The hypothetical situation thread

Eff

Banned
The hypothetical situation thread

Would you play russian roulette (with one bullet) if, should the gun not shot, your reward was 10 million $?

somebody tells you to pick a number between 1 and 10. 9 of the 10 numbers will be rewarded with 10 million $, while the other number, should you guess it, would kill you and the last 10 people you talked to. would you pick or walk away?

Stevinator

Diabloii.Net Member
Eff said:
Would you play russian roulette (with one bullet) if, should the gun not shot, your reward was 10 million $?

somebody tells you to pick a number between 1 and 10. 9 of the 10 numbers will be rewarded with 10 million $, while the other number, should you guess it, would kill you and the last 10 people you talked to. would you pick or walk away?
I'd say hold on, and I'd go talk to the 10 biggest jerks i could find. then I'd play. If I won, well I'd be rich, if I lost I'd have eliminated 10 big jerks and they'd call me a hero. that's a win/win.

nrabbit

Diabloii.Net Member
yeah but you die too so it doesn't work.
no, i wouldn't do it. i like to take risks but this is just stupid

DaviddeJong

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm really afraid I should "play" the games...... just because of a moment of greed. 10 million is A LOT of money.

If it goes wrong; I haven't lost; only my friends and family have. It's awfull to face them with such a possibility, but I think I'm far too greedy and lazy to care at the moment someone gives me the options you mentioned.

David.

p.s.: what a horrible way of self-reflection......

Eff said:

Doesnt a standard revolver have 6, not 10 bullets? If it was 10 i'd go for it, but not 1 in 6.

UserMathias

Diabloii.Net Member
Get rich or die trying

A 1 in 6 chance of survival are actually pretty good odds, considering what the win is. You can count me in. After all, everybody's gotta go some day.

Or come to think of it, I smell a rat. Where is the money coming from and is that the same gun you showed me a moment ago?

Stevinator

Diabloii.Net Member
nrabbit said:
yeah but you die too so it doesn't work.
no, i wouldn't do it. i like to take risks but this is just stupid
If I was very careful who i talked to I could be a hero! My name would live on in infamy! 10 people!?!?! that's a serious slaughter. imagine the possibilities. I'm sure the government would sponsor my attempts to meet with kim jong il, bin laden (if we could find him) etc. If I won I'd get 10 million and be the guy that tried to save the world. if i died, I'd be the guy that took out the nastiest 10 baddies. the trick is i would have to go on a quest to talk to these baddies without speaking to anyone else. I think that would be worth about 10 million though. how hard could that be...can't find that guy, pick another baddy.

Damotta

Diabloii.Net Member
Stevinator said:
If I was very careful who i talked to I could be a hero! My name would live on in infamy! 10 people!?!?! that's a serious slaughter. imagine the possibilities. I'm sure the government would sponsor my attempts to meet with kim jong il, bin laden (if we could find him) etc. If I won I'd get 10 million and be the guy that tried to save the world. if i died, I'd be the guy that took out the nastiest 10 baddies. the trick is i would have to go on a quest to talk to these baddies without speaking to anyone else. I think that would be worth about 10 million though. how hard could that be...can't find that guy, pick another baddy.
uhhh, im confused. So your supposed plan would be to load all 10 chambers with bullets and then have people you dislike try the game and kill themselves?

If I'm not mistaken, when people play Russian Roulet they get to see the chambers of the gun first, and are shown that only one bullet is loaded.

nrabbit

Diabloii.Net Member
Damotta said:
If I'm not mistaken, when people play Russian Roulet they get to see the chambers of the gun first, and are shown that only one bullet is loaded.
you have to be really stupid not to check the chambers first if you ask me

Gigas

Diabloii.Net Member
somebody tells you to pick a number between 1 and 10

Come to think of it, the Mysterious Stranger is basically shooting hmself in the foot with this deal. You win, and he's out 10 million. You lose, and... well, you've talked to him very recently, haven't you?

PublicEnemy

Diabloii.Net Member
Eff said:
would kill you and the last 10 people you talked to. would you pick or walk away?
It would be interesting to know if the organizers of the russian roulette would cancel the game if they knew that I last talked to their relatives

nrabbit

Diabloii.Net Member
PublicEnemy said:
It would be interesting to know if the organizers of the russian roulette would cancel the game if they knew that I last talked to their relatives
and there is something else- the last person you talked to was actually the one who gave you the offer. it doesn't make any sense

Eff

Banned
Gigas said:
Come to think of it, the Mysterious Stranger is basically shooting hmself in the foot with this deal. You win, and he's out 10 million. You lose, and... well, you've talked to him very recently, haven't you?
well, mysterious stranger is suicidal, connected very well, and wants to dish out his assets in an exciting style.

and dammit people, these are 2 different questions! i think people are thinking the 1-10 goes for the russian roulette as well.

Stevinator

Diabloii.Net Member
Damotta said:
uhhh, im confused. So your supposed plan would be to load all 10 chambers with bullets and then have people you dislike try the game and kill themselves?

no but I would load up the ten people to die with me to be the worst this world has produced. remember it's the last ten I spoke to. This way, if I win, I'm ruch and brave, if i lose I'm a fallen hero. besides 9 blanks to one bullet. most likely I'll be retiring on some island somewhere.

Stevinator

Diabloii.Net Member
nrabbit said:
and there is something else- the last person you talked to was actually the one who gave you the offer. it doesn't make any sense
sorry for the double post, I assuming the offer is extended and i have some time to go chat with some really bad people.