :yes:
    Cold res normaly for cold enchanted popper bosses, and act 3 - as those red monster men that look like little old grannies generally cast blizzard on you and mephisto can sometimes do it too.
    Oh lets not forget the good ole CS too - the bone mages cast a variety of colored spells at you that all do nasty things and again poisen although overlooked can drain allllll that health off if hes a boss or something similiar.

Me personally i stack fire and light, with maybe a bit of cold to boost over the red in hell.

3. liekki

liekki IncGamers Member

Thanks for your post EagleEntek.

As a hardcore player, I personally always try to have max life and resistances and yet I still come close to death when dealing with enchanted elite mobs. I know that if cursed, you can go down from 100% to 0% in a spit second. But are combinations such as LE&FE the stuff that actually hurt me? (Even with 75% resistances that is)

Cold doesn't seem to be as dangerous than fire and lightning, to be honest and I've considered poison resist as a luxury because it can be, almost always, healed through with a potion.

And if you look at added damage from perfect gems when socketed into a weapon:
    Topaz: 1 - 40 Lightning
    Sapphire: 10 - 14 Cold (+ chill effect)

The topaz provides alot more damage than the sapphire, so could we assume the power of the enemies' abilities follow this trend? If so, cold doesn't seem nearly as dangerous as lightning, which is very random and thus deadly.

What do you think?

4. Lorg

Lorg IncGamers Member

Extra resist do not hurt. You can be cursed, while under influence of conviction. Cs has plenty of venom lords that can deal significant dmg if they surround u and you happen to lag just that moment. resistances should be stacked especially in hell for fire and light. Cold and poison are not as important, but can be concidered as luxury. Still i would not keep em lower than 20 myself. If you do andy/memph glitcher you should try to bring poison res up too. Especially if you dont have access to self bo. Andy can deal quite a bit dmg to fragile sorc. All it takes to get unwanted deeds from her is a bad lag and overconfidence.

In cs its important to rember that de-seis minions with fana + extra fast spawn can deal significant physical dmg. Therefore, i recommend 30/20 shield and deacent defence gear (helps to have shout ofcourse) with sufficient faster hit rec point. Higher level helps somewhat to this as chance to hit takes level difference into account Iirc.

5. purplelocust

purplelocust IncGamers Member

As far as cold and poison resistances, remember that antidote and thawing potions raise your max resistances as well, and that the durations stack. So for HC play, it may be wise to chug a bunch of resist potions before setting out from town. It's a standard thing for me to buy and drink 12 thawing potions before stepping into Duriel's chamber, for example.

6. Palm

Palm IncGamers Member

In general the importance of resists are as follows:

1. fire
    2. light
    3. cold
    4. poison.

Why? because its proportional to the burst damage (how fast the damage is) of the types of attacks. Since poison is the one with least burst its less dangerous but that is just in general, i.e if you are going to kill andy poison is the most important res at that moment.

the burst dmg of fire comes from skills like the inferno of venom lords in cs and it is VERY important that you max res and stack res for when you get cursed/aura'ed.

Light dmg is spikey, and therefore potentially burst prone, by nature, i.e 1-99999 type damage with low min and high max values. also things like light enched mobs have extreme burst on low ress targets.

as for cold, one form of cold burst you have to watch out for is cold enched mob modifier. other than that there is not much burst in most situations but watch out for blizzard effect in travincal and mephistos ball.

its good you are playing hc, you will get very good at the game because the secret to this game is to think defensively.

7. fledgeling

fledgeling IncGamers Member

Id say that lightning damage is the most dangerous, but Im thinking mostly of plains of despair (the ghosts throwing lightnings) and lightning enchanted monsters in general.
    Your preferred resistances depend mostly on the place where your character goes to - you will probably wont 75 fire resists in chaos sanctuary (or even +max resists), as well as in travincal.
    Poison damage seems to very irritating, because a good posion hit can stop your potions from working (the mages in CS, travincal to some degree, andariel). I have no clue where do you find monsters that do a lot of posion damage though.
    As for cold damage, it mostly depends on the place where you go to, mephisto seems to use a cold attack, but ~40 ColdRes seems to be enough.
    My glitcher for example, has quite low fire resistance and can quickly destroy both andariel and mephisto. No idea about other areas.

