Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The "I am Overburdened" Tournament!

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Dazliare, May 27, 2019.

1. jonnyphive

jonnyphive Diabloii.Net Member

Well, if my logic is wrong then I certainly hope someone else comes along to correct me, because that would be fantastic information to have. :)

2. Jocular

Jocular Diabloii.Net Member

I went into the archives:rolleyes: and found it:
    https://www.diabloii.net/forums/thr...p-and-running-thread-2nd-round.966374/page-11

Gripphon, if you have a mo', do you remember what you meant by this? You're responding to someone asking the optimal amount of mf% for rare rings from trav. Is this just for rings? Or is this the optimal amount of mf if one wanted to maximize rare drops of all item types above anything else. Thanks!

jonnyphive likes this.
  3. PhineasB

PhineasB Diabloii.Net Member

Sorry, I can't add anything to the "sweet spot" for rare odds question. But I can add an update!

Our intrepid explorers progressed to the Frigid Highland, stopping after taking down Shenk. As foreshadowed in my last update, Septimus used his NM respec to go pure fire, abandoning the hybrid elemental approach. It was p7 full-clear, except Diablo and de Seis (see below), but drops were pretty limited.

The Plains rolled gloams, which was managed easily enough. And Izual was much easier than expected, taking a little more than a minute, which was nice:
    A4 NM (Izual).jpg
    A nice pair of rare boots dropped (I think in City of the Damned), which replaced 17 LR boots of luck (32MF) that he'd shopped earlier in the act. Basically, I figured the small loss of MF was well worth the higher lightning resist and other mods. HF was a Lem:
    A4 NM (Rare boots).jpg A4 NM (HF Lem).jpg
    My persistence in using all his gold to gamble Polearms paid off, with what was a major upgrade and increased physical damage on the merc's weapon by nearly 75% once up'ed:
    A4 NM (upped Merc Weapon).jpg
    That set the stage for CS, which was as tough as I had expected. The FI knights hit hard, and the OKs mostly cast amp to make it even harder. The druid could do little except target the OKs with volcano because he couldn't focus damage on the FI knights being targeted by merc and grizzly. So there were quite a bunch of strategic retreats to stretch out the FI knights, and also a few merc resurrections needed.

Infector had the hook layout, so we cast a TP and came back from the WP to avoid any risk. I had planned on bumping down to p1 for Diablo, and given difficulty with FI knights, I decided to clear everything but de Seis and then go to p1 for him and Diablo. Safely navigated, with a nice FCR ring dropping in CS, and then Diablo dropping nothing useful:
    A4 NM (FCR ring).jpg A4 NM (Diablo fight).jpg
    It was nice to be away from FIs again in the Foothills, and uneventful up to the first WP.

I hope to shop a 4os gothic plate with useful secondary mod from Larzuk this evening, but will likely run out of patience and go back to Nihl runs with the untwinked necro.

Good luck!

The Overburdened
    Code:
    Forum Name      Hero Name      Class       Level     HC/SC    Last Waypoint         Personalized Item
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    PhineasB        Septimus       Druid          67     SC       Frigid Highland NM    -
    Kstil3227       CaptainAmerica Paladin        64     HC       Pand. Fortress NM     -
    Babyhell        BabyBeasts     Druid          50     SC       Stony field NM        -
    Oakbrain        Izaida         Assassin       49     HC       Black Marsh NM        -
    Dazliare        Melisandre     Assassin       49     HC       Dark Wood NM          -
    hackedagainanda Oxygen         Paladin        42     HC       Cold Plains NM        -
    jonnyphive      Barb           Barbarian      32     HC       Pandemonium Fortress  -
    Rosy Maple      Malice         Assassin       28     HC       Kurast Docks          -
    Chaostar        Triin          Amazon         25     HC       Arcane Sanctuary      -
    Ghonn           Orianna        Amazon         21     SC       Lut Gholein           -
    Maltatai        Theodora       Sorceress      21     SC       Lut Gholein           -
    Pb_pal          Thangail       Paladin        20     HC       Lut Gholein           -
    Jocular         DontTazeMe     Necromancer    18     HC       The Jail              -
    Hutton          Boris          Necromancer    15     HC       Dark Wood             -
    CaseyJones      Ninjara        Assassin       14     HC       Dark Wood             -
    Peytron         Lawrence       Barbarian       1     SC       Rogue Encampment      -
    srrw            TBA            TBA             0     HC       Rogue Encampment      -
    Code:

