Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The hardcore tribulations of Atomic

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Atomium, May 14, 2008.

1. Atomium

Atomium IncGamers Member

The hardcore tribulations of Atomic

Hey all,

Atomic is a Frost Zealot. He is born in Hardcore a few days ago, because I needed a break from Softcore and a new challenge.

His mission is to beat Hell Baal, hardcore and untwinked. He can do XP runs, some MF runs, but no trading, and no muling.

I carefully read the Hardcore FAQ, and decided that a Frost Zealot would be a safe choice, because it gives decent damage, and he can easily escape his chilled enemies if they're too strong. Later in the game, I will max Fanaticism too, so he will also be able to deal with cold immunes. I gave him a lot of vita (100 by lvl 20, 200 at lvl 50). That helped him travel safely through Normal. After a dozen Baalruns, he reached lvl50 unharmed. I guess it's time for him to kill Baal and enter Nightmare.

Playing hardcore for the first time in many years is quite different from what I am used to. The fear of dying gives a different taste to the more mundane events. I remember Atomic's thoughts before entering Duriel's room: "Am I ready for this? And what if there's lag when I enter?" And the way he did the Chaos Sanctuary with his bare hands, by fear of hitting a monster when IM'ed... It's a good thing he wasn't alone in those critical moments, but in the same time, he couldn't stop looking over his shoulder, in case some of his "friends" suddenly decided to hostile him...

Another thing I am not used to: my gear sucks, big time! But Atomic was lucky enough to find a Gull (100% MF) in the very early stage of the game. He uses it to finish the bosses, which helps him finding decent stuff. That's how he got his Sigon boots (suddenly a treasure, with 10% FRW and 40% Cold Res...), and a Steelclash (unique shield, Pala skills +1, Def 54, blocking 63%, 15 [email protected]).

By the way, what would be best? Socket it with a PDiamond and upgrade it (if I can find an Amn)? Or hope to find a nice 3 or 4 sockets Pala shield with a decent Def later in the game (for Ancient's Pledge or Spirit)? Thank you for your advice.

2. lionheartthebrave

lionheartthebrave IncGamers Member

Re: The hardcore tribulations of Atomic

Untwinked I don't think you should worry about defence, unless you have some good drops

Wait for a nice resall shield and diamond it imo

btw You are not alone, the SPF has a Knights of Westmarch Paladin Tournament, full of HC untwinked paladins, including a templar and several abbots, have a read, you may find good advice there

and Good Luck:thumbsup:

3. Atomium

Atomium IncGamers Member

There's this Crown Shield I found during a Baal run. 35 Def, 30 [email protected] But it's white. Do you think it's worth using one of my socket quests? If I use the cube formula (for which I have yet to find an Amn), I might end up with 1 socket :undecided:. And once I have 4 sockets in it, wouldn't I be better of making a Spirit?

Thanks for the link, I will check that.

4. Atomium

Atomium IncGamers Member

Atomic still escapes death...
    It's a good day for him. He finally found a Shael and upgraded his shield. And in the Halls of the Dead (act 2), he found a Vipermagi (21, but I won't complain, it's already a huge help), and a Fleshrender (Dmg 69-116, a nice change compared to his 16-42 rare mace...).
    He also found a Magefist and a Visceratuant, which he sold with disgust. If only he could find a decent bow for his rogue...
    Confident in his strength and his new equipment, he bravely entered Duriel's lair, and slaughtered her without even drinking a potion. Now he faces the Flayer Jungle, wondering which dangers, and which riches, await him there.

5. Mcwhopper

Mcwhopper IncGamers Member

I never knew duriel was a female bug.

Keep up the work ; Hc is teh l33t. I always tend to rambo and die before finding anything resembling a usefull item.

6. BoD Trader

BoD Trader IncGamers Member

wouldnt a might merc suit you better than a bow one? Goodluck mate i made the switch to hc. Good fun isnt it.

7. Atomium

Atomium IncGamers Member

I always believed Duriel was a she, but I hear most people think it's a he. I don't care, I call her a female, and if that pisses him off, that's too bad for her... :grin:

I think a Might merc would serve me well, indeed. But I like the rogues mercenaries. Since I keep them out of the melee, they die less often than other mercs. And their bow is useful in some areas, where my Pala cannot easily reach the monsters.

Atomic entered the Durance tonight, in a public game full of Baal runners (he was too lazy to imbue the thing). He was greeted there by a bunch of fast Dolls with Fanaticism on... A quick retreat almost certainly saved his life. On his second try, he found the wp in Durance 2. On his way, he killed a Doll. The explosion took away half of his life... :nervous: But a few minutes later, Mephisto blessed him with Tearhaunch boots. His luck did not fail him!