8. sumzy

sumzy IncGamers Member

they started getting pr when i made a poison nec

once resistances are maxed hp and fhr is more important regardless of lower res and convic

9. barty

barty IncGamers Member

i am a hardcore player as well, and id have to agree and say fire/light most important. for pvm that is. of course all the cr u can get is needed for dueling a cold sorc with max mastery, or light res for foh pally dueling with conv, but for pvm fire/light tops my shopping list. poison can be cured 99% of the time [cept that poison bug in act2 at the staff, cold worm the burrower or whatever,it dont quit till u heal from a npc[last i checked], so no point in trying to max poison res. cold resists can be supplemented by thawing pots, which effectively add to res and cure cold slow.this allows you to add a certain% cold res at all times, so say u find a 10 fhr 30 lr 30 fr helm, drink a thaw pot and it turns into that helm +xxxxxxxxx cold res :),think of it like that and 2x res helms suddenly become 3x res, or actually a 3x res turns into a 4x res........ end game lvling usually done in cs as well, most dmg coming from le/convict bosses/mobs and those pesky venom lords, and dont forget about infector with conviction, ive seen lag deaths in <1 second on some pretty gg cahracters [some of my own as well, not as gg but good]
    so id have to say the following and agreee with the above :
    1.fire
    2.light
    3.cold
    4.poison
    my .02. btw, ty to purplelocust, i didnt know pots stacked duration, ima get drunk on thaw pots before every cs now, heck they are only like 25 gold LMAO GG TY PURP.

10. HegemonKhan

HegemonKhan IncGamers Member

i agree with most said here. my thoughts on the matter:

most deadly/important resists to least deadly/important resists:

1. fire and lit (lightning)

if i had to pick, it'd be fire, ONLY because fire is most common elem damage type u will encounter throughout all of d2. but otherwise they are equal.

both fire and lit do huge damage (1-3 hit killers from when u have -? % resists to +50% resists, even with high life) (u must have at least near 75% resists for fire and lit) and rip u apart, and are common elem damages done by monsters. Getting hit by late hell monsters doing fireballs (lich-mages), infernos (vemon lords), firewalls (lich-mages), lightning (lit ghosts in act 3 and act 4), diablo and council members fire and lit attacks, meph lit bolts, etc., will wipe u out without decent life and at least near 75% resist for fire and lit.

2. cold

a thaw potion gives u +50% resist up to 50% resist for character and UNthaws u. more thaw potions increase duration as already mentioned. this right here makes cold resist not as important as u can get FREE cold resist from a ~50 gold thawing pot (just remember and/or get into the habit of drinking them before u leave town).

either cold damage isnt that common and/or does low damage making it hardly dangerous for most of d2.

HOWEVER, there are a few areas/monsters that/who DO have HIGH damage cold attacks. meph's ice ball is one. another are the act3 casters who do blizard and lightning attacks. Any cold enchanted monster is dangerous, of course. also the ice ball spitting monsters are very dangerous too.

HOWEVER 2 (IMO), cold archers, (if u do NOT have CBF gear, and low cold resist) are probably the 2nd most dangerous encounter in d2 (the lightning ghosts-gloams in hell act 3 and act 4 are most dangerous even with high lit resist and high life).

3. poison

poison also has a pot (antedote) bonus. see #2 cold about pots. also poison itself can NOT kill u (it can only take u down to 1 life, however i think many poison attacks also do phys damage, like andarial's poison balls, so be careful). so for the most part poison is the least dangerous of the 4 elem damage.

HOWEVER, there are a few places/monsters that/who DO huge poison damage per attack or different attacks stack poison causing the same effect of huge damage to u. some examples for monsters are andarial and the magot boss at the staff item cave. any place that has the undead corpses, zombies, and mummies do lots of poison damage like act 2 like sewers/tombs/etc and lost city and act 3 like durance of hate (DOH) areas (DOH 1-3).

11. Lorg

Lorg IncGamers Member

Unfortunately pots do stack in duels too. Negating cold and poison quite efficiently :(