The Unburdened
    Code:
    Forum Name      Hero Name      Class       Level     HC/SC    Last Waypoint         Personalized Item
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dazliare        Tryste         Sorceress     >33     HC       City of the Damned    -
    Jocular         Flick          Druid          23     HC       The Maggot Lair       -

4. Pb_pal

Pb_pal Diabloii.Net Member

I'm still going!

First order of business upon reaching the desert was to say goodbye to the Rogue and hire a Town Guard to help with tanking duties. We hired ourselves a Prayer merc and headed straight for the cube. Once we found it, we cubed our chippies (other than diamonds of course) and made some much-needed stash space, as well as a new weapon for the merc. Combined with Concentration (even at slvl 1), the merc worked through the second act like a hot knife through butter. Thangail gladly embraced his new role as merc-follower-and-occasional-smiter-for-crowd-control to take advantage of the mercs extra MF.

Thangail worked his way to the Staff of Kings before realizing he forgot to go back and kill Radament, so naturally that was his next job. He hit lvl 24 in the Lost City which opened up Holy Shield and Conversion. Conversion for now is not being used, but I am excited to see how it will help with crowd control later on.

A nice little addition to the eth grail in the CVT, and Fangskin was no match for the merc (or smite, for that matter). The duo cruised their way through the Arcane Sanctuary (finding an unuseable Cathans Seal along the way) and headed directly for the true tomb.

Duriel was actually easier than I thought he'd be. Vengeance and the merc took him down handily, with only a handful of merc resurrections needed.

[​IMG]

Off to the jungle!

Thangail the Smite/Conversion Paladin with Fazel The Prayer Guard - lvl 25(I think), Kurast Docks

The Overburdened
    Code:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    PhineasB        Septimus       Druid          67     SC       Frigid Highland NM    -
    Kstil3227       CaptainAmerica Paladin        64     HC       Pand. Fortress NM     -
    Babyhell        BabyBeasts     Druid          50     SC       Stony field NM        -
    Oakbrain        Izaida         Assassin       49     HC       Black Marsh NM        -
    Dazliare        Melisandre     Assassin       49     HC       Dark Wood NM          -
    hackedagainanda Oxygen         Paladin        42     HC       Cold Plains NM        -
    jonnyphive      Barb           Barbarian      32     HC       Pandemonium Fortress  -
    Rosy Maple      Malice         Assassin       28     HC       Kurast Docks          -
    Chaostar        Triin          Amazon         25     HC       Arcane Sanctuary      -
    Pb_pal          Thangail       Paladin        25     HC       Kurast Docks          -
    Ghonn           Orianna        Amazon         21     SC       Lut Gholein           -
    Maltatai        Theodora       Sorceress      21     SC       Lut Gholein           -
    Jocular         DontTazeMe     Necromancer    18     HC       The Jail              -
    Hutton          Boris          Necromancer    15     HC       Dark Wood             -
    CaseyJones      Ninjara        Assassin       14     HC       Dark Wood             -
    Peytron         Lawrence       Barbarian       1     SC       Rogue Encampment      -
    srrw            TBA            TBA             0     HC       Rogue Encampment      -
    Code:

The Unburdened
    Code:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dazliare        Tryste         Sorceress     >33     HC       City of the Damned    -
    Jocular         Flick          Druid          23     HC       The Maggot Lair       -

peytron, Jocular, PhineasB and 2 others like this.
  5. jonnyphive

Hmm, well if that "sweet spot" is true, that's very good to know. I'm still around 120% MF for me and 146% MF for the merc, so either way not quite there yet.

@PhineasB Nice progress. You and @Pb_pal's Klaus are really making fire druids look appealing. I think I'll make and Aldur's set-based one, most likely incorporating some fire facets into all those sockets. Once I find the armor, at any rate.

