Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The Gemmed Warrior - theorycrafting

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by twillight, Apr 15, 2016.

1. twillight

twillight IncGamers Member

Uhm, seeing the state of the forum/game not much hope for any answer, but as the game re-surfaced again against all my burrying it I ask this:

could a character be made which wears only socketed items filled with gems only? I mean a character that could play solo and finish Hell diff.

Thx for any suggestions.

2. Southpaw8668

Southpaw8668 IncGamers Member

It's possible to finish the entire game naked with certain non melee builds, but extremely difficult as several have proven it can be done right here in the SP threads. Just dig around and I'm sure you will find a past write up on their amazing feats. I myself don't think I could pull it off, as I don't have the patience or skill level just yet. Maybe someday...

3. twillight

I remember an ONLINE TEAM of 8's LEGEND doing it. Not anything else, and I digged around when D2 was popular.

4. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

5. twillight

You know how I know he's bluffing? Because I played the game with a Magic Arrow-zon, and it was painful. @superdave CLAIMS he done a crackedbowzon through Hell, but not even gives the skillset.
    Given with a cracked bow you can't have physical damage enough for anything, I'm convinced he's just bluffing to amuse the crowed.
    Also, he personalized a cracked norm quality item. If it'd be for real, he'd personalize a cracked socketed elite.
    Heck, he don't even know what's the characters' HP (post from 080906).

Norm diff? No problem there with all the character's lvl 30 skills.
    Nightmare diff? With a strong A2 merc and a well-built character it should work out in the end.
    But Hell? There comes the problem. You need speed to run around, hp to buffer dmg, and dmg because if for nothing else the Ancients are regenerating as they have nothing better to do (I once got stuck there with an upped Horadric Staff shocker pala).

6. Teleportation

Teleportation IncGamers Member

Pretty sure superuniques (including the Ancients) don't regen health. Even if they did, there's poison/PMH. You vastly underestimate mercs - they'll smash hell with decent gear.

So, yes, you can finish hell with only gemmed gear, even though it's weak.

7. Southpaw8668

@Twilight - If you create a "Gemmed Warrior Tournament" with just that idea, people here will honestly prove that it either can or can't be done. Make a challenge interesting enough an you'll draw in even the most veteran players from lurkerville, who could probably pull off the feat.

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  8. twillight

Heck, let's try this out then.

Core rules:
    - anything that can be socketed (helm, armor, weapon, shield) to be used on the player must be white or grey (cracked/normal/superior). No magic, rare, set or unique at those slots.
    - For Gloves/Boots/Belt/Rings/Amulet anything goes.
    - in sockets only gems can be inserted (any quality)
    - player x is valid
    - no extended stash (you can not import what you export - shouldn't need this anyway given the restrictions)
    - single pass (at least until Hell Ancients. Must be noted if you go and gain more levels there)
    - single life

Optional rules:
    - no items allowed which can not be socketed
    - only cracked/low quality/crude/low quality items allowed
    - restrictions apply on mercs too

Obligations:
    - must give printscreen of backpack + stash content per finished difficulty (just to give general idea, no need every item's attribs)
    - must give all charms-in-backpack attribs (no need picture) and all equipped stuff (with picture - edit them to one picture) per finished difficulty
    - if you do a "naked run" (like using only cracked stuff + no amu/ring, or no equipment at all), you must record your fight with Hell Ancients to us showing all your equipment too in the video (including charms)

Extra Bragging Rights:
    - if you use cracked elite items socketed by the three runequests

---------

I think the easiest go would be trap assa (although Hell Ancients might be a problem), summon necro or sorceress.
    Yes, you may use class-specific items - as long as they are white/grey, according to the rules.

I took a sorceress. I'm in Act 2 currently, using Firebolt, will respec at lvl 30 to Frozen Orb.
    Merc was a fire A1 (free), changed to Prayer A2.
    Using helm*2 chipped sapphire, and previously used chipped topazes in weapons. Usually dismissed emeralds. Concentrating on collecting diamonds (aiming monarch shield when it comes,and diamonds are the only realsource of resistance here. No Smoke armor or such). Managed to avoid using up more gems until now.

Strange note is, the only thing not giving elemental damage is the amethyst. Given there won't be +XXX% damage on weapons (neither weapon ias), weapon-users don't seem attractive to me. Still, something long with 6 amethyst makes Enchant considerable.
    Plan is mana or health gems in helm/armour, and diamonds in shields. Later maybe skulls in helm/armour.
    The lack of +skills and major fcr will hurt too.

Lightning enchanted bosses/scarabs are a scare given almost no resists at this point.

NDE: in the Maggots' Lair I walked through some door, and ZOUNDS of scarabs hit me. Fortunately teleport saved me with almost empty life orb. Gave more point to vitality there. Hint: let the merc enter rooms, especially in Maggot's Lair.

NOTE: i'm playing in single w/o the 1.10 ladder rws, using core rules of this tournament. Might change my mind later.

Funny: since ages I have a Tome of Identification in my backpack.

Tell if this needs a new thread.

9. Southpaw8668

@twillight - I'm not really sure if you need to start a dedicated tournament thread to kick this off, but my gut says you probably want to for more possible interest. Did you create your tournament listing from the SPF tournament hosting guide in the stickies area? I will give this a shot as I opened my big mouth and suggested that you create it in the first place and however crazy hard it seems, it still peaks my interest as just how far can I take a Gemmed Warrior into this game? I'm thinking mid-NM like almost all of my other heroes in the more restrictive tournaments that I've joined.

10. Teleportation

Teleportation IncGamers Member

Might give this a try once I'm done having fun with ladder reset.

11. twillight

12. Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop IncGamers Member

Never mind, answered my own question.

13. superdave

superdave IncGamers Member

Are you not entertained!?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  14. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

You forgot to add the picture.