The Greatest Travesty of the Modern Age

Status
Not open for further replies.

stillman

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: The Greatest Travesty of the Modern Age

Yeah, it took me a while to get it. I had to think back, "Oh right, Link throws bombs out of his arsenal of 25 or so items from those 25 year old NES games." Clarity is key, my friend!

Edit: ThulRasha, the gag is where Lucy coaxes Charlie Brown into kicking the football while she holds it, and she always removes it at the last second, causing Charlie Brown to miss and fall on his ***.

TheWanderer

Diabloii.Net Member

Ouch. That must feel pretty bad...

The only negative I can think of for your image is that its too busy.
Even I don't get the Charlie Brown one...

Don't feel too bad. You tried your hardest and was screwed by the judges. :p

EDIT: Just read the above post. Now I remember. :)

Get a job. Also the winning submission is much better. It is simpler, and much funnier.

Yours is indeed a bit too bussy, but at least there was effort in there and I understand the jokes.

I don't understand what the charly brown is supposed to be doing. Throwing ball/DH with the monster? Is that it?
Seriously?

Raesene

Diabloii.Net Member

I thought your submission was good, but way too busy. It should definitely be an honorable mention.

The Charlie Brown one filled me with delight and made me laugh. It also ties in with the original image better (you could have done yours over any arbitrary Diablo screenshot).

I'm glad it won.

Razor Spine

Diabloii.Net Member

IMHO the first entry, while a bit overdone, had a lot more effort put into it, and deserved more than this. Goes to show that BS occurs everywhere in real life. Keep it simple, Stupid? that got a bit too old for my tastes about 10 years ago, but going over the top won't impress too many people. Nevertheless, props to the OP for the effort.

@ABarbarian: The simple things don't necessarily have to be the best. Sometimes effort must have its day. The fact remains though, knowing people is half the faggotry concerning this kind of thing.

Cincinnati

Diabloii.Net Member

You're like that (literally) crazy guy that spent three years to plan the ultimate Sim City. Or, well, maybe not.

Freyja

Diabloii.Net Member

To be totally honest with you, making the "Diablo 3 = WoW" sign and the spider with the trollface was WAAAY more than enough to win the contest. If you've kept it like that I would've voted for you! I laughed my *** off when I saw it!

Hold your head high mate, atleast I think the trollface-spider is alot more funny than the Charlie Brown picture!

Cheers

Gosukusan

<a href="payments.php">IncGamers Site Pal</a><br>&

The message is that they put the "e for everybody" bomb on everything. And he created a looking glass for what people are *****ing about.

This.

Aladdin and Jasmine are there with the magic carpet because in the unedited photo, there is a torn up rug along the pathway. There is a lot going on in the picture because of the nature of the transformation. Things can't just get left out, everything had to transform, so I literally transformed EVERYTHING. I actually had much more in the picture in my final cut, but I decided to take some things out because they were simply too distracting...lol

Gosukusan

Sure, but that doesn't explain Link or any of the content outside the looking glass. It also doesn't really explain why the Magic Carpet from Aladdin is there.
Link is there for MANY reasons. First, because he personifies the E for everyone content and he is cell shaded in a similar nature as the objects within the bubble. Next, because the nature of the change required a catalyst, and I loved the idea of Link coming into this Demon Hunter's dungeon and gleefully tossing an "E for everyone Bomb" into the middle of her epic duel. His face and body expression is perfect, and he's just stooped up on that ledge there as if he just came from his own dungeon and wandered into hers.

As for the rest of the stuff outside the bubble, those were jokes from my first submission that I liked so much that I decided to include them in this one. They have nothing to do with the concept of this submission, but I couldn't decide if leaving them out would hurt or helped, I thought the jokes were clever enough and well animated.

Gosukusan

I am not sure why you want extra credit for having no training or skills and completely inadequate tools :/ You don't have to spend big bucks for Photoshop, just get a free copy of GIMP, do some tutorials, and learn how to use it, for heavens' sake :) Then you'll be ready for the next one.

I'm not going to comment on the ideas in your piece or their merit compared to the idea in the winning piece, but I will say that it DOES look like it was hand edited, pixel by pixel, in Paint... and that is NOT the best way to make appealing computer graphics, although it may be the most labor-intensive. Surely you don't really expect that the fact that you put a lot of time in should count for anything, if it doesn't result in higher quality :/
I absolutely do NOT want extra credit, that is part of the reason why I did it in paint to begin with instead of learning photoshop. I didn't want to appear to have an advantage over everyone else because, I don't. I considered that the judges wouldn't fully recognize something that looked like it came from someone who had a lot of experience in photoshop. Also, paint served as a perfect medium for creating the style that I wanted. I wanted it to look simplistic and light-hearted, so that it might contrast better with the real world. And I absolutely don't expect the judges to say, "he put the most time in, he wins", but I do expect it to count for something, so long as it has resulted in creativity and an attractive result, as I feel it did.

Gosukusan

Yeah, it took me a while to get it. I had to think back, "Oh right, Link throws bombs out of his arsenal of 25 or so items from those 25 year old NES games." Clarity is key, my friend!

Edit: ThulRasha, the gag is where Lucy coaxes Charlie Brown into kicking the football while she holds it, and she always removes it at the last second, causing Charlie Brown to miss and fall on his ***.

See that's the thing though. I WANTED people to look at it and have to use their brains for a second to understand the concept, because I really do believe that it is a wholly original and creative one. The contest awarded mediocrity, and I gave them achievement.

And yes, obviously this is not the greatest travesty of the modern age, but I am completely serious when I say that it is the greatest injustice I have ever witnessed first hand. It has very little to do with my ego. I am sufficiently proud of what I created to sustain my own self-esteem. What I am pissed off about, is that I worked my *** off to EARN that beta key, the thing that I want more than anything, and it was practically thrown at random.

Gosukusan

Get a job. Also the winning submission is much better. It is simpler, and much funnier.
LMAO, there's always one.

Much better? Really? REALLY? It's a clipart of Lucy. It encompasses one aspect of the picture, it's mildly funny at best. Did the DH get a running start from inside the wall while the monster just stands and watches? It took about this [---] much thought, and about this [-] much implementation. Have you seen the other submissions? Is it better than all of those too?

I wouldn't say either of the submissions are funny. Mine isn't supposed to be, and the charlie brown one just isn't very funny. Its entire comedic premise is based on age of the reference and its applicability to ONE of the focus's of the picture. It's so simplistic and elementary that the picture has literally been reduced from saying 1000 words, to about 14.

Raesene

Diabloii.Net Member

You should be proud of your submission, but you come across as a sore loser when you trash the winning entry.

Gosukusan

I thought your submission was good, but way too busy. It should definitely be an honorable mention.

The Charlie Brown one filled me with delight and made me laugh. It also ties in with the original image better (you could have done yours over any arbitrary Diablo screenshot).

I'm glad it won.
Not true, this screenshot worked where many others would fail for several reasons: 1. The demon hunter is in a position that indicates a possible force was throwing her back (ie bomb). 2. The DH's enemy was of sufficient size, positioning, and ferocity to exacerbate the effect of the transformation within the predetermined bubble. 3. There were enough random objects scattered throughout the image, though mostly concentrated within the center to allow for a "bubble" transformation effect. and 4. There was that little overlooking ledge that served as a PERFECT spot to nonchalantly introduce another working element into the photo.

While this idea certainly could work in other Diablo screenshots, the actual idea and implementation is much more personalized and unique than you would think at first glance.

Status
Not open for further replies.