Barb has completed Act 4 and is resting in Harrogath, so it's time for an update!

I've been a bit delinquent in showing stats/skills for Barb so far, so I promptly took a picture of the wrong skill tab for everyone. At least you can still get a feel for his stats:

[​IMG]

As you can see, I have no more than 1 point in any combat skill, although that will start to change once BO is maxed. I have 5 in FI and 5 in Sword Mastery; other than that it has been pre-reqs and BO only. Also, my damage remains pitiful, and it's even worse when using Normal Attack (which is most of the time due to lack of mana leech). I have started hoarding +elemental damage charms to scrape and claw for every little bit of hurt I can manage. The upside, I suppose, is that I can contribute to the team's total damage output while scoring very few kills myself, thereby allowing Neeraj's added MF to be applied the vast majority of the time. I found this interesting sword in Jamella's shop and seriously considered ditching my magic/socketed flamberge for it.

Izual was not much of a threat, although he took a long time to bring down (as you'd expect). Still, I managed to grab what is now probably my favorite Izzy death animation screenshot:

[​IMG]

Pretty cool how he's collapsing in on himself.

The remainder of the three "above ground" areas were all pretty straight-forward, with a nice pair of runes dropping not long after finishing off Izual. No need for them yet, but still nice to have. We continued to use the terrain to our advantage, although that was less helpful when dealing with Stranglers and their homing missiles.

In the River of Flame, we came across large groups on a handful of occasions, but I've come to realize that the RoF is one of the easiest areas to pin enemies down into nice safe funnels, such as while fighting this Venom Lord boss pack:

[​IMG]

I next found a Sol rune, thereby solidifying what I consider very good rune drops for A4 normal (Thul, Amn, Sol). This helped mitigate the mild irritation I had toward my Hellforge drop. At least the perfect diamond and normal topaz were nice to see. Hephasto easily dealt with. Due to our low damage, enemies that like to run away and regenerate were getting irritating quickly so I started taunting such enemies routinely, to keep them in melee range:

[​IMG]

Too bad Taunt doesn't work on OKs.

In the Chaos Sanctuary, we found Milabrega's Rod and Isenhart's Obligatory Case, and earlier in the act we found Ichorstring. All were promptly sold. We also continued to find items very appropriate for this tournament, but just for the wrong class.

The Infector and De Seis went down with careful management (I used Leap Attack to jump over a chasm and avoid being swarmed by Infector's group rather than go with the TP/run back method), and then it was time for /players8 Diablo - the death of many unsuspecting tournament players. Not this guy though, not today. Between maxed fire/light resists, 500+ life, and max block, Diablo was a puppy. I used two full rows of reds and blues, but didn't reposition once during the fight. Taking his lightning hose in the face without flinching was sure enjoyable:

[​IMG]

The fight was so safe that I started playing around to try and get some of those nice "ring of fire" screenies people post here from time to time:

[​IMG]

Success!

Diablo didn't target the one doing 90% of our team's damage (Neeraj) once. Not the smartest demon out there. The drop was disappointing, as all the Act bosses' drops have been so far. At least he didn't drop some fantastic item that I can't use due to tournament restrictions - that takes some of the sting out of the bad drops for sure.

Barb gained 3 levels in Act 4, and is ready to march on Shenk before engaging in some lengthy power shopping.

The Overburdened
    Code:
    jonnyphive      Barb           Barbarian      35     HC       Harrogath             -
    Pb_pal          Thangail       Paladin        25     HC       Kurast Docks          -

The Unburdened
    Code:

6. Gripphon

Gripphon Diabloii.Net Member

That is for rings specifically, jewels are also around similar area. I didn't check for other rare items. It depends does item have set or only unique version and so on.