8. BoD Trader

BoD Trader IncGamers Member

gz on the tears, a very under-rated boot imo. I look forward to hear more from atomic :D

9. Atomium

Atomium IncGamers Member

Well, the news from Atomic are not bad. He traveled rather easily through Act 4 Nightmare, and quickly disposed of Izual and Hephasto. The Forge gave him a Lem that he may use someday to upgrade an armor. But he tries not to grow too confident from his apparent ease, because he knows that overconfidence can kill you as easily as a sharp blade. Several times, he quit the game at the first sign of a desync, even if it meant to loose a lot of ground.
    Since he did not want to die under the treacherous Glacial Spikes of a TPPK, he chose to kill Diablo alone. But since Iron Maiden is even more dangerous to a Zealot than the worst pkers, he bought a wand with elemental damage and cleaned the Chaos Sanctuary with just that. It took some time and quite a few tps to town to buy potions and revive his rogue, but he finally killed the last one of Diablo's minions. There were no more mages to fear, and he could use his mace again. He killed Diablo, and with that challenge behind him, he sighed in relief.

10. Atomium

Atomium IncGamers Member

The act 5 proved to be more difficult than the previous 4. The missiles sent by various monsters took their share of Atomic's health, and since he did not have any "Cannot Be Frozen" item, the freezing monsters considerably slowed his movements. But he managed to solo the entire act, including the Ancients, and joined a Baalrun. There, with a few good companions, he leveled from 55 to 75. Unfortunately, he did not make any good find, and when he eventually created a game and killed Baal, he knew that he would soon have to face serious difficulties in Hell.

The first steps in Hell were even worse than he had fear. Even a few zombies could easily kill him in a few hits if he wasn't constantly drinking potions. The lack of good equipment was the major problem both for him and his loyal Rogue. Although his life was above 1000 and they both had decent resistances, their defense was really low, and their damage was ridiculous. Atomic had to hit a Zombie a dozen times before killing him... Obviously, finding better gear was a question of life and death.

After the cleansing of the Den of Evil, Atomic met a group of Extra Fast Rogues with Fanaticism Aura in the Cold Plains. His only solution was to run away, and they chased him all the way to the Rogue's Camp. He used the wp to go back to the Cold Plains while the Rogues were running furiously in front of the camp.

Unfortunately, on the way to the cemetary, he met a huge mob of Fallens and Zombies. They quickly surrounded him so he couldn't escape. There were two bosses in the pack. One with Mana Burn, Cold Enchanted and Holy Freeze Aura. The other one was Cold Enchanted (again) and Cursed! Atomic was paralyzed by the cold, unable to fight, unable to move. I frantically tried to leave the game (Alt-F4), but there were so many monsters hitting Atomic (at least two dozens) that even this desperate measure did not work. I continuously tried to drop the game, but for some reason, it was not possible :banghead:. That's when Atomic understood he was living his last seconds. He fought to the end, drinking potion after potion, desperately trying to get out of that deadly ring, but there were too many of them... Eventually, he watched his health drop to zero, and died...

11. bruceAthor

bruceAthor IncGamers Member

This is a sad day for Atomic.:sad2: We will miss him, but he will be remembered.

12. mynamesucks

mynamesucks IncGamers Member

The fate of a truly courageous hero a sad tale but one that unfortunately will be retold countless times. sorry about your loss man great story telling though cant wait to hear more adventures from you and your characters

13. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

RIP Atomic, I always find the hardest point in any HC character's journey is the transition between Act 5 NM and Act 1 Hell. You can get caught out quite easily by the number of unique packs and the extra mods which they all possess, which unfortunately seems to have happened to you.

A couple of the cheap runewords may have been some use to you in that situation, a Rhyme for the CBF to negate the cold enchanted boss (although not his aura but it would have helped) and a Nadir for the CoS charges, that would have pretty much stopped all the non-champions/uniques and would have made it much easier to escape.

Good luck on your next attempt!

14. Atomium

Atomium IncGamers Member

Thanks for the nice posts. :smiley:

Indeed, I find that the increase in difficulty is a bit steep. What annoyed me the most was that I saved my imbues, runes, and one socket quest so I could use them on good items. Unfortunately, you cannot find such items in Nightmare. You have to find them in Hell, where you need them so badly in order to survive more than a few minutes...

You're right, I should have make a Rhyme. I thought the +1 skills and higher res from my unique shield was better, but I was wrong.

My only frustration is that I never found a one-handed 5 socket weapon, because I had all the runes I needed to make Honor. Also, I wanted to make a Harmony bow for my Rogue, but I never got to find a decent bow (10-29 dmg was the best I found...)

15. lukefojut

lukefojut IncGamers Member

Were you partying with anyone mate? Hearing about your exploits makes me want to start a new HC char - would be happy to party up on the few occasions where we'd both be on :thumbsup:

16. NekoShinigami

NekoShinigami IncGamers Member

Wow you tell a great story! :) I am venturing into hc territory as I was looking for new thrills :) Had 2 hc chars died already though they were as high lvl as yours. :)

LOl a bunch of us here shld make hc chars and play together. Trust me, the fear of dying makes everything fresh. I dread to think of dolls or souls when playing my light sorc. *shudders*