Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The GOP reels from the Foley scandal.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by llad12, Oct 2, 2006.

1. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

The GOP reels from the Foley scandal.

Christian Science Monitor

Apparently, some members of the GOP had been aware of Congressman Foley's predilection for young pages for quite some time:

ABC News

Good Lord Almighty ... :shocked:

Comments?

2. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

I don't think the party will end up "reeling" from this. Voters have short memories. Who was that Tom Delay cat anyway?

3. LunarSolaris

LunarSolaris IncGamers Member

Would you be quick to post a scandal involving the Democratic party Llad?

It's all about balance. I think this is a newsworthy story, but I'm hesitant to engage because I fear you would have an agenda in posting this.

4. Bortaz

Bortaz Banned

LOL.

Well, at least now we know not only Democrats can be homosexuals. So, no more accusing Republicans of hating gay people, right?

5. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

If he was a democrat you would have called him a pedophile, heh.

6. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

A paedophile is not a homosexual, regardless of their target. In fact the last study I read demonstrated absolutely no connection between the sexual attraction of paedophiles to adults and children; most boy-targeting paedophiles are heterosexual.

This is pretty disgusting, but frankly I'm not surprised. A lot of people in high office are paedophiles, you know. And of course, all politicians are creeps. There has to be something wrong with you if you want to do that for a living.

As for the GOP, it's nice of them to have periodic scandals to keep them fresh in people's minds.

7. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

I love how you so cleanly distinguish between pedophilia and homosexuality when the kid in this instance was 16 at the time. So, when does pedophilia turn back into homosexuality, 17? 18? Does it depend on local law?

8. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Then you have a problem with the concept of paedophilia itself.

9. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

I have a problem with your concept of pedophilia if you consider a man's interest in a 17 year and 364 day boy pedophilia and a man's interest in an 18 year old boy homosexuality.

10. Bortaz

Bortaz Banned

I call this one a pedo, too.

11. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Oh okay, so you accept that being sexually attracted to a 17 and 364 day old person is paedophilia (LOL, you Americans and your conservative laws) while being sexually attracted to an 18 year old person isn't? But you think there's a big difference in my application of the terms "homosexual" and "paedophile"?

12. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

I don't know why you got that from my post, though I will accept that it may be my fault for not being clear.

You suggested that I may have a problem with the concept of pedophilia. Then I suggested I do indeed have a problem with what you seem to be using as a concept of pedophilia IF that concept involves interest in a boy a day away from being legal pedophilia, but simple homosexuality the very next day.

It is either pedophilia both days or neither of the days.

By this, I am indicating that perhaps the man interested in a 16 year old boy may simply be homosexual, as opposed to a pedophile. If interest in a 17 year and 364 day old is not considered pedophilia, then there seems to be a buffer zone revolving around the (rather arbitrary) legal limit.

Of course, this entire argument of mine seems to assume you are using the local legal age as a base measurement for pedophilia, and that may not be reasonable.

Edit: Wiki defines pedophilia as interest in prepubescent children, so I guess that this case wouldn't be defined as such, and would simply be homosexuality, if you go by Wiki.

13. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Well, this days thing is an intrinsic problem with the idea of paedophilia, where does one draw the line? It isn't clear. If you're trying to say now that this particular case isn't paedophilia then that's a different argument, I can't find that kid's age at the time of the emails in the article in fact.

I thought Bortaz was conflating the terms "homosexual" and "paedophile", given that I was under the impression from the article that the kid was significantly under-age.

Here's another, related problem for you; if a paedophile starts a relationship with, say, a ten-year-old, which continues until the child is say, twenty-five, is that relationship still paedophilic?

14. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

He was 16, so I don't even know if it could possibly be considered pedophilia at all anymore, if Wiki is to be trusted.

15. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

Quck? Why Lunar ... I waited three days. To some, that's all time necessary for a resurrection. :jig:

An agenda ... why little ole me?? :hide:

---------------

Recent articles concerning the alleged knowledge (of Foley) and lack of action from people in-the-know within the GOP are almost as disturbing to me as the scandal itself.

For example:

Americablog

Check out this video from ABC

I don't know if these stories are true ... cripes, I honestly hope they aren't.

16. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

If he was 16 then he would've been completely legal in Australia. But no, I don't think Wikipedia can be trusted on something like this, the application of the term is highly contested.

Personally, I'd like to see subcategories of sexual congress with a minor (or whatever it's called) created so we can distinguish between the various degrees of paedophilia. I mean, some old guy brutally raping a five year old is kind of different to a nineteen year old copping a feel with a "consenting" (admittedly, I'm begging the question there) fifteen year and eleven months old.

17. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

But pedophilia itself is not a crime at all, and I imagine not many criminal codes bother to define it, so the argument over what is pedophilia and what is not is really not a legal matter, but simply a cultural one.

Edit: If you want to hear about strange consent laws, in Florida, the law is that if you are 18-24, you can have sexual relations with a 16-17 year old. If you are older than 24, you cannot have sex with 16-17 year olds. 24 year old can, 25 year old cannot. Makes sense to me?

18. jimmyboy

jimmyboy IncGamers Member

Foley made sexual advance towards a minor boy. You guys can label him anyway you wish, I'm labling him a criminal.

Anyways, I don't know what's more shocking -

1) The crime itself, or
    2) The fact that he's CO-CHAIRMAN of the "Congressional Missing and EXPLOITED children's Caucus," or
    3) Whether it's true that fellow politicians KNEW and KEPT his SECRET.

What I want other than criminal prosecution of Foley is -

1) investigation & prosecution of his fellow politicians for aiding and abetting;
    2) combing the system for other victims
    3) determine how the Hell Foley got to become co-chairman of the group that is suppose to protect children!

19. jimmyboy

jimmyboy IncGamers Member

I think the Florida legislature recognizes that there are many relationship left over from highschool where the age difference may be 4-5 years which carry on to adulthood.

So a senior dating a freshman can be 19 and 14. A couple of years later, the same couple is 22 and 17.

That's the only thing I could think of.

20. myleftfoot

myleftfoot IncGamers Member

Nope, ECI would. We have 2 of them, 1 for each side.