Jocular and jonnyphive like this.
  7. Pizzaparty

Pizzaparty Diabloii.Net Member

Sounds like a fun tournament. Maybe too hard for a unique/runeword worshiper like myself but what the heck! I want to wear something else than stealth and lore for a change. Maybe one of those colorful shining armors! Character class is still undecided.

peytron, Dazliare and jonnyphive like this.
  8. jonnyphive

@Pizzaparty These tourneys are as much a competition against yourself as they are against other players :). I've found that they can be really useful for better understanding various skills and seldom used items, and I generally consider myself a better player after playing a character in this manner. Still, if you're concerned about making it relatively far, consider a caster in a tournament like this - much less item dependent! I apparently am a glutton for punishment because I went quite far in the opposite direction :p. Good luck!

Jocular likes this.
  9. Jocular

Gotchya, thanks. I think I'll play around with it and see if I can figure out the answer.

10. Dazliare

Dazliare Diabloii.Net Member

Melisandre has completed Act 1 in nightmare, finishing at level 52. Nightmare thus far has been noticeably more difficult than normal, which is to be expected. I had one pretty scary experience with Pitspawn Fouldog (immune to lightning and lightning enchnated!) because without Fade, our lightning resistance is only 11. Keeping him at the edge of the screen with shadow master worked pretty well, but one stray bolt would take out ~40% of our HP,

The beginning of the act started normally. Our gear is pretty good, so we didn't spend any time shopping in Act 1 aside from gambling. Funnily enough, we found another Infernal Step:

Screenshot044.jpg

A bit later, we found our second unique amulet. Another Nokozan Relic. Another vendor

Screenshot045.jpg

Fighting Andariel went without a hitch. 75% block with 71% poison resistance with antidotes meant that we could sit right in front of her and let Lightning Sentry do the work. Her drop left something to be desired:

Screenshot046.jpg

The highlight of the act came from one of the corpses behind Andariel - an ethereal Partizan. I've been trying to decide what to use imbues on, and while the obvious answer is claws, I think the chance of getting something decent is really low, so I'd rather use my three imbues on things with a decent chance of being useful right now. Here is the result of imbuing that ethereal Partizan. This is probably the first imbue I've used in 10 years, and is a huge improvement over what Emilio was using previously.

Screenshot047.jpg

We've also been slowly filling a 4os gothic plate with perfect topazes. We're up to three so far

One question for all you lovely people. Should I Larzuk a perfect diamond into this shield? I'm thinking yes

Scintillating Gothic Shield of Deflecting
    Gothic Shield
    Defense: 33
    Chance to Block: 36
    Durability: 40 of 40
    Required Level: 21
    Required Strength: 60
    Fingerprint: 0x9e5c8f6c
    Item Level: 45
    Version: Expansion 1.10+
    +30% Faster Block Rate
    20% Increased Chance of Blocking
    All Resistances +15

The Overburdened
    Code:
    Dazliare        Melisandre     Assassin       52     HC       Lut Gholein NM        -
    jonnyphive      Barb           Barbarian      35     HC       Harrogath             -

The Unburdened
    Code:

peytron and PhineasB like this.
  11. jonnyphive

@Dazliare Well, you can shop a Scintillating Tower Shield of Deflecting from Normal Larzuk, which gives you 5% slower run speed but better blocking, so there's that option to consider. He should also sell an Artisan's Tower Shield of Deflecting, which would be a fantastic shield for this tournament. I'm currently trying to shop one of those myself; we'll see if I run out of patience before progressing with something less optimal. I guess my overall point is that while it is a nice shield, you can shop something arguably better, relatively easily, and have Larzuk socket that, or spend a little more time shopping and get something *much* better without burning a socket quest. It all depends on how much time you care to spend shopping!

12. Jocular

Agree, shopping an artisans of 'preferred suffix' is probably everyone's best choice for a shield.

13. Jocular

Having some trouble deciding what to keep and what to ditch...which circlet would you keep for your barb merc? I feel like the everlasting circlet could be worth a trip to Lazruk to see if I get two sockets. But the Rune Shell is so damn useful at the moment with the lightning damage and life leech. Thoughts?

