Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The half-baked HC Assassin run

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Toyell, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Toyell

Toyell Diabloii.Net Member

Introduction

Hi, I'm just another person who played Diablo 2 a long time ago and returned to Diablo 2 after a long time. To be honest this run is inspired by all the hardcore self-limiting runs such as Pacifist or Naked runs. I decided to do a run with self-imposing rules and see how far I can go with this character.

Meet Mefilia, the Half-Baked HC Assassin.

Rules imposed on the Character

Stat spread 50% Vitality, 50% energy.

Cannot wear body armor or use a weapon.

No Runewords allowed. Runes can be used but cannot create runewords, once created by accident, sell the runeword item while taking note of the price then drop the gold and reload, to ensure such unfortunate accidents don't occur, will try to use magical socket items to ensure runewords aren't created accidentally.

Cannot add more than 10 points into skills.

To properly have Half in everything, I should've imposed more "halves" such as only allow half of Belt and inventory filled at max etc.. but due to the half-assed nature of this Hardcore Run, no such rules are imposed on purpose to promote the Half-Baked spirit of the run. (The real reason is because I find it a pain in the butt to keep track of my potions and inventory, but that alone proves the half-baked effort placed upon this half baked HC run.)

Oh crap... I just remembered I haven't even create my Assassin for the run yet! Damn I'm so half-baked...

After giving more thoughts (I came up with this retarded idea on the fly all the sudden and wrote this while installing Diablo 2... and yes, I didn't have Diablo 2 installed when I posted)

This is a more fresh out version of the rules imposed on the Character, the smaller fonts are the old version.

Half-Baked Character Rules. (Currently only have Assassin but depending on how much fun I have may do more)

Cannot invest any points in strength and dexterity. For now, 50/50 in Vitality and Energy, if during the course of the game I feel too threatened by the mobs I may change that.

Cannot attack a foe directly because all half-baked characters ain't worth jack sh*t in battle. They have horrendous battle sense, whenever accidentally punched the monster, just imagine the Half-baked character went to fight the monster and got pwnd so badly. The fight will end in 3 seconds with the enemy/monster scoring a Street Fighter styled: PERFECT!

Cannot use any damage skills that benefits from weapon damage.
    Cannot add more than 12 Skill Points into any skill.
    Cannot attack with skills that can benefit from weapon damage.
    Cannot use Rune Words
    Cannot equip weapon and body armor

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    Fruit likes this.
  2. AlexTheNextOne

AlexTheNextOne Diabloii.Net Member

How about only traversing Sanctuary at half-speed, meaning no running? ;)

3. Fruit

Fruit Diabloii.Net Member

haha, i love it!

you can potentially stretch it very far and include things like blocking and resistances. though it's probably more fun to only include your "input" as you've done, like stat points and skill points. i like the addition of no runewords :p

good luck!

4. DiabloTwoinDC

DiabloTwoinDC Diabloii.Net Member

You have to smoke half of a joint before playing! :p

Yng and Fruit like this.
  5. Toyell

@AlexTheNextOne ~ Tried and the walking pace pisses me off too much, unfortunately your suggestion will not be taken.
    @Fruit ~ Considering I do not have points in str and dex nor can I equip weapons and body armor... my blocking and resistances will be gimped. So in a way they are halved already.

Update on the misadventures of my Half-baked Assassin. As suggested by zemaj, I had the Movie: Half-baked running as the BGM. (PS: Tried and won't be playing Half-baked in the background again because the person talking in the background while things gets tougher than I remembered kinda pisses me off as well)

Have very poor luck with the drops. Not being able to attack directly means I have to rely on Attacker take damage and later CTC stuff. Got so bad that I started picking up arrows, crude Quilted Armor and cracked short swords to sell. Reloaded 4 times, remained Level 1 0 exp.

Things changed on 5th reload. Found a Poison Shrine and pulled a huge bunch of mobs to it. Instant Level up when the green smoke comes out! (It kills all mobs in its aoe whether it is players 1 or players 8 and I got about 4 reds mobs, 2 zombies caught in the green blast)

Selling Crude Wand w/ +1 to Clay Golem and a Ring allows me to afford an Attacker take 1 damage shield. Considered selling the +3 to Energy Skull Cap, choose not to do so. (Dropped /players8 to players4) Started carpet bombing. Found 2 Wells close to each other in Cold Plains. Farmed the place until my first Rare dropped. A dagger with poison and lightning damage...

Encountered Bishibosh. Managed to use Psychic Hammer to hit him from a safe distance with 4 red mobs aggroed. Kept hammering him until he dies.