Code:
    Circlet of Life Everlasting
    Circlet
    Defense: 24
    Durability: 35 of 35
    Required Level: 37
    Fingerprint: 0x4e331188
    Item Level: 45
    Damage Reduced by 21

Rune Shell
    Circlet
    Defense: 21
    Durability: 35 of 35
    Required Level: 18
    Fingerprint: 0x19d7ed17
    Item Level: 32
    23% Enhanced Damage
    Adds 1 - 115 Lightning Damage
    4% Life stolen per hit
    Lightning Resist +20%
    Magic Damage Reduced by 2

14. jonnyphive

@Jocular I can certainly see the temptation of the Circlet of Life Everlasting, but I think in most cases the leech will be more important for keeping your merc upright, and with the item restrictions in this tournament that could be hard to come by otherwise. Add in the other useful mods and I think the second is more worth keeping.

PhineasB and Jocular like this.
  15. Kstil3227

Kstil3227 Diabloii.Net Member

Captain America has managed to fight his way through the greatest place in Diablo 2, ACT 4!!

Great double rune drop to start it off in the Outer Steppes
    Screenshot093.jpg

Fire up the Hellforge for a good drop please....:D
    Screenshot103.jpg
    Then a Sol rune :confused:, used it to craft some blood rings...:confused:
    Screenshot105.jpg
    Screenshot113.jpg

Naj's Circlet dropped on the way up to CS
    Screenshot109.jpg

The close calls didn't happen until he entered the Sanctuary with the OK's and DK's...amp damage and then getting hit by the DK's took a chunk out of the Captain. So he retreated and had to slowly re-engage to drag them out 1-2 at a time until the entire Sanctuary was empty except for the seals to be hit. First up was Vizier, he went down easy with no worries. Second was de Seis, that amp damage with fanat=OUCH! half health in 1 shot :eek::eek:, so The Captain and Emilio had to be extremely cautious on how to enter this fight, after re-treating and re-engaging we manage to defeat de Seis and his minions. Last was Infector, did the tp to wp deal so we didn't get trapped in the hook, dragged the minions out a couple at a time til Infector himself came out, then just stood and swung the hammer until he dropped. Onto to Diablo himself at /p3.

This fight was pretty lack luster, Captain America was able to face tank the whole fight including the dread Lightning hose, which made the fight over fairly quickly. Also managed to capture a pretty crazy screenshot of Diablo being "Popped" into ice just after releasing another Lightning Hose.
    Screenshot118.jpg
    Screenshot120.jpg
    The drops had a lot of rares including an amazing War Hammer than once up'd was a big upgrade for the Captain!
    Screenshot121.jpg
    Screenshot122.jpg

Onto to the land of the Barbarians! Act 5 at Lvl 67, max resists, and 1K max damage (practically 2K with conv/veng)
    Screenshot123.jpg

The Overburdened
    Code:
    Kstil3227       CaptainAmerica Paladin        67     HC       Harrogath NM          -
    Dazliare        Melisandre     Assassin       52     HC       Lut Gholein NM        -

The Unburdened
    Code:

peytron, PhineasB, Jocular and 3 others like this.
  16. Jocular

Really solid progress, @Kstil3227! You're making me want to finally get around to finishing an untwinked Avenger (I've started a couple but didn't get past NM).

Also:
    [​IMG]

Code:
    Chromatic Small Shield of Amicae
    Small Shield
    Defense: 10
    Chance to Block: 0
    Durability: 16 of 16
    Required Level: 43
    Required Strength: 22
    Fingerprint: 0x88b8e008
    Item Level: 54
    All Resistances +64
    Damage Reduced by 11 2 Sockets (2 used)
    Socketed: Perfect Diamond
    Socketed: Perfect Diamond

Perfect Diamond
    Weapons: +68% Damage to Undead Armor: +100 to Attack Rating Shields: Cold Resist +19%
    Lightning Resist +19%
    Fire Resist +19%
    Poison Resist +19%
    Perfect Diamond
    Weapons: +68% Damage to Undead Armor: +100 to Attack Rating Shields: Cold Resist +19%
    Lightning Resist +19%
    Fire Resist +19%
    Poison Resist +19%

P.S. Yes this took forever to shop :p I was trying for an Artisan's Kite Shield of Equilibrium, but decided to call it quits and give a roll of the dice when this came up.

17. Babyhell

Babyhell Diabloii.Net Member

That's a nice survival shield for leveling!