Rakanishu was killed in a similar fashion. Then almost died when trying to save Cain. Got mobbed by Griswold, another boss and 2 Champions while I was totally out of Health Potions. Hireling died, went to town to revive her. Went back killed the other boss, then Griswold killed my Rogue again. But I was Level 11 very close to level 12. Went out of Tristram again and farmed in the Cave or the Hole, can't remember.

Went back to Trap the sh*t out of Tristram. After that, it's smooth sailing through Countess and ended the game after finding Waypoint in Jail Level 1

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    Fruit likes this.
  6. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

Nice. Good luck !!!

*steels wallet*

You might get it back if you do a proper introduction of yourself ;).

Fruit likes this.
  7. Toyell

Update and my Assassin's build.

Still having a 50/50 spread between Vitality and Energy

Primarily using Charged Bolt Sentry (Will switch to Lightning Sentry at Level 18 onward), Fire Blast and Shock Web.
    Just gotten Shadow Warrior because I plan to get Shadow Master. Checked the Skill calculator, it seems like the damage of traps isn't as bad as I thought with level 12 as the cap. Particularly Lightning Sentry can cap out at 1 to 819 if every Trap in that line of skills goes up to level 12

With the rules I set, my Sin will have 12 in Fire blast, Shock Web, Charged Bolt, Lightning and Death Sentries.

Found Amplify Damage Hunting Bow for my rogue. Discovered that Amplify damage actually boost the damage of attacker take x damage. Surprisingly, able to tank and kill Andy using traps and Merc attacking.

Made my way to Lut Gholein. Went to Dry Hills. Up until this point, I am still using charged bolt sentry because Lightning Sentry is still at level 1. I found myself doing a routine. Burst of Speed, Charged Bolt Sentries, spam healing pots on me and/or my merc.

Today's run concluded before entering Arcane Sanctuary

Edited: Update

PS: I found a Staff with Telekinesis Charges which gave me a stupid bright idea for another run after Half-Baked Run. (I will try to make it different by presenting it in a story-ish format but I doubt it will get started anytime soon since I am planning to beat Hell on my Half-baked character

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    Fruit likes this.
  8. Toyell

Update

Having the conditions to create a Harmony Bow is extremely tempting. But I take it to heart that my next character's idea can be realized now...

Btw, I've beaten Duriel and gotten to Act 3. With Normal Difficulty I doubt I'll encounter any problem now that my Lightning Sentry are up and running fine. Next time I update, I'll probably be in Nightmare diff.

Now that my character build is taking shape, I noticed the runes I obtained seem to be setup perfectly for some runewords which acts like a temptation for me. Honestly speaking its a real b*tch at this point. So I created a Paladin to receive all the stuff. The 2nd character run might appear sooner than expected.

Almost died because I was busy spamming shift-Pot to heal my mercenary and Diablo's Red Lightning caught me. Honestly speaking I find Diablo's fire more problematic than his lightning since we can actually avoid the lightning but the fire nova is kinda impossible. My merc and shadow warrior can't tank for me. I am guessing I'll only feel the lack of damage with level 12 limit somewhere in the later stages of Nightmare since Normal is setup for us to beat without maxing out the strongest or build defining skills.

I might not even finish Hell difficulty on this character and jump to the next character.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  9. Toyell

Finished Nightmare Act III, reached level 12 in all my skills but the lack of damage due to limited skill level didn't come. Mephisto's charged bolts almost got me killed but once again, I managed to survive.

Nightmare Act IV progress slowed down. Being a No Runewords run, I find my Mercenary's weapon changing really frequently until I found a rare War Fork that has a 5% chance to cast Amplify Damage on striking. It is surprisingly useful and my fighting style has largely been fixed on 3 steps rotation.

1. Cloak of Shadows
    2. Fade + Traps
    3. Shift heal my merc with pots

Regardless I think this trend will continue until I destroy Baal on Hell. (Edit: Then No mods that support Ubers then)

Been having this problem of "When you're not actively looking, the correct runes and socket eq actively drop for me"

This is why I am introducing my next character: The Greatest Paladin Ever! (Self-proclaimed)

His backstory, meet Mulder, the Eldest Son and next successor of the Noble family: The Fockers

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  10. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

Mods that support the Uber’s are not allowed on this forum. Please read the rules and message me if you need clarification.

11. Yng

Yng Diabloii.Net Member

I thought this was mandatory for all characters..

zemaj and DiabloTwoinDC like this.
  12. Toyell

Update yet again.

Since I am not exactly satisfied with this Assassin run, I will be starting a second Half-Baked Assassin either when 1. I kill Baal on Hell or if I died.

This time I'll try something a little more challenging for kicks.

Restrictions:
    Full Naked meaning no gear, no charms.
    Traps Skill Tree out of bounds.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018