18. jonnyphive

@Jocular Awesome shield. Pretty hard to beat if you aren't aiming for max block!

I can only hope I have the patience to stick with shopping Larzuk until something good finally pops up...

19. jonnyphive

Not the ATSoD I'm hunting for, but Larzuk was kind enough to sell me this surprisingly high damage sword to replace the Flamberge I built in A3:

[​IMG]

The huge damage range is less than ideal, but its average damage is ~20 points higher than my last sword, so it's worth losing the life leech with how tanky I am at this stage. I also bought an Artisan's Great Helm of Balance, which lets me exceed the 48% FHR breakpoint and start boosting my MF. Between these two little pickups and glancing at red body armors for a chance at Artisan's of the Colossus, seeing 4/5 of Larzuk's armor screens contain 0 Tower Shields has been less discouraging than I would've expected by this point. I did buy a plain TSoD just in case my patience eventually runs out, though. I put it in my cube for the moment so it doesn't slow me down while shopping.

I guess I'll update the table while I'm here:

The Overburdened
    Code:
    Kstil3227       CaptainAmerica Paladin        67     HC       Harrogath NM          -
    jonnyphive      Barb           Barbarian      39     HC       Arreat Plateau        -

The Unburdened
    Code:

PhineasB and Babyhell like this.
  20. Kstil3227

Kstil3227 Diabloii.Net Member

Half way through Act 5 with Captain America. The Captain couldn't save all the Barbarians under attack in the foothills (personal "side quest" I try to do each time I explore the Foothills) but in the end he took down Shenk and earned a 2nd Larzuk socket quest (still have yet to use the normal one:oops:).

Within the first few monsters of Act 5 the first exceptional unique drops (SkyStrike Edge Bow) Which was vendor'd for a small amount of gold.
    Screenshot001.jpg

Onto the plateau and underground area of Acheron. Great mid-rune drop happened in Acheron. KO RUNE!! Found a couple of Hel runes as well which in turn cubed into an Io to go along with the other two previously found, then found a flawed topaz and cubed the 3 Io runes into another Lum to make 3! So now Captain America is hoping a flawed Amethyst drops to cube the 3 Lums into a 2nd KO rune...(then maybe, just maybe get some luck and a MAL rune drops somewhere in hell....Sanctuary runeword possible with personalize quest??? only hopes and dreams at this time though)
    Screenshot005.jpg

head to Mala to fill up on pots and she doesn't have room for Mana Pots...:mad::mad:...time to run to the wp and back to reset her.
    Screenshot002.jpg

Into the Crystalline Passage we go...a Magic Boneweave armor drops...then ID it and BOOM! Merc armor upgrade.
    Screenshot008.jpg
    Another Sol rune drops in the passage, which was quickly used for crafting a blood ring...not bad on this craft with high AR/small amount of life and Cold Res.--small upgrade for 1 ring which is always a good thing.
    Screenshot010.jpg

Next up was the Frozen River to rescue Anya. No real challenge here until I get to Frozenstein. Extra Strong, Fanat, and CE...fun fun. Had to really work hard to separate this boss pack to make it manageable...but the reward from his drops plus Anya's reward was good to replace the shield and weapon the Captain had been using since the previous Act (weapon) and Anya in normal (Shield). No sockets but the FHR put him above the 86% breakpoint and didn't give up too much in the resists. This also put the block chance up to 73% with holy shield active.
    Screenshot013.jpg
    Screenshot012.jpg

Glacial Trail and Drifter Caverns finished up this halfway run of Act 5. Drifter caverns dropped a second exceptional unique in Hexfire. Which was sold after popping the chest in the Caverns on a trip to town.
    Screenshot011.jpg

Up to Level 71 and onto Nihlathak, then traverse the Frozen Tundra on the way to Ancient's Way...but that'll be another day.
    Screenshot014.jpg

Until next time. Stay safe and good luck.

The Overburdened
    Code:
    Kstil3227       CaptainAmerica Paladin        71     HC       Glacial Trail NM      -
    jonnyphive      Barb           Barbarian      39     HC       Arreat Plateau        -

The Unburdened
    Code: